• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dune: Part Two Started Filming Today

Lady Jane

Banned
I only ask this.

MORE ACTION!!! LESS TALK!!

spongebob-fish.gif

AJUMP23

Actually I thought they skipped over some important world building by leaving out the guild navigators, no computers/AI, no mention of mentats.

Not sure about this one but I heard somewhere that there's an explanation for not using lasers in that universe too, it would cause something close to a nuclear explosion if it hits those shields.
They had plenty of time to do all of that in the first part. They just didn't. I can't remember if they explained why the spice mattered.

Last edited:

ZehDon

I hope the lag from Part One to Part Two doesn’t hurt it’s success. In a kind universe, we’ll the Villeneuve trilogy concluding with Dune Messiah. In an unkind universe, Dune Part Two will bomb and that’ll be all we get.

thefool

Is there something incredibly original about sand planets, giant worms, warring factions, messiahs blah blah? Lots of books, films and games have riffed on or been inspired Dune's basic plot points and imagery since it was released in 1965. Watching it felt like watching every science fiction/fantasy movie released since the 1970s, minus the real flavour of the novel since that is difficult to distill into a 2 and a half hour Hollywood movie. I don't think it's that hard to understand. John Carter suffered from the same familiarity problem too.

Well, you're not wrong. But that's the problem of having the talentless spaihts adapting Dune. He only knows how to grab a book and make it digestible for audiences removing its attributes. It should have been so much more than going through those familiar plot points.

I can't remember if they explained why the spice mattered.

They did and they really shouldn't have tbh. Melange is merely a geriatric spice for readers
until Paul reveals its purpose and how to use it against the Guild.

Its like they watched the Lynch movie instead of reading the book.

Btw, while the Lynch film has many issues, the Spice Diver fan cut is really good (and trust me i despise fan cuts). Its mostly the extended edition with the deleted scenes and some tweaks here and there (namely with the interior monologues). Its close to 3 hours, yes the second part is still massively rushed (and with really idiotic choices, like the weirding module fights) but its a very unique sci-fi movie.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Well, you're not wrong. But that's the problem of having the talentless spaihts adapting Dune. He only knows how to grab a book and make it digestible for audiences removing its attributes. It should have been so much more than going through those familiar plot points.

They did and they really shouldn't have tbh. Melange is merely a geriatric spice for readers
until Paul reveals its purpose and how to use it against the Guild.

Its like they watched the Lynch movie instead of reading the book.

Btw, while the Lynch film has many issues, the Spice Diver fan cut is really good (and trust me i despise fan cuts). Its mostly the extended edition with the deleted scenes and some tweaks here and there (namely with the interior monologues). Its close to 3 hours, yes the second part is still massively rushed (and with really idiotic choices, like the weirding module fights) but its a very unique sci-fi movie.
So where does that leave the SyFy series from 2000 in your estimation. :messenger_winking_tongue:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
So where does that leave the SyFy series from 2000 in your estimation. :messenger_winking_tongue:
I liked it a lot. I thought the cast was pretty great. I don't think it's super accurate either but I think it's better than the Lynch version in that regard by miles. The Channi in that was incredibly hot too which certainly helped my teenage mind back the love it. A great rack that you got to see in the international cut.

thefool

Schlock and hard to go through. The sequel is more watchable.
The space jump scene is cool tho. And it has that play kind of feeling which, tbh, is very in line with the first half of the book. But the production values are so low, its hard to properly enjoy anything on it.

Jsisto

Anyone have any ideas on when we can expect a trailer for part two? I would have thought wed see something by now. Just about finished reading God Emperor for the first time and need Moar dune! Cant wait to see how Paul's transformation into Muad Dib is handled in this version.

IDKFA

Anyone have any ideas on when we can expect a trailer for part two? I would have thought wed see something by now. Just about finished reading God Emperor for the first time and need Moar dune! Cant wait to see how Paul's transformation into Muad Dib is handled in this version.

Saw the bump and expected set photos or a teaser trailer.

Disappointed.

Criminal bump.

daveonezero

Why the long break? Figured they had filmed it already.

Edit oh this was from a long time ago. Still I’d have figured they already filmed it

Last edited:

BossLackey

Anyone read the entire series? Is it as strong as the first book?

Despite book 1 being my favorite book probably ever, I still haven't read the rest of the series.

But I have heard that no, it's not as strong as book 1, especially after the first couple.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Bro you should get dropped on top of Shai-Hulud for a bump like that

I'm always left feeling sheepish when I've doled out reactions to a bunch of people, only to realise their posts were made back when the circling discs of dust and gas had not yet coalesced into the planets, moons, and other celestial bodies that we all know today.

Last edited:

Tams

Anyone read the entire series? Is it as strong as the first book?

No, but they aren't much worse.

I remember being completely absorbed as a 13 year-old reading the first book, but stopping there. I re-read it after the film came out and... it was an almighty slog. Herbert was great at creating a world, but everything else? Pretty bad. I tried to read the second book and just couldn't get even a quarter of the way through it as it is very much the same. I did eventually force myself through the first four; I didn't particularly enjoy it though.

Last edited:
I keenly noticed during the first film that Baron Harkonnen gives no indication of being a homosexual nor a pedophile. Instead they inserted this horse-shit scene of the Baron displaying some Bene Tleilaxu monstrosity to Reverend Mother Gaius Mohiam. Vladimir Harkonnen was a fucking lot of things, but he was not a political imbecile. There is no way he would willingly antagonize someone whom both share a mutual loathing of, who also happens to be somebody that can both end his life, and get away with it at the snap of a finger.

Harkonnen wasn't that fucking stupid. Arrogant, prideful, narcissistic, sure; but he wasn't fucking stupid. I'm serious when I say that one scene kept this from being cinema greatness.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I keenly noticed during the first film that Baron Harkonnen gives no indication of being a homosexual nor a pedophile. Instead they inserted this horse-shit scene of the Baron displaying some Bene Tleilaxu monstrosity to Reverend Mother Gaius Mohiam. Vladimir Harkonnen was a fucking lot of things, but he was not a political imbecile. There is no way he would willingly antagonize someone whom both share a mutual loathing of, who also happens to be somebody that can both end his life, and get away with it at the snap of a finger.

Harkonnen wasn't that fucking stupid. Arrogant, prideful, narcissistic, sure; but he wasn't fucking stupid. I'm serious when I say that one scene kept this from being cinema greatness.

Yep good point, though I wonder if the Baron and his Mentat were susceptible to the Voice? They were certainly aware of it.

Is part 2 just going to be the rest of book 1 or do you think we'll get some of books 2 in it?

As much as I liked the movie I hope we don't get anymore movies. The books go downhill. They can include some of Messiah but that's it.

I absolutely adore the movie, it's on my drunken rewatch list and I've seen it loads, the books I just couldn't get into, I started reading the first one and it just left a big meh in me as I was hoping it would expand the universe, have more political machinations, more of everything instead it's fairly basic and the movie captures pretty much the best parts, must be the only one I know disappointed with the book, probably should've read it as a kid back in the day

Top Bottom