• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did today’s State of Play convince you that you need VR?

VR where do you sit?

• I own it and it’s awesome

Votes: 52 26.1%
  • I own it and it collects dust

Votes: 21 10.6%
  • I’m not interested in it

Votes: 27 13.6%
  • I want it, but the technology isn’t there.

Votes: 33 16.6%
  • Not interested.

Votes: 61 30.7%
  • this presentation told me I needed it, but don’t own one yet

Votes: 5 2.5%

• Total voters
"I've tried it and not impressed"

It's bullshit like this that puts legitimate people off, I was one who was put off by the "its wank the tech ain't there" or "it made me pass out in my own vomit"

.. I don't believe you.

I've shown VR off to everyone who's been round my house and everyone has loved it, they've either bought it themselves or wish they had disposable cash for it
Not a single person has gone "meh" or "gimmick" I've had die hard haters of PS and VR who've never tried it go "go on then" and come away with a completely different view after about 20 minutes.
I can actually understand why some of these comments occur. I've gathered plenty of information over time, and pretty much in every case they list tech demos or mediocre titles. As long as someone is mentally sound, and plays/experiences some of the best VR games (and apps - very important), they will always see the potential at the very least.

There's also one other case. If they get motion sickness, that can cloud their judgement of the whole tech and make them hate it with their guts. That's obviously their emotions speaking and not their brain, so should be discarded as an opinion because the technology doesn't cause sickness by itself, meaning there is still plenty of use even to the hyper-sensitive.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
You seem to be under the impression that it's specifically hardware-related? Motion sickness occurs only through artificial locomotion. Therefore games with teleportation or own body movement will not give someone sickness at 90Hz - as long as IPD adjustment is correct.

I'm not a medical professional - unlike yourself clearly - but I'm not interested in VR and will never buy it.

I'M NOT INTERESTED IN VR.

No matter what you say to me or others, I'm not interested in VR.

I don't care if you think I'm missing out, closed minded or whatever. I'm not interested in feeling sick just to play a bloody video game. There's plenty more things in life for us all to enjoy.

Please, by all means go and enjoy VR for yourself - but give it a rest trying to force it on everyone else. It's pretty weird how you're acting in this thread.

Tumle

no it didint convinced me. im still waiting for good VR to try, but PSVR games wouldnt be interesting to me i think. i saw couple cool games on PC VR side but still we need more. so maybe with PS5 VR i will jump to that train if that VR stuff will be inside console allready and VR will be wireless.
Ok I own both a vive and a psvr.. and though there are differences in tracking(very minimal, if you don’t count roomscale) the resolution on the psvr is actually fine and the optics and screen quality in the headset is actually better. No halo effect and screen door effect is way lower than on the other two.. :)
Also the software on psvr is more polished.. though I like the more experimental stuff you can find on PC also😊

Last edited:

Tumle

I’m not sure what it is about VR that turns some people into the video game versions of Jehovah’s Witnesses who think that it’s their mission to convert every fucking person who isn’t interested in the shit.

I understand that it must be a weird concept to VR zealots, but some people just prefer traditional video gaming. They don’t want the wheel reinvented. They’re happy with a controller in their hands and using a regular screen.

That’s me. I’m pushing 50 years old. I don’t want change. I’m gravitating more and more back to retro gaming because that’s what I’m comfortable with. Simplicity. Shit that just works. I’ve already noted in several threads that this is my last console generation. I’m just about done with modern video gaming, because it no longer overlaps with what I want out of it.

VR adds more layers of complexity. Not less. Wearing shit on my head. Making sure I have enough room, so I don’t break shit. More wires. Health complications in some instances.

Nah. I don’t want that, and in the time I have left before I’m dead, I can guarantee that I’m never, ever going to want that.

Good for those who do. Maybe, after hearing the same lines of bullshit since the early 1990s about how VR was going to be the next big thing in video gaming, it’ll actually happen.
Great job pointing out that people who likes something likes to share that with others.. and it’s pissing you off..
And good on you for not pointing to all those examples of where VR enthusiast are trying to convert people and are not just trying to defend from shitposters calling VR a gimmick and a piece of shit technology that’s dead on arrival..
Go play pacman, don’t worry I’m not going to try and say you are wrong or ridicule you for your choices, or talk about how retro gamers act like real gaming died in 95’!

Last edited:
I’m not sure what it is about VR that turns some people into the video game versions of Jehovah’s Witnesses who think that it’s their mission to convert every fucking person who isn’t interested in the shit.

I understand that it must be a weird concept to VR zealots, but some people just prefer traditional video gaming. They don’t want the wheel reinvented. They’re happy with a controller in their hands and using a regular screen.

That’s me. I’m pushing 50 years old. I don’t want change. I’m gravitating more and more back to retro gaming because that’s what I’m comfortable with. Simplicity. Shit that just works. I’ve already noted in several threads that this is my last console generation. I’m just about done with modern video gaming, because it no longer overlaps with what I want out of it.

VR adds more layers of complexity. Not less. Wearing shit on my head. Making sure I have enough room, so I don’t break shit. More wires. Health complications in some instances.

Nah. I don’t want that, and in the time I have left before I’m dead, I can guarantee that I’m never, ever going to want that.

Good for those who do. Maybe, after hearing the same lines of bullshit since the early 1990s about how VR was going to be the next big thing in video gaming, it’ll actually happen.

