• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CIVILIZATION VI |OT| He's Got the Whole World in His Hands

Amazon just confirmed my Anniversary edition is shipped, will be here tomorrow.

BFVHkTu.gif

Anno

Why is Civ 6 listed twice in the top sellers on steam, both for $60 lol. Is it outselling everything at double the rate?

Yeah I dunno why some games do this from time to time. It's weird.

On a positive note, Steam is back to 3 hours. I wasn't really in doubt but it's nice to see.

3 hours arghhhhh

I love how outrageously complex the adjacency bonuses are. Means that on most maps you're probably not going to be able to create a truly optimal setup.

ACE 1991

My initial impressions are that it's a fair bit more complex than Civ V right off the bat. There's a lot to do here.

That said, I also think the interface is really, really good. Even if you don't know exactly what you're doing right off the bat, nothing in the interface is gonna fight you from doing it.

Don't worry about it, these games have a really good tutorial system. I play them on easiest difficulty and only using a mouse. You'll have a blast.

Great, thank you!

Short impressions ( I really have to go to bed - work tomorrow :/ ):

-I really, really dig the visual presentation. Easily the cleanest and best-looking Civ to date.
-The UI is very pleasant to look at and use.
-The music is wonderful.
-Really like the fog of war and unexplored land showing up as old map parchment.

The game seems really good, guys. So happy to say that about a new, vanilla Civ!

naib

Holy crap that PC Gamer review. Got me so thirsty..

Not sure whether to play one last CivV game or go in w/ a clean pallet after some SFV fisty-cuffs.

Strider

Played 40-50 turns... Will play a little bit more here in a couple hours.

Only real impressions I can have in that limited playtime is the UI and visuals... Really really like both... The game just has a super clean look to it which I enjoy.

Only problem though is the UI seems a bit small to me. I'm playing at 1440p so maybe that could be why? I could not check the UI scaling option for some reason.

Blizzard

Banned
Played 40-50 turns... Will play a little bit more here in a couple hours.

Only real impressions I can have in that limited playtime is the UI and visuals... Really really like both... The game just has a super clean look to it which I enjoy.

Only problem though is the UI seems a bit small to me. I'm playing at 1440p so maybe that could be why? I could not check the UI scaling option for some reason.
Yeah, several people have complained about that. It's grayed out at 1440p and 1080p and is apparently pretty tiny sadly.

Been playing basically all day. About 250 turns into my first game. Overall, the jump from Civ V to VI is not as big as IV to V from what I can tell.

I really like the "Eureka" bonuses. Gives you something to aim for to increase efficiency rather than just picking a research plan and plowing in that direction. I like the trade system and how that is the tool to build roads. The builder system has been ok so far, was a little concerned that the change away from permanent workers would be tedious, but its been fine.

One big annoyance (kind of a bug) that I have right now is that Great People spawn at your capitol, unless its a Great Admiral and your capitol isn't on the coast, then it'll spawn at the nearest coastal city. Which was fine for the first Great Admiral I got. Then eventually I bought into a three-tile lake to build a Wonder on it. Now that is considered my "nearest" coastal city, and Great Admirals will only spawn there. But since the city itself is not on the coast, I can't move it into the city to transfer it somewhere else. I literally can't accept Great Admirals anymore because they'd be worthless (some of them can be retired, some can't depending on the circumstances).

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Arrgggh why is UI up scaling not allowed at 1080p? This text is so tiny on my TV.

Is there some other way to enable it when the tick box is greyed out?

Wanted to jump on this as soon as it unlocks but my sleep's been awful lately (and waking up early for the Nintendo Switch reveal)

Excited to jump in tomorrow. Got a group of 4-5 people who are excited to someone die to barbarians!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Also, why can't I click-drag anywhere on the tech and civics tree to scroll it? Why in the hell do they make me grab the scroll bar?

I'm pretty sure even Civ 5 let you click and drag anywhere...

