• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Power was granted, so the world could be mended

Yams

I'm guessing some of you never played Demon Souls till now but have played more recent souls-type games. I'm wondering how you find the comparison now that you're playing the OG?

Zoanoid33

Anyone having an issue with this game freezing and shutting off the ps5? I haven't gotten more then 5 minutes of gameplay before it freezes, goes black shots down the system. Going to wait until this gets ironed out to try and play again. What a bummer was really looking forward to this game.

This feels like some sort of Dark Souls/Mega Man mashup with how the levels are structured. Still getting smashed at the Gates of Boletaria. Do you open a short cut, or anything of the sort, during the levels? Or is it a balls to the wall one shot?

GenericUser

Anyone having an issue with this game freezing and shutting off the ps5? I haven't gotten more then 5 minutes of gameplay before it freezes, goes black shots down the system. Going to wait until this gets ironed out to try and play again. What a bummer was really looking forward to this game.
Sounds like a hardware issue. Contact sony asap.

Just quick for the folks playing.... How long are the loading times when you die? Do you get back into the game near instantaneous?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
This feels like some sort of Dark Souls/Mega Man mashup with how the levels are structured. Still getting smashed at the Gates of Boletaria. Do you open a short cut, or anything of the sort, during the levels? Or is it a balls to the wall one shot?
You open shortcuts and each area has several bosses which get an archstone to return to the nexus from/get back in. It will become clear when you get to the first boss after opening a couple shortcuts and its lair. It did feel crazy at first being unable to level up and shit before that but it's not so bad in retrospect. Game is easy given all your experience and tactics from Dark Souls work just the same, just be careful and you'll probably beat most of the bosses on your first try except a couple really cheap ones or if you get caught off guard so you do it on the second attempt. I'm not even some pro Dark Souls player or anything, I don't min max characters and read up how to get/upgrade the best weapons. New Game + is kicking my ass in comparison though, you can't overpower everything by being just a bit clever when they have so much more health and hit that much harder. But I'm not one to replay games so much and there's no real change outside that so I probably won't keep playing it much longer, it's just a retread with no big or cool surprises left for the game to throw at me. Btw did the remake make archstones work more like bonfires so you don't have to get back to the Nexus every time you want to reset the level (but still do to resupply and go to the blacksmiths and such anyway)?

Last edited:
Just looked at the trophy list. This looks way easier than the PS3 ver to platinum!

No more get need to get every pure X stone types to complete every weapon type of trophies. No need to collect all Valuable Weapons period!

They added some interesting challenges instead.

Vaelka

Man Bluepoint got a lot of shit wrong, most of the art and the soundtrack were straight up butchered, i'll stick to the PS3 version.

Did they actually change a lot?
I always assumed it was just more of a remaster so upgraded graphics basically.

Great Hair

Banned
This LP is funny af! No clue who he is, but he has a lot of problems with the playstation symbols ... 100% noob LP! and i randomly stumble upon it. He even uses alexa at one point ... lol

Ez game!

5h of pure torture.
bosses killed so far 0

poor soul - 2h playtime, soul level 4 .... hihihi

Last edited:

brenobnfm

They did take a lot of liberties with the art direction, yes, and they're nofuckingwhere close to From in this department. The OST is unrecognizable, for the worse in most part.

BJ2HcP1.jpg

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Litigate my emotions, daddy!
They did take a lot of liberties with the art direction, yes, and they're nofuckingwhere close to From in this department. The OST is unrecognizable, for the worse in most part.

BJ2HcP1.jpg

Remake character design is better for this one

Grinchy

Banned

I played it for 4 hours. The only time I got a black screen is when I turned it off because I remembered I had to eat food as a human.

Vaelka

Remake character design is better for this one

The graphics are obviously better, but his face looks way more generic imo and like a random npc.
It also looks weirdly bright.
I noticed this in a lot of other footage too it almost looks cartoonishly bright and colorful in comparison.

