• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 |OT| The Edge of the World

I'm like 95% certain that the DLC
will have Billie as a playable character, with Daud factoring in somehow.

How is this still even a question? It's
RIGHT THERE in the epilogue, and that "mysterious figure" is so obviously Daud...
I mean... the first time I saw that I was like, "oh cool, we're getting
a Billie and or Daud
DLC! Nice!"

I don't know what else the DLC could possibly focus on.

Here's something some people might have already tried: If you pickpocket Jindosh's pistol and then stand somewhere he can't reach, he'll throw imaginary rocks at you indefinitely.

On PS4, anyone else getting crashes since the patch? I've had two today, both while the game was either autosaving or quicksaving (so at least no progress loss).

... Spoke too soon; the second crash corrupted my quicksave :(

How is this still even a question? It's
RIGHT THERE in the epilogue, and that "mysterious figure" is so obviously Daud...
I mean... the first time I saw that I was like, "oh cool, we're getting
a Billie and or Daud
DLC! Nice!"

My entire post was about how it's really not a question...

d00d3n

Can I keep the rune/bonecharm progress of one character when starting new game plus with the other character? Asking because I uninstalled the game after completing the story with Corvo for the first time, but I am tempted to play again with a fully specced Emily.

Can I keep the rune/bonecharm progress of one character when starting new game plus with the other character? Asking because I uninstalled the game after completing the story with Corvo for the first time, but I am tempted to play again with a fully specced Emily.

Yes. (Although you don't keep bonecharms just bonecharm traits.)

Chitown B

And each blueprint you get that you already had gets you 200 coins.

This is great, going for the 60% cash achievement.

What's the best way to go about NG+? breaking down all bone charms and making runes? Any way to carry over money in a roundabout way? I assume not since the only thing you get is Runes.

Chitown B

Very satisfying, but the non-lethal solution is infinitely more savage. He's probably better off being dead, haha.

For my lethal run, I shot him from afar with an incendiary bolt. Just sat there burning, and the clockwork soldier didn't even notice. lol

chrixter

I completed my Flesh and Steel run in 2 hours just slaughtering everything as I sprinted to the main objectives. The combat is robust and fun enough that Dishonored 2 holds up even as a pure first-person action game. Something I hadn't realized on my previous playthroughs was just how much pistol ammo the game throws at you.

Really? How do I check the traits I have? I didn't realize that.

You use the traits in bonecharm crafting. So they don't just become passive traits or anything, you have to re-craft the bonecharms you want on NG+. Which is a bit of a bummer, because it means you need a bunch of raw whalebone first. Also, black and cursed bonecharms don't carry over (which really stinks because some of the best bonecharms are the black ones).

Chitown B

You use the traits in bonecharm crafting. So they don't just become passive traits or anything, you have to re-craft the bonecharms you want on NG+. Which is a bit of a bummer, because it means you need a bunch of raw whalebone first. Also, black and cursed bonecharms don't carry over (which really stinks because some of the best bonecharms are the black ones).

wait so you keep the bonecharm "trait" material on NG+? I didn't notice that. Interesting.

valkyre

Guys without any spoilers or specifics, is there a preference as to which character to choose for my first playthrough?

Thanks

Guys without any spoilers or specifics, is there a preference as to which character to choose for my first playthrough?

Thanks

I'd recommend Emily for a first playthrough, as the story feels built more around her and her powers are really great.

You can't really go wrong with either, though.

I really love the design of the Grand Palace. It has a nice modernist feel to it, yet it fits to the southern tropical setting of Karnaca

So here's a funny story. On mission 8, I spotted a guard sitting on ledge just above the dining room (You know, the one outside the room itself). So I shot him with a sleep dart before he could seem me and then he fell to the ground and died. After that, I pulled his sorry dead ass with Far Reach and put him on the sofa.

It may not be the most hilarious story, but it gave me a few laughs.

Chitown B

Question about the paintings for the achievement in Mission 7:

If I change the timeline so the present is OK, can I still get the painting that is on the collapsed balcony? Curious if it would still be collapsed.

I just did a quick and incredibly bloody run on NG+ (Emily) but I can't actually end my game.
I either save my father or take the throne, either way, the screen fades to black, music plays, wind howls but then....nothing.... no epilogue about what a horrible world I've left behind. :(

I was hoping to NG++ after this. Can I still do that? Or do I need to have been to the credits for that to "count". I'd be bloody miffed if the latter. My NG++ would have a tonne of runes for me to start out with. :(

How is PC performance currently holding up? I have a GTX 970 and 1080p monitor. I was thinking about picking this game up, but I heard all the bad performance problems that plagued the game at launch.

Anno

How is PC performance currently holding up? I have a GTX 970 and 1080p monitor. I was thinking about picking this game up, but I heard all the bad performance problems that plagued the game at launch.

