• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOA4 = 60k, X360 = 10k, X360 total < 100k (in Japan)

neo2046

it seems DOA 4 also cannot help X360 to boost in Japan

http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/entry-10007726816.html
Shinobi reports that around 60,000 copies of DOA 4 are sold in Japan
during the same period around 10,000 X360 are sold
over half of the DOA4 buyers have already bought X360 before DOA4 on sale
and the total units of X360 hardware sold in Japan are less than 100,000

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Man, this japan thing really must fuck microsoft off :lol

Do you think they forcast this level of disinterest from Japan when they first got into the business?

Excelion

Banned
doesn't compute with my neurons dedicaced to logic and mathematics. "over half" maybe isn't the right term, or something is wrong.

jarrod

Banned
:(

360 launch was totally bungled. They really needed DOA4 on day one and stuff like SSM5 Special, N3, ~em~, Tengai Makyo Ziria by year's end, with games like Dead Rising, Chrome Hounds and Blue Dragon following soon in the spring. They also really could used expanding Live Arcade a bit for Japan, with classic SEGA/Namco/Konami/Capcom/Taito/SNK games galore and maybe newer low key stuff like Lumines, Katamari or Exit on it. Actually, I think Live Arcade would be a fantastic outlet for Japanese PSP developers to "double dip" in general.

Borys

Banned
champagne-cork-popping-flying-water-liquid-drops-on-blue-AJHD.jpg

Koren

Excelion said:
doesn't compute with my neurons dedicaced to logic and mathematics. "over half" maybe isn't the right term, or something is wrong.
Over one quarter bought it without a XBox 360... It works :)

Wether they bought if for the manual or tried to put it in their PS2, I can't tell...

quetz67

Banned
I was wrong, I thought DOA4 would triples xbox 360 hardware sales. Luckily the fate of x360 will only be decided when Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey are out.

ToxicAdam

People will want to blame MS, but I don't see what they could have done different.

They came out first, with a good product at a nice price. Titles (and future titles) that the Japanese would want and apparantly alot of advertising. But none of it mattered.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
ToxicAdam said:
People will want to blame MS, but I don't see what they could have done different.

They came out first, with a good product at a nice price. Titles (and future titles) that the Japanese would want and apparantly alot of advertising. But none of it mattered.

Which ones?

maskrider

Koren said:
Over one quarter bought it without a XBox 360... It works :)

Wether they bought if for the manual or tried to put it in their PS2, I can't tell...

I had almost bought it without the 360 because of the first batch bonus stuffs (I am still waiting for the official local release of the 360, probably Feb), but I held off after seeing the game in action (running in 720p on a HD LCD display).

Redbeard

Banned
ToxicAdam said:

But they didn't really have anything at launch aside from RR6.

I think the 360 will outsell Xbox by a large margin over time as long as they can keep delivering games like Blue Dragon and not have long periods where there is simply nothing to buy and nothing to look forward to. As long as there's something big either out or on the horizon it will give people a reason to consider buying.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
360 sales were clearly helped by DOA4's release in the short while that it was out. Next week, it should decent, especially with the great word of mouth DOA4 has been getting. Not quite the system seller, but still a nice game to have early on.

D3VI0US

ToxicAdam said:

Get your head out of your ass.

ToxicAdam

DarienA said:
Which ones?

In the launch window, DOA4 and RR. Then you have others (that jarrod) mentioned alongside FF MMORPG and 99 Nights etc etc.

That's obviously just speculation on my part. I know what the Japanese public wants about as much as MS does (although I'm not losing billions of dollars taking guesses).

D3VI0US said:
Get your head out of your ass.

What could they have done different?

duckroll

ToxicAdam said:

O RLY?!

They came out first

The PS2 is already out! :lol

with a good product at a nice price.

A buggy product which costs more than the PS2! :lol

Titles (and future titles) that the Japanese would want

Like? There aren't even many titles that ANYONE wants, I doubt the Japanese are different. :lol

Meanwhile in the same launch window, the PS2 had Rogue Galaxy, Ryu ga Gotoku, Kingdom Hearts 2, Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence, Wanda and the Colossus, Front Mission 5, etc. With so many awesome triple A games coming out at the same time for a console most people ALREADY HAVE, who has money or time for a NEW console with a weak lineup?

and apparantly alot of advertising. But none of it mattered.

