• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan Final Season Part 3 Trailer

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
NKfQvKR.jpg

Coconutt

AoT is the only franchise I've been able to say this about, the ending completely ruined this franchise for me. I can't think of any other franchise that missed the landing as hard as AoT, it's quite amazing actually. More excited about people's reaction to the ending than the actual ending itself.

AoT is the only franchise I've been able to say this about, the ending completely ruined this franchise for me. I can't think of any other franchise that missed the landing as hard as AoT, it's quite amazing actually. More excited about people's reaction to the ending than the actual ending itself.
It’s gotten better over time for me, but yeah could’ve gone in multiple better directions. But this was the author’s vision so let him have it. It’s realistic at least

Doom85

We’ll see, this could be the vocal minority making it appear most hated the ending. For the record, when the mangaka was at a panel last year at a convention, he apologized if anyone had been let down by the ending. He was shocked to be met with a standing ovation filled with cries of “we love you!” and such. The anime onlys may not have as high a negative reaction as some are expecting.

kunonabi

I've couldn't even make it to the ending. I found the love story with the chicks so boring that I just lost interest in the whole thing. After reading the ending it doesn't look like I missed much.

Spyxos

It looks much worse than the last time I saw it. I got out after Season 2 and only read the manga after that.

Mappa did a great job, wtf you smoking?
I sure do love CGI Titans and boring 1:1 paneling.

This is the only animated sequence in both MAPPA productions that captured the high octane action and quality that WIT brought to the table and made the show noticed in the first place. It wasn't even a MAPPA staff member apparently he was freelance. Lol.

MAPPA sucks, people need to realize this.

the feeling of the series definitely shifted when Mappa took over. Maybe it’s caused by the shift in tone in plot (logic I’ve heard)

But AoT seasons 1-3 were terrifying, but also hype (music had a lot to do with this). It was a perfect mix and some of those action sequences are the best ever (haven’t seen similar from Mappa yet). I’ll never forget the first encounter between Levi and Zeke

Mappa I guess gave the series a more realistic, solemn vibe? The libertario arc was so well done - the closest to capturing the buildup/hype of seasons 1-3, but my belief is this sequence is essentially the climax (maybe not literally but it’s a very important event everyone was looking forward to) - it was going to be good no matter who made it (unless they were truly awful). Most of season 4 on was not great animation wise - maybe because they were trying to cover so many chapters but most of season 4 was a lot of walking around, timskips, just moving the story along. The latest episode Mappa captured some of that initial season 1-3 magic again

Last edited:

This is the only animated sequence in both MAPPA productions that captured the high octane action and quality that WIT brought to the table and made the show noticed in the first place. It wasn't even a MAPPA staff member apparently he was freelance. Lol.

Agreed, Mappa hasn’t even done anything yet to rival the season 3 episodes 1-2 (intro of Kenny) - amazing high octane action

nicoGec

Neo Member
I wasn’t the biggest fan of the manga ending but the series still is in the top 3 best anime/manga I’ve seen, one of the chapters that will be adapted in this special is some peak fiction shit.

Mappa’s doing a great job, and it’s looking better than the other parts, but I agree about Wit knocking it out of the park more often, they used the soundtrack like absolute masters, the Reiner reveal scene in season 2 is unforgettable.

Last edited:

pramod

Well just so you know - season 3 is not only the best AoT season, it’s also among the best television ever (not just anime)

Yeah i admit to not having watched a ton of anime, but AoT season 2 and especially 3 is so far beyond anything else i have experienced in terms of story, action, pacing, art, everything.

Last edited:

YCoCg

I think they jumped the gun calling it the "Final" season a few years back and have been scratching it ever since, it's hilarious how there's more seasons in the "Final" than normal AoT.

M03YtheM0

Been watching since 2018, and I couldn't believe how much better it was than anything live action (that I had seen anyway), and I feel your pain bro, I'm only really tuned in because as nonsensical as it has gotten, the quality from scene to scene kinda still holds up (as someone who has basically checked out of the MCU after a decade, I can tell you that it could be worse).
Not that it means anything but, sorry bro.

