• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Contra Rogue Corps is coming to Switch!

When they busted this one out during the E3 Nintendo Direct I thought it looked like shit.

I played the switch demo and oh boy this is even worse than I expected, It's impressively bad. It plays like a game that's had 6 months of production. The game looks terrible, but I could deal with that at 60 fps. Nah, the game seems to run at around 20-25 fps. The control scheme is an abomination, the pace is weird, the music sucks ass, and the tone is dumb as shit.

Why didn't Konami just have Way Forward make a Contra 5?

The Cinnemassacre video completely nailed it. I played the demo about a day or so before the video was posted and they go through just about evereything that sucks about the demo.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I was worried this would be the case. I'm usually a big Contra fan, and nothing they had shown appealed to me.

I would love it if someone made a really good 4-player 2D Contra similar to the way Castlevania: Harmony of Despair was handled.

KOMANI

KOMANI
I was worried this would be the case. I'm usually a big Contra fan, and nothing they had shown appealed to me.

I would love it if someone made a really good 4-player 2D Contra similar to the way Castlevania: Harmony of Despair was handled.
I loved Harmony of Despair.

To continue on the Cinemassacre-train, Mike uploaded new video of the retail game. To be fair, he made the experience all the worse by mistakenly changing his main weapon to the laser, but the game seems heavily focused on grinding levels for parts & currency, with the questions being: how much of the single player upgrades can be taken into co-op, and will they implement real-currency micro-transactions.

I already hated the demo, and the final game doesn't appear significantly different or improved. Maybe the game will find a crowd, but I don't expect to be part of it.

KOMANI

KOMANI
To continue on the Cinemassacre-train, Mike uploaded new video of the retail game. To be fair, he made the experience all the worse by mistakenly changing his main weapon to the laser, but the game seems heavily focused on grinding levels for parts & currency, with the questions being: how much of the single player upgrades can be taken into co-op, and will they implement real-currency micro-transactions.

I already hated the demo, and the final game doesn't appear significantly different or improved. Maybe the game will find a crowd, but I don't expect to be part of it.

No microtransactions

Tesseract

Banned
so it sucks?

giphy.gif

so it sucks?

giphy.gif
You can experience the pain yourself....

Last edited:

Generic

Yea, that was a good video and i agree with pretty much every point they made. Honestly, it looks and plays like some shitty mobile game, at least going by the demo
The demo was really good and plays nothing like a mobile title, the mechanics are surprisingly advanced for a shoot 'em up.

Watching the Mike video it seems that he is trying to play by bulletspraying everything, which of course doesn't work due to the overheat mechanics. You are to supposed to intersect between weapons, use melee finishers and time the power-ups to maximize damage outputs. Also the best way to avoid being ganged up by enemies is jumping and dashing in the air.

Looking forward for this game.

Why didn't Konami just have Way Forward make a Contra 5?
Because Way Forward makes pretty visuals but they don't understand too much about game design.

What's bad about the controls btw? They work perfectly

Last edited:

Katsura

The demo was really good and plays nothing like a mobile title, the mechanics are surprisingly advanced for a shoot 'em up.

Watching the Mike video it seems that he is trying to play by bulletspraying everything, which of course doesn't work due to the overheat mechanics. You are to supposed to intersect between weapons, use melee finishers and time the power-ups to maximize damage outputs. Also the best way to avoid being ganged up by enemies is jumping and dashing in the air.

Looking forward for this game.

Because Way Forward makes pretty visuals but they don't understand too much about game design.

Yea, no. The demo was awful in every way, from the input lag to the shitty graphics. As for the video - have you ever played Contra? Bullet spraying is pretty much what you do a lot of the time. Introducing mechanics that prevents that indicates who ever designed this has no idea of what makes a Contra game. Melee finishers? Slowing down while shooting? What the fuck? And that base with weapon upgrades? This is not Contra except in name. It feels like a chinese mobile game except without timers and dual currencies

Like the dude on cinemassacre said; "I'm basically gonna get it because its official Contra". I'm surprised they haven't made a metal gear 1 remake like this.

Last edited:

Dazrael

Watching the Mike video it seems that he is trying to play by bulletspraying everything, which of course doesn't work due to the overheat mechanics.

Which is of course how Contra is supposed to work.

I appreciate your enthusiasm but all the negatives aimed at it are true, it’s a lazy cash in on the Contra name. Awful graphics, lacklustre controls, abysmal attempts at humour, the overheat mechanic doesn’t belong in a Contra game and is poorly implemented in a game that runs far too quickly for it.

