• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cooking GAF: OT

I find zucchini one of those vegetables that can be a pain to cook too. It has that tight threshold where you can go from cooked and firm, to overcooked and soggy as fuck.

Totally agree.

Chopped up chilies is one thing I'm a sissy. I'm not into super hot food, and the times I tossed in some hot peppers I screwed it up cooking it in too long so the entree became a flamethrower. LOL. For me, I take the wimp way out and prefer hot sauce on the side as a dip and use cheap mainstream stuff like Frank's or Valentina's.

Depends on the type of chilli, I'm not dropping a ghost pepper in there. We get these ones and they vary from mild to some spice on your lips and tongue but they're rarely overpowering. Then again we like spicy food in our house. Good for personal tastes to have it on the side. Chopped chillies we usually put em in a bowl and whomever wants it adds it at the table themselves.

As dumb as it sounds, when I do Chinese take out and get sauce packets, sometimes the hot sauce packets are good. And I stock up on them along with packets of duck sauce which are way better than plum sauce. lol

Not dumb, we have a box in our pantry for all those sorts of consumable packets. Bloody brilliant for camping or weekends away etc. We always ask for extra when getting take away and then store the extra. My daughter and wife are on point there, they take pride in that game, classic.

GeekyDad

Chicken sammy

Z0szG9L.jpg

The onions were great, but my yogurt tenderizing technique doesn't seem to be working anymore. Was meh...might have to go back to hammering on it. The first couple of times, the yogurt seemed to work great. :(

Chronicle

Some pan fried brook trout I caught. They were delicious. Paired with potato salad and a garden salad. Did
sMFDzvO.jpg
KERt22R.jpg

Did them in a cast iron pa outside on the grill. Sometimes fish can leave an odour in the house for a day. The weather was great. My beer was cold. Patio cooking it was.

Stir fry time. :p

Cook onion pieces, sliced peppers, root ginger, and baby button mushrooms in a bit of sunflower oil. Once browned, remove from the hot ring.

Boil white rice in a pan. Add some frozen peas and sweetcorn. Then drain the boiling water. Mix with the rest of it and return to the heat.

Add parsley and soy sauce if desired.

About to make some home made tortellini tonight with premade pesto. Still waiting for my marble mortar with wooden pestle to make the real shit. My wife and I went to Italy for our honeymoon and leaned how to make the 3 P’s of Italy all in different locations, Pizza (Florance), Pesto (Manarola), and Pasta (Rome). We have the 00 flour we need and can’t wait to start making the good shit.

AJUMP23

I'm about to do a boneless rib-eye.

Any tips?

Sure, How do you want it, Rare, Medium Rare? Any more than that you kill the taste. Salt and pepper prior to cooking. That is really all the spice you need. I use a coarse salt.

If you want Rare I recommend no more than 5 minutes on each side. But really you want to turn based on color and feel. Let the fat caramelize, slight browning. After completing the cook, let the steak sit for a minimum of 5 minutes.

Raven117

I'm about to do a boneless rib-eye.

Any tips?
Salt before hand. (Let it rest in your fridge for as long as you can).

Get your skillet screaming hot with just a bit of neutral oil (can use butter at the end if you are comfortable browning butter) once the pan has come up to temp. The oil should be shimmering...maybe ever so slightly smoking. If its a thicker cut of steak (over 1 inch), preheat an oven to 400.

Crack fresh black pepper on the steak.

Drop in skillet. Don't try and mess with it TOO much, but you are looking for that sear. That Mallard Reaction. Let the pan do its work. I don't know how thick your steak is. But 3 minutes or so is about right.

Flip it. Wait about 2-3 min. (if you have a fat cap on there, use your tongs and hold that fat against the pan (ie, stand the steak on its edge and get that fat to render for a about two minutes). (Again, all depends on the thickness of your steak) At this point, drop about two tablespoons of butter in the pan, a crushed garlic clove, and some rosemary. Tilt the pan where the butter and oil will pool. Spoon over the top of your steak constantly.

(At some point, if its a thick boy, you may have to throw it in that preheat over to finish cooking the inside and not burn). Sounds like you probably wont have to do the over step.

Just...for heaven's sakes don't take it past medium.

Let it rest for about 5 minutes.

Cut (against grain), Salt. Serve.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Can't really take credit for cooking much, outside of the basmati, but damn, this is one combination that is ridiculously addictive.

CLxzZ7l.jpg

Basmati rice, Wild Planet smoked sardines in extra virgin olive oil and lemon, with kimchi. Break up the sardines, give it all a toss, and oy ya mama mia!