No, it all mattered. It all mattered in making the Japanese realize that the Xbox360 at this point of time is a complete waste of time.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
The thing is, x360 penetration rate is way too low to build a strong userbase before PS3 and Revolution launch. And we all know what will happen when these 2 are unleashed in Japan.

Sunski

I think it was a flop with everyone except the hardcore gamers, and I'm talking worldwide too. I was surprised to find some casual gaming mates of mine had queued up to buy one on UK launch and both are now moaning that it is gathering dust. One of them doesn't like racing (bye bye PGR3) and is enjoying Call of Duty, but he got PDZ as well and hated that and has now literally swapped if for every game in the XBox library looking for something else to play, and now he has ended up with Tiger Woods that he sees as the best of a bad bunch.

Now any hardcore gamers I know that have bought one seem to think it is great.

ToxicAdam

duckroll said:
O RLY?!

The PS2 is already out! :lol

A buggy product which costs more than the PS2! :lol

Like? There aren't even many titles that ANYONE wants, I doubt the Japanese are different. :lol

Meanwhile in the same launch window, the PS2 had Rogue Galaxy, Ryu ga Gotoku, Kingdom Hearts 2, Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence, Wanda and the Colossus, Front Mission 5, etc. With so many awesome triple A games coming out at the same time for a console most people ALREADY HAVE, who has money or time for a NEW console with a weak lineup?

No, it all mattered. It all mattered in making the Japanese realize that the Xbox360 at this point of time is a complete waste of time.

I wonder how trolling like this is allowed. When did this place turn into Gamefaqs?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
ToxicAdam said:
In the launch window, DOA4 and RR. Then you have others mention alongside FF MMORPG and 99 Nights etc etc.

... I don't know... maybe launched with more than 1 game the Japanese wanted, maybe follow up with more than 1 more game the Japanese wanted?

duckroll

ToxicAdam said:
I wonder how trolling like this is allowed. When did this place turn into Gamefaqs?

If you think comparing the Xbox360 with the PS2 is trolling, then you REALLY have no idea what the Japanese are actually saying about the Xbox360. :lol

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
ToxicAdam said:
You didn't get it, it was funny and not so far from truth.

Geoff9920

I've always thought MS's chance of being successful(at all) in japan have always been with how well the mistwalker games do. I don't really expect much in terms of sales before the mistwalker games are released.

gconsole

Dr_Cogent said:
How large of a market is Japan anyhow compared to NA?

it's like if NA market size is 10 then JP is 7

Japan VS NA

PS2 - 20 M VS 37.14 M
DS - 5.3 M VS 4 M
PSP - 2.7 M VS 4 M
GC - 3.7 M VS 11 M
Xbox - 0.5 M VS 13 M <--- :D

The best selling console game in japan - DQ7 = 4.2 M
The best selling console game in NA - GTA:VC = 5.4 M

ThirdEye

ToxicAdam said:
In the launch window, DOA4 and RR. Then you have others (that jarrod) mentioned alongside FF MMORPG and 99 Nights etc etc.
What? Fighting game is an outdated genre in Japan and who cares about RR when you can get PGR3 later. FF11 is as bad as the PS2 version in terms of frame drop, 99 Nights is an unknown DW ripoff.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
ToxicAdam said:
They could have started by not going after fool's gold with the worldwide launch, staggered things out a bit more and let Japan follow at least 2 months after the North American launch, allowing for more 360s to be allocated to NA during this time of heaviest demand and, in so doing, allowing a couple more months for Japanese software to be readied for a more solid and compelling launch lineup over there.

nightez

Banned
ToxicAdam said:

I disagree none of the launch titles would have even vaguely interested the Japanese. Maybe Kameo but thats about it.

jarrod

Banned
Yeah, I'm starting to think a Feb/March JP launch with a good 5-6 high profile games would've been preferable to what we got. It'd be closer to PS3 but I don't think that matters really, no JP consumers are going to choose 360 over PS3, it'll be at best in addition to PS3.

It'd also have meant an extra 200k or so consoles for America/Europe in 2005.

maskrider

Geoff9920 said:
I've always thought MS's chance of being successful(at all) in japan have always been with how well the mistwalker games do. I don't really expect much in terms of sales before the mistwalker games are released.