Dead Nation is a much better game and that came out years ago.

Generic

Yea, no. The demo was awful in every way, from the input lag to the shitty graphics. As for the video - have you ever played Contra? Bullet spraying is pretty much what you do a lot of the time. Introducing mechanics that prevents that indicates who ever designed this has no idea of what makes a Contra game. Melee finishers? Slowing down while shooting? What the fuck? And that base with weapon upgrades? This is not Contra except in name. It feels like a chinese mobile game except without timers and dual currencies
I recall no input lag.

"Introducing mechanics that prevents that indicates who ever designed this has no idea of what makes a Contra game."

Except it's from the same director of Contra 3 and Hard Cops. Adding new mechanics is called evolving, some game designers enjoy experimenting and don't want to stay stuck in 1993. The things you mentioned were all done on purpose, they aren't design flaws.

Which is of course how Contra is supposed to work.

I appreciate your enthusiasm but all the negatives aimed at it are true, it’s a lazy cash in on the Contra name. Awful graphics, lacklustre controls, abysmal attempts at humour, the overheat mechanic doesn’t belong in a Contra game and is poorly implemented in a game that runs far too quickly for it.

Dead Nation is a much better game and that came out years ago.
Again, how are the controls bad? Humour and graphics aren't relevant.

If the director wanted to make a cash-in he could have done a remake or a 'remastered edition' instead.

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
I recall no input lag.

"Introducing mechanics that prevents that indicates who ever designed this has no idea of what makes a Contra game."

Except it's from the same director of Contra 3 and Hard Cops. Adding new mechanics is called evolving, some game designers enjoy experimenting and don't want to stay stuck in 1993. The things you mentioned were all done on purpose, they aren't design flaws.

If the director wanted to make a cash-in he could have done a remake or a 'remastered edition' instead.
There’s input lag in the demo. The “bad control” argument I don’t understand at all. It’s a dull demo/tutorial but the later part of the game looks very promising.

Wonko_C

Contra 4 by Wayforward is one of the best in the series, taking it back to its run 'n gun roots from Contra and Super C, instead of the boss rush and setpiece style from Contra III onwards. Its only sin was the screen gap. Despite that, the grappling hook mechanic was fun and added something new to spice up the classic formula just a bit.

Playing it emulated on a vertically oriented monitor is the way to go, if only there was a hack to remove the screen gap...

Last edited:

Katsura

I recall no input lag.

Things can be done on purpose while still ending up as flaws and while you may think of it as evolving that doesn't excuse how far removed this is from all the other Contra games in existence. Nintendo could release Mario Kart 9 as a 3rd person shooter and call it evolving. I doubt fans of MK would be happy with that though

As for the input lag - go play it again, because it's definitely there

If you enjoy this game, more power to you. I think it's nothing like a Contra game and if it's done by the same director as Contra 3 and HC i'd say he has lost touch with what made Contra great. It wouldn't be the first time someone is incapable of replicating previous great design

What really irks me though is that i see 1 of 2 scenarios happening here
1. The game is a success which will lead to a sequel that's not Contra either or
2. The game flops and they will ignore Contra for years to come

Last edited:

Dazrael

Again, how are the controls bad?

Well for starters the decision to map the right thumb stick to just aim and fire to a trigger. It’s needlessly complicated when all other games of this type combine aim and fire into the right thumb stick.

The speed of the character also seems to dip when strafing, why did they make it slower?

I’m all for games evolving however they still need to retain some semblance of what they were before. The grapple arm in Contra 4 is a good inclusion, it doesn’t get in the way of the frenetic pace of the game. Weapon cooldowns in a Contra game? Nah it just doesn’t feel right in my eyes.

I just scrolled through the new video Mike Matei posted and ya,this game is a complete mess.

Everything feels sluggish to me. Like others have said, the fact that simply pointing the right stick in a direction slows you down doesn't feel good at all. The lock on when you are shooting in a direction, especially if another enemy is on a higher or lower plane than you, is pretty bad as well. The movement itself also doesn't feel crisp. Maybe that's due to the slight input lag, the framerate, or a bit of both.

