• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dune: Part Two Started Filming Today

GTV1kGe.jpg

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Hnnnnnng

I need it now. Hope they've improved the fighting a bit. My one and only complaint about the first part.
Yeah, the impact of the shields left a lot to be desired. Without changing the concept, they need to find a way to capture that with a bit more intensity.

Kssio_Aug

I think the movie looked absolutely amazing, but the story was too rushed... I felt like it didn't have enough time to properly develop Leto and Jessica specially, also it wasn't capable of portraying the danger Sardaukar posed, and neither the importance of Hawat to the story. Still, I liked it a lot, and the atmosphere was crazy! And I really liked their depiction of the Baron.

That being said, I look forward to the 2nd movie, but I hope they're able to develop characters more calmly.

To anyone who enjoyed the movie and never read the books, please, do yourself a favor and read at least the first one. Such an amazing book! And after reading it I realized how much it influenced other great stories, such as The Matrix.

Last edited:
Still have to watch part 1 again. On a first watch the harvester scene was the only one that really worked for me. The brutal training scene with Gurney would be second. Got to the meat of it. Then Mapes altough I would have reshot or did some audio on the ecstatic scream to add spice.
The rest didn't stand out more than very pretty run of the mill set pieces.
Felt a bit too Star Wars and that wasn't anything Isaac brought over. It was the presentation.
Main complaint: Not enough Piter dialogue.

Look forward to this one.

Last edited:

Jsisto

Can’t wait. I hope they are able to at least get to Dune Messiah one day. I’ve been reading the books and just finished Children of Dune. Seeing the conclusion of all these character arcs was amazing and definitely subverts expectations set by the first book/movie. Masterpieces.

SJRB

Sheesh, finally. Can't wait, the first one was easily a top 3 cinematic experiences. Amazing visuals with incredible soundtrack, had an absolute great time.

The plan that I've heard from friends at WB is that he hopes to make Dune Messiah after Part Two and then move on to other projects, and the TV series Dune: The Sisterhood to follow that, and that will be made by the team behind HBO Chernobyl.

I was hoping he would do the rest of the Dune books but I understand why he doesn't want to. As for the guys doing the Dune Sisterhood show, that's great news since I loved Chernobyl.

ManaByte

The plan that I've heard from friends at WB is that he hopes to make Dune Messiah after Part Two and then move on to other projects, and the TV series Dune: The Sisterhood to follow that, and that will be made by the team behind HBO Chernobyl.

Sisterhood is based on the dogshit prequels.

They should just do the Paul arc as movies, and then the Leto II arc as a series on HBO Max, but instead they're rewarding Brian Herbert for writing garbage prequels,

drganon

The first new Dune movie was awesome, so I'm definitely looking forward to the sequel. In general Dune is pretty sweet. Even the somewhat cheesy lynch film and the sci-fi mini series with terrible cgi were enjoyable.

Billbofet

As stunning as the first one looked, I could not get into it. I'll give it another shot eventually.
It was one of those movies that took me five or six sittings to get through.

Fbh

Nice, really looking forward to this.

Hopefully it's successful enough we also get an adaptation of Dune Messiah so we really get the whole Paul storyline on the big screen.

I think the movie looked absolutely amazing, but the story was too rushed... I felt like it didn't have enough time to properly develop Leto and Jessica specially, also it wasn't capable of portraying the danger Sardaukar posed, and neither the importance of Hawat to the story. Still, I liked it a lot, and the atmosphere was crazy! And I really liked their depiction of the Baron.

That being said, I look forward to the 2nd movie, but I hope they're able to develop characters more calmly.

To anyone who enjoyed the movie and never read the books, please, do yourself a favor and read at least the first one. Such an amazing book! And after reading it I realized how much it influenced other great stories, such as The Matrix.

