• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

CHC

The Batmobile controls like butter. Trust me, keeping the finger on boost, drifting around turns without missing a beat....never gets old. #Beasting

Yeah I don't get the criticisms of the actual driving mechanics. Sure, the tank battles overstayed their welcome a bit, but the actual driving felt super smooth and cartoony, the Batmobile just kinda read my mind when it came to drifting and cruising through the city. I'll be honest I had a much harder time just controlling your average car in GTAV than this haha....

kodecraft

Yeah I don't get the criticisms of the actual driving mechanics. Sure, the tank battles overstayed their welcome a bit, but the actual driving felt super smooth and cartoony, the Batmobile just kinda read my mind when it came to drifting and cruising through the city. I'll be honest I had a much harder time just controlling your average car in GTAV than this haha....

Now, I do hate GTA's car controls!

0OoO0

Just purchase this game and about to start playing. Anything I need to know before I begin? And should I play on normal difficulty?

CHC

Just purchase this game and about to start playing. Anything I need to know before I begin? And should I play on normal difficulty?

Don't feel obligated to do all the side stuff, and don't worry about Riddler trophies that seem impossible to get... they might actually be until you get certain new tools.

And normal is fine, but hard might be more enjoyable. It's not a super difficult game either way really.

Almost done with the game. The cobra tank boss followed by the drill boss...probably the worst gaming experiences in recent memory. The game was fun up until then. Before I played the game I always though everyone whining about the Batmobile was being a drama queen - I was so wrong. It really ruined this game.

Shiv47

I picked Destiny back up right after finishing this, and haven't touched the game since, or any of the DLC, despite buying the pass. I'm hoping this new stuff is good, the DLC up to now has sounded pretty lackluster.

I picked Destiny back up right after finishing this, and haven't touched the game since, or any of the DLC, despite buying the pass. I'm hoping this new stuff is good, the DLC up to now has sounded pretty lackluster.

I think most of the disappointment has been how they've released it. They hyped up some little 15min long DLC every month.

Taken as a whole lump of DLC, theres actually quite a bit.

Season of Infamy is available now (UK... don't think it makes much of a difference).

I thought the Batman Begins Batsuit was dropping at the same time, but all I have downloading is the Original Arkham Batmobile, Crimefighter Challenge Pack #5 and Season of Infamy.

*edit*

XBone, btw.

El_Cinefilo

Downloading now on PS4 (uk). Has anybody played season of infamy yet? Is it basically 4 of the 10 minute episodes bundled together on the main map? It's selling for £7.99 separately if you don't have the season pass.

Downloading now on PS4 (uk). Has anybody played season of infamy yet? Is it basically 4 of the 10 minute episodes bundled together on the main map? It's selling for £7.99 separately if you don't have the season pass.

Thats what the rumor mill is saying...

Please post your impressions for the rest of us!

Jedi2016

That's weird...

When the BvS skin came out, it said I couldn't buy it because I didn't own the season pass, didn't even give me the option of just paying for it. Today, not only did it give me the BvS skins for free, but also the new 2008 Batman Begins skin, also for free. PS4 version. Is it supposed to do that? I was planning on buying the 2008 skin anyway, maybe it gave it to me because I already own the Tumbler DLC?

Panda Rin

I've heard there was a jump-scare
when you first encounter Man-Bat
. Can someone outline when that happens specifically. I reallllyyy hate jump scares.

I've heard there was a jump-scare
when you first encounter Man-Bat
. Can someone outline when that happens specifically. I reallllyyy hate jump scares.
At some point, early in the game, upon grappling onto a building, as Batman climbs up, you will be greeted by a Man-Bat scream to the face. I believe he can appear on any building, at any time, and there's nothing specific that will trigger it.

Jedi2016

Yeah, it certainly got my attention, too. I saved the video (PS4), makes me glad that it's always recording like that so you can catch unexpected stuff like that.

Season of Infamy wasn't too bad. Each villain was about as long as any of the other Most Wanted sidequests. Taking your time will probably net you about 1:45-2:00hrs of extra playtime. The last act of the Mad Hatter sidequest was particularly neat (don't wanna spoil, but would love to have the option of playing the whole game with that filter.)

There seems to be a new skin too... as long as you complete the game to 240% (100% base game, and Season of Infamy on both normal save and NG+.

Also, it seems that in January Rocksteady are releasing some classic Arkham challenges from Asylum and City - both combat and predator, along with a couple of extra ones from Arkham Knight too. I wasn't expecting that, although leaving the Gamerscore at 1840 did strike me as a tad odd.

El_Cinefilo

Thats what the rumor mill is saying...

Please post your impressions for the rest of us!

Only done the Mr Freeze one so far, For me it took about 20-25 minutes, Felt a little shorter than the other most wanted missions but longer than the stories DLC's

No story spoilers but what gameplay it contained was basically:

Predator map, Small Fight, Predator map, Short Batmobile Race, Tank Battle (If they all end with one I'll be pissed)

SOI was short, but good. Would have fit right in with the other Most Wanted missions easily. My favorite was probably the Ra's one, though Croc and Freeze was cool too. I could take or leave Hatter.