That is your choice and is respectable. Or rather, it would be respectable if you wouldnt call names to people who actually know what the actual fuck they are talking about, which you clearly don't. And you dont because you have never tried it by yourself so you are just barking at the moon.

And then you try to rationalize your argument with lies. There are no health issues, there are no space problems, there is nothing keeping you from enjoying what is the TRUE next gen.

VR is how games are supposed to be played. Comparing RE7 "flat" versus RE7 VR it''s like comparing a bike to a Ferrari. Same applies to all games that are compatible for TV and VR.

If you want true confort don't play on console or PC either. Play on a mobile phone or a tablet, with one hand and scratching your balls with the other. That's confort.

I don't understand you guys, the anti-VR crowd. VR is not convenient enough as to being a competitor to "traditional gaming". Despite being million times better, convenience is a major factor for most people and thats why mobile and portable gaming are so popular. However, don't call shit to something that is far superior to "traditional gaming"

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

VR is how games are supposed to be played. Comparing RE7 "flat" versus RE7 VR it''s like comparing a bike to a Ferrari. Same applies to all games that are compatible for TV and VR.

If you want true confort don't play on console or PC either. Play on a mobile phone or a tablet, with one hand and scratching your balls with the other. That's confort.

I don't understand you guys, the anti-VR crowd. VR is not convenient enough as to being a competitor to "traditional gaming". Despite being million times better, convenience is a major factor for most people and thats why mobile and portable gaming are so popular. However, don't call shit to something that is far superior to "traditional gaming"

Your whole post is what annoys the most of us. This whole fucking elitistic stance about VR being far superior and million times better to traditional gaming, and that VR is how games are supposed to be played. Get the fuck out of here with that shit. It´s true what Petrae said, you preach like evangelists trying to convince everybody who doesn´t like it with your hyperbolic, and quite frankly, disgusting fucking" holier than thou"-attitude. A bunch of sensitive fanboys who goes on a desperate crusade to quote everyone with a negative opinion, and tell us how wrong we are. No wonder a lot of us despise the VR crowd.

Höh höh höh "Want comfort? Don´t play on console or PC, play on mobile or a tablet with one hand and scratching your balls with the other höh höh höh look ma I´m so funny". GTFO

andrespi

"I've tried it and not impressed"

It's bullshit like this that puts legitimate people off, I was one who was put off by the "its wank the tech ain't there" or "it made me pass out in my own vomit"

.. I don't believe you.

I've shown VR off to everyone who's been round my house and everyone has loved it, they've either bought it themselves or wish they had disposable cash for it
Not a single person has gone "meh" or "gimmick" I've had die hard haters of PS and VR who've never tried it go "go on then" and come away with a completely different view after about 20 minutes.

I bought PSVR and it was one of the worst purchase I ever made in terms of hardware (I have several vr games, astrobot, re7, until dawn, skyrim vr and several others). The only decent experience with psvr was resident evil 7, but even then, I ended up enjoying a lot more the flat version; you can just play on a couch for 3-4 hours (while I challenge anybody to resist more than 1 hour playing continuosly while wearing the psvr on for the whole time). Right now I just removed it and put it back into the original box because it was just a nightmare in terms of cable management, all messy on my living room. With a regular videogame "flat", I can play for 3-4 hours non stop, with vr hardly more than 1 hour and i end up with headache and just being extremely tired.

All friends I made it try, a few (1 or 2) couldn't play and went into full vomit mode, others yeah nice but didn't see the point when you can just play regular mode for hours (unlike vr where it's hard to make long sessions). Also you are strongly underestimating the impact of motion sickness. i didn't suffer particularly from it, but I have a friend who had to resell it, because even after 2-3 months and after trying different games, he suffered terribly from it and couldn't "harden"/get used (so to speak) to motion sickness. Motion sickness with psvr is a real thing and for a few people no matter how much they try, they never "get used"/get over it.

Why should I play with this bulky thing on my head, when I can just stay relaxed on my couch maybe half lying down with a controller. Maybe in the future when it will cable-less, less bulky and with a much better graphic performances and controls (ps moves are just awful), then I will happily change my mind. Right now for gaming for me it doesn't appeal and doesn't add anything to the fun of just picking up a controller and playing on a flat screen on a couch, maybe with your friend next to you on the couch and speaking/talking to each other.

It doesn't help that with very thick glasses lenses it's quite difficult to wear for long periods, so that probably worsen the situation for me. Having thick glasses and the psvr helmet for long periods of time is no joke; it's really tiring.

Quoting this So much. The same for me, both modern gaming and recent games (even non-vr games) and vr just add so many layers of complexity, that nowadays I'm just playing occasionally with retro consoles. It will probably be my last real console generation for me too. Nowadays I'm gravitating towards retro gaming (especially nes/snes era games which were from my childhood and are still extremely enjoyable for me; just pick and play immediately, purer/simpler; god bless nintendo and their retro consoles; now hoping for the sega mega drive mini from sega) and other more retro/analog "hobbies".

Having said that, I'm happy for people who like it, so it's more than fair that also psvr owners get their fair share of games. There are certainly a lot of games coming for psvr, so their investment certainly paid off.

Last edited:
I'm not a medical professional - unlike yourself clearly - but I'm not interested in VR and will never buy it.

No matter what you say to me or others, I'm not interested in VR.

I don't care if you think I'm missing out, closed minded or whatever. I'm not interested in feeling sick just to play a bloody video game. There's plenty more things in life for us all to enjoy.

Please, by all means go and enjoy VR for yourself - but give it a rest trying to force it on everyone else. It's pretty weird how you're acting in this thread.