The impact of DOA3 is pretty great with X-BOX, but the impact of DOA4 is not enough IMHO.

The upgrades are marginal comparing to DOAU at best IMHO (oh, and the boobies are still bouncing the same way as they was, i.e. only vertical relative to the body, even Rumble Roses or EVA in MGS3 on PS2 do it better, ha ha ha, please don't mind me for those who doesn't care).

ToxicAdam

kaching said:
They could have started by not going after fool's gold with the worldwide launch, staggered things out a bit more and let Japan follow at least 2 months after the North American launch, allowing for more 360s to be allocated to NA during this time of heaviest demand and, in so doing, allowing a couple more months for Japanese software to be readied for a more solid and compelling launch lineup over there.

Well, that's a really good point. That is something they should have done different.

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
quetz67 said:
I was wrong, I thought DOA4 would triples xbox 360 hardware sales. Luckily the fate of x360 will only be decided when Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey are out.
And after those possibly bomb it will be the new Cavia games or Cry On or some shit. It doesn't work that way.

They don't want it there for some reason, even if it has some good games. Basically Microsoft has to start putting out the brand again now with the 360, because it'll be the first Xbox to get decent Japanese titles that would possibly interest people. It will take more then 5 generations of consoles with consistently good games for their market for Xbox to win over Japan. Or something on that general gist.

OR play reverse psychology, don't release it there at all and see them beg and weep. :D

quetz67

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:
How large of a market is Japan anyhow compared to NA?
It is not accurate, but roughly NA 40%, Europe 30%, Japan 20% and the rest of the world 10%.

It depends on the platform, the above numbers are quite OK for PS2, but sure not for the Wonderswan.

Not much wrong, but IMO they should have just not tried. They will loose a good amount of money in Japan. They still say they get some software support (FF) only because they try.

I think their biggest mistake was to believe they learned from xbox and their experience would help them with xbox 360 (like smaller controllers, mory stylish design not looking like a childs coffin). But it is hard to launch a successor to a console thats seen as failure. Like a Lynx II (a real one) wouldnt have had more chance than the Lynx, even being much better.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
jarrod said:
Yeah, I'm starting to think a Feb/March JP launch with a good 5-6 high profile games would've been preferable to what we got.
I agree, the way they handled this launch they only made themselves look bad to begin with. But even if DOA4 was there on time, it's still only 1 title.

I figure DS insanity probably hurt them as well - but noone saw that coming anyway.

AirBrian

Shiggy said:
Peter Moore: 'In Japan we sold more Xbox 360s than Sony their PlayStation 3 worldwide'

:lol
:lol :lol

ToxicAdam, I think I know what you're trying to say, but you're just not being very clear. MS did design it better and kept the controller smaller (and wireless). All good things. However, they could've easily delayed it a bit to have it launch with games Japan actually cares about. Ridge Racer is not going to carry the otherwise abysmal launch lineup. And delaying it would have freed up additional inventory for the botched North American launch as well.

EDIT: Just to be clear, the 360 still has Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey that could push some hardware. But it'll be interesting to see how Japan responds after the 360 has a handful of good games with the stereotypical Japanese appeal.

Dave Long

Banned
They really should've waited. If the economy really is so global, then waiting would have created some pent up demand in Japan as they would have at least had time to see the success of the system here in the US and in Europe. That might have sold a few more Japanese that are looking at world news and definitely more of the Internet crowd.

It also would've given MS time to work out all the bugs we're ALL dealing with all over the world now with game save problems and whatnot. I'm sure that's not helping in Japan any either. People have to know about the Dead or Alive 4 save bug over there just like here.

bigNman

lets face it the only way x360 will have any major success in Japan is if it gets final fantasy or dragon quest exclusive. And the chances of that are getting smaller and smaller.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Ridge Racer 6, Kameo, PGR3, DOA4, e[M]chant Arm, and FFXI for its 1st wave in Japan is not bad for the 360...

Blue Dragon, NNN, W11 Soccer, Lost Oddyssey, RE5, Live Arcade, etc. could be good attention grabbers as well. I think once the 360 has over 6 "good" games, then Japanese gamers will start to take notice, at least.

Top Bottom