• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in my Play: A Podcast for Nostalgic Gamers (New Episodes Every Sunday)

Hey Kevin, I was wondering when the next episode might be released?

Still making episodes of this or what Kev? You can't just go out with Mega Turrican.

I honestly don't know. Been to busy to do it, and I haven't wanted to. Don't want to do the show unless I can be enthusiastic about it.

Honestly I really hate the games industry right now. Almost want nothing to do with it. Barely even come on GAF anymore.

Teknoman

I'll be honest. I have no idea what Gamergate is even about, and just ignore whatever I see posted about it. And when I do try to see what it is, it seems to be just a thread or post complaining about someone elses opinion. Just enjoy the games you want to enjoy.

Thats the whole reason why people give classic games a shot either way. Games that dont really have much fluff,controversy,or whatever involved...and are pretty much out of the public eye.

I honestly don't know. Been to busy to do it, and I haven't wanted to. Don't want to do the show unless I can be enthusiastic about it.

Honestly I really hate the games industry right now. Almost want nothing to do with it. Barely even come on GAF anymore.

I understand 100%. To just play devil's advocate though, you have created a platform for yourself where you can discuss these issues...I mean actually discuss them and be honest and tell these GG people where they can shove it. What have you got to lose? You aren't kind of held hostage by review copies and Publisher advertising dollars the way sites like Polygon and Giant Bomb are. You've gotten pretty far with a very grassroots thing and I think you should try to take that to the next level.

If this industry and gamers are pissing you off, let's hear about it. You've got these listeners now, what you chose to do with it is entirely up to you. You could easily back away and remove yourself from all the negativity, which is a totally valid and respectable approach, but I'd like to see someone go out and take a hard stand against it. You have nothing to hide from. Tell these fuckers what's what and let's get back to talking some games. I think it would be a mistake to walk away from this platform you have built up, and to me, the best broadcasters are those who are completely honest and forthright and I'd love to see you take that step Kev. Whatever you decide though, best of luck. Also, come back with your thoughts on Furious 7 when you get a chance.

Shy

I understand 100%. To just play devil's advocate though, you have created a platform for yourself where you can discuss these issues...I mean actually discuss them and be honest and tell these GG people where they can shove it. What have you got to lose? You aren't kind of held hostage by review copies and Publisher advertising dollars the way sites like Polygon and Giant Bomb are. You've gotten pretty far with a very grassroots thing and I think you should try to take that to the next level.

If this industry and gamers are pissing you off, let's hear about it. You've got these listeners now, what you chose to do with it is entirely up to you. You could easily back away and remove yourself from all the negativity, which is a totally valid and respectable approach, but I'd like to see someone go out and take a hard stand against it. You have nothing to hide from. Tell these fuckers what's what and let's get back to talking some games. I think it would be a mistake to walk away from this platform you have built up, and to me, the best broadcasters are those who are completely honest and forthright and I'd love to see you take that step Kev. Whatever you decide though, best of luck. Also, come back with your thoughts on Furious 7 when you get a chance.
Completely agree with this post.
except about F&F, cause they're poops. :p

zmet

My favorite game of all time. I remember first seeing the standup version at a Godfather's Pizza back in 1986. I would just stare in amazement at the running demo/attract screen every time I would go there to pick up an order. The super smooth scaling and amazing soundtrack totally blew my thirteen year old mind!

Kevin, sorry to hear that the podcast is on hold at the moment, but as others have said, please take a break. Just make sure you power on your Saturn every once in a while to make sure that internal battery is not dead.

Shy

Thanks guys. I am probably being a bit over dramatic, but there is hope...

bqddZ2B.gif

who gives a shit about gamergate?

They mean about as much to me as some sweaty guy in a gamestop repeating internet memes.

Let them fester in their negativity, we got nostalgia to feel, man!

dperrin

No worries Kevin. We all appreciate the hard work you put into this podcast. Take your time man!

I just have to say that I think that this was one of the best podcasts I have ever listened to. I didn't discover it until this time last year and started from the first episode all the way to the end. With how negative industry is, it was such a breath of fresh air listening to how positive and passionate you and your guests were about games.

