• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple News is trash

On average, this is what I see when I open Apple News on my iPhone:

IMG-5198.png

why do they show me a notification that a story is being blocked instead of just populating it with an unblocked news source? this is one of the stupidest design choices I have ever seen in an app. The app is completely worthless if scrolling through it just an opportunity to view a series of blocked notifications.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Lol. What’s funny is that GAF forum does the same thing for ignored users.

but yeah, that would be even more annoying the way it’s laid out there.

Dark Star

Yeah Apple News isn't very friendly. I prefer the other news apps like SmartNews or NewsBreak, NPR, BBC, even Google News app is way better.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
That is an odd design decision. But if you really like reading magazines and a plethora of newspapers, the $9.99/month for News+ is impossible to beat. Sure one can edit their way around paywall mechanisms or use extensions/plug-ins, but the convenience of the app across platforms is great (assuming one uses more than one Apple device).

Another is even after you subscribe to apple news there's still ads. The algorithm isn't great either, I must have accidentally clicked on a football story and now I'm inundated with Messi news even after suggesting less.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I love it. I have News+ though, so having access to many otherwise paid sources is worth any usability shortcomings.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Ugh
Why even use a paywalled source in the first place?
Because if you sub to News+ those paywalled sources are now available to read. The sub to Wall Street Journal, The National Review, Bon Appetite, and others alone are worth the cost per month for me. It's essentially a Netflix for news & magazines.

Top Bottom