• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGaf |Early 2016 Election| - the government's term has been... Shortened

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to give Dutton credit. He apparently managed to come up with a citizenship bill that even Ian Macdonald can't support in its current form. That's pretty impressive.

Interesting detail from the latest Essential. 'Yes' voters significantly more likely to go out and vote/mail compared to 'no.' Maybe the gerrymander is backfiring.

Lyle Shelton lurking at the back of the Press Club during the Yes SSM campaign speeches with a face of thunder.

Lyle's beliefs are awful but he seems to be a true believer.

Incidentally do we have a schedule for when we're going to force him to get same sex married to a dog and then genderless married to some major infrastructure ? Or are we doing both at once now ? I can't keep track anymore.

danm999

Lyle's beliefs are awful but he seems to be a true believer.

Incidentally do we have a schedule for when we're going to force him to get same sex married to a dog and then genderless married to some major infrastructure ? Or are we doing both at once now ? I can't keep track anymore.

First we're going to let him stew for a few months whilst people assume he's gay.

The High Court has allowed the plebisurvey (and apparently awarded costs, which is a little surprising).

This is going to be interesting going forward because this means the Finance Minister's Advance can basically be used for anything the executive wants to do and has the authority to do (but would normally require funding for). Since urgent and necessary apparently have no objective meaning.

The High Court has allowed the plebisurvey (and apparently awarded costs, which is a little surprising).

This is going to be interesting going forward because this means the Finance Minister's Advance can basically be used for anything the executive wants to do and has the authority to do (but would normally require funding for). Since urgent and necessary apparently have no objective meaning.

It's going to be interesting to see what the reasons are. Good chance this advance and how it can be used going forward will be amended by the senate after next years budget. The senate doesn't like being bypassed.

Apparently this is part of the Appropriations Bill No 1, ie the bill that if blocked brings us back to the Constitutional Crisis of 75 and the Senate is not permitted to amend. So if the Senate does seek to constrain this, this is going to be one hell of a shit show, to put it lightly.

I really don't understand why the hc awarded costs though, that's going to be interesting to investigate tomorrow

Wilkie's is fairly obvious since they dismissed his case altogether. I'm guessing they decided he has no standing. Which is interesting, since it means that neither a citizen or MP has the ability to challenge the Government on the basis they are acting without Parliamentary approval.

yepyepyep

The same day the High Court decides the postal vote is legal is the same day I receive a rejection letter from the electoral commission about being an overseas voter lol.
Man fuck you Turnbull.

The same day the High Court decides the postal vote is legal is the same day I receive a rejection letter from the electoral commission about being an overseas voter lol.
Man fuck you Turnbull.

Wow, how come? You might be able to appoint a proxy voter to vote for you still, the ACT Chief Minister has made himself available as one.

Also fuck Rob Pyne in Queensland. The ex-ALP MP signed in the alleged stalker of an ALP MP, Brittney Luaga, in parliament then left him unattended.

It seems this determination isn't as wide as it may have been.

From the transcript available it appears the court determined that the survey falls within ordinary annual government services.

The transcript doesn't say enough to determine what they think about the limitations on the drawing of funds except that the requirements are satisfied in this case (either because the requirements are met or because the finance minister is sole determiner).

Still this seems too mean that at the very least a government may hold pretty much any random survey it likes, based on a time frame that's entirely self constructed, and pay for it through the advance. So surveys for all I guess ?

yepyepyep

Wow, how come? You might be able to appoint a proxy voter to vote for you still, the ACT Chief Minister has made himself available as one.

Also fuck Rob Pyne in Queensland. The ex-ALP MP signed in the alleged stalker of an ALP MP, Brittney Luaga, in parliament then left him unattended.

Apparently the address where I was last living is not my current enrolment address, but I don't remember changing my address before I went to London? There was no need because we had the election last year and there is no state election until I am back. I did change my drivers license address, does that automatically change your enrolment address? If that is the case then I am enrolled to vote at my Dad's house. Might ask one of my siblings to see if they can vote for me.