Yeah the movie was great for people who have read the book but I think it could have done a better job with the characters and worldbuilding for people who haven't.
Characters like Hawat are there but they don't explain what makes him special, they don't really show much of the state of the world, why spice is important, the political background, etc. Characters like Yueh and Kynes basically just show up for their 2 big scenes but we miss all the context that makes those scenes relevant, etc.

Having read the book I loved the movie but a lot of my friends who haven't were pretty lukewarm on it and I honestly can't blame them.

killatopak

I'm not familiar with the books but doesn't it have no ending? I recall wartching a video that says the author died before finishing the books.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Nice, really looking forward to this.

Hopefully it's successful enough we also get an adaptation of Dune Messiah so we really get the whole Paul storyline on the big screen.

Yeah the movie was great for people who have read the book but I think it could have done a better job with the characters and worldbuilding for people who haven't.
Characters like Hawat are there but they don't explain what makes him special, they don't really show much of the state of the world, why spice is important, the political background, etc. Characters like Yueh and Kynes basically just show up for their 2 big scenes but we miss all the context that makes those scenes relevant, etc.

Having read the book I loved the movie but a lot of my friends who haven't were pretty lukewarm on it and I honestly can't blame them.
I'm not sure how you would do it without some huge exposition dump. There is a lot of thought voice in the book that would be hard to translate to the screen. You'd probably need some voice-over or something.

Lady Jane

Banned

I've found that people who didn't like Dune: Part One, I generally disagree with their taste in movies. Some people don't like those tones in movies or slow paced. And that's fine. A big problem in the industry are movies that try to please everyone. Dune was a nice break.

They've pretty much confirmed that Part 2 is going to cover the 2nd half of Dune and Part 3 will be Messiah. That's the plan at least. What they do after that is uncertain but I doubt Villeneuve will be directing after he does a trilogy.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Villaunue (sp?) isn't a young man so I doubt he's going to spend the rest of his life making Dune adaptions. As much as I'd love that. You need a top-notch filmmaker to bring this to life. Here's hoping they continue the series with some more talented creators. I need the God Emperor on the big screen.

Lady Jane

Banned
Villaunue (sp?) isn't a young man so I doubt he's going to spend the rest of his life making Dune adaptions. As much as I'd love that. You need a top-notch filmmaker to bring this to life. Here's hoping they continue the series with some more talented creators. I need the God Emperor on the big screen.

Yeah I have my doubts that anyone but Villeneuve can pull off God Emperor. After he does a trilogy, he'll likely want to move on. A God Emperor movie is inevitable but they'll probably go with a safe af director and we won't get anything bold like we're seeing from Villeneuve.

Last edited:

DadEggs

damn. long wait before this comes out.

i know WB waited to greenlight part 2, but i feel like they shoulda just rolled with filming it back to back, or at least parts of the second alongside the first.

not sure why they were so apprehensive

Porcile

Unpopular opinion but the first film felt like it was 50 years too late to the party. It's just not an easy book to adapt to film without everything feeling very contrived and unoriginal.

Elysion

Unpopular opinion but the first film felt like it was 50 years too late to the party. It's just not an easy book to adapt to film without everything feeling very contrived and unoriginal.

Yeah, I think a TV series would suit Dune better. It would allow them to flesh out the characters and different factions much more, like a Game of Thrones in space basically. There was a mini-series from the early 2000s that wasn’t too bad, which I always thought was much better than the 1984 movie.

Porcile

Is there something incredibly original about sand planets, giant worms, warring factions, messiahs blah blah? Lots of books, films and games have riffed on or been inspired Dune's basic plot points and imagery since it was released in 1965. Watching it felt like watching every science fiction/fantasy movie released since the 1970s, minus the real flavour of the novel since that is difficult to distill into a 2 and a half hour Hollywood movie. I don't think it's that hard to understand. John Carter suffered from the same familiarity problem too.

FunkMiller

Yeah, I think a TV series would suit Dune better. It would allow them to flesh out the characters and different factions much more, like a Game of Thrones in space basically.

Personally, I'd rather they took all of that money and instead ploughed it into a decent Warhammer 40k series.

