• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Unai

The abyss is after
a fog door in New Londo Ruins
. You probably didn't explore everything there. It can be hard, so some people prefer to do it last just before the final boss since there's no big reward for doing it sooner.

Those four legged skeletons are the true assholes of dark souls 1.

f6ZY5Mo.gif

Edit: I love reading / watching people playing Dark Souls 1 blind for the first time.

Progress Report: I still haven't placed the Lordvessel, is this required for accessing the DLC?
Yes because an item needed to enter the DLC is behind one of the orange fog walls that the Lord Vessel removes when you place it.

Re: Moonlight Butterfly and Pinwheel. These bosses aren't quite the pushover if you face them earlier - either could be the first boss you face (except the Asylum Demon obv)

The abyss is after
a fog door in New Londo Ruins
. You probably didn't explore everything there. It can be hard, so some people prefer to do it last just before the final boss since there's no big reward for doing it sooner.
Darkwraith covenant tho?

Bladelaw

Ok I'll place the Lordvessel and see if I can find the Abyss. Is it worth +5'ing the Shadow Garb? The stat boost looks decent on paper given it's pretty much all I wear making it just that much better seems like a good thing.

So my plan for when I can get back to the game:
1) Place the lordvessel
2) find and clear the abyss
3) Orange gates
4) DLC

At some point I'm hoping I can farm up Demon Titanite. I want to max out the Greatsword of Artorias. It's the first non katana weapon I really like.

Unai

Ok I'll place the Lordvessel and see if I can find the Abyss. Is it worth +5'ing the Shadow Garb? The stat boost looks decent on paper given it's pretty much all I wear making it just that much better seems like a good thing.

So my plan for when I can get back to the game:
1) Place the lordvessel
2) find and clear the abyss
3) Orange gates
4) DLC

At some point I'm hoping I can farm up Demon Titanite. I want to max out the Greatsword of Artorias. It's the first non katana weapon I really like.

Yeah, there's a place latter that you can farm it.

Not worth upgrading the armor

One thing that will really help you with those skeletons is poise. That shadow garb has none if I'm not mistaken.

If you're using pyro it would easier just lob a fire orb at them. Pretty sure it should one shot them with a +5 Ascended + Bellowing Crest Ring + Dusk Crown, probably less than that actually. I never go toe to toe with those things, too chicken!

Bladelaw

If you're using pyro it would easier just lob a fire orb at them. Pretty sure it should one shot them with a +5 Ascended + Bellowing Crest Ring + Dusk Crown, probably less than that actually. I never go toe to toe with those things, too chicken!

That's something I didn't consider. I pumped up Pyro specifically for flash sweat to run through the lava to get the chaos ember. I have most pyromancies (not the one from the merchant in blighttown) and I haven't ascended my pyro glove yet. Where can I do that? Iron Flesh has worked really well but when I run out of uses it's a crapshoot if I'll survive the next encounter.

I don't bother upgrading armor at all, since I use Gold Hemmed Black Set 99% of the time and that cant be upgraded anyway :V
I used that till I found the Shadow set. Looking like a ninja > looking like the reaper. especially with a long bow and Katana.

Bladelaw

Ok so lots of farming done, purchased everything from everyone at Firelink, upgraded the Pyro flame to max ascended, reached Rank 2 in the Chaos Servant Covenant, Killed Nito and the Four Kings. Also found the Great Hollow and the Ash Lake. I'm planning on the Archives next unless there's a compelling reason for me to go to the Demon's Ruins gate. In any case that will have to wait for tomorrow.

Bladelaw

All bosses defeated. It's the first time I've stayed up all night playing a game since I had kids. Thanks for the help everyone. Final stats 20 Vit, 26 END, 24 STR, 40 DEX, 20 INT, 20 FTH.
I cheesed Artorias with Havels armor and a maxed out Iron Skin. I couldn't move but I could attack, and he couldn't hurt me so it worked out. I made good on the the final fight though
parried him to death
. Manus wasn't too bad, just don't get hit with his death combo.

What are the best PVE DEX weapons? It's my first time playing the game as a melee character and I have been doing well so far. I've just rang the second bell, and I'll be journeying into Sen's Fortress.

Stevey

What are the best PVE DEX weapons? It's my first time playing the game as a melee character and I have been doing well so far. I've just rang the second bell, and I'll be journeying into Sen's Fortress.

