• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Shoulders & Arms #2 down. I love how the warmup on this one extends past the 50 minute mark, makes the whole thing feel so much shorter psychologically :lol

Ab Ripper X is still killing me :(

I got a gym membership (for a year) last week after doing beach body programs for the past 4 years. Really changed my life for the better in many ways. I've gone through P90X, X2, X3 and Body Beast several times at this point. I still have the video of myself that I took from before I started working out (in July 2011), always amusing to see. lol
For the past year I've been doing Body Beast 6 times per week, so I thought it made sense to move on to a gym. To be honest I've barely ever been to a gym before, so it's kind of exciting actually. But that's also why I'm not posting as much as before (not that I made lots of posts before, but still). I'll still try to squeeze in some Body Beast at home or maybe X2 Yoga from time to time though. :)
X2 Yoga is great, I've used it in place of the regular X yoga for years!

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
X2 Yoga is great, I've used it in place of the regular X yoga for years!

Yeah! Mentioned it before, but I think it strikes the perfect balance (no pun intended) between X Yoga and X3 Yoga. X Yoga is nice but way too long and drawn-out for my taste, while X3 Yoga is too short and almost stressful at times. Only problem with X2 Yoga is he skips some of the explanations for how to do certain poses, but since I did a lot of X Yoga before I kind of knew the basics already.
Really need to get back on the Yoga train soon, probably been 7-8 months since the last time, can only imagine how fun/exhausting it would be. lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Week 2 done. Did X2 Yoga tonight (my order was a little screwy and had a rest day yesterday) and sweated gallons. My hamstrings are so ungodly tight, it blows. I need to figure out what I can do on a daily basis to help them out a little. Couldn't come close to doing plow/shoulder stands either :( But I'll get back there.... guess it's just one day at a time.

I got these puzzle mats: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KHT4L1I/?tag=neogaf0e-20 and definitely recommend them to anyone working out on tile or with just a yoga mat on tile like I was. Huge difference and super reasonable in terms of price IMO. I also got the CAP Pushup bars (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002OEQ50Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20). A little disappointed they're not solid metal (it's the hollowest of hollow aluminum) but we'll see how it goes in actual use tomorrow.

It's nice if nothing else to be back in the swing of daily workouts and eating better. I just moved to a sexy ass new apartment and I'm loving being able to take advantage of my huge kitchen.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Chest & Back #3. The CAP push-up bars made an enormous difference for my wrists. I am shocked at how much of my difficulty doing push-ups this time around was because of my wrists tweaking under my body weight. I can't recommend push-up bars of some kind enough, goddamn.

Still getting crushed into pulp but I saw clear improvement from week 1 last night which feels awesome. I did a small handful of decline pushups versus the big fat 0 on day one.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
gagghhhhblaaa plyo

I remember how this works now. You start to be able to keep up more, you push yourself futher, you massacre yourself even more

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Okay, so I'll be able to get my workout space set up again. Thank god, my cheeks have started to get fat again. My cheeks are one of the last places I gain fat, so if they start to look plump I know it's getting bad. Hopefully my back is still sort of in shape...

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
gagghhhhblaaa plyo

I remember how this works now. You start to be able to keep up more, you push yourself futher, you massacre yourself even more

Yep, that's why workouts like Insanity Max: 30 never get easier :)

Okay, so I'll be able to get my workout space set up again. Thank god, my cheeks have started to get fat again. My cheeks are one of the last places I gain fat, so if they start to look plump I know it's getting bad. Hopefully my back is still sort of in shape...

It can be hard to get started again, especially because you'll remember being able to do some of the stuff better than you can now -- but take it slow & be patient, and you'll be back to that level before you know it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Kenpo X, week 3. Decided to try my 4lb wrist weights again since I'd been able to keep up so far (I first added them in before starting my second round of P90X back in the day). After 20 minutes I was drenched and took them off, and I was glad I did... I can remember how intense the blocking sequence was wearing them. Definitely recommend giving them a try to anyone wanting a little more burn and resistance during Kenpo X, which is a pretty light workout on its on for the most part.