Edit: What the hell, I just checked my enrolment on the site and it said it was the address that I put down on the application form! What a load of bullshit. Anyway, it was hopeless, I sent the letter about a week before the deadline and the postal officer said it was due to Australia in 3-5 days, but I've just received a response by email now, so obviously it takes a lot longer for the letter to be sent. It just shows how fucking dumb this stupid postal vote is, I am a gay man that can't have a say for entirely bureaucratic reasons.

Apparently the address where I was last living is not my current enrolment address, but I don't remember changing my address before I went to London? There was no need because we had the election last year and there is no state election until I am back. I did change my drivers license address, does that automatically change your enrolment address? If that is the case then I am enrolled to vote at my Dad's house. Might ask one of my siblings to see if they can vote for me.

Edit: What the hell, I just checked my enrolment on the site and it said it was the address that I put down on the application form! What a load of bullshit. Anyway, it was hopeless, I sent the letter about a week before the deadline and the postal officer said it was due to Australia in 3-5 days, but I've just received a response by email now, so obviously it takes a lot longer for the letter to be sent. It just shows how fucking dumb this stupid postal vote is, I am a gay man that can't have a say for entirely bureaucratic reasons.

Changing your driver's licence begins a process that will change your AEC address after a month unless you respond to a letter they send out or change it yourself on that period. If you're still on that transitional period that may have been the issue.

Dayum, that was somewhat unexpected.

The reasoning will be interesting to see given it was a 7-0 decision with costs awarded which is unexpected. It seems unlikely that the high court has expanded the executive's power as significantly as it seems from the decision absent reasoning.

Signs are pointing towards the No campaign working it seems? Conservatives are getting what they wanted.
Until the survey returns an overwhelming Yes result.

A boycott would be counterproductive, I feel. Yes, a free vote is the right thing to do and the government abdicated its responsibility, but a boycott only makes it look like the No campaign has greater support than it does. The result needs to be an undeniably, comically overwhelming "Yes".

Shaneus

Signs are pointing towards the No campaign working it seems? Conservatives are getting what they wanted.
Are you talking about the poll results that were released today? It was only of 800 people, I don't think it's indicative of much, really. At least I hope not.

Jintor

i'm pretty nervous about the result tbh but i have no basis for it other than fear

going to the sydney rally tomorrow to try and be at least a bit more active than i am otherwise

Are you talking about the poll results that were released today? It was only of 800 people, I don't think it's indicative of much, really. At least I hope not.

800 is more than sufficient a sample size appropriately collected. Actually 300ish is generally sufficient for binary polling within a reasonable MoE.

And a drop in support is normal, due to the contraction and FUD.

Rally is pretty good. Shorten is a pretty bloody good orator in person.

When he gets it right, he really gets it right. 2014 budget reply speech, another SSM rally in Melbourne a few years back.

I'm not too worried about 'no' getting a bit of a bounce, the 'Yes' case has barely started if at all and the media has been dominated by all the BS from the ACL. I mentioned it a little earlier but Essential polled and got a very different result. Labor, Green and Yes voters are more motivated to vote than Liberal and No voters according to them.

i'm pretty nervous about the result tbh but i have no basis for it other than fear

The "no" side have a proven method.

Start: "Everyone have their say!"
Now: "I'm voting yes, but I'm worried about all the "yes" people telling me what to do. It doesn't sit right.
Before the vote: "I just can't bring myself to vote "yes" anymore because of all the bullying. I'll be voting no, who is with me!"

This is of course nonsensical for a side that will not allow people who work in a catholic school discuss the issue. But it worked a treat for the republican vote and the exact same people are in charge this time around.

hirokazu

When he gets it right, he really gets it right. 2014 budget reply speech, another SSM rally in Melbourne a few years back.

I'm not too worried about 'no' getting a bit of a bounce, the 'Yes' case has barely started if at all and the media has been dominated by all the BS from the ACL. I mentioned it a little earlier but Essential polled and got a very different result. Labor, Green and Yes voters are more motivated to vote than Liberal and No voters according to them.
Well that's encouraging! Let's see if common sense will prevail.

Well that's encouraging! Let's see if common sense will prevail.

Another one from Ipsos, Yes at 70% among those certain to vote.