If you're not interested in VR, fine. But don't use motion sickness as an excuse. because it's nothing more than a blanket statement, as it's entirely avoidable.

Again, never say never. You may find yourself wanting or needing VR for communication, telepresence, computing or for other reasons. Maybe you hate mobile gaming, but you have a smartphone, right? Could be the same situation with VR in a decade or so.

Last edited:
I bought PSVR and it was one of the worst purchase I ever made in terms of hardware (I have several vr games, astrobot, re7, until dawn, skyrim vr and several others). The only decent experience with psvr was resident evil 7, but even then, I ended up enjoying a lot more the flat version; you can just play on a couch for 3-4 hours (while I challenge anybody to resist more than 1 hour playing continuosly while wearing the psvr on for the whole time). Right now I just removed it and put it back into the original box because it was just a nightmare in terms of cable management, all messy on my living room. With a regular videogame "flat", I can play for 3-4 hours non stop, with vr hardly more than 1 hour and i end up with headache and just being extremely tired.

All friends I made it try, a few (1 or 2) couldn't play and went into full vomit mode, others yeah nice but didn't see the point when you can just play regular mode for hours (unlike vr where it's hard to make long sessions). Also you are strongly underestimating the impact of motion sickness. i didn't suffer particularly from it, but I have a friend who had to resell it, because even after 2-3 months and after trying different games, he suffered terribly from it and couldn't "harden"/get used (so to speak) to motion sickness. Motion sickness with psvr is a real thing and for a few people no matter how much they try, they never "get used"/get over it.

Why should I play with this bulky thing on my head, when I can just stay relaxed on my couch maybe half lying down with a controller. Maybe in the future when it will cable-less, less bulky and with a much better graphic performances and controls (ps moves are just awful), then I will happily change my mind. Right now for gaming for me it doesn't appeal and doesn't add anything to the fun of just picking up a controller and playing on a flat screen on a couch, maybe with your friend next to you on the couch and speaking/talking to each other.

It doesn't help that with very thick glasses lenses it's quite difficult to wear for long periods, so that probably worsen the situation for me. Having thick glasses and the psvr helmet for long periods of time is no joke; it's really tiring.

Quoting this So much. The same for me, both modern gaming and recent games (even non-vr games) and vr just add so many layers of complexity, that nowadays I'm just playing occasionally with retro consoles. It will probably be my last real console generation for me too. Nowadays I'm gravitating towards retro gaming (especially nes/snes era games which were from my childhood and are still extremely enjoyable for me; just pick and play immediately, purer/simpler; god bless nintendo and their retro consoles; now hoping for the sega mega drive mini from sega) and other more retro/analog "hobbies".

Having said that, I'm happy for people who like it, so it's more than fair that also psvr owners get their fair share of games. There are certainly a lot of games coming for psvr, so their investment certainly paid off.
As I said earlier in the thread, motion sickness / headaches is clouding your judgement. I'm sure that the times you spent with RE7, Astro Bot showed that it does add fun and genuine value when you weren't sick or experiencing a headache. You probably won't admit it, but you know it's true just as much as me.

Things will get sorted out for you in the future. Headaches will be a thing of the past with variable focus. Wires will be gone. Setup time will be gone. Glasses will no longer be needed to use it for glasses-uses. Motion sickness will be cured.

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
If you're not interested in VR, fine. But don't use motion sickness as an excuse. because it's nothing more than a blanket statement, as it's entirely avoidable.

Listen Quincy, it's time to step away from Virtual Reality and try Actual Reality for a change. Your attitude on here regarding all this is bizarre.

How dare you say motion sickness is just an excuse keeping people from your favourite toy? You have NO IDEA about anyone's medical history or background.

Just give it a rest. You're obsessed. People don't like your favourite thing? - tough shit.

andrespi

As I said earlier in the thread, motion sickness / headaches is clouding your judgement. I'm sure that the times you spent with RE7, Astro Bot showed that it does add fun and genuine value when you weren't sick or experiencing a headache. You probably won't admit it, but you know it's true just as much as me.

Things will get sorted out for you in the future. Headaches will be a thing of the past with variable focus. Wires will be gone. Setup time will be gone. Glasses will no longer be needed to use it for glasses-uses. Motion sickness will be cured.

Actually quite the opposite and it's clear you didn't read my post. I don't suffer from motion sickness, but only from occasional headaches after long sessions (30 minutes +) of vr. It's a few of my friends that went into full vomit mode (or extreme discomfort like my friend who resold it), not me.

And no motion sickness won't be magically cured in a year like you imagine, nor it's avoidable for many games and in some people. Believing that motion sickness will be magically cured for everybody in a few year is a pipedream.

Also it's quite the opposite. after playing re7, playing it regular was so much better. Could finally play comfortable on the couch (half lying down) and for long periods, while with vr it's hard to even play for an hour. I won't deny that the immersion and the possibility of seeing 360° is great and the scares/sense of immersion is really good, but it gets extremely unconfortable even just after 20 minutes (that thing is heavy on your head!), while regular you can play easily for 2 or 3 hours. I challenge anybody to play 3 hours continuosly with vr headset like I did with regular flat resident evil.

Maybe when vr headset wil be without cables (), I will totally give it a retry.

Last edited:
Listen Quincy, it's time to step away from Virtual Reality and try Actual Reality for a change. Your attitude on here regarding all this is bizarre.