Does anyone have any recommendations for something I can put down on my tile to put my puzzle mat on, or any other way to keep it from sliding around? Tonight and especially during Plyo earlier in the week it was sliding all over the place and I was afraid I was going to seriously hurt myself multiple times, lol.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
You can get double-sided carpet tape, it's about 2" wide. I use single-sided carpet tape under the seams to keep the tiles from separating, but no double sided tape.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hmm... thanks for the suggestion, I'm not sure if that'll work but I might pick some up if I can find it cheap. I mean, I don't want it to be permanently affixed, this is in my living room lol. If you mean to retape it every couple of days I'd probably go through a roll pretty fast. there must be some right of rough something or other I can throw down under it. or maybe weight down the corners...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Gah. Early on in a set of push-ups last night my right wrist started kiiiiling me. I can still feel the pain if I put any weight on it right now. :-/ Dunno what to do.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The non-slip mat thing worked great for my puzzle mat. Did every plyo move on it without fearing for my life. The puzzle edges came off a little so I may try that double-sided tape to stick it to the mat along the seams.

My wrist is still painful if I press my hand onto a hard surface :( Scared to do push ups in the next workout.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
The non-slip mat thing worked great for my puzzle mat. Did every plyo move on it without fearing for my life. The puzzle edges came off a little so I may try that double-sided tape to stick it to the mat along the seams.

My wrist is still painful if I press my hand onto a hard surface :( Scared to do push ups in the next workout.

Great news about the puzzle mat! I also had the separation problem - I used single sided carpet seam tape for that.

Sucks about your wrist -- do you have a brace or wrap you can use while working out?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well, s'been a week without any pushups, so we'll see how it goes tonight. I'll have to get a wrap before next time if it starts tweaking on me again.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
New Beachbody workout from Tony Horton: 22 Minute Hard Corps

Interesting. Although having done Asylum 2's 45-65 minute workouts over the past 6 weeks I'm becoming increasingly convinced that these shorter workouts, no matter the intensity, just aren't as effective as longer workouts. Asylum 2's longer workouts with a mix of strength and power moves coupled with agility-based interval cardio seems to be far more effective.

Beachbody also has a coffee Shakeology coming out next year. Might be tasty.

Interesting. Although having done Asylum 2's 45-65 minute workouts over the past 6 weeks I'm becoming increasingly convinced that these shorter workouts, no matter the intensity, just aren't as effective as longer workouts. Asylum 2's longer workouts with a mix of strength and power moves coupled with agility-based interval cardio seems to be far more effective.

I agree regarding the shorter workouts. That was exactly my impression with x3, especially with the resistance workouts. I never done insanity og. But max30 is just right

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I agree regarding the shorter workouts. That was exactly my impression with x3, especially with the resistance workouts. I never done insanity og. But max30 is just right

I think the original Insanity is ok, it has some flaws (which are largely corrected in the live workouts). Asylum 1 was tough but I think Asylum 2 is way better, mostly because there's a bigger emphasis on muscle building and I think that makes it a more well-rounded program.

BumRush

In the middle of the second month of Insanity: Max 30
Current progress of someone who got diagnosed with MS 7 years ago. Never give up, never surrender :)

Sorry for the crap quality. iPhone pic..

VNjBwpc.jpg

I plan to finish up this round then either doing a second round or going back to P90X. I would like to add more strength and not sure of body weight will help me increase much..(?)

Congratulations Tash. Stay strong!!

Bodyweight will eventually make it difficult to add pure strength. Maybe swing by the fitness OT sometime for supplemental bar and DB work. Great job!

I3rand0

Totally agree. They even did a study recently that says 30 minute workouts are just not effective: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1121226

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Hi strangers!
I've taken two stabs at doing a hybrid Insanity/Asylum 1/Asylum 2 workout program. A few weeks into the first round, I got a nasty chest cold & with that coupled with a trip to LA, didn't workout for about 5 days. Restarted the hybrid program but my stamina is just shot. So this morning I've started Insanity Max: 30 to begin the rebuilding-of-stamina process.

I hope to return to the hybrid after Month 1 of Max: 30. We'll see how I'm doing by then.

