• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

My understanding was:

The player was the "celestial" in Tiz's body, who entered his body in order to play the game. When the game ends, we leave, leaving his body.

I know there are other, probably better theories in this.

Thats what i thought too, the AR video with Agnes at the beginning of the game also points in that direction

But

If thats true, i dont know what the fuck is going on with the end movie, unless tiz wasnt dead, just in really bad shape, so they have been healling him in that facility ?

Falk

that puzzling face
What I got from Tiz falling over at the end was him succumbing to the trauma of having someone else inside his body along with himself and then leaving after the job is done, as opposed to the complete takeover or replacement/doppleganger/etc. theories. After all, in many situations Tiz does react in ways that Tiz would, rather than a Celestial or the player would (about his brother, his memories of the village, wanting to rebuild it, etc) and several characters (summoner for one) detect 'another presence'.

This fight in chapter 8 central command with
Ominas, Mephilia, Qada and Yulyana
is just plain unfair. Getting one-shotted like crazy. Gonna have to make use of Bravely Second to take out
Mephilia.

demidar

is just plain unfair. Getting one-shotted like crazy. Gonna have to make use of Bravely Second to take out
Mephilia.

You could always set up Stillness strats, but that's effective against everyone. For a strategy that doesn't use Stillness, I was thinking a Time Mage with Falcon Knives/Fox Tails with the Cast All skill and casting reraise on everyone. Everyone else are classes that pump up as much P. Atk as possible with See You In Hell (deal damage on KO) skills equipped with Gloom and Rise From Dead (50% to get back up from KO at end of turn) as a backup.

Labadal

Mephilia.

Leave Qada for last, that is all I remember from that fight. Also have one Ninja to avoid his attack when he is alone. You should also have someone that can use Dispel.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You can also kill Qada first to prevent him from weakening your party. Dark Knight with Gloom and P.Att +10% and 20%, Drain Attack Up, and Sword Magic. Use Drain + Rage. Especially effective if you can have a Salve Maker go first and hit him with Dark Weak. Should go down in the first turn.

With Qada out of the way, have a Spiritmaster use Enigma and laugh.

duckroll

Mephilia.

I didn't find anything in the game unfair at all. The optional battles at the end of chapter 8 were really fun simply because you CAN die even with everyone at lvl99 with all the best equipment, since by that time that's the state of the party for most players who would bother with that sort of optional content would be. I found it a ton of fun figuring out exactly what the trick is to the battles, and after identifying the pattern each party uses, I break it down systematically to determine what I can do to counter and nullify each part of those patterns, and using that I build a party of my own around that, and apply the strategy.

Azuardo

Hello guys, I was wondering if some people with some really strong friend summons could add me, so that I can easily whoop the last boss and put this game to bed... Please let me know if you add me... I could really do with the help. Thanks!

My friend code: 4253-3674-1282

graywords

Finally getting to play through the game proper, after going through the demo a couple of times prior to release.

Tons of fun so far. I've been taking my time going through it, at about 40 hrs of play, near the beginning of Chapter 4. At this point the overworld monsters aren't falling as easily to auto-battle, so during job grinding I'm having to save after each battle (to keep an unlucky paralyze from setting my progress back).

There's probably an easier way to win at job grinding at this point, but I haven't put much thought into it yet.

Music is great! The main theme is memorable, and I love the variations on it in multiple pieces.

As an aside, does the regular battle theme remind anyone else of a Phoenix Wright song?

Here's an example of the similarity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E_ffPmrNVs

NeeL

Neo Member
Hey guys, chapter 5 question, so, I guess, spoilers!

When you gain access to the World Map in the beginning of Ch.5, there're bosses, all of them, but tougher. The question is, should I spend my time beating them or I can just as well skip 'em and not be f****ed bad in the later boss fights? Is it worth investing 5 more hours in those fights?

It's just I've been playing this game since January and really want to beat it. Ugh, Jrpgs and two jobs are tough.

Thanks!

When you gain access to the World Map in the beginning of Ch.5, there're bosses, all of them, but tougher. The question is, should I spend my time beating them or I can just as well skip 'em and not be f****ed bad in the later boss fights? Is it worth investing 5 more hours in those fights?

It's just I've been playing this game since January and really want to beat it. Ugh, Jrpgs and two jobs are tough.

Thanks!