How dare you say motion sickness is just an excuse keeping people from your favourite toy? You have NO IDEA about anyone's medical history or background.

Just give it a rest. You're obsessed. People don't like your favourite thing? - tough shit.
I don't think you get it. VR mimics real life in the way it works. Therefore, you will not get motion sickness any differently than how you get motion sickness in real life, except for when artificial movement is occurring.

If you avoid artificial movement, you are going to be fine so long as you don't try to spin around non-stop for a minute - which can cause sickness in reality as it is.

I updated my post to include the fact that you should be looking at the technology not just as a gaming device, but as a beneficial tool for daily life that improves lives.

Ozrimandias

Im not interested in it = Not interested

Also, there most be a "Im interested, but i will not buy it yet"

The No Man Sky update with VR certainly got my attention

Actually quite the opposite and it's clear you didn't read my post. I don't suffer from motion sickness, but only from occasional headaches after long sessions (30 minutes +) of vr. It's a few of my friends that went into full vomit mode, not me.

And no motion sickness won't be magically cured in a year like you imagine, nor it's avoidable for many games and in some people. Beieving that motion sickness will be magically cured for everybody in a few year is a pipedream.

Also it's quite the opposite. after playing re7, playing it regular was so much better. Could finally play comfortable on the couch (half lying down) and for long periods, while with vr it's hard to even play for an hour. I won't deny that the immersion and the possibility of seeing 360° is great and the scares/sense of immersion is really good, but it gets extremely unconfortable even just after 20 minutes (that thing is heavy on your head!), while regular you can play easily for 2 or 3 hours. I challenge anybody to play 3 hours continuosly with vr headset like I did with regular flat resident evil.
Headaches then. I can see why that along with comfort issues would take precedence over admitting that it has fun, value, and potential but you have now admitted there is something to be had, so that's progress. I never said motion sickness would be cured in just one year, but there is a cure, and it's by drowning the vestibular system in white noise, which can be done safely. This causes your inner ear to ignore any change in circumstance with what your eyes are seeing and what your body is feeling. This is an example:

There will be a time when your issues are fixed, and probably sooner than later. (not in a year though)

Last edited:

Zannegan

It convinced me to check out the next generation of PSVR, assuming they release a wireless headset and purpose-built VR controllers. There should be a very nice library of compatible PS4 VR games to pick from by then.

Iron Man looked like garbage though. Let's hope that's more representative of the tutorial than the main campaign.

andrespi

Headaches then. I can see why that along with comfort issues would take precedence over admitting that it has fun, value, and potential but you have now admitted there is something to be had, so that's progress. I never said motion sickness would be cured in just one year, but there is a cure, and it's by drowning the vestibular system in white noise, which can be done safely. This causes your inner ear to ignore any change in circumstance with what your eyes are seeing and what your body is feeling. This is an example:

There will be a time when your issues are fixed, and probably sooner than later. (not in a year though)

I never said it's more fun. it's actually the opposite; I said it gave more immersion, which is not necessarily more fun. VR is actually less fun for me for most games I tried. And no trust me I'm old enough to know when my judgement is being clouded, thanks. VR adds nothing to the concept of fun in gaming as I intend it or at least I want it. You don't need to be immersed in a 360° virtual world to have fun. Even a flat 2d game can be more fun that a vr game for most people. Not everybody is interested in having a full immersive 360° world (that you can turn your head and still see) when playing.

You lose the possibility of just talking with real people on your couch, it adds nothing to actual fun or to a simple "pick up and play" game experience, since I have one more device to wear. As I said I had more fun with regular gaming even without taking into account the headaches.

And lol at that solution. Yeah I can't wait to put a second another thing on my head to vibrate through my bones just to heal motion sickness so that I can play. That's totally what I want from gaming XD.

You people have a totally different conception of gaming. For me it was always just pick up a controller with your friends and play. or when alone just rest lying down on the couch after a day of work with some easy-to-pick-up controls. Not necessarily having immersion in a full 3d scene with motion controllers that I have to move around like a mad man. Certainly I won't put another headband around my head to cure my motion sickness so that I can play games, when instead I just want to relax. And yeah, before that will be included in regular gaming home VR headset, we are talking many many years, if it even works on a large scale (which remains to be seen, since article himself said it's at a very early stage of testing).

Last edited:

Maguro

I'm not interrested. I am interrested though in real virtual reality gaming. But not with the actual state of technlogy.
When i think about virtual reality gaming, i think like my mind and my reality is IN THE GAME. And thats not gonna hapen in the next 50 years or so.
Putting googles on my head is just bringing the game as close to your eyes as possible. It doesn't change your consciousness of the world you play in. Also i think its pretty useless if you still have to control the game with the controller. In my VR fantasy you give the command with your brain to move or do things in the game.

I never said it's more fun. it's actually the opposite; I said it gave more immersion, which is not necessarily more fun. VR is actually less fun for me for most games I tried.

You lose the possibility of just talking with real people on your couch, it adds nothing to actual fun or to a simple "pick up and play" game experience, since I have one more device to wear. As I said I had more fun with regular gaming even without taking into account the headaches.

And lol at that solution. Yeah I can't wait to put a second another thing on my head to vibrate through my bones just to heal motion sickness so that I can play. That's totally what I want from gaming XD.