M03YtheM0

Waiting until they release Part 4 next year. This should be subtitled to: Attack of Titan Season 3: We're not quite done milkin' 'er just yet!
I know right?! This is a nitpick I know, but what's up with the whole part this part that structure anyway, why not just call them new seasons,

LordOfChaos

I'm actually going to say, don't watch it! They sort of just tell you a major thing a lot of us have been wondering about. The shorter teaser a month ago was hype though.

LordOfChaos

Agreed, Mappa hasn’t even done anything yet to rival the season 3 episodes 1-2 (intro of Kenny) - amazing high octane action

I have to agree, Wit Studio did amazing work on Levi vs Kenny, Levi vs Female Titan, Levi vs Beast Titan round one...Wait I'm noticing what their favorite is lol. Haven't seen anything like that with the studio switch, even the follow up beast titan fight just felt flat and not as vividly three dimensional.

There were a number of parts in the final final final final final season that were visibly bad too, the N64 ground textures, that one weird episode where it avoided animating anyone's mouth, the dock fight being 5 fps. But still, when they do good, they're at least good enough. Season 2 of Vinland Saga is also Mappa and they've done great work there, if it's at least that good I'm happy, and being two short movie sized chunks give me hope they gave this extra attention.

Last edited:

RaduN

Personally i haven't read the manga, but i find it downright impossible to believe that the ending could be more complete and utter shit, than that of Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead.
Hope i won't eat my own words 😅

I read the manga until it got weird with
the people were transforming into the large creature humans
and then I dropped it. The show or manga has a really good thing going for it. The premise is interesting until they throw a bunch of stuff at you and you just have to deal with it.

Coconutt

Personally i haven't read the manga, but i find it downright impossible to believe that the ending could be more complete and utter shit, than that of Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead.
Hope i won't eat my own words 😅
Its up there for sure for bad endings for me, it took such a huge nosedive for me that it feels like a complete different, incompetent author finished the last few chapters. The last chapter ruined not just the story but some of my favorite characters as well.

RaduN

Its up there for sure for bad endings for me, it took such a huge nosedive for me that it feels like a complete different, incompetent author finished the last few chapters. The last chapter ruined not just the story but some of my favorite characters as well.
Now i'm really curious.

Is it known already when the final final final...final part of the anime will air?

FeralEcho

Attack on Titan the final season Part 3 the final part part 1....Just rolls off the tongue doesn't it?!

If they werent separating it yet again I'd be excited,as it stands right now though I'll watch it whenevwr it really finishes.

Coconutt

Now i'm really curious.

Is it known already when the final final final...final part of the anime will air?
No idea, I think the final season has been split multiple times as it is, who knows if they will split it again. I think they have already shown the first half of the final season, there are 2 more parts left for the final season.

How does it compare to Game of Thrones Season 8 or Star Wars Episode 9: The Rise of Skywalker?

Coconutt

How does it compare to Game of Thrones Season 8 or Star Wars Episode 9: The Rise of Skywalker?
More comparable to Game of Thrones, started out amazing but went to complete shit at the end. I used to call Attack on Titan my favorite manga until the ending of the last arc, I hated where they went with the story and some of my favorite characters were butchered (Looking at you Reiner)

More comparable to Game of Thrones, started out amazing but went to complete shit at the end. I used to call Attack on Titan my favorite manga until the ending of the last arc, I hated where they went with the story and some of my favorite characters were butchered (Looking at you Reiner)
I admittedly have never watched AoT. Something about that first season rubbed me the wrong way, so I decided to wait until it ended to know what fans really thought of it before giving it a second chance.

I’m more forgiving when it comes to anime than I am with live action, so sometimes I will let things slide if I was at least entertained for 3/4 of the experience. While saying that I will admit that there were some shows that upset me because of how bad of a turn they took or how much wasted potential was there.