The remake pic there almost looks like Soul Calibur, it doesn't look like it's from a Souls game.

Last edited:

BJ2HcP1.jpg
I'm happy I never played the original because every time someone posts one of these comparisons I'm like "OK... The redesign looks a million times better in every possible way to me?"

DavidGzz

Died a dozen times trying to get the Crescent Falchion with my squishy wizard. I forgot how fast those skellys roll at you and they are all wearing what seems to be spiked armor two rolls and a slash and I was toast. Finally got it though. Worth.

Zoanoid33

Gave it a reinstall but it froze and shutdown the ps5 again within 5 minutes of playing the tutorial area. Looks like a lot of people on reddit are having this problem with Spiderman MM, Demons Souls and even Astros Playroom. Astros Playroom runs fine for me so it seems more game specific then hardware related. Here's hoping they aren't defective units and it can be patched quickly.

2AdEPT

when is this game coming for PC? I think i'll wait
Legit? :messenger_grinning:The same time as Bloodborne...it will be a two for one Sony exclusive deal on steam for the holiday sales in December. /s As a santa you should know this :messenger_winking:

Last edited:

Lethal01

In my opinion yes, in higher FPS the combat just feels much better and in games like this I value that over higher resolution or other graphical eye candy.

The Cinematic mode in this game seems to be a totally tacked on thing that just increase the res a bit.
Definitely not worth it, nothing like the huge visual upgrade of soemthing like Miles Morales.

Lethal01

Could someone with the game make a video with the output from the controller? Wanna see how that 3D audio performs and nobody is really trying to demonstrate it..

Last edited:

shubik

BJ2HcP1.jpg

Honest question from someone who never played the original. Looking at these images what makes you think that one design is better than the other? The new one looks very similar overall. Sure there are some minor differences but is one better or worse than the other?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Original has a sterner face yet like all of it is stylized and animesque, other than that this is one of the non offensive redesigns that takes the original concept and doesn't mess with it much, I don't get the negative reaction to it (it's my first time seeing it after playing through the original just now).

Last edited:

Codes 208

yup, it’s a souls game alright. Getting my ass kicked because I keep underestimating the dredglings at the gates of bolitaria (it doesnt help I only have half health)

It’s a straight-up remake with news assets unlike the Dark Souls Remaster which was just a grez boost.

Last edited:

Tajaz2426

Is there a big difference between Fidelity and Performance mode? I’d love to play 60FPS, but want the great visuals, also.

regawdless

Banned
Very surprised that there's only one review up. What's up with that? Such a late embargo, can't imagine Sony not being confident enough for earlier reviews.

brenobnfm

Honest question from someone who never played the original. Looking at these images what makes you think that one design is better than the other? The new one looks very similar overall. Sure there are some minor differences but is one better or worse than the other?

One is a menacing stylish motherfucker, the other is some random grandpa doing bad cosplay. They also badly fucked up the soundtrack of this fight.

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit

The remake is objectively the better game. The atmosphere of the original is amplified tenfold, the music is fantastic and stays true to the originals ost, and the character designs are as close as you can get to the originals with a proper upgrade in fidelity.

The folks who claim it is worse are either console warriors, bitter souls fans who don’t want to buy the PlayStation for the exclusive game, or are silly fanboys of From who think no one else can ever come close to what they make even if it is literally the same game with a graphics update.

shoegaze

Is there a big difference between Fidelity and Performance mode? I’d love to play 60FPS, but want the great visuals, also.
The trick is to never turn on the performance mode if you want to get the highest fidelity possible. Once you do that, you ruin the 30 FPS mode instantly, in any game.

regawdless

Banned
I'm actually fine with most of the character designs.

But man, what did they do to the fat minister? He was a menacing dark motherfucker. Now he looks like he's been zombified, too fat to fit in his clothes anymore and has lost all his dignity.

Last edited:
Top Bottom