You people have a totally different conception of gaming. For me it was always just pick up a controller with your friends and play. or when alone just rest lying down on the couch after a day of work with some easy-to-pick-up controls. Not necessarily having immersion in a full 3d scene with motion controllers that I have to move around like a mad man. Certainly I won't put another headband around my head to cure my motion sickness so that I can play games, when instead I just want to relax. And yeah, before that will be included in regular gaming home VR headset, we are talking many many years, if it even works on a large scale (which remains to be seen, since article himself said it's at a very early stage of testing).
Again, this is your clouded judgement. You cannot say it adds nothing to fun. If you tried to make Astro Bot or Moss without VR, it would objectively be less fun as a game.

You can't talk to people very effectively today using headsets, but those people will be scanned into the virtual world as one seamless view as time goes on. Before you say this is so far off, Oculus Quest already does this and runs on mobile chips, but is at an early stage. There will come a time when people will slip on a pair of sunglasses in the future, put themselves in a relaxing forest with fireflies floating around, and then lie down in bed and play some games on a virtual screen. That will definitely be very relaxing.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

I challenge anybody to play 3 hours continuosly with vr headset like I did with regular flat resident evil.
maxresdefault.jpg

Does it have to be RE7, though? I already almost finish it, I'm at the ship.

I'm not interrested. I am interrested though in real virtual reality gaming. But not with the actual state of technlogy.
When i think about virtual reality gaming, i think like my mind and my reality is IN THE GAME. And thats not gonna hapen in the next 50 years or so.
Putting googles on my head is just bringing the game as close to your eyes as possible. It doesn't change your consciousness of the world you play in. Also i think its pretty useless if you still have to control the game with the controller. In my VR fantasy you give the command with your brain to move or do things in the game.
I take it you have not tried VR before then? It's not just putting a screen close to your face. It tricks the subconscious, which means your brain thinks it's real, and this is merely gen 1 technology.

Last edited:

andrespi

Again, this is your clouded judgement. You cannot say it adds nothing to fun. If you tried to make Astro Bot or Moss without VR, it would objectively be less fun as a game.

You can't talk to people very effectively today using headsets, but those people will be scanned into the virtual world as one seamless view as time goes on. Before you say this is so far off, Oculus Quest already does this and runs on mobile chips, but is at an early stage. There will come a time when people will slip on a pair of sunglasses in the future, put themselves in a relaxing forest with fireflies floating around, and then lie down in bed and play some games on a virtual screen. That will definitely be very relaxing.
Lol, who are you to say my judgement is clouded. Maybe we just have different taste? You are acting like your is the only truth. I'm not clouded, it's just not more fun for some of us. I got lot of friends who say the same (some of them tried it even i nfront of me). Or we are all wrong, and only you are right?

And about Astro bot or Moss, they were thought for vr. I played astro bot (I didn't play moss), and there was nothing that tells me it's more fun than traditional platformers. There are dozens of "flat" platformers that are as fun or even more fun, even if they are on a flat screen. Just with a retro console and one of its platformer, I had more fun than astrobot (which is a great game by the way and deserves all the praise). But is it more fun than a regular good platformer for me? No, not at all.

And lol at the people being scanned into the virtual world. Really the same thing. i'm not sure if you people even realize the importance of social element in gaming for a few of us. And yeah that thing you are describing is maybe 20 years in the future and won't take it off very soon, Just look at the digital pushback that is slowly taking place, with people rejecting modern gaming styles, all digital future and preferring real social experience (board game, couch video gaming, real meetings in cafès or social places to play).

Yeah, i mean who won't have a person scanner in their home XD. And no, scanning faces is not the same as having real people besides you on your couch. I'm not sure if you vr zealots are being serious.

But hey, if for you is more fun in vr, then good for you. i'm happy for you. For some of us, it adds nothing of interest at the moment.

Last edited:

Sakura

I have the PSVR but it just doesn't really do much for me. It's neat, but that's about it. Maybe it's the games I don't know. But it just feels like I'm looking through a windowpane into a world rather than actually being in a world. And now my PSVR has spiderwebs in it and I don't know how to clean it properly.

Lol, who are you to say my judgement is clouded. Maybe we just have different taste? You are acting like your is the only truth. I'm not clouded, it's just not more fun for some of us. I got lot of friends who say the same (some of them tried it even i nfront of me). Or we are all wrong, and only you are right?

And lol at the people being scanned into the virtual world. Really the same thing. i'm not sure if you people even realize the importance of social element in gaming. And yeah that thing you are describing is maybe 30 years in the future and won't take it off very soon., Just look at the digital pushback that is slowly taking place.

Yeah, i mean who won't have a person scanner in their home XD. And no, scanning faces is not the same as having real people besides you on your couch. I'm not sure if you vr zealots are being serious.
The point is that you refuse to say there is any potential for fun there. This is like me saying there is no potential for fun in gaming itself because I got a headache after staring too long at a screen while playing. As for your friends, if they see potential in it, then cool, that's fine even if they don't have fun. But you should probably know that it's exceedingly rare for people to not have fun period. I have demoed about 10000+ times over the years, and not one person was unable to have fun, and this is the how it usually goes for people who demo the hardware elsewhere.

Being scanned into the virtual world is the same thing minus the specs of the headset. It's also ironic that you think I can't realize the social aspect of gaming, when VR is the most social form of online connectivity there is. Of course you're talking about local play, but even that can be a highly social experience with asymmetrical games and party games, and of course the scanning that I talked about which will start to become a norm in headsets.