I also am not a fan of the cooldown system. It seems like it's there arbitrarily. It would make a little more sense to me if the enemy types were built around the different weapon effects, but it doesn't seem like it - it seems like a lazy design choice to me. It's like the devs were prototyping the game, had the general gameplay figured out, threw the enemies in there and thought, well how can we artificially make the gameplay seem deeper? i GOT IT! WEAPON COOLDOWNS WITH CHARACTER PROGRESSION!!!

It's unfortunate because I think this concept (a modern overhead twinstick Contra) could be pulled off really well, but from the demo it has nothing that was fun to me.

Katsura

I like how we’re now using Mike Matei as a credible source for what’s good and bad.
We're not though. There were 2 other guys in the demo video. We're also using our own experiences with said demo and now i guess we can add the IGN review to that list

Katsura

You can, but I’m talking about Mike specifically.
Yes but i'm just saying that i haven't seen anyone here using Mike as the ultimate judge of what's good or bad. We're just a bunch of people saying that demo is shit and the guys in that video nailed why it's shit

KOMANI

KOMANI
Yes but i'm just saying that i haven't seen anyone here using Mike as the ultimate judge of what's good or bad. We're just a bunch of people saying that demo is shit and the guys in that video nailed why it's shit
Mike Matei is mentioned a few times. I don’t care if the demo is shit, that’s not what we’re discussing here. I’m specifically speaking on giving anything Mike does any merit. The other guys at cinemassacre are fine by me.

Katsura

Mike Matei is mentioned a few times. I don’t care if the demo is shit, that’s not what we’re discussing here. I’m specifically speaking on giving anything Mike does any merit. The other guys at cinemassacre are fine by me.
I know what you're doing but i'm trying hard to steer it away from the implied ad hominem because it's fallacious. I don't care what you think about Mike. It's irrelevant to the topic of this thread

KOMANI

KOMANI
I know what you're doing but i'm trying hard to steer it away from the implied ad hominem because it's fallacious. I don't care what you think about Mike. It's irrelevant to the topic of this thread
Right.

Edit: I’m being as naked as possible, so this ,”I know what you’re doing”, is all in your head. I don’t like Mike and I don’t see any reason why his name should ever be brought up when we’re talking about reviews.
Maybe you’re defending those that think the demo/game is shit. Is that what’s happening? Cause I don’t care about how you feel. I wouldn’t challenge you on what you like and don’t. Or is it something else? What is it about me not thinking Mike is relevant when discussing the quality of a video game?

Last edited:

Katsura

Right.

Edit: I’m being as naked as possible, so this ,”I know what you’re doing”, is all in your head. I don’t like Mike and I don’t see any reason why his name should ever be brought up when we’re talking about reviews.
Maybe you’re defending those that think the demo/game is shit. Is that what’s happening? Cause I don’t care about how you feel. I wouldn’t challenge you on what you like and don’t. Or is it something else? What is it about me not thinking Mike is relevant when discussing the quality of a video game?
The 'I know what you're doing' was referring to the implied ad hominem. That is, it was clear you dislike Mike so somehow that invalidates the points made in his videos. This is flawed logic. The points made should be judged on their own merit, not on who made them. Besides, no one is this thread, that i'm aware of, has said anything similar to 'Mike said it sucks which means it sucks'. He made some points some of us agree with. That's the extend of his influence on this thread

I'm not defending other people here and i agree that challenging people's taste is stupid. It is, after all, highly subjective. If you enjoy this game, i'm genuinely happy for you. That doesn't mean i can't be disappointed in the game though

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
The 'I know what you're doing' was referring to the implied ad hominem. That is, it was clear you dislike Mike so somehow that invalidates the points made in his videos. This is flawed logic. The points made should be judged on their own merit, not on who made them. Besides, no one is this thread, that i'm aware of, has said anything similar to 'Mike said it sucks which means it sucks'. He made some points some of us agree with. That's the extend of his influence on this thread

I'm not defending other people here and i agree that challenging people's taste is stupid. It is, after all, highly subjective. If you enjoy this game, i'm genuinely happy for you. That doesn't mean i can't be disappointed in the game though
I agree 100% with everything you said. I don’t respect Mike’s opinions. If my comment came off like, “if you shared any of Mike’s critiques then you are wrong”, let me apologize. That’s on me and my poorly constructed thought.

Last edited:

Katsura

I agree 100% with everything you said. I don’t respect Mike’s opinions. If my comment came off like, “if you shared any of Mike’s critiques then you are wrong”, let me apologize. That’s on me and my poorly constructed thought.
No need to apologize at all. Don't underestimate my occasional lack of reading comprehension either. It's all good

Generic

It's Castlevania LoS2 all over again, what a shame.