On my 970 on high I'm at 60 most of the time with some wavering down into the 50s. Haven't yet found a place with truly awful performance since the last patch. And all my mouse complaints are resolved too. It's still not an amazing port by any means but it's good enough given how great the game is, at least IMO.

Finished it after 23 hours of my first play through (I restarted a few times, so that's why it's 43 hours played on Steam)

It's hyperbolic, but It's fair to say it's my GOTY. What an amazing game. Arkane did a terrific job.

Moff

I finally decided to play it seriously after the pc performance problems.

as a disclaimer, I am somwhat soured by these issues so my verdict is surely influenced by that

Dishonored 1 was my favorite new franchise of the last gen, I finished it three times in a row and loved every minute. I played it as stealth killer, as an action game and as a ghost.

Sadly, Dishonored 2 is a big disappointment for me.
My first run is with emily as a stealth killer. I think the stealth mechanics are really bad in this game. It's too hard to survey an area without getting spotted, and you get spotted fast. I wonder if anyone could finish this as a stealth game the first time, without knowing where the enemies were and had fun with it. I reload a lot, really a lot. And I am someone who loves and extensively plays stealth games since tenchu and thief.

Now I am aware that DH2 is not a pure stealth game, it's meant to be played as a mix, but DH1 still worked as a stealth game, like Deus Ex it offered both ways and was perfectly enjoyable as a pure stealth game. I don't feel DH2 offers the same. The level design and art design is stellar, though. No doubt.

Anyone had similar experiences or maybe some advice even?

I initially wanted to do a second playthrough as corvo as a pure ghost/no kills run, but I am not sure I'll have the patience for that.

I finally decided to play it seriously after the pc performance problems.

as a disclaimer, I am somwhat soured by these issues so my verdict is surely influenced by that

Dishonored 1 was my favorite new franchise of the last gen, I finished it three times in a row and loved every minute. I played it as stealth killer, as an action game and as a ghost.

Sadly, Dishonored 2 is a big disappointment for me.
My first run is with emily as a stealth killer. I think the stealth mechanics are really bad in this game. It's too hard to survey an area without getting spotted, and you get spotted fast. I wonder if anyone could finish this as a stealth game the first time, without knowing where the enemies were and had fun with it. I reload a lot, really a lot. And I am someone who loves and extensively plays stealth games since tenchu and thief.

Now I am aware that DH2 is not a pure stealth game, it's meant to be played as a mix, but DH1 still worked as a stealth game, like Deus Ex it offered both ways and was perfectly enjoyable as a pure stealth game. I don't feel DH2 offers the same. The level design and art design is stellar, though. No doubt.

Anyone had similar experiences or maybe some advice even?

I initially wanted to do a second playthrough as corvo as a pure ghost/no kills run, but I am not sure I'll have the patience for that.

Hm, I felt like Dishonored 2 gave you so many more interesting ways to approach stealth than the first. For Emily, Domino, Mesmerize, and Shadow Walk all worked exceptionally well for a stealthy approach. For Corvo, Bend Time and Possession also work very well. And if your stealthy approach is also non-lethal the game is definitely superior to the first in that regard as well. (I know people usually combine stealth with non-lethal, but playing a stealthy lethal character actually works really well, especially if you combine it with shadow kill. Linking 4 enemies together and then having them all disappear in a puff of smoke, nobody the wiser is really great.)

The AI could probably use some improvements, though. Getting spotted (especially on higher difficulties) is definitely way too quick, and it could use more shadow mechanics.

Ultimately I found the game a lot more fun playing as a non-stealthy assault character though, so I'd honestly recommend giving that a try rather than immediately going for a ghost playthrough.

The AI could use some improvements, but I really like they don't joke around during combat (Especially the officer guards)

Nevertheless, I hope we see some AI improvements in the January update or at least change the AI settings with custom difficulty settings

Hale-XF11

I think I'm gonna do what someone suggested earlier and speed run for the flesh and steel trophy. After playing slowly and methodically for so long, I just want to tear through it and see how quickly I can finish the game without powers.

I think I'm gonna do what someone suggested earlier and speed run for the flesh and steel trophy. After playing slowly and methodically for so long, I just want to tear through it and see how quickly I can finish the game without powers.

It should take about 3-5 hours, IIRC.

Oh, and can I say how much I love Sands of Serkonos? I find it a much better credits song than Honor For All

Hale-XF11

Just got it for Christmas! Super stoked. Didn't realize that it came with the first one remastered. Should I play the first one beforehand?

Also, what're the general impressions? Saw it one a GOTY and heard good(?) things about the level design?

Yes, yes you should, it's awesome I just beat it.