In other news, the Beachbody On Demand app is now available for the Apple TV 4th gen. I think Beachbody On Demand is the best bargain in fitness, only $2 per week for tons of great programs (plus whatever ones you've purchased through teambeachbody.com). I've used the app on a FireTV stick but I like the new AppleTV better, so I've ordered another AppleTV 4th gen for my gym.

Hope everyone's doing well!

Bollocks

So anybody using Microsoft Band to measure their workouts?
Mine arrived today, I'm curious to what my heart rate will be, never measured it and also how it develops over time since it is super easy to track it thanks to the band.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
It comes out in the US on December 1 through teambeachbody.com. Not sure when it'll be on Amazon. If you are a Club member it's also supposed to go up on Beachbody On Demand & be available in your purchased library right away.

Hammer & Chisel should go on sale by 6PM EST today at the link above.

The base kit will include 12 workouts on 6 DVDs, a set of 7 portion-control containers and a shaker cup, the nutrition guide, quick-start guide, 60-day calendar, and 2 bonus workouts (10 Min Ab Hammer and 10 Min Ab Chisel). The nutrition guide allows for the optional use of Shakeology and Beachbody's "Performance" line of supplements.

Equipment needed are dumbbells, a bench or stability ball, and a chin-up bar or resistance band with door attachment.

Hammer & Chisel is "a 60 day rotation of hardcore strength training built on three phases of SSP Training--Stabilization, Strength and Power".

Hammer & Chisel will be available on Beachbody On Demand for Team Beachbody Club Members (that's how I'll use it; I may never open the DVDs). From what I can tell that'll be immediately available, but as with all BoD "purchased" programs you need to buy them through teambeachbody.com for the system to "know" you've bought them.

Prices:
Base Kit (as described above): $89.95 + s/h. $80.87 for Club members.
Challenge Pack (includes the Base Kit plus a 30-day supply of Shakeology on Home Direct auto-ship which you can cancel online, and a 30 day trial Club membership which gives you access to Beachbody On Demand): $180
Performance Pack (includes the Base Kit plus a 30 day supply of Beachbody Performance "Energize" pre-workout drink and a 30 day supply of Beachbody Performance "Recover" post-workout recovery drink): $180
DELUXE KIT $179.70
DELUXE UPGRADE KIT $89.85
DELUXE DVD's 44.85
The Deluxe kit adds an 8lb medicine ball, 4 advanced workouts (Hammer Build Up, Power Chisel, 15 Minute Leg Hammer, 15 Minute Glute Chisel) and an extra set of 7 color-coded portion control containers.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm not sure when it'll be available on other sources such as Amazon.com. That usually happens a few weeks after initial launch.

Edit: YMMV but I was able to place my order just now. Deluxe kit for me.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
The workouts are now available on Beachbody On Demand under Purchased Programs if you've ordered Hammer & Chisel. Did the two 10 minute ab workouts this morning. I've done more difficult ab workouts but they're always scheduled after a "primary" workout, so they seem like they'll be a good extra on those days.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
It's been a rough six weeks or so. I was sick, and it really sapped my stamina. I was attempting a second round of the hybrid Insanity/Asylum 1/Asylum 2 schedule and was bailing early or skipping workouts. I tried switched by to Insanity Max :30 but that was tough as well.

So I decided to give Cize a try, since it's fairly cheap and on Beachbody on Demand. And it's pretty damned fun. I don't think I'd feel comfortable doing it anywhere but in my basement :), but it's challenging learning the moves and trying to get the energy and beat of the music into them. I decided to try the advanced calendar, which incorporates some ab workouts and has a more varied schedule. In the standard program, you do the same routine every day for a week or until you feel like you've got the routine down solid, then you move on. In addition to the ab workouts, the advanced calendar has you alternate between two routines each day, with more advanced ones each week.

Today I did the "Crazy 8s" routine (35 minutes) with wrist weights & got a good sweat on.

Cize is just 30 days. I'm starting Hammer & Chisel on January 4 with an online group. Hopefully I'll have built my stamina back up by then.

LaneDS

I thought maybe this thread was closed or something! Had to search for it.