JCK75

I finally got into my new apartment, so I got to cook for my girlfriend for the first time.
For dinner I made Prime Rib, sauteed mushroom, sauteed asparagus, parm crusted red potatoes and an amaretto strawberry cheesecake parfait for dessert.
Breakfast Chili Crisp fried eggs on rice..
and then for lunch I tried something totally new.. Birria tacos.
I don't think I put in enough water when making the soup for it so the fat didn't settle on the top (supposed to gather it and use it to fry the tacos shells in..
so I had to settle for just plain oil.. but they came out amazing.

eooG5hj.jpg

German Hops

Salt before hand. (Let it rest in your fridge for as long as you can).

Get your skillet screaming hot with just a bit of neutral oil (can use butter at the end if you are comfortable browning butter) once the pan has come up to temp. The oil should be shimmering...maybe ever so slightly smoking. If its a thicker cut of steak (over 1 inch), preheat an oven to 400.

Crack fresh black pepper on the steak.

Drop in skillet. Don't try and mess with it TOO much, but you are looking for that sear. That Mallard Reaction. Let the pan do its work. I don't know how thick your steak is. But 3 minutes or so is about right.

Flip it. Wait about 2-3 min. (if you have a fat cap on there, use your tongs and hold that fat against the pan (ie, stand the steak on its edge and get that fat to render for a about two minutes). (Again, all depends on the thickness of your steak) At this point, drop about two tablespoons of butter in the pan, a crushed garlic clove, and some rosemary. Tilt the pan where the butter and oil will pool. Spoon over the top of your steak constantly.

(At some point, if its a thick boy, you may have to throw it in that preheat over to finish cooking the inside and not burn). Sounds like you probably wont have to do the over step.

Just...for heaven's sakes don't take it past medium.

Let it rest for about 5 minutes.

Cut (against grain), Salt. Serve.
Awesome stuff, man. Thanks.

I'm not a fan of rosemary, though, so I'll swap that out with fresh thyme.

Last edited:

Raven117

Awesome stuff, man. Thanks.

I'm not a fan of rosemary, though, so I'll swap that out with fresh thyme.
Also, you can kinda see how you are doing by looking at the edge of the steak...While it is searing, you can see it start to get more gray(ish). Again, depending on the size of your steak, about 1/8th of an inch of gray to then flip is a decent enough guide.

If you have a thermometer, you are looking for about 127(ish), to pull. You will have carry over cooking to about 135. That's a nice medium rare.

(And if you just aren't sure, ever so slightly cut into the top of it to see if its too pink...yes, this is sacrilage among super duper steak people, but doing that and losing a bit of juice is better than either (a) eating a raw steak, or worse (b) eating an overcooked steak.

And tell us how it turns out!

Last edited:

German Hops

Sure, How do you want it, Rare, Medium Rare? Any more than that you kill the taste. Salt and pepper prior to cooking. That is really all the spice you need. I use a coarse salt.

If you want Rare I recommend no more than 5 minutes on each side. But really you want to turn based on color and feel. Let the fat caramelize, slight browning. After completing the cook, let the steak sit for a minimum of 5 minutes.
oh crap, I missed your post. Thanks for the response.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
How did you make that? Homemade pastry shells? Or premade from the grocery store and you stuff it with filling?
Really easy, I used the pre made rolled sheets of puff pastry, cut out two rectanagles, paint mixed egg on the edges as the glue, fill with my sausage, bean + cheese mix, place 2nd rectangle, paint with egg mix and then do my pattern, cooked in fan asissted oven @180°c for 20mins.

Oven roasted dark meat chicken with salt, pepper, lemongrass and Clubhouse chicken spice. Then dunked in Korean watery BBQ sauce a few times throughout cooking.

Tomatoes, cucumber, sour cream, Valentina hot sauce. Microwaved some basic soft tortilla shells (just the cheap store brand stuff like 10 for $3).
IZTClWA.jpg
TESo32T.jpg

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

Been a while Cooking GAF! I decided to try out Marley Spoon: I feel dirty giving a dime to Martha Stewart but so far it’s got the best variety and highest quality of any meal kit I’ve tried. Blue Apron and Hello Fresh got extremely repetitive for me and the ingredients took a dive in quality.

P6aNye4.jpg
tizWmPS.jpg

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Made some oat bread the other day. Found the recipe on Youtube. Changed a few things around, and was surprised that it was still delicious.