For people who bought the LE and already had the original game for the PC... If I redeem my code for the DLC which I don't already have, will it let me gift the original game, or will two different versions show up in my library?

Just got it for Christmas! Super stoked. Didn't realize that it came with the first one remastered. Should I play the first one beforehand?

Also, what're the general impressions? Saw it one a GOTY and heard good(?) things about the level design?

I definitely recommend playing the first, it's really great!

General impressions on the 2nd are that it's really great (performance issues notwithstanding). The story could have used a bit more work, but the world is incredibly well done. And yes, the level design is some of the best out there.

I definitely recommend playing the first, it's really great!

General impressions on the 2nd are that it's really great (performance issues notwithstanding). The story could have used a bit more work, but the world is incredibly well done. And yes, the level design is some of the best out there.

So should I play the first before the 2nd?

getbuff

Neo Member
It almost feels like this game actively discourages stealth play... I'm coming off the Last of Us (not a particularly easy stealth game) and Dishonoured feels like torture. It's way too unforgiving to the point where I'm not really having fun.

Rymuth

Finished. Played low chaos Corvo

Gonna trade it in .

Real odd but I really dug Dishonored 1...yet the storyline and the level design in this one never clicked with me.

Dalibor68

Banned
Made it to the dust district today, went right away to the door, paused, grabbed pen&paper and took an hour to figure out the riddles(and damn I love riddles like that), went inside but wanted to go back because I wanted to grab alle the runes & bonecharms first but somehow that subchapter was already completed and when going back through the door all the runes etc had vanished >.>

It almost feels like this game actively discourages stealth play... I'm coming off the Last of Us (not a particularly easy stealth game) and Dishonoured feels like torture. It's way too unforgiving to the point where I'm not really having fun.

I don't see it that way. On one hand, the AI can detect you in an instant (Leading to some frustrating . On the other hand, at least they aren't dumb as rocks as in Dishonored 1.

You could play it stealthily but still kill people (Domino and Mesmerize are your best friends). A common misconception is that stealth for a lot of people is not killing enemies while trying to stay hidden.

Non-lethal drop and slide assassinations are a big help as well

Moff

A common misconception is that stealth for a lot of people is not killing enemies while trying to stay hidden.

how is that a misconception? it's literally the definition of stealth

I agree that domino and mesmerize are useful skills, but there are still plenty of enemies around. maybe the reason for that is high chaos, but I still dread a stealth/no kill run as corvo. I'll see how it goes. My goal is definitely the shadow achievement.

how is that a misconception? it's literally the definition of stealth

I agree that domino and mesmerize are useful skills, but there are still plenty of enemies around. maybe the reason for that is high chaos, but I still dread a stealth/no kill run as corvo. I'll see how it goes. My goal is definitely the shadow achievement.

For me, Dishonored is the kind of games where its more fun to mix up playstyles or try to be inventive as possible.

I agree that saying its a misconception was wrong, but for me, doing a full ghost run only brings up more frustration than usual (But hey, we all got our preferences).

Wonderful game. Though I have to say I'm disappointed with the Outsider's new voice. I don't think it was as good as the original.

Come to think of it, the Outsider has been a letdown in this game, to be honest.

Wonderful game. Though I have to say I'm disappointed with the Outsider's new voice. I don't think it was as good as the original.

Come to think of it, the Outsider has been a letdown in this game, to be honest.

I was coming here to say the exact same thing. Started the game yesterday and the new voice is definitely a disappointment. I have two more complaints though.

First is the dark vision, why do I need to keep reactivating it all the time? What's the point? I don't remember if it was like this in the previous game but I really can't see the logic behind it.

The other one is the runes/bonecharms markers. You can barely see them in a bright area when you take the heart out.

But the game has been amazing so far, it just has some minor problems that can be annoying sometimes.

Dalibor68

Banned
So about stiltons manor

Am I the only one getting really tired of this "timeshift" mechanic? It's like this year suddenly they all thought of this with Titanfall 2, this and another game I can't remember atm as well as that low-budget movie tie-in timeshifting game from this year or 2015

So about stiltons manor

Am I the only one getting really tired of this "timeshift" mechanic? It's like this year suddenly they all thought of this with Titanfall 2, this and another game I can't remember atm as well as that low-budget movie tie-in timeshifting game from this year or 2015

Not really. Dishonored 2 pulled it off so well I didn't see the time travel aspect as a problem.

I dare say A Crack in The Slab is one of the best levels in this game. Maybe this year as well.

So about stiltons manor

Not at all, DH2 did it really really well.

Just finished my chaos play through as Corvo.

As far as canon
I hope Emily low chaos is canon

I think this game is AWESOME. Going to take a break now though before I play it again.

edit: I thought we were getting chapter select or is that in a future update?

Top Bottom