Started up Insanity Max 30 after getting a nice gut and some larger waist size jeans before starting a new job at the start of the year, so it's nice to be back to it (not nice when I'm dying in the middle of each workout). Haven't made much progress yet, but glad that I'm doing anything after months off and lots of bad eating (eating still isn't great, but one thing at a time).

My only goal is to weigh less than 180 by the end of the year. Super general goal, I know, but I haven't been under 180 since uh maybe high school? I figure 15 or so years later is a good time to get back to it.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Glad you're getting back to it!
I've been doing The Master's Hammer & Chisel and it's great. The workouts alternate between Sagi "Body Beast" Kalev (The Hammer) and Autumn Calabrese (the Chisel) and nearly all of them involve weights. This is an advanced workout program -- the modifier is generally using alternate methods if you don't have a bench or pull-up bar. Some of the moves are extremely dangerous, such as step ups with weights onto your bench. I saw a video of someone rolling her ankle on weighted side step-ups; she wasn't absorbing the shock of the step-down using toe-heel-knee bend, instead landing flat footed. The "pop" sound her ankle made was awful. I use the step riser I got with Les Mills Pump, as my bench is WAY too tall for moves like this. Anyway now that I've altered the dangerous moves I'm making progress on weights. There are 16 workouts so there's a tremendous variety, and each week is different.

LaneDS

Thanks! A buddy of mine who a few years back got into P90X and then all the assorted BB workouts (and has stuck with it much more consistently than I) started doing the Hammer and Chisel workouts recently and recommended them too. Offered to let me borrow them but I declined because I feel like I need to get back to a level of fitness I feel okay about before trying something new, but I'll try to check it out sometime early this year!

Edit: posted this laying down on an exercise mat post cardio challenge (modified). These IM30 workouts kill me.

Bollocks

How are the Chisel workouts compared to Insanity and how long are they?
Hope they are longer than 30m because I love me some sweat covered shirt but I get bored by the Insanity workouts, a little variety would be cool. That's why I occasionally go for a run instead of a workout.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
How are the Chisel workouts compared to Insanity and how long are they?
Hope they are longer than 30m because I love me some sweat covered shirt but I get bored by the Insanity workouts, a little variety would be cool. That's why I occasionally go for a run instead of a workout.

There are a couple short "main" workouts, but most of them are around the 40 minute mark. They don't try to cram everything into a set duration. The two ab routines are 10 minutes and in the deluxe kit there are a couple short workouts you can substitute in if you're short on time. And there are often days where one of the ab workouts is scheduled in addition to a main workout so on those days you're looking at an hour.

I tend to pause during some of the moves to change weights, and that extends the workouts too. Did the same thing in Body Beast.

alejob

I'm thinking of doing a round of P90X to get in shape. I'm not I can commit that much time to it though. I did Plyo X two days ago and I'm hurting bad. I just need to get in better shape than I am now.

LaneDS

I'm thinking of doing a round of P90X to get in shape. I'm not I can commit that much time to it though. I did Plyo X two days ago and I'm hurting bad. I just need to get in better shape than I am now.

If you can't commit all the required time, just do what you can. Or check out something like P90X3 (30 minute workouts) or Insanity Max 30 or T25 which require less time.

I'm going to do a mix of original P90X and IM30 this week. Something is better than nothing! I weighed myself yesterday, and woof, I have some work to do this year.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hey, Steve- what was the double-sided tape you recommended to use to adhere the puzzle mat pieces?
So anybody using Microsoft Band to measure their workouts?
Mine arrived today, I'm curious to what my heart rate will be, never measured it and also how it develops over time since it is super easy to track it thanks to the band.
I know this was a while back but I've been using one for the last week and I really really like it.

I used to always just estimate 400 calories for the P90X workouts no matter which it was (to be conservative). Did Plyo last night and apparently that was off by a full 100% according to the band XD 800 calories up in flames, my heart rate was between 140-160 for like 40 minutes of the thing.
Starting P90X tomorrow!! wish me luck!
Been sticking with it? How's it going?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Hey, Steve- what was the double-sided tape you recommended to use to adhere the puzzle mat pieces?