Contra 4 by Wayforward is one of the best in the series, taking it back to its run 'n gun roots from Contra and Super C, instead of the boss rush and setpiece style from Contra III onwards. Its only sin was the screen gap. Despite that, the grappling hook mechanic was fun and added something new to spice up the classic formula just a bit.

Playing it emulated on a vertically oriented monitor is the way to go, if only there was a hack to remove the screen gap...
The screen grap is exactly the biggest problem with Contra 4, because part of the action happens off-screen. This is terrible in a game where you need to constantly avoid projectiles. But it's a Wayforward game so clever design isn't something to be expected.

Things can be done on purpose while still ending up as flaws and while you may think of it as evolving that doesn't excuse how far removed this is from all the other Contra games in existence. Nintendo could release Mario Kart 9 as a 3rd person shooter and call it evolving. I doubt fans of MK would be happy with that though
Not an argument. A game shouldn't be limited by an arbitrary "this isn't how it's supposed to be" logic, this is a spit on the face of game design. Fans didn't like it? Whatever, the game still exists on its own plane. Also, your comparison with Mario Kart is a false equivalent because Rogue Corps is still a shooter. A more fair comparison would be with the new God of War, which still is a hack 'n slash despite being different from the previous games. And there are more extreme examples like Resident Evil 4 and Yakuza 7.

As for the input lag - go play it again, because it's definitely there
I did and there's zero input lag. Are you talking about not being able to do insta 180° turns?

If you enjoy this game, more power to you. I think it's nothing like a Contra game and if it's done by the same director as Contra 3 and HC i'd say he has lost touch with what made Contra great. It wouldn't be the first time someone is incapable of replicating previous great design
It also wouldn't be the first time a game is misjudged based on preconceptions and nostalgia.

What really irks me though is that i see 1 of 2 scenarios happening here
1. The game is a success which will lead to a sequel that's not Contra either or
2. The game flops and they will ignore Contra for years to come
Second scenario will happen and gamers will complain that Konami doesn't care about Contra anymore, just like it happened with Castlevania after the Lords of Shadow 2 flop (which of course was trashed for not being a "real Castlevania" despite being good). This is why we can't have nice things.

Well for starters the decision to map the right thumb stick to just aim and fire to a trigger. It’s needlessly complicated when all other games of this type combine aim and fire into the right thumb stick.
Complicated? This is a basic control scheme in hundred of games.

The speed of the character also seems to dip when strafing, why did they make it slower?
Character positioning, the game does have a dodge button.

I’m all for games evolving however they still need to retain some semblance of what they were before. The grapple arm in Contra 4 is a good inclusion, it doesn’t get in the way of the frenetic pace of the game. Weapon cooldowns in a Contra game? Nah it just doesn’t feel right in my eyes.
Weapon cooldown doesn't alter the pace of the game. You still can shoot enemies with no mercy, the difference is that you need to properly time your weapons instead of just holding a button.

I just scrolled through the new video Mike Matei posted and ya,this game is a complete mess.
I scrolled through his video and he was playing the game like a generic shooter, expecting the same results, failing all the time and then complaining about "not muh Contra!!!1". So basically blaming the game because he has no interest in learning its system.

Everything feels sluggish to me. Like others have said, the fact that simply pointing the right stick in a direction slows you down doesn't feel good at all. The lock on when you are shooting in a direction, especially if another enemy is on a higher or lower plane than you, is pretty bad as well. The movement itself also doesn't feel crisp. Maybe that's due to the slight input lag, the framerate, or a bit of both.
Jump to target enemies in higher planes.

I also am not a fan of the cooldown system. It seems like it's there arbitrarily. It would make a little more sense to me if the enemy types were built around the different weapon effects, but it doesn't seem like it - it seems like a lazy design choice to me. It's like the devs were prototyping the game, had the general gameplay figured out, threw the enemies in there and thought, well how can we artificially make the gameplay seem deeper? i GOT IT! WEAPON COOLDOWNS WITH CHARACTER PROGRESSION!!!
Nah, it works very well and you can pull off combos with the weapons (throw a missile while you shoot with the machine gun to maximize damage). It's fun, rewarding and I imagine it will be even better and more complex with 4 players.

This game is VERY japanese, in a good way. It reminds me of Treasure titles - it's all about experimenting and mastering its quirky mechanics.

