• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April 2013 NPD Sales Results [Up3: Xbox 360 Top Platform, NSMBU LTD, Lego 3DS, Luigi]

UberTag

I wonder if during June Sony can actually go for the combo breaker and claim the top console spot in the US.

100k vs. 130k isn't a huge difference, and with The Last of Us releasing early in the month, that may be enough to push more units than the 360.
I'd say it's likely unless Microsoft announces an X360 price drop at E3... which they almost undoubtedly will.
Can't wait until this fall when we'll get no clear sales figures from anyone and all of the console sales numbers will be consolidated between systems.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Upping the thread because of this

05l.jpg

From the last Analyst Briefing. We know how much 360 sold (130k), and from that we can have concrete extrapolations. Who's doing it?

jvm

Gamasutra.
Ok, doing this and updating.

Xbox bar is 93 pixels. That's approximately 1.398K/px.

Xbox 360 = 93px = 130K (standard used for others)
3DS = 81px ≈ 113K
PS3 = 73px ≈ 102K
NDS = 34px ≈ 47.5K
Wii = 30px ≈ 42K
Wii U = 27px ≈ 37.7K
PSV = 14px ≈ 19.5K
PSP = 5px ≈ 7K

We knew that the total hardware was around 490K. This totals to 499K. I think there's some error accumulation here.

Edit: I should add that I've since been told that the official figure for the Wii was 42K and for the Wii U was 37K. So there's some additional confirmation for those figures... tiny errors.

Mpl90

Ok, doing this and updating.

Xbox bar is 93 pixels. That's approximately 1.398K/px.

Xbox 360 = 93px = 130K (standard used for others)
3DS = 81px ≈ 113K
PS3 = 73px ≈ 102K
NDS = 34px ≈ 47.5K
Wii = 30px ≈ 42K
Wii U = 27px ≈ 37.7K
PSV = 14px ≈ 19.5K
PSP = 5px ≈ 7K

We knew that the total hardware was around 490K. This totals to 499K. I think there's some error accumulation here.

Edit: I should add that I've since been told that the official figure for the Wii was 42K and for the Wii U was 37K. So there's some additional confirmation for those figures... tiny errors.

Thanks! Do you have the official 3DS number for April 2012? I remember the estimate was around 125k-130k, so better than this year, but again, from the Analyst Briefing

The successive releases of other much-anticipated titles since then have more than doubled total first-party software sales counting from April compared to last year. Thanks to the revitalized Nintendo 3DS software market, the sales pace of the hardware has also showed a year-on-year increase since April in spite of a sharp decrease in the size of the entire U.S. video game market.

donny2112

WiiU had Resident Evil: Revelations

This is April's NPD, so RE:R is "next" month. It had second-month sales of LEGO City and MH3U, but not sure what else. However, systems that are alive in the U.S. are supposed to still sell even when there aren't major releases in that particular month. Don't think Wii U would qualify as "alive" in the U.S. (except in the most basic sense of it's on the shelves and not 0 sales), though.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Thanks! Do you have the official 3DS number for April 2012? I remember the estimate was around 125k-130k, so better than this year, but again, from the Analyst Briefing
I have 126K in my personal spreadsheet of figures. That's unofficial, of course.

Are you suggesting that they believe 3DS sales were greater than 128K for May 2013, based on that statement to investors? That's what I'm guessing you're getting at.

Upping the thread because of this

05l.jpg

From the last Analyst Briefing. We know how much 360 sold (130k), and from that we can have concrete extrapolations. Who's doing it?

Thanks to the Total it should be possible to find out the Europe numbers if we know what the US and Japan sold, right?

Mpl90

I have 126K in my personal spreadsheet of figures. That's unofficial, of course.

Are you suggesting that they believe 3DS sales were greater than 128K for May 2013, based on that statement to investors? That's what I'm guessing you're getting at.

Considering US datas come from NPD (it's said in the graphs), it' not that they believe that, but NPD believe that. And I'd say it' more like 3DS doing less than around 113k last year.

The NPD data for May 2013 will be released at market close on Monday, June 17th (4 PM EDT), because they didn't want the release of the data to clash with all of the industry / investor meetings occurring June 11th-13th.

Why is NPD data so much harder to come by than it was during the old sonycowboy days?

Because they have aggressively clamped down on it. In the old days, GAF could perhaps fly under the radar. Further -- and I'm not sure about this -- but I've heard some talk about numbers being slightly different depending on who they're released to. Now, I don't know, so forgive me if I'm simply ill informed, but what I'm getting at is that if someone said "I'm releasing these numbers, come at me bro: Game X sold 563,367 copies, System Y sold 126,832 units, etc.," it's possible that they can trace that back to the source and that person could be in some hot water.

Top Bottom