Melchiah

Only done the Mr Freeze one so far, For me it took about 20-25 minutes, Felt a little shorter than the other most wanted missions but longer than the stories DLC's

No story spoilers but what gameplay it contained was basically:

Predator map, Small Fight, Predator map, Short Batmobile Race, Tank Battle (If they all end with one I'll be pissed)

Well, the last two parts definitely make me want to skip the DLC, if they all are the same.

Well, the last two parts definitely make me want to skip the DLC, if they all are the same.

Fear not... it's the only tank battle in the entire SoI.

Also, I found a pretty obscure easter egg in the Hospital:

There's a small room after fighting the LoS recruits just after you enter that you have to get to in order to turn the power back on. At the back of the room are some lockers with a doctors coat hanging in front of them. The nametag on the coat is for a Dr Bradford Thorne, AKA "The Crime Doctor".

I'd post a link to who it is, but it shows through the spoiler tag.

Nori Chan

YOOOO RAS MISSION

are you shitting me what kind of...i mean...WHAT DO I DO?

I killed him...and oh god what he said at the end. "Detective, I'm proud of you"
Fucking shivers

I killed him...and oh god what he said at the end. "Detective, I'm proud of you"
Fucking shivers

He's not proud of you because he realizes he's a monster, he's proud of you because you finally did what he's been demanding you do all along: take his life.

So you lose either way.

He's not proud of you because he realizes he's a monster, he's proud of you because you finally did what he's been demanding you do all along: take his life.

So you lose either way.

Yep. So good.
Really loved his and Fries storyline closure.

Croc and Hatter... not so much.

Got this for Christmas and played a few hours. I like it pretty well so far.

Here's what I like about it so far:
-The presentation is insane. The way the camera moves, the intro, it's all just insanely slick.
-The graphics/art. This game looks absolutely amazing, and the gothic sci-fi take on Batman is a cool take on the material. There's so much detail.
-the combat/gameplay is the best it's ever been. There are soooo many ways to do melee fights and use the batmobile and it all flows together ridiculously well, it's like a crazy character action game.

What I don't like:
-the story so far just seems totally boring. It's like they took a list of things people wanted to see in a batman story and then executed it in a totally perfunctory manner with shit dialogue. The other two games didnt have great stories at all but had a little more intrigue.
- Conroy is an absolute garbage VA in this, sorry
-I actuall like the batmobile pretty well, the fights have neat bullet hell dynamic to them with snappy dodges, careening around the city looks and feels good, launching from it and calling it at a whim is super badass, and there are cool puzzles with it, but I just feel like it's being used too much. It honestly feels like 50% batmobile thus far and that's too much, it kinda breaks the flow.

I haven't played enough to see if the mission structure and "moments" are as good as the other games, but so far it seems like a game that does a lot of the core gameplay and visual stuff better than the other games, but might be worse in the others.

keakster

Anyone know if the Batman: Arkham Knight Premium Edition (currently up on PSN for half price) comes with all of the DLC, including all the various retailer skins?

The listing says that it is the game and the season pass, but I don't want to jump on this and then have them release the eventual GOTY edition that includes more stuff ...

Played more and the story portion picked up a lot with the ACE chemical level. The hallucinations are fantastic, but Arkham Knight seems like a terrible villain so far, just unbearably whiny. I also dig all the "detective" elements they've added. First riddler race I did was pretty awesome tbh, reminded me ofthe Jak 2 races but with the cool switch hitting, but I know a lot of people hates the Jak races as well.

The predator sections are the best they've ever been, you have so much freedom in them and the fear takedowns and multi takedowns are so sick. I also love the ninja enemies with the saffs, doing aerial counters an shit against them is great. I really hope there are melee boss fights to take advantage of the awesome combat system.

I kinda worry about the side quests tho. I loved Arkham City's sidequests. There were a manageable amount and they were varied and detailed. So far the ones in this game seem more like random collect/destroy things. These serial killer one seems pretty good though, hopefully there are more like that.

The visuals and art just get more and more impressive to me. Definitely the best overall looking open world game I've played. Its really hooking me and reminding me why I have fun with these games. My main concerns at this point are boring sidequests, and getting tired of bat mobile combat sections.

Man they finally get the head proportions right on a model(TDK suit) yet its ruined by a giraffe neck.

Asylum Batmobile is incredible, should have been in day one.
Im actually driving it around way more than gliding and it feels much faster.

Anyone know if the Batman: Arkham Knight Premium Edition (currently up on PSN for half price) comes with all of the DLC, including all the various retailer skins?

The listing says that it is the game and the season pass, but I don't want to jump on this and then have them release the eventual GOTY edition that includes more stuff ...

Absolutely all of the DLC released thus far is included in the season pass, including retailer-exclusive pre-order bonuses.

There's precedent for GOTY editions to include content that wasn't released as DLC for the normal game (Red Dead Redemption: GOTY contained an entire Hardcore mode) but it's very, very rare.

I'm really good at controlling the Batmobiles in this game, but Asylum one feels harder to control.

It is, I think thats the point though because it feels twice as fast they needed a con to balance it out for the race tracks.
I know its absolutely horrible for the VR challenges where you drive around crashing the APCs.

Still love it to death though.

dreamfall

So, kind of going back and forth on this but is the Season Pass worth $20?

I beat the game and all the side missions right when it came out and enjoyed the hell out of it- but that Season Pass looked horrendous. I'd like to try the content, even if it's an hour or two. Thoughts?

Top Bottom