I can't wait. The first movie was phenomenal. I hope Denis Villeneuve directs the adaptations of the other 5 books.
Never in a million years. Part one barely made enough revenue to get the funding. This'll be the final Dune movie. Villeneuve blockbusters just aren't dumb enough for the general audience.

Hope he wraps up the story somewhat satifactory in Part Two.

Last edited:

Ammogeddon

Personally, I'd rather they took all of that money and instead ploughed it into a decent Warhammer 40k series.

GW are developing an Eisenhorn TV show but it hasn’t been picked up by a platform as yet.

To be honest I’m a little nervous about a movie or TV adaption of WH40K. I love the universe but I think it would be ruined by people making too many changes to appeal to a wider audience. To do it justice you’d need a massive budget too.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Is there something incredibly original about sand planets, giant worms, warring factions, messiahs blah blah? Lots of books, films and games have riffed on or been inspired Dune's basic plot points and imagery since it was released in 1965. Watching it felt like watching every science fiction/fantasy movie released since the 1970s, minus the real flavour of the novel since that is difficult to distill into a 2 and a half hour Hollywood movie. I don't think it's that hard to understand. John Carter suffered from the same familiarity problem too.
So because lots of media have ripped off Dune that makes it too late? Nah, man. That's like saying Lord of the rings was 50 years too late. It's always good to see the original material. It's often imitated because it's better. Dune is better fiction than anything that it inspired.

Porcile

Dune is better fiction than anything that it inspired.

I think the book is, I don't think the film is however. Again, I think the movie lost a lot of the "spice" that makes the novel unique. That's just my two cents. I didn’t hate it at all, and will definitely watch Part 2.

Tams

I can't wait.

The first one did get me to reread the book recently. It's... nowhere near as good as I remember it. I think the first film did much better than the book.

Frank Herbert just wasn't a good writer at all. He was great world builder, but relied far too much on internal dialogue and exposition. His characters were with only a few expections incredibly flat and dead.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

never seen the original or the new one but im really looking forward to checking them out some day. i think i need to watch the new one first tho. ive tried to watch the old one a few times but i couldnt get into it. maybe if i like the new one (which im sure i will), i will be more interested in seeing the original.

Tams

Yeah, the impact of the shields left a lot to be desired. Without changing the concept, they need to find a way to capture that with a bit more intensity.

Yeah, but from where the first film ended, shields don't really play a role at all other than in their absence. Unless they are going beyond the first book, then that ship was pretty much sailed.

I'd caution about reading the books. They really are a slog. Herbert was such a verbose, and not really in a good way, writer. He just drones on and on and on about the most mundance things and very little actually happens. There's far to much internal dialogue and exposition. And he liked to dump a load terminology, often to never revisit it. If there's an abdriged or reader's digest version out there, pehaps that would be a good read. Sure, it'll be missing a lot of the detail, but I don't think much of the detail really matters to most readers. Great as a guide for a film though.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

No bugger would come to the cinema with me to see it. The missus and lad never did have a good taste in movies

So I took my fat arse on my own. Brilliant film, empty cinema. Loved it, might do it more often. Cant wait for the 2nd.

FunkMiller

I'm way too scared they'd fuck it up somehow.

GW are super protective of the IP. It’s the reason nothing has been made as yet. There have been proposals, but nothing has stuck, because they refuse to compromise. Good for them. It’ll probably happen sooner or later though. Henry Cavill is very keen to get something going, and it’s too big and popular an IP to stay untapped forever. An Eisenhorn series was mooted a while back, but I think that fell apart.

Ulysses 31

I think they could move the plot a little quicker and get to riding some worms.
Actually I thought they skipped over some important world building by leaving out the guild navigators, no computers/AI, no mention of mentats.

Not sure about this one but I heard somewhere that there's an explanation for not using lasers in that universe too, it would cause something close to a nuclear explosion if it hits those shields.

Last edited:
Top Bottom