OtOZ13E.jpg

Recipe:

• 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
  • 2/3 cup hot water (mixed in with oats to moisten for about 10 minutes
  • 1/2 cup yogurt
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tbsp olive oil (was sunflower oil in her recipe)
  • 2 ripe bananas (originally artificial sweetener)
  • dried fruit (I used raisins and dried apricots)
  • 1/2 cup chickpea flour (originally almond flour)
  • pinch of salt
  • walnuts
  • 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
Baked at 360 degrees for about 40-45 minutes

Last edited:
Anyone own or used a Scanpan? I need a new pan and was thinking about going high end.

Honestly I've had them and a few others but bang for your buck Ikea pots, pans and utensils are built bloody well and perform well too. They're not the most stylish thing ever but they've got good to great quality and fair price.

The Ikea oven roasting stainless-steel tray is a thing of pure ease to clean, every time.

Last edited:
Honestly I've had them and a few others but bang for your buck Ikea pots, pans and utensils are built bloody well and perform well too. They're not the most stylish thing ever but they've got good to great quality and fair price.

The Ikea oven roasting stainless-steel tray is a thing of pure ease to clean, every time.
I'm no expert cook, but I;ve been buying new kitchen gear over the years that trend to The Rock or anything that looks like this kind of material. I bought a big oven tray from Costco that was similar material. I think its the same brand.

I find these kind of cooking pots and pans excellent. They cook well, sturdy, non-stick and get them on sale for dirt cheap. This kind of shit from Canadian Tire. Even if they fail, who cares. All this stuff can be found on deal for $20-30.

aJNhfpG.jpg

I'm no expert cook, but I;ve been buying new kitchen gear over the years that trend to The Rock or anything that looks like this kind of material. I bought a big oven tray from Costco that was similar material. I think its the same brand.

I find these kind of cooking pots and pans excellent. They cook well, sturdy, non-stick and get them on sale for dirt cheap. This kind of shit from Canadian Tire. Even if they fail, who cares. All this stuff can be found on deal for $20-30.

aJNhfpG.jpg

As they get old/worn they're great for camping etc.

This is the IKEA one I was talking about, just FYI, $25, what a steal for that quality -

Last edited:

JBat

Anyone own or used a Scanpan? I need a new pan and was thinking about going high end.
Haven't used Scanpan but I've been pleased with my T-Fal non stick pans. Also like my Calphalon Stainless Steel. But my favorites are my Lodge cast iron frying pan and dutch oven

As they get old/worn they're great for camping etc.

This is the IKEA one I was talking about, just FYI, $25, what a steal for that quality
I havent bought anything from Ikea in a long time (out of the way compared to where I live and when I buy stuff I'm a traditional shopper wanting to check it out in person). But another good reason to pick Ikea is they got 1 year return policies.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Haven't used Scanpan but I've been pleased with my T-Fal non stick pans. Also like my Calphalon Stainless Steel. But my favorites are my Lodge cast iron frying pan and dutch oven

I had a T-Fal before, and the one I am replacing is a Calphalon. I agree, great products. But I guess I am hard on them, ended up scratching my Calphalon all up. If I go with something more expensive I intend to be far more careful and use less abrasive utensils.

JBat

I had a T-Fal before, and the one I am replacing is a Calphalon. I agree, great products. But I guess I am hard on them, ended up scratching my Calphalon all up. If I go with something more expensive I intend to be far more careful and use less abrasive utensils.
Dang! What kind of utensils do you use? I generally use wood and silicon tipped tongs and haven't had a problem

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Dang! What kind of utensils do you use? I generally use wood and silicon tipped tongs and haven't had a problem

Same, but sometimes I try to get fancy like Thomas Keller or something and use a metal spoon in a pinch, or just the nearest fork. I know, I'm an idiot.

Edit: oh yea, my woman also forgot to clean some clams before she put them in there once for something she was making, those did some damage too (those little chucks of rock and sand)

Last edited:

JBat

Same, but sometimes I try to get fancy like Thomas Keller or something and use a metal spoon in a pinch, or just the nearest fork. I know, I'm an idiot.

Edit: oh yea, my woman also forgot to clean some clams before she put them in there once for something she was making, those did some damage too (those little chucks of rock and sand)
I feel that lol. I do all the cooking but once in a while my wife "helps" and does the dishes. Inevitably a metal something ends up resting or soaking in a nonstick pan and I have a mild panic attack

GeekyDad

I moved away from non-stick pans and haven't looked back. Stainless steel and cast iron do the job without issue. No chemical breakdowns to worry about.
Ugh...I've tried, and for most foods, they're fine. But man, I can't fry good eggs (either scrambled or over-easy) with either of those types of pans. I know there are still health concerns with non-stick pans, but I just can't seem to get around them yet.

Top Bottom