There are quite a few popular anime that I’ve heard rumblings of or great things about multiple times and thought the creators dropped the ball once I finally took the time to watch them. Let me know if AoT belongs somewhere on this list:

Big O - Horrible twist and ending
Fairy Tale - ran out of steam halfway through and kept going for too long
Seven Deadly Sins - the introduction of power levels is when the show went off the rails into stupidity
Rurouni Kenshin - Everything after Shishio
Psycho Pass - Became much worse in writing after season 1
Yu Yu Hakusho - Final two arcs felt like an unfinished work that wasn’t cleaned up and then put onto screen as is
Dragon Ball Super - Power creep and more power creep
Inuyasha - endless
Death Note - questionable writing and asspulls in the second half from all parties
Sword art online - No direction after season 1
Shield Hero - No direction after season 1
Naruto Shippuden - secret final boss no one cared about, and pacing issues in the second half
Boruto- kind of directionless, kind of not and it feels like an extended Shippuden epilogue that still has yet to end.

I’ll stop here but you can kind of see where I’m coming from. I don’t hate any of these shows. I’ve enjoyed quite a bit of them, but at the same time, they couldn’t stick the landing in some way shape or form or simply ended up as ‘just okay 🤷‍♂️’ I have a feeling AoT is going to end up like that based on feedback.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

haha Floch was such a bitch

Last edited:

BlackTron

I admittedly have never watched AoT. Something about that first season rubbed me the wrong way, so I decided to wait until it ended to know what fans really thought of it before giving it a second chance.

I’m more forgiving when it comes to anime than I am with live action, so sometimes I will let things slide if I was at least entertained for 3/4 of the experience. While saying that I will admit that there were some shows that upset me because of how bad of a turn they took or how much wasted potential was there.

There are quite a few popular anime that I’ve heard rumblings of or great things about multiple times and thought the creators dropped the ball once I finally took the time to watch them. Let me know if AoT belongs somewhere on this list:

Seven Deadly Sins - the introduction of power levels is when the show went off the rails into stupidity
Yu Yu Hakusho - Final two arcs felt like an unfinished work that wasn’t cleaned up and then put onto screen as is
Inuyasha - endless
Death Note - questionable writing and asspulls in the second half from all parties
Naruto Shippuden - secret final boss no one cared about, and pacing issues in the second half
Boruto- kind of directionless, kind of not and it feels like an extended Shippuden epilogue that still has yet to end.

I’ll stop here but you can kind of see where I’m coming from. I don’t hate any of these shows. I’ve enjoyed quite a bit of them, but at the same time, they couldn’t stick the landing in some way shape or form or simply ended up as ‘just okay 🤷‍♂️’ I have a feeling AoT is going to end up like that based on feedback.

I got burned out on anime long ago due to issues cited above. I still dabble but hardly the anime binging machine I used to be.

Do you have an anti-list to this? I mean it seems you get pissed off at anime for exactly the same reasons I do so I'm curious what you have to say about better ones.

Edit: In fact I did the exact same move watching season 1 of AoT and resisted everyone's hype to keep up pending the conclusion. I just didn't want to get invested. I didn't watch Game of Thrones beyond S1 either during the same time period...kinda glad now lol.

Last edited:

Coconutt

Inuyasha - endless

Not sure which of those would be comparable, to me the ending for AoT was worse than any of the ones listed above (of the anime I have seen.) Maybe it just feels worse cause AoT used to be my favorite manga before the ending came out.

I got burned out on anime long ago due to issues cited above. I still dabble but hardly the anime binging machine I used to be.

Do you have an anti-list to this? I mean it seems you get pissed off at anime for exactly the same reasons I do so I'm curious what you have to say about better ones.