You have a great radio voice and the fact there is almost no foul language means I can listen while my kids are roaming around the house or in the car. Good luck with what ever you decide but I do hope the show comes back. When and if it does, I'll tune in.

Also favorite episode, Episode 29 Sega Genesis Music.

Cheers

Kevin - sent you a note on Twitter earlier after your announcement went up. I love your show, your dedication and your professionalism. I'm now a 35 year old dad and wife with number 2 on the way, with a full time career that requires hefty travel. I've been playing and collecting since I was 7. Needless to say, I understand and respect why you've decided to put things on hold for the time being.

I'm going to keep wearing my BIMP tshirt and sweatshirt with pride. It's great getting questions from people when I do. "Is that a band?"

Regardless, I've been thinking about FINALLY getting in shape and just subscribed to the fitcast. I have no idea where to even begin on the health and exercise journey, so am hoping your show will provide the guidance I need.

Thanks for the incredible work on BIMP, and never stop following your passion!

JEKKI

lucky me I still have a podcast backlog so it's like I still have more BIMP to look forward to!!

thanks Coach Kevin Coach Kevin Coach Kevin!!!

mother freakin come back to Long Beach so you can hang out with your friend JEKKI (that's me) for street tacos and pop locking!!

til then I'm still waiting for the NES Gremlins 2 and Batman episode of BIMP!

dat classic Sunsoft sheeyit!!

with Felix the Cat added as a bonus coz that game is quick and awesome too!

pirata

Of course the same day I find a new podcast is the same day it ends...Oh, well, I guess I have a lot of episodes to get through!

EDIT: Listening to that 20-minute note, I guess "going on a hiatus" would be a better description, but in my experience, hiatus is Latin for "probably not coming back." I'd love to be wrong!

The show isn't ending. It is simply going to rest for a bit until I have the drive to do it again.

I don't want to do it half ass or feel like it is a chore. Thanks for all the kind words, it certainly helps with my feelings about the show.

Minions

I listen to these (and other podcasts) when I go to bed. Other than the audio issues in a couple Episodes I really enjoy them. Starfox was great.

I understand being burned out. I get that way too. I had a few months where I dropped games entirely. I focused my energy into woodworking for that time.

Now I'm back on a electronics kick, and I also have to start studying for certifications... so I'm sure my gaming time will be reduced once again.

I can't listen to many of the gaming podcasts... because most (all?) of them end up being overly cynical. I like listening to positive things when I'm going to sleep!

PillarEN

Kevin, just wanted to chime in as a listener since the first episode. Your podcast has been great (and positive as you always make a point of) so far and I look forward to when it returns.

For some reason I just heard about the break today on the Player One podcast. I really really really enjoyed the show, gone back and listened to most of the episodes.
Thanks for the great run Kevin. I really hope that you can find the drive again at one point.
I wish I'd been more vocal about my appreciation for the show. I've recommended the show to a bunch of people in the past and will continue to do that. I'm looking forward to whatever happens in the future.

Good luck with your carreer and the fitcast.

zmet

Great episode! I just wanted to correct you that Snow Bros. was indeed released on the system (Japan only). Here's a pic of my copy:

On the subject of Everdrives, I'm doing what you guys are doing, just putting all the games I have in my collection (physical and digital) on them and nothing else. I have the majority of my games in storage so these devices are very convenient. Every once in a while if I see some thing online that I want to buy, then I'll preview it on the Everdrive to see if it's worth picking up. Also Kevin, you should've just saved up for the SD2SNES and skipped on the Super Everdrive, since you like video game music. The SD2SNES has a feature where you can listen to SPC files (I'm listening to the BS Zelda soundtrack on it as I type this). Really enjoyed the subject in this episode. Can't wait for the upcoming mentioned episodes!

Love the new episode, Kevin!
It's really cool, because I can hear your enthusiasm increasing as the show goes on. You ended the episode as stoked and chipper as ever.
As my friends and I start our own gaming podcast, we really look to this one as an example of what to do, since it does so many things right (like your attitude of loving what you do for fun). I got scared when you took a break! We're very happy to have you back.

dperrin

I don't remember this question being asked, but here is one:

What is Mike's dream game to make for any console? It can be for any system or in any time period. (NES, Genesis, SNES, etc.)

Top Bottom