• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

I suppose this is the correct place to ask this, so forgive me if it isn't.

I've downloaded the Voxel Icon pack, but my stock G2 doesn't recognize that I have new icons. I tried using a different launcher and it worked just fine, but then I lost some functionality with the knock feature. Is there a way to get the icons on the stock launcher?

BIGWORM

I suppose this is the correct place to ask this, so forgive me if it isn't.

I've downloaded the Voxel Icon pack, but my stock G2 doesn't recognize that I have new icons. I tried using a different launcher and it worked just fine, but then I lost some functionality with the knock feature. Is there a way to get the icons on the stock launcher?

With the stock launcher, IIRC, you'll have to root your phone and install Xposed framework, then purchase Unicon from the Play Store.

With the stock launcher, IIRC, you'll have to root your phone and install Xposed framework, then purchase Unicon from the Play Store.

Ah, gotcha. I suppose I'll have to go ahead and do that. Haven't even bothered with rooting it since it did nearly everything I wanted right out of the box. It was fun rooting my other devices though, so I guess I'll give a shot. Thanks for the info!

Pachimari

What is great comic book reader for Android? I got Comics from ComiXology but it seems to only be for payed comics. I want one where I can read the comics I already own and have scanned in.

CM Browser is working good for the most part. But everytime I open it there seems to be 7 or so tabs open with old shit I had closed or stuff that shouldn't be still open. I'm constantly having to go through and close a bunch of tab.

And today, on a website there was an option to enter a zip code for best price and no box to put the zip code into. That really bothers me. I had to open up another browser to find where the zip code box was.

Prolly gonna just go back to Dolphin.

supergiz

Has anyone tried the app called thumb? It's like that thread on neogaf "questions too stupid to make a thread for" turned into an app.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else have battery drain issues with Fleksy? I like the app but if it's going to take 15%+ of my battery I'm not going to use it. It's the third highest in terms of consumption on my phone.

Edwardo

Having some small issues with Shuttle Music Player on my HTC One.

Occasionally it won't allow me to get to the Library menu on the top left. I press it over and over and the menu won't come up. Same thing when I try to swipe up to get to the currently playing song while i'm scrolling through music. This can be fixed by closing and re-opening the app.

Also, shuffle doesn't always work. I'll turn it off and it'll still shuffle, or sometimes i'll turn shuffle on and it won't shuffle.

Just curious if anyone else has had these problems.

linkboy

Anyone else have battery drain issues with Fleksy? I like the app but if it's going to take 15%+ of my battery I'm not going to use it. It's the third highest in terms of consumption on my phone.

I used it for a little bit, but then I went back to the LG keyboard, so I never got to test the battery hit.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

No.

We just got a cheap(ish) tablet for us to use on our upcoming holiday to San Francisco. Thought it would be useful to use to plan stuff, have access to area info, keep track of things as we're going along. We have our phones (that will be in airplane mode... roaming charges can go fuck themselves) but to be honest, it's so much easier for us to use a tablet together than trying to get stuff up on our phones and have to keep passing them back and forth. I like the idea that we can get a bit lost, find somewhere to grab a coffee and whilst sitting there look at maps or something to see where we are and what there is to do, etc.

Can anyone recommend any useful apps to make our holiday a bit more fun. Town guides, food guides... and probably some other stuff that I haven't even thought of yet. This is our first holiday on our own together since we met (9yrs ago) so to say that I haven't got a clue is an understatement.

Oh, the tablet is a Galaxy Tab 4.

We just got a cheap(ish) tablet for us to use on our upcoming holiday to San Francisco. Thought it would be useful to use to plan stuff, have access to area info, keep track of things as we're going along. We have our phones (that will be in airplane mode... roaming charges can go fuck themselves) but to be honest, it's so much easier for us to use a tablet together than trying to get stuff up on our phones and have to keep passing them back and forth. I like the idea that we can get a bit lost, find somewhere to grab a coffee and whilst sitting there look at maps or something to see where we are and what there is to do, etc.

Can anyone recommend any useful apps to make our holiday a bit more fun. Town guides, food guides... and probably some other stuff that I haven't even thought of yet. This is our first holiday on our own together since we met (9yrs ago) so to say that I haven't got a clue is an understatement.

Oh, the tablet is a Galaxy Tab 4.

Trip Advisor San Francisco

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tripadvisor.android.apps.cityguide.sanfrancisco&hl=en-GB

Can download everything (including maps) before leaving, so you do navigation on your tablet whilst in SF without any data charges.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So, pocket casts. Curious about this because I can sync my podcasts between my iPad and nexus 4. But the auto cleanup seems limited compared to downcast on my iPad. Basically I want to keep all unplayed episodes of a podcast, and then for the app to delete them after I have listened to them. Will it do that, or do I have to do it manually? Seems like it only lets me keep a few episodes

Alternatively I'd welcome any other recommendations for podcast apps. Main things I need is different settings per subscription (some download, some streaming), and good cleanup rules

So, pocket casts. Curious about this because I can sync my podcasts between my iPad and nexus 4. But the auto cleanup seems limited compared to downcast on my iPad. Basically I want to keep all unplayed episodes of a podcast, and then for the app to delete them after I have listened to them. Will it do that, or do I have to do it manually? Seems like it only lets me keep a few episodes

Alternatively I'd welcome any other recommendations for podcast apps. Main things I need is different settings per subscription (some download, some streaming), and good cleanup rules

Yep, it'll delete them automatically once you've listened to them.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Reddit News beta is really nice. It's material. Somewhat.

NotBacon

I prefer Reddit Sync pro (although I'm not sure exactly what the 'sync' button does), and it's also getting a material update.

Reddit News beta is materialy, but still needs some work. It has too many floating action buttons, it still has some holo elements, and the animations don't always make sense(one of the primary goals of MD).

moojito

One reddit app worth checking out is flow. I was hunting around for a good one for a while and this one stuck. It has a nice dark green theme which is easy on the eyes for reading in bed.

Silentium

One reddit app worth checking out is flow. I was hunting around for a good one for a while and this one stuck. It has a nice dark green theme which is easy on the eyes for reading in bed.
Only thing to note is that the developer has stopped supporting/updating flow.

Just bought Link Bubble (on sale for $2.5 down from $5 (AUS)). Think of it like FB chat heads but for links. Works really well for me with Reddit Sync and Talon for Twitter.

PaulLFC

Just bought Link Bubble (on sale for $2.5 down from $5 (AUS)). Think of it like FB chat heads but for links. Works really well for me with Reddit Sync and Talon for Twitter.
Thanks for this, tried Link Bubble and it's fantastic. Really great idea that I never thought I'd need but now can't see myself using my phone without, the longer I use it. It's perfect for Reddit clients and Twitter apps.

It does have a 24 hour trial but I bought premium within half an hour of installing it, the idea is so good.

I just hope they can improve the "auto expand when loaded" behaviour a little bit - this works for some links, but with some, the bubble expands before the page is fully loaded. That along with Youtube fullscreen not working from inside link bubbles are my only issues so far.

Pachimari

Only thing to note is that the developer has stopped supporting/updating flow.

Thanks for this, tried Link Bubble and it's fantastic. Really great idea that I never thought I'd need but now can't see myself using my phone without, the longer I use it. It's perfect for Reddit clients and Twitter apps.

It does have a 24 hour trial but I bought premium within half an hour of installing it, the idea is so good.

I just hope they can improve the "auto expand when loaded" behaviour a little bit - this works for some links, but with some, the bubble expands before the page is fully loaded. That along with Youtube fullscreen not working from inside link bubbles are my only issues so far.
I don't understand how to open the links though. Everytime I open a link it just opens in Chrome and not in the link bubble.

I have link bubble set to default.

Also, is there any app that presents my movies stored on the phone beautifully?
To my understanding, Plex and XBMC only works with movies on the network.

PaulLFC

I don't understand how to open the links though. Everytime I open a link it just opens in Chrome and not in the link bubble.

I have link bubble set to default.

Also, is there any app that presents my movies stored on the phone beautifully?
To my understanding, Plex and XBMC only works with movies on the network.
What app are you opening links from that is opening in Chrome? In Link Bubble settings, try the "set default" again (I had to do that 2 or 3 times before it stuck), make sure it's set to 'always' default, and check the "Intercept links from" option in Link Bubble that the app you're opening links from (Twitter, reddit sync, etc) is ticked in the list.

Failing that, I saw in the FAQs that Link Bubble runs as a service, so maybe some sort of battery management is closing it down?

Bboy AJ

See how you can navigate your Android device using only your voice with the help of AutoVoice, AutoInput and Tasker! And all this is possible without rooting your device!

[]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRLt9-OHbls[/url]
More trouble than it's worth. It's easier just to use the phone. I guess it could be useful in a car but Now handles most of the important functions already.

New phone and therefore I need a new Twitter app!

Is there anything out there that will use a full screen widget to display tweets etc? The idea of opening an app as opposed to flicking to another screen with a widget is too much to bare.

wilflare

is there a guide on how we should backup the phone?

gonna reformat my Android soon :/ My Note3 needs some good firmware upgrade love

jwk94

Guys what are some good texting apps? I use GoSMS but I want something different. I've been using SimplyText for the past month and I loved it but lord is it slow.

Requirements:
Pop-up texts
Fast

Optional but would love:
A quick text option from the notification window.
SimplySMS displayed your three most frequently contacted people and you could click on their name from the notification window which would bring up a pop up that you could text from. I'd love something like that but AFAIK it's only available in SimplyText.

Thanks!

Guys what are some good texting apps? I use GoSMS but I want something different. I've been using SimplyText for the past month and I loved it but lord is it slow.

Requirements:
Pop-up texts
Fast

Optional but would love:
A quick text option from the notification window.
SimplySMS displayed your three most frequently contacted people and you could click on their name from the notification window which would bring up a pop up that you could text from. I'd love something like that but AFAIK it's only available in SimplyText.

Thanks!

I'm using Textra. I love it

Top Bottom