• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

GuessWho

finished it and absolutely loved it. I had no idea what that red bomb does? don't remember the name. I mostly used the frag grenade anyways.
Can someone explain it to me?

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Out actively destroying demons and potentially save lives rather than making his brain soft and heart weak.
Someone needs to make a video showing a demon shouting THE FUCK IS THIS followed by Doomguy yelling YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE BUTTHORN!

CHC

Nightmare where possible, ultra otherwise.
I have 16GB of DDR4 (2400) RAM. How much would nightmare even need? Furthermore, there is literally not a single moment where the game drops below 60fps

Yeah put your textures on Ultra, not Nightmare.

a) Nightmare is possibly-maybe-sorta bugged and seems to crash all the time
b) All it does is use more VRAM, the actual texture quality is the same either way, you just might happen to see, if you're very unlucky, one or two slight instances of pop-in
c) Hardware isn't the issue. I have an 8 GB GTX 1070 and it still crashed all the time until I switched down to Ultra.

Just take it down one notch and the only difference you'll probably notice is less crashing. Good luck, hope it works.

Manu

So every single online mode that's not Team Deathmatch is dead, right?

I haven't even tried the other modes because I can never find a match.

BeeDog

Figured I'd try out the multiplayer mode, mainly to gather the two trophies. My Lord, the MP in this game is borderline rancid. Absurdly slow, terrible-feeling combat and hit feedback, small TDM maps and poor demon rune implementation.

It's insane how they nailed the single-player, but messed up the multi-player.

Moff

Figured I'd try out the multiplayer mode, mainly to gather the two trophies. My Lord, the MP in this game is borderline rancid. Absurdly slow, terrible-feeling combat and hit feedback, small TDM maps and poor demon rune implementation.

It's insane how they nailed the single-player, but messed up the multi-player.

what's even more insane is that they keep supporting the multiplayer with new content and dlc but nothing for single player.

whoever planned this had no idea which part of this game would be good and popular.

Just finished the game on Ultra-Violence after 20 hours or so, had a great time with it despite rarely playing shooters.

Are there any plans for new SP content?

ss_lemonade

The game (steam) stopped working for me all of a sudden :(. I wanted to continue playing on my laptop, tried launching it through Big Picture and noticed the game not starting. So I tried again outside Big Picture and it worked but now, I get a corrupted save error when loading up the Campaign mode. Tried running the game on my desktop and it won't even start up there anymore. Help!

EDIT:
The game worked after rebooting my computer but shit, I get the save corrupted message here too! Did my laptop just auto sync a broken profile over steam cloud?

BeeDog

Damn, Ultra-Nightmare is no joke. Took an endless number of attempts to nab the trophy by the end of the first stage but now it's done. Only the SnapMap trophies left and it's Platinum time. Awesome game.

Coxy100

Banned
Playing this at the mo - level 4 or 5 I think. Loving it!

Anyone else prefer the normal shotgun over the super shotgun? I know the super is more powerful - but then you miss out on health if you kill them too fast and also I waste ammo too quick with it....

Manu

Anyone else prefer the normal shotgun over the super shotgun? I know the super is more powerful - but then you miss out on health if you kill them too fast and also I waste ammo too quick with it....

Me. The regular shotgun also has the explosive shot.

HelloMeow

Yes, I like the grenade launcher on that thing.

Finally got around to finishing the campaign and man, what a great game this was. My only big complaint is how underwhelming I found the ending to be.

Ok, so I started this up tonight. Put a few hours in. I'm about to start the fourth level.

This game....wow. Probably the best thing I've played this year, so far. The character's movement speed is just perfect. This is probably the most enjoyable FPS I've played since Half-Life 2.

TheExodu5

Banned
Up to the 5th level now. I know it might be premature, but this is probably my favorite shooter ever. The mix of visuals, exploration, controls, and pure brutality make this a joy to play.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'm terrible at this and ended up lowering the difficulty. having way more fun now. i'm at the kadingir sanctum. i'm having trouble at one part, not sure where it is exactly, but the amount of strong enemies is overwhelming.