Depends what moveset you like, also make sure it has decent stat scaling.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Great scythe, iaito, uchi

Edit: he can get all of these items if he's at Sen's Fortress. The Great Scythe can technically be obtained very early on, though it's difficult and unlikely, but if he's at Sen's he should be OK in the
Catacombs

I got both Uchigatana and Iaito, I'll make a beeline for the Great Scythe. Just need 2 Int to use the Astora Straight Sword so I'll have a fighting chance.

entremet

Great scythe, iaito, uchi

Edit: he can get all of these items if he's at Sen's Fortress. The Great Scythe can technically be obtained very early on, though it's difficult and unlikely, but if he's at Sen's he should be OK in the
Catacombs

I meant more the Black Knight Shield ;)

You gotta get real lucky with the Black Knights in the game
until he's ready to farm them near the end of the game.

I got both Uchigatana and Iaito, I'll make a beeline for the Great Scythe. Just need 2 Int to use the Astora Straight Sword so I'll have a fighting chance.

Just go, breh. Those skeletons aren't that bad. There is a way to kill them without needing a cursed weapon.

Unai

Damage them with your weapon of choice, then final hit with a divine weapon?

You could also just kill
the necromancers that keep reviving them. They don't respawn. There are six in total. Everytime you kill one of them, the skeletons in the area near them will stop reviving until you finish the game.

I have completed the catacombs and the fortress yesterday. I spent quite some time at the latter area, mostly because I kept getting hit by the pendulums and my memory failed me: got killed by the first arrow trap, got crushed by a boulder, got burnt five steps away from the bonfire up top. It was quite rewarding though.

entremet

I have completed the catacombs and the fortress yesterday. I spent quite some time at the latter area, mostly because I kept getting hit by the pendulums and my memory failed me: got killed by the first arrow trap, got crushed by a boulder, got burnt five steps away from the bonfire up top. It was quite rewarding though.

Sen's Fortress is my favorite section in the game. Love that place.

It's smaller than I remember but I guess it has its charms? Favorite area is Ash Lake.

I'm on any land now. Forgot how to get into that Mario 64 level.

Oh by the way, I just learned that kindling bonfires aff to your Estus bottles. I haven't done this before years ago because I always was hollow. This is huge for me.

Stevey

It's smaller than I remember but I guess it has its charms? Favorite area is Ash Lake.

I'm on any land now. Forgot how to get into that Mario 64 level.

Oh by the way, I just learned that kindling bonfires aff to your Estus bottles. I haven't done this before years ago because I always was hollow. This is huge for me.

Also, if someone kindles the last bonfire you rested at you get an Estus

Stevey

Finally got the Chaneller's Trident to drop, was weird, had like 21 humanity and maxed item discovery, died, but then it dropped on my way back to get everything :/

Also, if someone kindles the last bonfire you rested at you get an Estus
Wouldn't know about that since I play offline. Does the Estus go past 20?

Ash Lake is just so serene, and the epic questline that ends there just seals the place as the best for me.

20 is max.
And you can enhance the Estus right? Make it restore more health? I don't remember how I did that before.

Anyway, I beat Ornstein and Smough with a little help from my Sunbro, and I put the controller down after that. This is the final stretch! Quite surprised how well I'm doing actually, considering my magey roots with the series.

Thanks, Stevey!

By the way, I'm quite amazed how easy the game is with a melee weapon. I can say with authority that this is easier than with magic.

Thanks, Stevey!

By the way, I'm quite amazed how easy the game is with a melee weapon. I can say with authority that this is easier than with magic.

I can't agree with you there. If you know what you're doing, magic is OP.

If you don't know what you're doing, I can believe that magic is very difficult.

I meant the game being harder in melee than it is with magic.

I mean case in point: I only died once in the Four Kings fight just now, and that was because I got hit by an AOE. Next try, they all died.

kaos.

Maybe it could be better to wait second dlc of ds3, but I propose to change the topic title in "Definitely better than the sequelS".
What do you think?

Bladelaw

So I just took down Super Ornstein in NG+ and felt like I needed to share. I really want his armor and spear so I was going out of my way to kill Smough first. Took about an hour but the winning strategy vs Big O was basically stay between his legs, roll away when he's about to do his jump back stab the close the distance ASAP. It's rough but doable.

I used a +15 Uchigatana, +5 shadow garb (full set), and a Grass Crest Shield. No summons because I was sick of wasting humanity on the fight.

6for8

Maybe it could be better to wait second dlc of ds3, but I propose to change the topic title in "Definitely better than the sequelS".
What do you think?

Unless the DLC contains a remastered demon's souls entire, it is a safe title change.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I finally did it. I beat Ornstein and Smough :lol. SL 59, HP out the ass, Black Iron Armour + Elite Knight Set for the rest and +9 Iato.

Everything changed once I realised you can stun Ornstein pretty easily if you two hand, Solo Smough only took two tries after that, his electrobuttstomp nearly got me twice and by the end of it I had no Estus left and he had 1/3rd HP left but I managed.

Feelsgoodman.jpg. Now I can finally move on with the game and do the DLC and shit

Top Bottom