Search for carpet tape. It's usually around 2" wide and you can get it single or double sided. I used single sided, so my mats are stuck to each other but not to the floor. I bought mine from Home Depot.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Gotcha, thanks. I'll hit Home Depot today and grab some. I want to try sticking the pieces to one another with one side and the whole mat to my anti-slip pad on the other. The current setup works fine but it's a huge pain to set up and remove each time.

LaneDS

Two weeks complete with a mix of P90X and IM30 (modified workouts) and feeling much better. As usual, not much lighter yet, but trying to be more focused with diet than I usually am along with an aggressive 5-6 workouts a week for the forseeable future.

Friday Fight, man, that is appropriately named because it is tough (even modified!).

Akala

Glad you're getting back to it!
I've been doing The Master's Hammer & Chisel and it's great. The workouts alternate between Sagi "Body Beast" Kalev (The Hammer) and Autumn Calabrese (the Chisel) and nearly all of them involve weights. This is an advanced workout program -- the modifier is generally using alternate methods if you don't have a bench or pull-up bar. Some of the moves are extremely dangerous, such as step ups with weights onto your bench. I saw a video of someone rolling her ankle on weighted side step-ups; she wasn't absorbing the shock of the step-down using toe-heel-knee bend, instead landing flat footed. The "pop" sound her ankle made was awful. I use the step riser I got with Les Mills Pump, as my bench is WAY too tall for moves like this. Anyway now that I've altered the dangerous moves I'm making progress on weights. There are 16 workouts so there's a tremendous variety, and each week is different.

We're on second week of it and it's felt like three leg days in a row which is eh compared to p90 we've done in the past...does it get better/even out in future weeks?

Some of the bench stuff is LOLNO. I think we're gonna get some steps this weekend as modifiers don't seem to be the way.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
We're on second week of it and it's felt like three leg days in a row which is eh compared to p90 we've done in the past...does it get better/even out in future weeks?

Some of the bench stuff is LOLNO. I think we're gonna get some steps this weekend as modifiers don't seem to be the way.

There's a LOT of emphasis on legs, but I think that incorporating leg work into more of the workouts, as opposed to having workouts entirely devoted to legs, is a better approach. Everyone dreads leg day, which can lead to skipping the workouts. Having leg moves in multiple workouts helps to avoid that.

I also like that the schedule varies so much from week to week -- a lot of these programs have fixed weekly schedules that only change after a month. This approach helps keep you from getting bored.

Wreav

Banned
Starting Beta round of my first go at T25 today. Loving the program so far, but hoping I can keep up in Beta, as I was still having to pace/shake it out during some of the Alpha exercises.

Nuts what kinds of results I've seen in just 5 weeks so far!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wish I knew the damn story behind Keith1985nYc's youtube channel. That goddamn Ab Workout (used to be https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk_usVg7Fp0) was so quick and so much better than anything in P90X or X2 and now it's gone forever. :(

edit: Holy shit, just typing this post inspired me to google his username for the first time. Someone reuploaded it here (with completely overdubbed audio, but whatever): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhQEEfzk0rA

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

edit: and in the comments is the story I wanted all along!
Keith Horan: Hey thanks for uploading this again! Anyway, I just wanted to inform you all that my account "Keith1985nyc" has been hijacked and currently not in my control. If you followed me there please continue to follow me here until all is resolved. I can't wait to start uploading again, thanks for the support guys!
this is a very satisfying feeling.

last edit:

Here it is from his official new channel with better music, and everything but the exercises stripped out of the video. 6 minutes and 22 seconds, and damn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdkbttqzO0U

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Finished up Hammer & Chisel this weekend. Overall I think it's an excellent workout program. I started a round of Body Beast: Lean this morning. I think I'm going to do 3 weeks per phase, to build up some more strength, and then dive back in to Hammer & Chisel, rather than do the full 90 days.

Also I earned my first ever black belt on Saturday in Bukido (weapons-based martial arts). Decided to take Sunday off & bail on the last H&C workout in celebration. Not bad for 51 years old! Now the real training can begin.

Top Bottom