Edit: In fact I did the exact same move watching season 1 of AoT and resisted everyone's hype to keep up pending the conclusion. I just didn't want to get invested. I didn't watch Game of Thrones beyond S1 either during the same time period...kinda glad now lol.
Anti-List:

Cowboy Bebop - Told the story it needed to tell greatly, and didn’t overstay it’s welcome. World building was great as well but obviously treated as more of a cool thing rather than something to concentrate on.
Samurai Champloo - Same as Cowboy Bebop(mostly) and I liked the unique combination of hip hop and a samurai tale.
Avatar the Last Airbender - I count this as anime. Other than the slow start in the first few episodes, the pacing, world building, lore, character writing, and action were all top notch. Aang still stands out as one of the most unique protagonists of all time and how he handled his final encounter solidified that.
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - once again, world building is top notch, has a very complex story and mystery, good character writing, and great action(when it happened).
JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure - I really like the concept of each season starring someone different who’s in the Joestar bloodline. I also like the fact that each season went for a completely different feeling, along with vastly different characters and motivations. It’s also really fun to see how the creator will make an ability out of the most random of things we never even think about and try to apply actual science to it. Fun experience through and through.
One Punch Man - Great storytelling, world building, and action. Character writing for the secondary cast could have been a bit better but overall the show is very unique and finds ways to make things interesting yet at the same time raise stakes. Another very unique protagonist that’s very fun to watch.
Mob Psycho 100 - Same pluses as one punch man, and also one of the most unique protagonists ever because of how he handled combative situations. It could have easily veered into Hunter X Hunter territory if it kept going, but it knew when to stop on a great note(the most important thing that most shows and manga don’t do correctly).
Dragon Ball Z/Kai(from the start up until the end of the Cell Saga) - While not the best story, it had arguably the best suspense I’ve ever seen(not counting Buu saga). Those arcs were a master class in suspenseful pacing and each episode left you on the edge of your seat waiting to see what twists and turns happened next. There are still exciting anime releasing today that can’t replicate that moment to moment of DBZ/Kai, however I have to admit that the recent seasons of Demon Slayer and MHA have both managed to nail that suspenseful pacing almost perfectly. Most shonen writers took the wrong notes from DBZ and focused on the power levels and cool fights. The real secret was the suspense and the pacing of that suspense.
Berserk(90s anime and Manga) - Another case of great world building, character writing(aside from Casca), pacing, and suspense. The 90s anime was paced and told almost perfectly except for that very strange ending, because they omitted a very important character which means in the 90s anime you got a “bad end”. The manga had me up late overnight at times reading page after page seeing beautiful artwork combined with intrigue, action, and suspense. It’s a shame that aside from the 90s show, every Berserk anime project has either been a retelling of the Golden Arc or has had absolute garbage animation. Even the Musou video game couldn’t get it right.

Honorable mentions (I have yet to read their manga but they had an amazing first season to me):

Overly Cautious Hero - Funny premise and it nails what it’s going for. If you’ve ever met that one guy in an MMO or Souls game who grinds and grinds until he can almost one shot a boss just to guarantee that he will win the fight, this is that protagonist. He also has very realistic reactions to his situation(for example like wanting to skip unnecessary campy RPG dialogue). I recommend it for people who have played RPGs and like the idea of a character doing what you might have done or calling out the dumb things you might have called out in an RPG.

Goblin Slayer - It’s pretty much medieval DOOM and it is unapologetic about it. The protagonist had one goal in mind and stuck to it regardless of what he was told or who came across his path.

Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash - A lesser known anime from Square Enix, but it had a very interesting premise of making the characters feel like real people stuck in a fantasy world. No crazy powers, ex machina, mary sue, or asspull abilities. They had to be extremely cautious in every situation because they didn’t know how to live like a fighter, a hunter, a farmer, etc. Doing anything wrong, even simply cooking food the wrong way, could end in their death. The show followed through on those high stakes and it also had a very beautiful water color look to the backgrounds. Also, Ranta was an asshole, but he was right. You have to be cold and deadly in a world that wants to kill you at each turn. For how gorgeous it looked, the show had grit to it and deserved a season two, but it came out during a time where much more popular anime and isekai came out, so it wasn’t watched as much. It crawled so that a show like Goblin Slayer could walk. And if GS doesn’t get a second season, it walked so that the next show can fly.
This video explains it better than I can:

I know this post might be a wall of text and apologize for it.