Blizzard

Banned
This. Im playing on my tv and this is brutal holy shit
Arrgggh why is UI up scaling not allowed at 1080p? This text is so tiny on my TV.

Is there some other way to enable it when the tick box is greyed out?

Unfortunately no, from earlier on this page:

Yeah, several people have complained about that. It's grayed out at 1440p and 1080p and is apparently pretty tiny sadly.

There was also at least one Steam thread about it with no workaround.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Unfortunately no, from earlier on this page:

There was also at least one Steam thread about it with no workaround.

Give game native steam controller support to encourage playing on a TV. Make text impossible to read on a 1080p TV.

Fucking brilliant Firaxis.

Ugh. Well, I'm dropping to 720p then, I can't deal with this.

EDIT: It doesn't even have a 720p resolution!

Blizzard

Banned
Give game native steam controller support to encourage playing on a TV. Make text impossible to read on a 1080p TV.

I think it might be a bug. Someone mentioned every resolution they tried still had the option grayed out.

How much is the DLC going to be? I can get the base game for 40 and if the DLC is less than 40, I would rather just buy it that way.

Rubixcuba

Banned
Does anyone have a (bug I assume) where the notification that another Civ built a wonder appears ever turn? I've known about Rome building Stonehenge all game now.

Anno

Sorry if this sounds dumb but how do i get amenities? Building building's isn't giving me any.

Improving luxury resources is probably the most common route. There's also an entertainment district that let's you build some buildings for more amenities. Also some civics and then other random stuff.

I finally got in by VPN and played for about an hour. The game runs really well on my 970 and looks really quite beautiful. I recommend turning on the day/night cycle for some especially nice ocean sunsets. It's also super nice being able to rebind most important keys! This weekend is going to be a depressing amount of Civ and scotch, I think.

carlsojo

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but are the civs/leaders in the OP the only ones? I know Greece has two leaders, just wasn't sure if there were more civs/leaders in the final game.

Violet_0

Banned
had Spain declare a "suprise war" on me during the Classical Era, only for them to get stomped by me and Norway who was my friend and joined the war, taking over their cities. Ultimately I decided to restart the game tomorrow now that I got a better feeling for it

not sure how exacly housing and a number of other things work, but I'll find out eventually. My first impression from roughly 3 hours of play is that the game is quite a bit more complicated than the last ones, but with a lot of depth

Blizzard

Banned
Does the UI scale with resolution? Thinking of playing at 4K (why not) but was impossible to do on CIV 5 becasue the UI was tiny.
It's been discussed twice on this page, sadly. There is a UI scaling button but it is grayed out.

Civ 5 also had Steam controller support and no scaling, so who knows if they will fix it.

Vex_

Banned

Yea and all the other resolutions are @ 59hz. The fuck.

Weird because the resolution I am at is 1080p@60hz.

Goddamn it.

Edit: also my fucking scout was tearing shit up. Holy shit. He can beat hordes of barbarians. I think he is stronger than my warrior.

spiritfox

Japan's district adjacency bonus is actually very good. You don't need 2 districts to start getting bonuses so you can get it from the start, and it allows you to be more flexible with district placement.

Vex_

Banned
Im curious...

I am currently playing as the Romans and was wondering if everyone's civ had different music in the background?

Cause I might restart (again) just to pick a civ with the best music. Lol.

ST2K

Im curious...

I am currently playing as the Romans and was womdering if everyone's civ had different music in the background?

Cause I might restart (again) just to pick a civ with the best music. Lol.

Every Civ has a different theme that gradually grows in complexity over the eras.

Blizzard

Banned
Every Civ has a different theme that gradually grows in complexity over the eras.
I'm almost convinced that Spain's music is based on some well-known piece of classical music (maybe even Spanish classical guitar music). I can't identify it though.

Vex_

Banned

Sick sick sick. Ok ok, I may just do multiple playthroughs just to hear them build up.

Man this game is tight tight tight.

Fix the ui firaxis.

Top Bottom