• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brie Larson Isn’t Letting Her ‘Captain Marvel’ Press Tour Be ‘Overwhelmingly’ White and Male

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

“About a year ago, I started paying attention to what my press days looked like and the critics reviewing movies, and noticed 
it appeared to be overwhelmingly white male,” Larson said when asked about her reasons for choosing Brown as her interviewer. “So, I spoke to 
Dr. Stacy Smith at the USC Annenberg Inclusion Initiative, who put together a study to confirm that. Moving forward, I decided to make sure my press days were more inclusive. After speaking with you, the film critic Valerie Complex and a few other women of color, it sounded like across the board they weren’t getting the same opportunities as others. When I talked to the facilities that weren’t providing it, they all had different excuses.”

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/02/b...clusive-captain-marvel-press-tour-1202043142/

Last edited:

Dthomp

Ugh, and here I was finally starting to come around to seeing Captain Marvel to get me some Agent Coulson, but then this bitch opens her mouth and something stupid comes out and I feel like I shouldn't see her movie...

ive said this time and time again but when the fuck did white chicks weasel themselves on the fucking oppression totem pole near the bottom. if there is one and it would be based on like all progressive ruling if white guys are at the top they are one rung below them. how the fuck did white chicks manage to put up this smoke screen and be among the most oppressed

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
ive said this time and time again but when the fuck did white chicks weasel themselves on the fucking oppression totem pole near the bottom. if there is one and it would be based on like all progressive ruling if white guys are at the top they are one rung below them. how the fuck did white chicks manage to put up this smoke screen and be among the most oppressed

They had all the spare time to think up these schemes while they were home cleaning the house and tending to the kitchen.

In all seriousness, the victim complex is especially more hilarious coming out of attractive blonde white girls. The most "easy ride" of all species on the planet.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
My wife's white middle class expensive private school trust-fund kid friends are constantly telling me (white guy, poor background, state school and even missed a chunk of that, druggie/alcoholic parents, no trust fund) to check my privilege. I have got to the point of telling them to go fuck themselves tbh.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
To expand my previous post a little - I'm obviously one example, but the point is that these people make assumptions about me based on my gender, sexuality and race. They don't look deeper into my story to find out whether I am actually privileged, nor do they do the same for any other straight white male. Now the same could be said re these interviewers. The black women may well be well-off, well-connected and already doing just fine thank you while the white guys might be struggling, trying to get their big break with an interview that gets them into the business properly, but she's using immutable characteristics to decide that they don't deserve it. Obviously the white guys may also be rich pricks, who knows, but the point is she's making lazy assumptions based on race and gender. I just don't get how that's ok.

And now it's time for another good idea, bad idea.

Good idea: Appealing to lesser-known media sources and interviewers, and requesting that a diverse group of people interview you.

Bad idea: Using the words "overwhelmingly white male" in a pejorative sense, when the audience for your film is likely to be "overwhelmingly white males," more than any demographic.

They say actions speak louder than words, but really, that's not always the case. Sometimes actions on their own can be fine, and then come those stupid words.

Last edited:

Dunki

reminds me a bit of this diversity meeting of the Huff Post a few years ago^^

Ci7V02mXIAAs3eN.jpg

(Society in 2019).
How do we fight racism and sexism?...........Oh I know! With more racism and sexism! Specifically toward white men! Yea! That won’t have any ramifications at all and is totally what MLK fought for.

LMJ

This is all getting so tiring after a while...

However, it has me thinking whether or not anybody in Hollywood actually believes any of this garbage or if they think it just sells, I'm not talkin directors and producers but actors, writers, if any of them actually believe this garbage or they just know it's going to create hot clicks and get more attention...

It will be a real shame if Captain Marvel is filled with this kind I'm stupidly, but you can bet if it does it also may be one of the lowest grossing Marvel movies in a long time, and if that happens you know it's going to be blamed on misogyny, sexism, etc etc

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So 64% of articles were written by white males. The US is 61% white, and I suspect males are far more likely to go into this field of germalism. Did this dumb cunt do any maths or did she just assume that demographics are irrelevant?

Remember, it's about feelings, not facts.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
My wife's white middle class expensive private school trust-fund kid friends are constantly telling me (white guy, poor background, state school and even missed a chunk of that, druggie/alcoholic parents, no trust fund) to check my privilege. I have got to the point of telling them to go fuck themselves tbh.
It's good advice though, if you do not check your privilege regularly, it may start doing drugs or ruin your appartment.

Dunki

Luckily such sexist discriminstion would not ne posdible Here in Germany. Always These fucking racist ans sexist modern feminists

Yoshi

Luckily such sexist discriminstion would not ne posdible Here in Germany. Always These fucking racist ans sexist modern feminists
It would be possible, here, too, celebrities are free to choose to whom they give interviews.

mcz117chief

This is all getting so tiring after a while...

However, it has me thinking whether or not anybody in Hollywood actually believes any of this garbage or if they think it just sells, I'm not talkin directors and producers but actors, writers, if any of them actually believe this garbage or they just know it's going to create hot clicks and get more attention...