Manu

Relevant.

13700148_10208660938816213_3408334376845123520_n.jpg

Irminsul

Man, "Adaptive VSync" is the worst. I just left it on at first because I thought it to be, well, adaptive. I recognized some microstutter but just thought my ageing CPU (i7 2660K, but not OC'ed) wasn't up to snuff.

Now I deactivated VSync and the framerate is hovering between 75 fps in taxing areas and 90-140fps otherwise.

As to the game: man, haven't played such an addictive, fast-paced and simply fun FPS in ages. With maps that aren't linear corridors with a dozen cutscenes or so. Really, really great.

Ok, earlier I said this was the best FPS I've played since Half-Life 2.

Might have to walk that statement back. This is probably the best FPS I've played...period.

I'm absolutely floored at how good this is. I just finished the level where you acquire
the BFG
. Hopefully the rest of the game is as great as it's been up to this point .

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, earlier I said this was the best FPS I've played since Half-Life 2.

Might have to walk that statement back. This is probably the best FPS I've played...period.

I'm absolutely floored at how good this is. I just finished the level where you acquire
the BFG
. Hopefully the rest of the game is as great as it's been up to this point .

Spoiler regarding the game past the part you put in spoilers:
It is.

Beat this last night. I'm getting old because I found it tough in spots even on Normal (finished Doom 1 + 2 on UV).

Really fun game and a "pure" experience. Even the little bit of story was quite fun.

I don't absolutely love it like some people or as much as the rebooted Wolfenstein, but it is impressive to see Doom done right in the modern era.

It's funny how nostalgic seeing all of these old enemies brought back makes me. If you asked me what game has a great cast of characters I'd never say Doom, but as each one was introduced it made me smile and I knew each of their names...

Ogs

Built a PC to play Doom after all the hype.

Worth every god damned penny. This game deserves a mouse and KB to decimate hell's minions, its just so slick, like a satanic spawn ballet of death.

Actually enjoying the MP too !

Xion385

Hey guys,

I just upgraded to a 1070. I'm having issues of low texture models and levels not completely loading on Ultra settings. All my other games run fine except for Doom. Doom was fine when I still have my 970 and everything was on Ultra.

Anyone have encountered this before and have any solutions?

If you still have your physical copy of DOOM you might wanna head to your local Gamestop

They're offering a free special edition sleeve this week (While Supplies Last) and it resembles the original DOOM box art!

CoUZ8k0XYAE9_eU.jpg:large

If you still have your physical copy of DOOM you might wanna head to your local Gamestop

They're offering a free special edition sleeve this week (While Supplies Last) and it resembles the original DOOM box art!

CoUZ8k0XYAE9_eU.jpg:large

Holy smokes really? Id feel like an idiot if i just walked in there and asked for a free cover and left. I still cant find anything on their website.

Edit: Nevermind, i found this on ID Softwares twitter. Im totally doing this tomorrow.

Is upgrading armor recommended in SP? I have ammo fully maxed and health up to 150 and armor at 50. Seems like it goes away the moment you get hit and don't want to waste the upgrade

Just finished the game today for the first time.

Whoa boy was that fun! Easily the most fun and refreshing FPS game I've played in ages. Probably my favorite shooter since The New Order. Just the frantic and fast paced nature of the combat and the totally over the top nature of the gore and music made the game so much damn fun to play. And it looked and ran beautifully on my PC. Extra kudos for the fantastic mouse/keyboard controls- the game runs fast and the crispness of the controls makes the whole thing a joy to play on PC.

Haven't touched the MP but if they release a single player expansion, I'll be there day 1.

Is upgrading armor recommended in SP? I have ammo fully maxed and health up to 150 and armor at 50. Seems like it goes away the moment you get hit and don't want to waste the upgrade

It's not just that it goes away so much as the amount of armor each pickup is worth is so little you'll rarely get more than 100 outside of Mega Health. It doesn't hurt to upgrade it once you have a lot of ammo and 150 health though, and on playthroughs where you want to use Rich Get Richer, you'll need to upgrade it.

Top Bottom