Katsura

It's Castlevania LoS2 all over again, what a shame.

The screen grap is exactly the biggest problem with Contra 4, because part of the action happens off-screen. This is terrible in a game where you need to constantly avoid projectiles. But it's a Wayforward game so clever design isn't something to be expected.

Not an argument. A game shouldn't be limited by an arbitrary "this isn't how it's supposed to be" logic, this is a spit on the face of game design. Fans didn't like it? Whatever, the game still exists on its own plane. Also, your comparison with Mario Kart is a false equivalent because Rogue Corps is still a shooter. A more fair comparison would be with the new God of War, which still is a hack 'n slash despite being different from the previous games. And there are more extreme examples like Resident Evil 4 and Yakuza 7.

I did and there's zero input lag. Are you talking about not being able to do insta 180° turns?

It also wouldn't be the first time a game is misjudged based on preconceptions and nostalgia.

Second scenario will happen and gamers will complain that Konami doesn't care about Contra anymore, just like it happened with Castlevania after the Lords of Shadow 2 flop (which of course was trashed for not being a "real Castlevania" despite being good). This is why we can't have nice things.

Complicated? This is a basic control scheme in hundred of games.

Character positioning, the game does have a dodge button.

Weapon cooldown doesn't alter the pace of the game. You still can shoot enemies with no mercy, the difference is that you need to properly time your weapons instead of just holding a button.

I scrolled through his video and he was playing the game like a generic shooter, expecting the same results, failing all the time and then complaining about "not muh Contra!!!1". So basically blaming the game because he has no interest in learning its system.

Jump to target enemies in higher planes.

Nah, it works very well and you can pull off combos with the weapons (throw a missile while you shoot with the machine gun to maximize damage). It's fun, rewarding and I imagine it will be even better and more complex with 4 players.

This game is VERY japanese, in a good way. It reminds me of Treasure titles - it's all about experimenting and mastering its quirky mechanics.
Aha, so we're just playing it wrong then?

If the majority of the demographics for a game hates the new mechanics it's fair to say the designer missed the mark. You might love those mechanics and changes but it's starting to seem like most people do not. So it looks like a flop which means no more Contra for years to come. You will blame everyone who hates this new direction. I will blame the designer for losing touch with what makes a Contra game. We will never agree but at least you got a game you like out of it

Gargus

Banned
Rogue corps is coming to other systems as well.

And if you buy a cross platform game on the switch then you're doing gaming wrong.

Animagic

Banned
Alienation did Rogue Corps better, back in 2016. If only people bought Housemarque's games they wouldn't be doomed to die over a battle royale game no one has heard of.

I’ve never heard of this game. Contra Rogue Corps looks like a bad imitation of this, right down to the exploding barrel indicators

Cravis

This looks wack, but it does remind me that I wanted to play some Shattered Soldier at least.
Shattered Soldier is amazing. I had the patterns down to a science at one point. I tried playing it recently and it kicked my ass.

I have come to terms with this new Contra game. I don’t like the direction but at least we have Blazing Chrome. That game is Contra in everything but name.

Last edited:

Dazrael

Eh? It doesn’t resemble anything that Treasure would make. Treasure made their own version of Contra called Gunstar Heroes and it was great.

Housemarque make the closest kind of experience to it but there it’s so much better. Rogue Corps in comparison just seems jumbled together in a haphazard fashion.

It’s awesome if you found a game you like, I’m glad you did but unfortunately others don’t seem to share your view. Surely for so many people, and review outlets, to find fault means that something isn’t quite right. But we all have our own viewpoint, one man’s rubbish is another man’s treasure and all that. I hope you enjoy the game.

It reminds me too much of Alien Shooter. I think it was a poor choice of game design to make it this way. It takes away from the Contra feeling. I hate it when game developers go this route. They take a lot away from the franchise when they take risks like this. I definitely don't want to own it. I have cherry picked Contra game(s) my whole life. Contra III being the one I played the most and owned. Its a shame. I also had Gunstar Heroes on Genesis from a free-game mail offer.

Found this:
33h3kl.jpg

Last edited:

I'm still holding out for Valve to make a portable L4D2 on the system for lulz!

Katsura

I’ve never heard of this game. Contra Rogue Corps looks like a bad imitation of this, right down to the exploding barrel indicators
Alienation is a fantastic game. If you like twin stick shooters, this is a must play. Shame on Sony for not doing more with the IP

Top Bottom