It will be a real shame if Captain Marvel is filled with this kind I'm stupidly, but you can bet if it does it also may be one of the lowest grossing Marvel movies in a long time, and if that happens you know it's going to be blamed on misogyny, sexism, etc etc

There was recently an interview with a film producer, I think it was a film producer, who said that everyone in Hollywood semi-secretly hates The Last Jedi but said they liked it to get kick-backs from Disney. I think it works the same here.

Yoshi

I do not think you can discriminate like that here. No matter if she wants it or not. She can not discriminate here.
She is not employing them or anything, she chooses to speak to them or not. I am aware of no law saying you need to pick the people you talk to by some specific form of criterion. She can choose to only talk to large people, black people, female people, no people. She can even talk to Springer press if she's crazy enough.

Dunki

She is not employing them or anything, she chooses to speak to them or not. I am aware of no law saying you need to pick the people you talk to by some specific form of criterion. She can choose to only talk to large people, black people, female people, no people. She can even talk to Springer press if she's crazy enough.
She is denying people doing their job etc. You also can not open a bsiness and say that you only serve white people as customer. It is a professional environment not a private matter.

Saruhashi

Banned
I find myself wondering why she accepted the role in the first place? Would it not make more sense for her to step aside and allow someone who is not white to take the role instead?

It just seems not right that she would take the job knowing that she herself is white and already overwhelmingly represented but then would try to dictate who can and cannot do other jobs based on their race.

Papa

Banned

If she does it and keeps her yap shut — implausible for a feminist, I know, but bear with me — then sure, she can get away with it. But when she openly declares her discrimination and then follows through on it, surely she’s open to legal action.

Yoshi

She is denying people doing their job etc. You also can not open a bsiness and say that you only serve white people as customer. It is a professional environment not a private matter.
No, by not giving interviews to some people you are not denying them doing their jobs. She is denying them one special, personal opportunity, but whom to give interviews to is not regulated in any way to my best knowledge.
If she does it and keeps her yap shut — implausible for a feminist, I know, but bear with me — then sure, she can get away with it. But when she openly declares her discrimination and then follows through on it, surely she’s open to legal action.
Maybe in Australia? I do not know, but to my best knowledge, no such limitations apply in Germany. Of course, she must live with negative reactions because of it, but I do not see any basis for a legal case.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No, by not giving interviews to some people you are not denying them doing their jobs. She is denying them one special, personal opportunity, but whom to give interviews to is not regulated in any way to my best knowledge.

So what do you think of her comments?

Papa

Banned
Maybe in Australia? I do not know, but to my best knowledge, no such limitations apply in Germany. Of course, she must live with negative reactions because of it, but I do not see any basis for a legal case.

> Publicly declares intent to discriminate against white males

> White male requests interview, gets rejected

Surely there are grounds for a lawsuit there?

Yoshi

> Publicly declares intent to discriminate against white males

> White male requests interview, gets rejected

Surely there are grounds for a lawsuit there?
Discrimination is not illegal per se, it is in specific contexts, e.g. government interaction, offering services, employment.

Great marketing for her film...given 90% of the intended audience is probably white male. Impending box office flop levels of marketing.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
As mentioned above - any flop will be blamed on misogyny, the angry white male. Of course, it is standard for bullies to poke and prod someone and wonder why they get angry.

Dontero

Banned
Discrimination is not illegal per se, it is in specific contexts, e.g. government interaction, offering services, employment.

Racism you mean. Though you are right.

I wonder how she pick up her interviewers:
"hmm today i got 4 calls Patric XXX, Omar XXX and two others"
"That Omar sounds black to me but that Patric could be white, i need to check run background check if he is white or not"

Yoshi

Racism you mean. Though you are right.

I wonder how she pick up her interviewers:
"hmm today i got 4 calls Patric XXX, Omar XXX and two others"
"That Omar sounds black to me but that Patric could be white, i need to check run background check if he is white or not"
Racism and discrimination are both not illegal per se. She was not merely being racist, she discriminated for ehtnicity and sex. In this context, discrimination is the more general term, encompassing both types of discrimination.

I think it's about time Europe severs the line to the US and builds their own film industry before this retardedness spreads even further into our countries. Then all the evil white males like Nolan, Cameron, Spielberg etc. can come over and make privileged movies here while all females and minorities run Hollywood.

Dontero

Banned
I think it's about time Europe severs the line to the US and builds their own film industry before this retardedness spreads even further into our countries. Then all the evil white males like Nolan, Cameron, Spielberg etc. can come over and make privileged movies here while all females and minorities run Hollywood.

Honestly speaking what China did, to build a wall effectively caused them to create their own internet culture, movies, industry and so on. While i don't find it viable really the only way for your idea to work would be to do what Chinese did. Build internet wall.

While nations languages sort of work like firewall in modern world where basically english became defacto international language those national languages barely mean anything today when it comes to big ideas like forming your own movie center etc.

lock2k

Banned
Racism and discrimination are both not illegal per se. She was not merely being racist, she discriminated for ehtnicity and sex. In this context, discrimination is the more general term, encompassing both types of discrimination.

Not going to see her movie and watch it crash and burn is also not illegal. Hope it tanks hard.

Top Bottom