Skip the ones in Chapter 5 and
repeated ones in Chapter 6
, but try the rest.

RiggyRob

Thanks!

The subquests in Chapter 5 are pretty pointless, there's only minimal dialogue changes, so feel free to just skip straight to the crystal bosses. Make sure you get the
Vampire
job at some point and the
Summoner
job in Chapter 6 though.

Videoneon

Was wondering if someone had an idea about party construction they could throw my way.

I am currently running around with a Dark Knight/Spell Fencer, Spiritmaster/White Mage, ????? and Vampire/Monk or Arcanist. The team needs a BP generator for my Dark Knight and Spiritmaster but don't really have any ideas. As things are now it's nice for random encounters as most things are but could be a lot better for more drawn out encounters. Can't do Utsusemi/Turn Tables as it's too inefficient and will cripple my builds. I don't like the idea of Hasten World outside of using 4 Valkyries.

I'm at Chapter 5.

demidar

Was wondering if someone had an idea about party construction they could throw my way.

I am currently running around with a Dark Knight/Spell Fencer, Spiritmaster/White Mage, ????? and Vampire/Monk or Arcanist. The team needs a BP generator for my Dark Knight and Spiritmaster but don't really have any ideas. As things are now it's nice for random encounters as most things are but could be a lot better for more drawn out encounters. Can't do Utsusemi/Turn Tables as it's too inefficient and will cripple my builds. I don't like the idea of Hasten World outside of using 4 Valkyries.

I'm at Chapter 5.

I use My Hero (Performer 14) + Mimic (Freelancer 14) but that takes a lot of grinding. You could try giving BP Recover (Red Mage/Gain BP when inflicted with a status effect) to everyone then getting a Red Mage with Cast All (Black Mage 13 or 14) to poison your entire team three times then cast Poisona to cure them before it deals damage. That's more cheaper than my build, but for how I run my party some characters need all 5 skill slots.

Soriku

I'm at Chapter 5.

For BP generation:

Hasten World

Performer BP up skills

Merchant's Low Leverage to decrease BP costs (also cuts damage on both sides as well as MP cost)

Videoneon

Thanks pardners. I was also looking into the Red Mage BP boosters like BP Recovery and Poison. My Agnes is the maxed Dark Knight though, and she also has Black Mage/Group Cast All. Don't feel like grinding shit right now. I really didn't want to use Hasten World or Low Leverage because I really don't want to give benefits to enemies, but I have Edea dual-wielding shields as a Freelancer/Performer and she's only out one turn so it's not so bad. I think I should be fine enough as is, and I'm not sure I want BP Recovery and . It'd put a small dent on my setups. Especially Epic Group Cast/Holy One, but 3 mp cure doing like 70% has lost its novelty anyway.

going to be looking into the other methods too =\

Well just did the Florem side quest (still on Chapter 2 I think?)

Boy was that FUCKED UP! I'm genuinely shocked the game which had been pretty upbeat went into Game of Thrones territory.

Finally got some street passes too, I presume they're only for Norende?

Also can someone explain Abilink? I sorta messed around with it using the bots provided by the game, but I really have no idea how to take advantage of it.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I just started playing and only brought over 2 villagers from the demo. Is there a way to get more without street passing?

When you talk to the guy to save, select the "update data" option. You'll get 3-4 everyday (as in, you can only do this once per day).

Videoneon

Well just did the Florem side quest (still on Chapter 2 I think?)

Boy was that FUCKED UP! I'm genuinely shocked the game which had been pretty upbeat went into Game of Thrones territory.

Finally got some street passes too, I presume they're only for Norende?

Also can someone explain Abilink? I sorta messed around with it using the bots provided by the game, but I really have no idea how to take advantage of it.

I thought
paying off a thief to scare people away from the oasis, controlling the supply and price of water, and blaming it on the Wind Vestal ranks pretty high too. Khamer and Profiteur were playing hard, though I think Profiteur wasn't really taking the lead and it was more DeRosa or something like that

Be sure to read the accompanying notes that you got in D's Journal from DeRosa

As for the Street Pass villagers yeah they're for Norende. Will help exponentially with unlocking things, otherwise leveling up shops is massively tedious.