BlackTron

Anti-List:

Cowboy Bebop - Told the story it needed to tell greatly, and didn’t overstay it’s welcome. World building was great as well but obviously treated as more of a cool thing rather than something to concentrate on.
Samurai Champloo - Same as Cowboy Bebop(mostly) and I liked the unique combination of hip hop and a samurai tale.
Avatar the Last Airbender - I count this as anime. Other than the slow start in the first few episodes, the pacing, world building, lore, character writing, and action were all top notch. Aang still stands out as one of the most unique protagonists of all time and how he handled his final encounter solidified that.
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - once again, world building is top notch, has a very complex story and mystery, good character writing, and great action(when it happened).
JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure - I really like the concept of each season starring someone different who’s in the Joestar bloodline. I also like the fact that each season went for a completely different feeling, along with vastly different characters and motivations. It’s also really fun to see how the creator will make an ability out of the most random of things we never even think about and try to apply actual science to it. Fun experience through and through.
One Punch Man - Great storytelling, world building, and action. Character writing for the secondary cast could have been a bit better but overall the show is very unique and finds ways to make things interesting yet at the same time raise stakes. Another very unique protagonist that’s very fun to watch.
Mob Psycho 100 - Same pluses as one punch man, and also one of the most unique protagonists ever because of how he handled combative situations. It could have easily veered into Hunter X Hunter territory if it kept going, but it knew when to stop on a great note(the most important thing that most shows and manga don’t do correctly).
Dragon Ball Z/Kai(from the start up until the end of the Cell Saga) - While not the best story, it had arguably the best suspense I’ve ever seen(not counting Buu saga). Those arcs were a master class in suspenseful pacing and each episode left you on the edge of your seat waiting to see what twists and turns happened next. There are still exciting anime releasing today that can’t replicate that moment to moment of DBZ/Kai, however I have to admit that the recent seasons of Demon Slayer and MHA have both managed to nail that suspenseful pacing almost perfectly. Most shonen writers took the wrong notes from DBZ and focused on the power levels and cool fights. The real secret was the suspense and the pacing of that suspense.
Berserk(90s anime and Manga) - Another case of great world building, character writing(aside from Casca), pacing, and suspense. The 90s anime was paced and told almost perfectly except for that very strange ending, because they omitted a very important character which means in the 90s anime you got a “bad end”. The manga had me up late overnight at times reading page after page seeing beautiful artwork combined with intrigue, action, and suspense. It’s a shame that aside from the 90s show, every Berserk anime project has either been a retelling of the Golden Arc or has had absolute garbage animation. Even the Musou video game couldn’t get it right.

Honorable mentions (I have yet to read their manga but they had an amazing first season to me):

Overly Cautious Hero - Funny premise and it nails what it’s going for. If you’ve ever met that one guy in an MMO or Souls game who grinds and grinds until he can almost one shot a boss just to guarantee that he will win the fight, this is that protagonist. He also has very realistic reactions to his situation(for example like wanting to skip unnecessary campy RPG dialogue). I recommend it for people who have played RPGs and like the idea of a character doing what you might have done or calling out the dumb things you might have called out in an RPG.

Goblin Slayer - It’s pretty much medieval DOOM and it is unapologetic about it. The protagonist had one goal in mind and stuck to it regardless of what he was told or who came across his path.

Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash - A lesser known anime from Square Enix, but it had a very interesting premise of making the characters feel like real people stuck in a fantasy world. No crazy powers, ex machina, mary sue, or asspull abilities. They had to be extremely cautious in every situation because they didn’t know how to live like a fighter, a hunter, a farmer, etc. Doing anything wrong, even simply cooking food the wrong way, could end in their death. The show followed through on those high stakes and it also had a very beautiful water color look to the backgrounds. Also, Ranta was an asshole, but he was right. You have to be cold and deadly in a world that wants to kill you at each turn. For how gorgeous it looked, the show had grit to it and deserved a season two, but it came out during a time where much more popular anime and isekai came out, so it wasn’t watched as much. It crawled so that a show like Goblin Slayer could walk. And if GS doesn’t get a second season, it walked so that the next show can fly.
This video explains it better than I can:

I know this post might be a wall of text and apologize for it.

Thanks for the wall of text. I've seen about half of this stuff and when I first replied to your post, the first shows that came to mind for an anti-list were Bebop and Champloo lol.

Our opinions match up pretty much exactly on all the stuff I did watch, making this a good outcome goldmine. Much appreciated.

Berserk is "that anime" that my group would always have playing during gatherings and LAN parties, even a decade later lol.

I started watching DBZ during the Frieza fight and watched up to Cell saga. I filled in some older stuff I missed and dabbled with Buu and Super a little. Yeah, it never got better than the meaty part of Z.

One Punch Man was just wonderful, I agree about supporting characters but the whole thing was just an excuse to have a ton of fun with amazing animation while poking fun an every anime trope. As long as you pretend S2 doesn't exist...which doesn't really take away from the original which ended fine on its own.

I've still never watched Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and I've been seeing the name for forever so maybe I'll start there. The concept of Grimgar looks cool, wow that's Square Enix? I'd act surprised that they make anime now but we know from their games that, actually, that is what they do now.

Thanks for getting around to this post. Now I can fire up some unknown anime without a sense of dread and time wasting.

One Punch Man was just wonderful, I agree about supporting characters but the whole thing was just an excuse to have a ton of fun with amazing animation while poking fun an every anime trope. As long as you pretend S2 doesn't exist...which doesn't really take away from the original which ended fine on its own.
This is one aspect where I’m more forgiving. Animators are given a terrible salary and are expected to provide gold in return. To me, as long as the story is great enough I can forgive cut corners in animation. I do have limits though and I think that recent 3D berserk anime was one of them. If they had announced that as some kid’s fan YouTube project I wouldn’t have looked at it so badly. But at the same time projects like that one was a necessary evil for them to learn 3d over the years and give us the great 3D animation we are seeing today. After I watched the new JJK and Chainsaw Man shows, anytime I see someone saying something like ‘Mappa’s animation sucks’(like a post above) I have to laugh a little because when you watch those shows it is blatantly untrue.

I've still never watched Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and I've been seeing the name for forever so maybe I'll start there.
Just understand that each season will be very different. From pacing to motivations to plot. So if you don’t like one season, give it another season to impress you again.

The concept of Grimgar looks cool, wow that's Square Enix? I'd act surprised that they make anime now but we know from their games that, actually, that is what they do now.
Give it an honest shot if you want. Yes, there will be small bits of fan service but it doesn’t detract from the overall experience of the show itself.

Thanks for getting around to this post. Now I can fire up some unknown anime without a sense of dread and time wasting.
Of course no problem, feel free to share anything I haven’t listed too so I can check something out.

BlackTron

Of course no problem, feel free to share anything I haven’t listed too so I can check something out.

Off the top of my head, old shows because I've been out of this loop for a while.

Jubei-chan: Secret of the Lovely Eyepatch. It's pretty much everything great about anime, including the fan service, silliness and comedy but also action, deeply condensed in a 13 episode show that doesn't overstay its welcome.

Goldenboy is HILARIOUS. Again, a 6-7 ep dose of pure dumb anime fun. It will just seem like a silly risque anime in the beginning but the story really comes together in the end.

Way back my favorite Gundam was 08th MS Team but I should rewatch to see how well it holds up. In any case it's the most grounded or "gritty" Gundam I've seen and it's under 15 eps.

Top Bottom