• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cooking GAF: OT

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Maiden Voyage Maiden Voyage only if you bring dessert 😍

I've got just the recipe!
iu

It's been a while.

Upvote Soup
agAfy8f.jpg

Dot's Honey Mustard Pretzel Crusted, Pickle Marinated Fried Chicken with Garlic Aioli and Handmade Fries and Pasta Salad
nUNqq2w.jpg

Charcuterie
DZokbqc.jpg

Sweet Charcuterie
pJAbKI2.jpg

Tacos
YJZzVn8.jpg

Macaroni and Cheese with White Cheddar, Parmasan, Mushrooms, Green Onion, and Black Garlic Truffle Seasoning and a bag salad
ikYKDEX.jpg

Cranberry Chutney
yG1ecHH.jpg

WwiDLeO.jpg

Pasta with a Lemony Whine Cream Sauce, Capers, and Panko Fried Chicken
nlo6vfX.jpg

Handmade Pizza with Arugula, Mushrooms, Pineapple, Pepperoni, Red Pepper, Red Onion, Mild Peppers, Smoked Gouda, Fresh Grated Mozzarella. Dough is made the way I learned how to make it in Florance Italy with live yeast, crust was later Garlic Buttered with Salt, Pepper and Parmasan.
eMWFEUq.jpg

Italian Seasoned Pan-Fried Chicken, with Pureed Potatoes, Balsamic Blueberry Reduction, Gravy from the remnants of panfrying the chicken, Fried Potatoe Strings, Radish Microgreens. I'm trying to get fancy, but my plating sucks.
SdN3bWg.jpg

Last edited:
made some pot roast like 2 weeks ago. came out a little on the dry side because I forgot to adjust the cooking time due to the roast I bought were smaller in size. the taste was decent thou

also made some octopus pasta the other day. first time I tried making it and it came out much better than I expected.

got the recipe from this YouTube

That pot roast looks good. I'd plow through that in a day. For me I dont mind eat medium to well done. All someone has to do is dunk those slabs in the sauce anyway!

MrMephistoX

Chicken Marsala w Linguini, Pork Dan Dan Noodles, and Steak Diane w Roasted Garlic Mash…not all in the same week or I’d weigh 59 more lbs lol. All recipes from TikTok which is fast becoming my favorite recipe source.

4UOlOZy.jpg
FGFfipS.jpg
Wbd9I9J.jpg

Kinda overdid the gravy on the Diane but trust me it was delish w beef tenderloin underneath :)

Last edited:
I forgot to take a pic, but it wouldnt be noteworthy anyway.

But been under the weather lately and needed something hot and filling.

Grilled up some bacon wrapped sausages, made a can of Bush beans, and then cut up the sausages into the pot and cooked it together for 5 minutes. Two sausages was perfect.

It was pure slumming. But probably the best tasting meal I had in 3 days as my taste buds have been muted while sick.

81jSxkIyr+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
12714db5-e5b2-499a-ab42-45d91053413a.d701027eaabff1fb4849d4da2c014331.jpeg

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Home alone last night, I decided to cook all of my mushrooms in oil and seasoning with spring onions, then splashed in some marinade a friend gave me (I can't remember what he put in it aside from like salt and I think lime juice).

0Kxb5w7.jpg

I ended up putting them over some white rice. Was pretty good, but I was hungry an hour later.

Home alone last night, I decided to cook all of my mushrooms in oil and seasoning with spring onions, then splashed in some marinade a friend gave me (I can't remember what he put in it aside from like salt and I think lime juice).

I ended up putting them over some white rice. Was pretty good, but I was hungry an hour later.

Looks great mate!

MrMephistoX

If you love making Pizza get one of these…

I was shocked at how much of a difference a pizza steel makes. I literally spent years thinking I wasn’t making the dough well enough but it turns out my oven and stone just sucked!

0KHPL16.jpg

Thaedolus

I was shocked at how much of a difference a pizza steel makes. I literally spent years thinking I wasn’t making the dough well enough but it turns out my oven and stone just sucked!

0KHPL16.jpg
Sheeeeit I might need one of these. I preheat a stone @500 for at least an hour and I swear it’s still not hot enough. Especially when doing 4+ pizzas at a time

Fbh

Anyone got a recommendation for a good basic grill thermometer? (that's not $100)

I've seen THIS ONE recommended on a few sites but I don't know if it's good. I don't need anything fancy, just for it to be reasonably accurate.