I could not help you with Abilink, I didn't touch that. =\

I thought
paying off a thief to scare people away from the oasis, controlling the supply and price of water, and blaming it on the Wind Vestal ranks pretty high too. Khamer and Profiteur were playing hard, though I think Profiteur wasn't really taking the lead and it was more DeRosa or something like that

Be sure to read the accompanying notes that you got in D's Journal from DeRosa

As for the Street Pass villagers yeah they're for Norende. Will help exponentially with unlocking things, otherwise leveling up shops is massively tedious.

I could not help you with Abilink, I didn't touch that. =

I think the difference is I found the oasis scheme pretty simple and straight forward. Messed up sure, but not shocking. With Florem though I think when Summoner Whatshername went into such explicit detail about ripping the wings off dead fairies made me go "WHOA!" (Helps that the VA sounded so perfectly unhinged and psychotic) And then I was expecting things to resolve quickly and cleanly when you defeat her. Nope. The kids who you were trying to save ended up killing each other. Young. Children. Really shocked the hell outta me. Really can't wait to see just how the Hell Edea was in the dark on all this

Jeez, I've been stuck in Central Command chapter 8 for like a week now. At least I FINALLY beat the
Olivia-leading fight.
Goddamn, were these last few brutal. Been having to use very specific strategies to not die. Coming up with them is pretty fun though.

So I just hit Ch.5.

What a stupid fucking way to artificially lengthen a game that I've already put 50+ hours into. Seriously? Uuuuuuuuuuuugh. Then again, I do kind of like games that have a strong post-endgame, but honestly, save it for then as optional content, please? This took me right out of the experience. Oh well, will keep grinding on and finishing the game anyway because I do enjoy the job system.

Labadal

So I just hit Ch.5.

What a stupid fucking way to artificially lengthen a game that I've already put 50+ hours into. Seriously? Uuuuuuuuuuuugh. Then again, I do kind of like games that have a strong post-endgame, but honestly, save it for then as optional content, please? This took me right out of the experience. Oh well, will keep grinding on and finishing the game anyway because I do enjoy the job system.

Skip side quests in chapter 5 & 6 if you feel that you are losing interest. Then do the ones in chapter 7 (for stealing the good stuff) and chapter 8 for the best fights in the game.

Kuntz

I'm starting a self-imposed 4 jobs fiesta.
What I randomly got:

Swordmaster, Vampire, Thief, Templar.

This is going to be interesting...

And yet they didn't think to cut the repetitiveness of the second half of the game - I guess the Japanese do love mindless grinding then.

They'd probably have to rewrite that part of the game entirely so I guess they decided to not bother. Bravely Second likely won't have anything like Default's second half considering how much flak it got.

Meier

Question about Chapter 7:

I've just now encountered a tri-boss fight which seems like it will be terribly difficult. Is it worth doing these fights (I assume there are more)? Or should I just got to 8? 1 crystal left. Thanks.

RiggyRob

I've just now encountered a tri-boss fight which seems like it will be terribly difficult. Is it worth doing these fights (I assume there are more)? Or should I just got to 8? 1 crystal left. Thanks.

The chapter 7 fights are definitely worth doing, you can steal some of the best items in the game from the bosses.

Labadal

Do them, they are the best battles in the game. Unlike City, you will win in the end. You just need to engineer the right tactics.

Meier

Thanks guys. Stole a Longinus but killed Holly without trying to steal repeatedly from her. Ahh well. Other boss wasn't carrying anything sadly.

Do them, they are the best battles in the game. Unlike City, you will win in the end. You just need to engineer the right tactics.
Agent Kolo will come through for us at least once.

Dreavus

Kind of stuck on the Fire Crystal boss, and grinding has been super slow at my level (lvl 45).

Does anyone know what element his big AoE attack is? I thought it was fire, but my fire immune members were getting hit by it as well.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Kind of stuck on the Fire Crystal boss, and grinding has been super slow at my level (lvl 45).

Does anyone know what element his big AoE attack is? I thought it was fire, but my fire immune members were getting hit by it as well.

It's physical if I remember correctly.

RiggyRob

It's physical, use Rampart or Utsusemi to block/evade it.

Labadal

You could default and then use white magic to heal up. When he has his shield up, keep defaulting. When it goes down, default once more. He will unleash his attack. Let one character heal up your party. If you have defaulted enough, you will get at least 12 free actions to use on the boss.
Then repeat the whole process.

Top Bottom