FYI, a scanned face that looks and moves exactly like the real thing is as real as the real thing because your brain will believe it's no different period. Granted you want a whole human body rather than just a face, but this is going to happen, and it will be as revolutionary as the invention of phonecalls as you could be with anyone in the world in a way that is no different than a real visit - minus a perfect sense of touch.

Darius87

Your whole post is what annoys the most of us. This whole fucking elitistic stance about VR being far superior and million times better to traditional gaming, and that VR is how games are supposed to be played. Get the fuck out of here with that shit. It´s true what Petrae said, you preach like evangelists trying to convince everybody who doesn´t like it with your hyperbolic, and quite frankly, disgusting fucking" holier than thou"-attitude. A bunch of sensitive fanboys who goes on a desperate crusade to quote everyone with a negative opinion, and tell us how wrong we are. No wonder a lot of us despise the VR crowd.

Höh höh höh "Want comfort? Don´t play on console or PC, play on mobile or a tablet with one hand and scratching your balls with the other höh höh höh look ma I´m so funny". GTFO

Lol :messenger_grinning: , he's clearly triggered you, but he's right it's day and night difference between flat and vr mode, and if you or anyone disagree it's clearly shows that haven't tried vr.

andrespi

skyrim VR launch night, started at mid night I took headset off to get a drink and it was 6:30am
Well, ok. Then good for you. Maybe it's just me and my friends I know that have so many problems keeping something so heavy on their head for so many hours. But I literally don't know anybody in person (meaning in real life/not only on social) that managed to keep the psvr headset for so long. The most I personally managed without needing to stop was 30-40 minutes, same for my friends without motion sickness when they tried.

But hey if you find more fun having an headset around your head, covering your whole vision, risking headaches or motion sickness (for certain people), not being able to interact with real world while playing and having messy cables all around you then all good. Who am I to judge, but don't preach: "if you don't like vr, then you haven't tried it". It's not true. Some people simply prefer regular flat gaming and find it more fun/relaxing.

Last edited:
Well, ok. Then good for you. Maybe it's just me and my friends I know that have so many problems keeping something so heavy on their head for so many hours. But I literally don't know anybody in person (meaning in real life/not only on social) that managed to keep the psvr headset for so long. The most I personally managed without needing to stop was 30-40 minutes, same for my friends without motion sickness when they tried.
Sorry I did not mean to come across as a dick then lol, its took me ages to get to the stage I'm at with VR.
Battlefront VR still fucks with my head though :(

andrespi

Sorry I did not mean to come across as a dick then lol, its took me ages to get to the stage I'm at with VR.
Battlefront VR still fucks with my head though :(
No, it's ok. Maybe I overreacted a little too.

It's just that some other users (even on other message boards, not just in this topic) are just ignoring the fact that current headset are way too "bulky" and that some people (not everybody obviously) get really unconfortable wearing it after a while (and just find same or more enjoyment from more simple "flat" experiences obviously based on their personal tastes), and instead they just say/reply:" if you don't like it, then you haven't tried it", which is not the case.

Also scanned faces or virtual avatars aren't and will never be like having real friends besides you. Anyone who believes we will have "sword art online-like" or matrix-like already by the next generation of vr headset is pipe dreaming. Virtual avatars for many of us can't replace actual real people meeting, like in "couch" gaming. And lol at virtual world is the same as real world, so seeing scanned faces would be the same as playing with friends.

Last edited:

Darius87

But hey if you find more fun having an headset around your head, covering your whole vision, risking headaches or motion sickness (for certain people)
why you're talking that covering head with headset like it's negative thing for vr ?, that's the whole point of vr. psvr is light and comfortable, motion sickness is adaptive, and depends on game, most of them have none to little motion sickness.

not being able to interact with real world while playing
just lift your headset up that's all done.

having messy cables all around you then all good.
cable management could be better but that's far from game breaker.

Who am I to judge, but don't preach: "if you don't like vr, then you haven't tried it". It's not true. Some people simply prefer regular flat gaing and find itm more fun/relaxing.
it's more true then not, of course there's people who prefer playing on flat screen but that's minority for those who actually tried vr.

andrespi

why you're talking that covering head with headset like it's negative thing for vr ?, that's the whole point of vr. psvr is light and comfortable, motion sickness is adaptive, and depends on game, most of them have none to little motion sickness.

just lift your headset up that's all done.

cable management could be better but that's far from game breaker.

it's more true then not, of course there's people who prefer playing on flat screen but that's minority for those who actually tried vr.

So having a further device to wear is a good thing? You like having more devices to use/wear while relaxing?

Yeah, also so confortable to lift headset every time, and having to remove (with all those cables) if you just a have to move a bit (I don't know pick up sometihng or just moving). So easy and pick up and play, really.

Also minority? Did you count them or have a survey with significant statistical data (surveying both hardcore, casuals and people experienced and not-experience in vr in different countries)? Here the survey says otherwise (not that it means anything since this is mostly an echo-chamber). Unless you have some data, then it's just your opinion that it's a minority that prefers "flat screen". But that's ok, it your opinion, just like me and some of my friends have mine.

Last edited:
So having a further device to wear is a good thing? You like having more devices to use/wear while relaxing?

Yeah, also so confortable to lift headset every time, and having to remove (with all those cables) if you just a have to move a bit (I don't know pick up sometihng or just moving). So easy and pick up and play, really.

Also minority? Did you count them or have a survey with significant statistical data (surveying both hardcore, casuals and people experienced and not-experience in vr in different countries)? Here the survey says otherwise (not that it means anything since this is mostly an echo-chamber). Unless you have some data, then it's just your opinion that it's a minority that prefers "flat screen". But that's ok, it your opinion, just like me and some of my friends have mine.
Every technology has some kind of drawback. The drawback that VR will always have for a long time is having to wear something. Today it's not ideal, but wearing something much smaller will be trivial and unnoticeable for the most part.

Mega Man

Never tried VR and I'm not that interested, but if a PSVR headset arrived on my doorstep...I still wouldn't be interested.

I like to be traditional. I just enjoy the games with a controller and that's how I'll always play.
They used to say that about a box and a knob with no buttons. Times are a' changin'

Mega Man

Soon enough we'll get to a point where they make something called "VR HOME" where it's a giant connected environment the size of NYC. Digital real estate will be bought and sold to the highest bidder where they can sell digital space within their space to advertisers. Within these spaces developers will create unique experiences for all who walk the virtual streets with their friends and family. I call this place... MIRAGE

Settle in boys and girls, it'll happen in our lifetime. The question is, will you be an early adopter? Or a Johnny come lately who just barely missed the profitable boat... ?

Soon enough we'll get to a point where they make something called "VR HOME" where it's a giant connected environment the size of NYC. Digital real estate will be bought and sold to the highest bidder where they can sell digital space within their space to advertisers. Within these spaces developers will create unique experiences for all who walk the virtual streets with their friends and family. I call this place... MIRAGE

Settle in boys and girls, it'll happen in our lifetime. The question is, will you be an early adopter? Or a Johnny come lately who just barely missed the profitable boat... ?
I mean yeah, technology has been inevitably heading this way ever since 3D worlds became a thing. Hell, there were 10 million people at the Fortnite concert event and that was merely on a screen. Attending actual virtual concerts in VR is a whole level beyond. Hundreds of millions, if not billions of people will be interconnected into one or multiple metaverses in the next couple of decades.

Tracking is starting to get very promising too:

Last edited:

Mega Man

I mean yeah, technology has been inevitably heading this way ever since 3D worlds became a thing. Hell, there were 10 million people at the Fortnite concert event and that was merely on a screen. Attending actual virtual concerts in VR is a whole level beyond. Hundreds of millions, if not billions of people will be interconnected into one or multiple metaverses in the next couple of decades.

Tracking is starting to get very promising too:

Wow. Now that's impressive!

eminydax

Neo Member
firewall makes me a happy vr owner.
so intense and memorable.

games like gt, honor and duty, star trek, wipeout and stuff are the icing on the cake.

next gen will be wondrous. niche or not.

but i must say many of my friends arent that amazed by it. not one bought a psvr or pcvr. disappointing.

Darius87

yes if it creates presence in a videofame, pros outweights cons in this case. of course it would be better be in vr without headset, but that' s not possible.
to move a bit or pick up something you just lift your headset, you don't need it to remove it, putting on off isn't that difficult also, i don't know why to you is so inconvenient? holding controller in your hands must be also difficult, you've to hold it, headset just sits on your head.
no surveys needed just use common sense, if you think of all these people who has vr over 50% doesn't like it and prefers flat screen at this point we would see decline in vr sales by now.
basically what your saying is that looking at some object thru window is better then looking straight at object.

andrespi

yes if it creates presence in a videofame, pros outweights cons in this case. of course it would be better be in vr without headset, but that' s not possible.

to move a bit or pick up something you just lift your headset, you don't need it to remove it, putting on off isn't that difficult also, i don't know why to you is so inconvenient? holding controller in your hands must be also difficult, you've to hold it, headset just sits on your head.

no surveys needed just use common sense, if you think of all these people who has vr over 50% doesn't like it and prefers flat screen at this point we would see decline in vr sales by now.
basically what your saying is that looking at some object thru window is better then looking straight at object.

No, with current psvr you are not looking straight at object. You are looking at blurry mess while having an heavy object on your head. It's more like looking at something with strong myopia, while wearing an helmet, all of this while having several cables around you impeding your movements and also blocking the vision of the room in real world around you (which not everyone might like; not everyone is out there gaming to look for immersive 360° experiences).

Also I never said 50% of people prefer looking at flat screens. I said some people; you are giving out percentages where I only said some people don't see the value over a regular "flat" experiences. As you can see I'm not alone, even on this very topic. Also just look at percentages on survey options of people not interested or that it's taking dust on this very topic. It's not that they prefer a flat screen, but that some of them don't see any added value, over a traditional experience, considering the current hassles of current psvr model.

Sales actually proves the opposite, that it's still niche (4 millions on over 100 millions ps4 sold). We are talking of an attach rate of less than 5%; which means that mass market gaming doesn't really care about it.

Since you are using "common sense" (which has no real validity), then I will just use anedoctal evidence (same validity). In my country I literally don't know anybody in person/real life who has bought it and kept it without reselling it. The only people I know that bought it and didnt resell it are not in real life/only on social and are hardcore gamers (whcih would be the only ones available to spend 200 euro on a device on top of the price of a console with also the risk of not being able to use it because of motion sickness). Plus those numbers don't take into account people who have bought it and just don't use it and it's taking dust. Also the fact that it's still selling means nothing, it's still niche and not at all mainstream, and the growing number happens because also of lower prices. it was on very heavy discounts; in my country they were like throwing them at you for christmas and black friday; you could find it at 230 euro with 3 games, or 180 with vr worlds and camera. Now they sell it in most places at 220 with vr worlds and camera in some stores, without any special timed discount. There were also strong investments by sony with both ads and games, so it's normal that it keeps selling. With lower prices, more ps4 owners are tempted to buy it to try it, because the price/risk of not liking/using much is much lower, so they can take the risk more easily. Plus a lot of advertisement and investments by Sony.

Some people don't even have space to own a psvr and struggle to even have space for more than 2 consoles.

And comparing a vr headset to a controller without cables really? You are telling me that a vr headset is the same as a wireless controller in terms of comfiness? And yeah good luck playing a vr on a couch half lying down. Really the same as a controller. I don't even know how to argue with this. If for you a bulky headset is the same as holding a controller, then i don't know what to tell you.

Well, ok I'm stopping posting and just go other threads.

You obviously have your idea, and like to dismiss anyone who doesn't like vr, as people who "just don't understand". Will see you in 3 years in your matrix world XD, since people here seem to believe we will have vr at those levels in just a few years with motion sickness and headaches all magically cured in just a few years. In the meantime, I will go back to the real world, where many young people just have mobile connection for their home instead of landline connections to save money (so I wanna see those MIRAGE virtual worlds in vr that was mentioned a few posts above where everybody plays while connected to the internet with billions of people and all of this the size of NYC) and live in studio flat where they don't want messy cables all over the place. I'm not saying that vr won't grow or improve, but it still far away (at least 2 or 3 generations) before having the things some people described here or before it gets really mainstream. But hey, keep preaching and dismissing people who don't like vr and prefer regular flat experiences; people apparently can't have different tastes.

I bet not even from scientology there are people so dismissive of others peoples opinions/tastes. Literally all that vr zealots said in this topic was: "you are being clouded by motion sickness", "if you don't like it, you haven't tried it", "we will SOON live in vr worlds", "virtual avatars are indistinguable from real people or local/couch play" and similar sentences. But I'm out, i don't really wanna fight. I'm stopping posting and just go other threads.

Last edited:

Romulus

No, with current psvr you are not looking straight at object. You are looking at blurry mess while having an heavy object on your head..

Huh? My gf weighs 115lbs and she wears it for hours at a time playing superhot and Creed. Zero complaints about weight ever. My nephew weighs less than that, same thing. I've actually never heard that one. I think you're grasping at anything to slam this thing. to make your point. You don't like, we get it, you don't think people should be passionate about it. Fine. Yet you're investing all this energy into something you could care less about? The more this goes on, the more revealing it is when you bring up things like "it's heavy."

You have to ask yourself though, why? Why is it continuing to sell steadily while the attach rate for software remains high. As someone who has demoed it hundreds of times, the sales are only going to increase as more people try it and the tech improves. As of this year, I'd say less than 2% of the people that demoed mine had even tried VR. It's not going anywhere, all the big players are reinvesting in VR even after all the supposed doom and gloom numbers, they're still throwing billions on the table. The way you played games before VR is about to take a hit. It won't overtake it, but you'll have to deal with great talent behind shifted over to VR.

Last edited:
I'm not saying that vr won't grow or improve, but it still far away (at least 2 or 3 generations) before having the things some people described here or before it gets really mainstream.
Based on what? This is a guess thrown out randomly. I have looked at almost all R&D going into VR from just about all companies. I can tell you right now that a lot of these things are likely to happen with one more generation.

To sum up what the Oculus Rift 2 is trying to attempt, it's as follows:
  • 4k X 4k per eye. More than enough resolution to ever be an issue again.
  • 140 degree FoV. Not human level, but a considerable (50%) increase.
  • Eye-tracking, facial-tracking, hand-tracking, body tracking, potentially at a level that mimics real humans, but that is still up in the air.
  • Foveated Rendering to cut 95% of the pixels out of rendering, enabling unprecedented levels of performance and graphics capability.
  • Variable focus with varifocal displays.
  • High quality mixed reality reconstruction to scan the real world.
  • Wireless.
  • Inside-out tracking.
  • Smaller form factor, more comfortable.
  • Personal HRTF audio so audio conforms to your bone structure, enabling audio that sounds lifelike, though is a riskier prediction.
If that is achieved, then it fixes the following: visual quality, narrow field of view, floating hands in games, difficulty of setup, wires, headaches / eye-strain (almost entirely gone), isolation issues, inability to see food/drink/other objects, graphics downgrade, comfort.
It also enables you to start truly using VR for computing and media consumption. If I want to watch Netflix with my buddies across the world, I could put on a headset in seconds and use my bare hands + eyes to easily navigate menus instead of picking up controllers, and the quality wouldn't be far off matching a real IMAX theater. It enables the ability to socialize at a very human level with that level of tracking, and would let me very easily visit a friend's real life house in 60 seconds no matter where they live in the world.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

VR still the tech you want your neighbor to own.

And to put PSVR sales into perspective:

The Wii U sold ~13 million in ~4 1/2 years.

PSVR sold ~4.2 million in ~2 1/2 years.

Last edited:
VR still the tech you want your neighbor to own.

And to put PSVR sales into perspective:

The Wii U sold ~13 million in ~4 1/2 years.

PSVR sold ~4.2 million in ~2 1/2 years.
This perspective does not work. Wii U is an 8th generation console. PSVR is a 1st generation headset.

Compare Wii U sales when we're on 8th gen headsets.

And to be honest, by the time we're on 8th generation headsets, these things should logically be selling at the rate of iPhones, not at the rate of consoles because they are a much wider ranging technology than an entertainment platform.

Last edited:
Top Bottom