MrMephistoX

Sheeeeit I might need one of these. I preheat a stone @500 for at least an hour and I swear it’s still not hot enough. Especially when doing 4+ pizzas at a time
It’s life alteringly better than a stone I was shocked it literally cooks like an actual pizza oven. You do have to blast it for at least 45 minutes at 550 to get the full effect though but depending on the thickness of your crust you can fully cook it in 5-10 minutes.

This was home made but I did one from Trader Joe’s last week able it came out like this.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

It’s life alteringly better than a stone I was shocked it literally cooks like an actual pizza oven. You do have to blast it for at least 45 minutes at 550 to get the full effect though but depending on the thickness of your crust you can fully cook it in 5-10 minutes.

This was home made but I did one from Trader Joe’s last week able it came out like this.
That doesn't make your house feel like a furnace?
Wow... :messenger_open_mouth:

0KHPL16.jpg
That looks good. Fluffy and doughy looking. Just how I like it.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Anyone got a recommendation for a good basic grill thermometer? (that's not $100)

I've seen THIS ONE recommended on a few sites but I don't know if it's good. I don't need anything fancy, just for it to be reasonably accurate.
This is the one I use for grilling and general cooking. No complaints.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

I use this one. It lets you take the temp with you and you can set alarms based on what you are cooking

BossLackey

My biggest struggle with cooking has always been juggling multiple dishes at once, but I've been doing better in that regard recently with timing things so they all come out at around the same.

For Valentine's, I made my wife and I roasted herb potatoes, parmesan crusted asparagus, brown butter lemon salmon (for her) and a reverse seared NY strip (for me). It was somewhat difficult, but very satisfying.

AJUMP23

My biggest struggle with cooking has always been juggling multiple dishes at once, but I've been doing better in that regard recently with timing things so they all come out at around the same.

For Valentine's, I made my wife and I roasted herb potatoes, parmesan crusted asparagus, brown butter lemon salmon (for her) and a reverse seared NY strip (for me). It was somewhat difficult, but very satisfying.
IF you are not using the oven, it can work wonders at a low temp to keep a dish warm. Just set it at 150 or something and keep your food warm.

Raven117

This is just something you get better at. (That and you just May have to recruit your wife into helping you.)

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

You could cut your teeth a little more preparing single pot meals. Many are quite good, too.

BossLackey

IF you are not using the oven, it can work wonders at a low temp to keep a dish warm. Just set it at 150 or something and keep your food warm.

Yeah, I always employ the oven for this exact thing. Even when I don't need it, I still put the dishes I'm going to use to serve warm food in the oven at lowest temp. Nothing cools food faster than a cold dish out of the cabinet. Something I think a lot of home cooks overlook.

MrMephistoX

Yeah, I always employ the oven for this exact thing. Even when I don't need it, I still put the dishes I'm going to use to serve warm food in the oven at lowest temp. Nothing cools food faster than a cold dish out of the cabinet. Something I think a lot of home cooks overlook.
Also important for espresso or Keurig I always put hot water into my cups before drinking coffee how since I have a hot water dispenser but if I didn’t I’d probably use the oven trick.

Hell yeah, my mum always did this when we were growing up and still does it for family events. When you spend hours preparing a meal with sides or entrees or lots of guests/friends it pays to warm the serving things. We do it at home for special effort dinners or timing lots of dishes together. Same goes for kids sports after school hours, having things they can just grab and them being warm'n'ready to go is a game changer. Kids learnt how to be around ovens and cook tops pretty quickly.

Also important for espresso or Keurig I always put hot water into my cups before drinking coffee how since I have a hot water dispenser but if I didn’t I’d probably use the oven trick.

The opposite is true as well, splash of water swirled in a glass then poured out and placed in your freezer makes a cold drink even better. It's great when you run out of drinks in the fridge because even an off the shelf drink will chill enough in seconds to be more enjoyable.

A couple slum meals that hit the spot. I buy Stagg chili and Chunky soup here and there. Cant go wrong when these are $2.

1. After you heat it up, pour it on top of 1/3rd of a bowl of kettle chips

or

2. I had some leftover steak. The piece I made was way too big so I had around 1/4 of a steak as leftovers. The next day I cut it up into small pieces grilled it up in the pot and then poured in the chili or soup to cook it all up. Such an awesome difference

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Pack of "Hidden Valley Ranch" powder. Instead of mixing it with a cup of mayo per instructions, use unflavored Greek yogurt instead. It tastes like a mix of ranch and tzatziki sauce, and is much healthier.

Apologies to the un-Americans - you see "ranch" dressing is an American invention we use to make even our salads fatty.

Top Bottom