• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 - Early Impressions (PC Performance Issues)

Stalk

I played it at EGX this year and I, and my friends, found it to be really choppy. Shame.

I will pick up eventually. The first was fun.

Anno

I was told to be prepared for a patch that I would need to download before playing, but nothing about a day 1 9gb patch. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

Interesting. So still wait and see, I guess. Thanks for the impressions though, you've made me somehow even more excited for the game.

Dmax3901

Interesting. So still wait and see, I guess. Thanks for the impressions though, you've made me somehow even more excited for the game.

It's a testament to how good the game itself is that I'm super keen to play around and explore Karnaca, despite all the fiddling I've had to do.

Here are some shots, PNG on abload, but also with adaptive resolution to 100, which I think was the main issue before lol.

dishonored22016-11-10mqpd0.png

dishonored22016-11-10u9o7h.png

dishonored22016-11-10iyrcx.png

dishonored22016-11-10ceodh.png

dishonored22016-11-1015qrh.png

Ugh, sorry, never used that site before.

chaosaeon

I think I've seen 100 times the amount of complaints vs positive opinions about idtech and yet they still based a "new" engine off of it. What was the point ? Same crap Skyrim did calling that one Gamebryo or whatever it was and it was still more or less the same old trash engine as before. I'm aware bethesda publishes one and develops the other, just a funny coincidence looking at games that are both visually not at the top of the industry while also having performance issues with bethesda's name somewhere. Fallout, too. Dishonored 1 ran fine, but it was nowhere near a technically impressive game, it just had great art making up for it. Is it that much cheaper to make up a "new" engine and not just use a better one ?
Edit : oh wait wasn't there something about one of the people that were attached to the engine refusing to stop using it because they created it and force everyone there to beat it like a dead horse and keep reusing it ?

Tunahead

It will be nice to have the Outsider acknowledge my super power abstinence this time round. It was a pretty cool self-imposed challenge in Dishonored, but completely immersion-breaking when the Outsider was like "Here's all your magic and shit" and then Corvo just ran around shooting people with a crossbow.

I think I've seen 100 times the amount of complaints vs positive opinions about idtech and yet they still based a "new" engine off of it. What was the point ? Same crap Skyrim did calling that one Gamebryo or whatever it was and it was still more or less the same old trash engine as before. I'm aware bethesda publishes one and develops the other, just a funny coincidence looking at games that are both visually not at the top of the industry while also having performance issues with bethesda's name somewhere. Fallout, too. Dishonored 1 ran fine, but it was nowhere near a technically impressive game, it just had great art making up for it.

For me, I consider it a good thing that Arkane focused on their art design. I feel the industry is too obsessed about technical stuff in graphics.

Dishonored 2 will not be impressive technically compared to Uncharted 4 or The Order 1886, and that's completely fine.

Dat id Tech 5 MegaTexture quality. Looks better than Dishonored 1 at least.

Yeah, the texture quality is terrible here. OP, how much VRAM you got?

edit: 4GB - I wonder if that is a limiting factor given how VRAM hungry idtech 5 was in a game like Wolfentstein.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Can someone share how to use a VPN for early unlocking? I'm off work sick today and I could use some fun.

Ruff

Wait, I didn't know D2 used Idtech.... God damn I consistently find that engine to give the ugliest visuals combined with shoddy performance.

They shoulda stuck with UE, it looked just as good and ran well in my case.

murgo

I'm playing through the Brigmore Witches DLC at this very moment, as soon as I'm done I'll try using my VPN to unlock the game.

I hope this runs decently with my 1070.

Corpekata

Banned
VPNing has been weird ever since the push of the 2FA Steam Guard. I got it working before with Mafia 3 by disabling 2FA temporarily and some other fiddling I'm forgetting about, but it's much more of a hassle these days.

Edit:

What worked last time was:

Disabled 2FA. Tunnelbear VPN (well, tried a bunch, but this was ultimately the victor). Switched DL region to New Zealand. Rebooted PC made sure Steam was set to not start with Windows so I could manually start it after VPN, but it didn't work right away. I tried it randomly like 30 minutes later and suddenly Tunnelbear worked.

Well, not now, at least, it's not out anywhere yet. 40 minutes still. So you might as well wait a bit.
Wish they'd use a countdown or something. I was under the impression it was unlocking at 6am, so now I'm sitting here in Australia for the next 37 minutes.

Corpekata

Banned
Even so, I'm not able to connect to steam at all with the VPN. I'd have liked to have it figured out before then.

Ah. Well, if it's flat out not connecting, it might be the VPN at fault, the issue most people have is that it will connect but not trick Steam, it'll think you're still where you're actually from.

I'd try tunnelbear or flyVPN (Fly is 3 times a day though so you'd be wasting an attempt) and see if they give you the same error.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
We've still 30mins to wait, but:

Steps, for those unfamiliar:

1) Log out of the Steam mobile app and change your password via the the desktop client
1) Download and install FlyVPN (20-minute session limit) TunnelBear (500MB data limit), VPN Gate (no hard limits) or VyprVPN (500MB bandwidth limit).
3) Connect to a server in Australia, New Zealand or Asia
4) Restart Steam (if you're logged in)
5) Unlock the game
6, optional) Switch to Offline Mode to preserve the "Play" button as it will revert back to "Pre-load" once you're no longer connected to the VPN (even if you disconnect mid-game, you won't be booted out)

The aforementioned session limits may be too restrictive, so I'd recommend VPN Gate instead.

Edit: Oh, wait, VPN Gate is part of the bunch. So, yeah, that.

Yonafunu

Looking at those screenshots, Dishonored 2 on Low looks almost identical to the first game, which is oddly charming.

killroy87

I played it recently at Paris Games Week, and it was super rough there (PC version). They generally like to bring beefy PCs to shows to pimp their games, but this was clearly running at medium-high settings, and was chugging pretty bad. i attributed it to old code, but it did seem odd as the game was so close to release.

Coreda

And here are just some shots I took of Karnaca at max settings, 20fps be damned.

:/ Looks very smeary/blurry, texture wise. Lighting and art direction obviously lovely but looks like something is wrong. Hopefully more memory is the solution.

Pre-release screenshots (obviously downsampled but still show crisper texture fidelity):

Unpacking now. ~12 min to go.

Sli 1080 gtx/ 6600k @ 4.5ghz. Will report on performance. (Assuming only one 1080 will be utilized)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
unpacking, not seeing a day 1 patch.

Because it's transparent (even though it shouldn't be). Steam's unpacking process doesn't tell you that it's updating the data prior to unpacking, which is why the initial completion time is inordinately high and soon drops down to something more reasonable.

Justinian

I played a pre-release version of this game at an expo a month ago and it was nigh on unplayable at 1080p running on juiced up i7 GTX 1080 rigs.

I was hopeful that they could radically optimize before launch but that hope is evaporating fast. Oh well, at least I can refund on Steam if it runs like shit.

Top Bottom