I wonder if the SSM coalition leaked a 'slightly unfriendly' poll to rally support? Wouldn't be the first time that trick has happen in politics. Watch the next election where everyone crawls all over themselves to claim the underdog status. The WA libs did it at the last election to save the furniture and still lost it most of it.

danm999

He's spending political capital he doesn't have, not with the public, his party room or even Waringah his electorate, to make this inevitability his swan song.

Dryk

I'm still waiting for someone to explain how virtue signalling would be worse than admitting you're a shit head.

I'm sick of how the media have to give equal air time to both sides. Like watching the feed now. We have a woman from getup arguing for the yes campaign and her stance is that everyone should have equal rights. Then on the other side you have an old white man who is literally comparing legalising gay marriage to the stolen generation (and doubling down on that). He then goes on to make the usual bigoted arguments ala Tony Abbott above.

Stop giving these pieces of shit air time. It's the same with climate change. On one side you get a climate scientist making their case based on shitloads of evidence and research and then you we a climate sceptic on the other side basing there arguments on pie in the sky bullshit.

Every show doesn't have to give both sides of the argument equal air time. Not all sides to an argument are born equal and not every opinion needs air time.

More importantly though if you interview someone who is a racist, sexist, homophobic bigot then call them out on that shit.

Jintor

and what's with the twits saying kids of gay parents are the new stolen generation or whatever?

are they aware the stolen generation was when a bunch of white fuckwits decided a class of people couldn't have kids?

and what's with the twits saying kids of gay parents are the new stolen generation or whatever?

are they aware the stolen generation was when a bunch of white fuckwits decided a class of people couldn't have kids?

If gay marriage is permitted then male and female parents of children are forced to stay together.

Or something like that. Apparently.

It makes no fucking sense.

Reminder about Barnaby Joyce in 2011:
Nationals Senate leader Barnaby Joyce told the rally his four daughters would be affected if same-sex marriage was allowed.

"We know that the best protection for those girls is that they get themselves into a secure relationship with a loving husband, and I want that to happen for them.

"I don't want any legislator to take that right away from me."
http://www.smh.com.au/national/anger-over-rally-to-ridicule-gay-marriage-20110816-1iw1e.html

danm999

Not to mention a bunch of prominent No Campaigners, including Howard, fought tooth and nail to not apologise for the Stolen Generation.

Jintor

Bernardi seriously arguing simultaneously that anti vilification legislation is just about "feelings" while also asking everyone to stop calling him a homophobe and bigot

Kevin Rudd's godson was assaulted for standing up for marriage equality.
YMo0Wxz.png

https://mobile.twitter.com/MrKRudd/status/907849280337141760?p=p

Yagharek

Bernardi seriously arguing simultaneously that anti vilification legislation is just about "feelings" while also asking everyone to stop calling him a homophobe and bigot

Next time anyone starts crying for their "religious freedom" (to be bigots) ask them this:

1. How many LGBTI people commit suicide because they are vilified and forced into silence (the old saying about closets exists for a reason) by religious conservatives.

2. How many Christians commit suicide because they are told not to be bigots.

If the second group is larger than the first ill eat my hat.

Vote yes or you're wrong.

Another Melbourne council voted to stop celebrating Australia Day, but will keep holding citizenship ceremonies on that date.

Also, unfortunately, Xenophon lost a huge chunk of my respect by actually making a deal with the government to pass that media 'reform' bill (aka give Murdoch the ability to grab more media power in this country), which will also hamper the ABC's independence with the addition of "fair and balanced" to its charter (aka give "opposing sides" equal time and credibility even when they flagrantly don't deserve it). Fucking hell.

bomma_man

Another Melbourne council voted to stop celebrating Australia Day, but will keep holding citizenship ceremonies on that date.

Also, unfortunately, Xenophon lost a huge chunk of my respect by actually making a deal with the government to pass that media 'reform' bill (aka give Murdoch the ability to grab more media power in this country), which will also hamper the ABC's independence with the addition of "fair and balanced" to its charter (aka give "opposing sides" equal time and credibility even when they flagrantly don't deserve it). Fucking hell.

The Fair and Balanced thing is a seperate bill that won't pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom