• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate |OT| Once more unto the glitch

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
did you pre order on PS4 ? there was a pre-load for it last week
like I said above, go to your library (all the way to the right) and just click on the game in there. It should start downloading.

Also make sure you have enough free space (~41GB). I believe it doesn't give you the "Download" option post-checkout in the store if you don't have enough available space.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
like I said above, go to your library (all the way to the right) and just click on the game in there. It should start downloading.

Also make sure you have enough free space (~41GB). I believe it doesn't give you the "Download" option post-checkout in the store if you don't have enough available space.

Starting it from the library gave me the download option Thanks.

Ibuki

Banned
Were any Xbox One copies given for review? Really curious about performance since the PS4 version seems to be running pretty well.

Roussow

Any first hand impressions in here? I'm pretty sold (I need something to fill the void until Fallout). My biggest concern is with the mission design itself, I can't remember much memorable stuff from Unity, outside of the first few missions. I'm a touch worried I might get sick of the game long before finishing it -- given it's only a single city (albeit a massive city), I'm interested to know what the variety is like.

Put a couple of hours into the PS4 version. Big fan of the series and enjoying it so far. Combat feels better and tighter, as does the free running. Two main characters have a lot of personality - can definitely see the Ezio comparisons. Have played every game in the series but the setting here helps it feel fresher than usual. Hard to explain - maybe it's just seeing horses and carriages etc, but it feels a bit less 'samey' than before.

Lime

Maybe it's just the way the gameplay videos I've seen are cut together, but does the soundtrack seem a bit... grating to anyone else? It's weird, I love this composer's stuff generally.

The reactions I've heard from reviewers is that it's a really great soundtrack. I don't know, haven't really put my ear into it yet.

RE_Player

I'm so excited to pick this up tomorrow. Have a friend and we are going to start at the same time and chat while we each go through the story.

Maybe it's just the way the gameplay videos I've seen are cut together, but does the soundtrack seem a bit... grating to anyone else? It's weird, I love this composer's stuff generally.

It actually tends to stay in the background unless there's something major going on. I really enjoyed the soundtrack this time around after not caring in other titles.

It actually tends to stay in the background unless there's something major going on. I really enjoyed the soundtrack this time around after not caring in other titles.

That's good to hear. I was watching Gamersyde's video of the intro and I was getting really irritated with the repeating theme, but I just watched some other videos and I quite like it. I guess it's really going to depend on how it's used for me.

Karak

Ya the use of negative space in the soundtrack is awesome. There is lots of times that it lets the world sounds seep into the actual gameplay and then sort of filters back in. Great soundtrack just a bit different than past games.

I guess so, I did exploit Mortal Kombat X getting it on release day and got the $10 rebate.

Also surprise the OT doesn't mention the season pass is $30 apparently.

what's up with bestbuy?

seriously...wtf lol

posted in bestbuy gaming support forums so we'll see. hopefully its just a mistake.

While obviously less convenient, you should still be able to preorder the standard version in stores. I went and did it a few hours ago because I couldn't do it online. Sucks that it isn't available online, luckily for me my Best Buy is really close to my house.

RedAssedApe

Banned
While obviously less convenient, you should still be able to preorder the standard version in stores. I went and did it a few hours ago because I couldn't do it online. Sucks that it isn't available online, luckily for me my Best Buy is really close to my house.

Yeah. The problem is, my local Best Buy generally doesn't let me use my brother's GCU in person so I usually place the order online using his account and store pickup in my name :(

Best Buy Support Forums chimed in when a few of us asked there.

Best Buy Bill said:
Hello everyone-

I apologize that you are currently not able to pre-order the regular versions of Assassin’s Creed Syndicate on Xbox One or PlayStation 4.

With the game launching tomorrow, my understanding is that pre-orders for these two versions are locked as they prepare for release. It’s possible that it may be fixed yet this evening and you could still place a pre-order, but my best recommendation would be to go to your local store to pre-order if you want to make sure you get in time.

I apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause you.

Let me add that this does not mean that we oversold copies of either version, that is not correct.

That is how their e-mails for pre-orders always look. They always send you an e-mail the day before with "your order is ready for pickup" in the subject line

But they won't let you pickup the game until the date referenced in the actual body of the message if they haven't been authorized to break the street date. :(
You were right, I went there and they wouldn't let me get it. They also wouldn't let me trade in batman, which i pre ordered online and picked up at the store. They said I can only trade it back in online, and that this is a specific rule just for Long Island stores. Complete bullshit.

Ralemont

not me
Yeah. The problem is, my local Best Buy generally doesn't let me use my brother's GCU in person so I usually place the order online using his account and store pickup in my name :(

Best Buy Support Forums chimed in when a few of us asked there.

:/

I don't exactly have a Best Buy next to my house and I don't feel particularly good about dropping $72 for the Gold Edition. Considering you can still buy the latter his explanation sounds like BS.

Spoo

Despite my absolute hatred for Unity, I decided to get this. The reviews indicate to me that it's more in line with what I want out of an Assassins Creed game, but also the music is sublime in what I've seen.

Maybe I'm just trying to fill a void left by not getting into the Doom alpha. But I'm probably just trying to legitimize the purchase since Unity stung so much.

Oh well, here's hoping.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I heard there's a love story in this game? For real? Who asked for that?

The twins find out they aren't really related at all.
Bow chicka bow wow ;)

:/

I don't exactly have a Best Buy next to my house and I don't feel particularly good about dropping $72 for the Gold Edition. Considering you can still buy the latter his explanation sounds like BS.

yeah i asked about that. haha...we'll see how he responds.

Why did they change the blood effects? Really cartoonish and going by videos they got rid of the dynamic blood stains on clothes depending on where you hit someone :/

SJRB

Picked it up after work today, played up until the grappling hook unlock.

So far the game is pretty okay. The story is a joke, but it almost seems that the game itself realises this as well. Especially the modern-day stuff is so random and hastily pushed out the door that it made me scratch my head thinking why they even bothered in the first place. Perhaps it'll lead somewhere, but as of yet it's random as hell. Both stories are. The game barely bothers to set up these characters, or any overarching narrative other than "this evil Templar guy is controlling London, he's an asshole and he must die".
Jacob is such a annoying moron, just as I expected. Evie is much better in that regard, but they're both not exactly the brightest. They're basically two arrogant and spoilt brats thinking they'll "liberate" London for the lulz. These characters are a far cry [huehue] from characters like Altair, who treat the Assassin's creed [huehue] like a religion, whereas the Frye twins basically whipe their ass with it.

Gameplay is okay. Combat feels wonky as hell, and unfortunately freerunning does too. There is this bizarre animation "glitch" where, when you want to scale a wall, the caracter bumps into the wall and stops for a split second. It just completely breaks pace and immersion. Seriously, try it yourself. R2 + X while running towards a wall.

Music is incredible at one moment, and makes me want to turn off my headset the next. Especially the bizarre violin "freestyle" is like nails on a chalkboard.

So far the performance is solid. No crazy bugs, no massive framerate issues. Graphics look indeed kinda scaled down from Unity, especially from higher up the buildings seem way less poly'd. Enemy AI is still garbage, stealth is still a joke. But you know, it is what it is. As long as you go in knowing these elements are shit, you won't be surprised.

sjay1994

So, I decided to skip out on this and just watch the cutscenes on youtube

Story spoilers:
Wow, this is some of the dumbest tripe I've seen. This series entire narrative has gone to shit. I'm officially done with AC

So, I decided to skip out on this and just watch the cutscenes on youtube

Story spoilers:
Wow, this is some of the dumbest tripe I've seen. This series entire narrative has gone to shit. I'm officially done with AC

Can you elaborate without spoiling it? I don't particularly enjoy the AC gameplay but was going to pick this up due to the praise for the story and characters

Top Bottom