• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dyack: "NeoGAF...I would say is probably the worst forum." Response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
But who's to blame here?

I'm sorry but if you can't take criticism you shouldn't go on a rampage because you are so insecure and out of touch with reality. Fact is, coming from a majority of sources is that too human is too mediocre. Having experienced the game via a demo MANY others can attest to that fact, now now we all know we can’t really judge something only based on a demo but the reviews ARE coming out and the games mediocrity seems to be an undeniable reality. The guy needs to get a grip, over analyzing/trying to put down an anonymous mostly ON target hardcore gaming community isn’t the correct thing to do, real professionals don’t throw a hiss fit because XxforumposterxX said something about how awful they felt their game was. What you do is you step back and see if there IS A PROBLEM and then you try to correct it or alleviate it, after that you return to the community and communicate to them the effort.

Mr.Dyack just got too close and got burned, it was his doing, professionals don’t go to the extremes “defending” what’s un-defendable and expect to walk out credited.

His latest statement seems to prove how out of touch he is. GAF and the rest of the passionate/hardcore gaming community appreciates the effort of SK and the entire team responsible for a the game, what Mr.Dyack has done was just the incorrect approach to things when it comes to mingling with the "community".

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Apharmd Battler said:
At the end of the day NeoGaf's opinion will have ZERO impact on if the game sells....

Of course it will have an impact on the sales. No doubt about it in my mind, that this game has been marketed for the hardcore and if this community doesn't go buy it in flocks and tell their friends about it, it will have an affect. How big? That's a question that can't be answered.

I know it's cool to dismiss the importance of GAF, but these reactions towards Too Human are being mirrored all over the place. All you have to do is take a look over at Kotaku and see how people are commenting on Too Human stories. This negative reaction is NOT specific to this community and that goes to show you that the impact from all of these little communities spread across the Internet are going to add up.

We're all connected at some level, it takes a special type of hardcore person to post on ANY site... it's a special type of engagement.

Dirtbag

besada said:
I never said there was a marketing plan in place between 1up and Denis. I said that 1up failed in their job as journalists and let themselves be used by someone who clearly does have a marketing plan -- Denis.

The whole dennis dyack podcast is the equivalent of top-10 lists. Its good entertainment - like good tv. If that is all you are saying then yes I agree. Did they fail at journalists, or did you take the entertainment out of context? Are you not entertained? Did you not listen? Would you rathered they not air this crazy ass podcast when it was finished, or was it the way you think they handled the interview itself the problem.

It made for some funny threads, and some heartbreak.. but it wasn't their decision. It was a surprise attack by Dennis. If you think that makes them failures as journalists then so be it, but don't make it out like the guys from 1up post here only because its about money.

Flavius said:
In these situations, there are really only two options:

1. Point at the elephant in the room.

2. Let everyone else figure it out for themselves.

The "other side of the story" was simply logic. If you are a logical being, then it was present. That you didn't notice it's presence is startling.

Yeah I see what you are saying, but this isn't the only reason I dislike that site. Like I said i've never liked it and found it strange GAF has such an obsession with it. Now that its clear their agenda is to the almighty dollar and promotion of their site at the expense of journalist integrity I don't see any reason why I shouldn't speak my mind about my feelings. Feel free to disagree.

Flavius

besada said:
1up is a company. They hire people to produce content to drive ad revenue. The podcast is part of that content. Their entire job is to produce ad revenue, via reviews, previews, podcasts, etc. I'm not sure how that's a conspiracy. It's a simple understanding of business.

Because the podcasts are simply filled with commercial interruptions, right?

Give me a fucking break.

What you seem to lack is an understanding that 1up, it's parent corporation, and the people who work for 1up are all separate entities. To paint them all with such a broad stroke is pretty insulting.

Businesses do not have ethics. Hopefully, at least some of the folks in charge do. It's a hell of a jump to suggest that because all corporations strive for profit that everyone who works for those corporations do whatever it takes to make a buck.

besada said:
1up is a company. They hire people to produce content to drive ad revenue. The podcast is part of that content. Their entire job is to produce ad revenue, via reviews, previews, podcasts, etc. I'm not sure how that's a conspiracy. It's a simple understanding of business.
Yup I realized that some time ago.

And obviously the more controversial the article the more hits and bitchy flame wars... which lead more people to the site.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
1. awesome OP.
2. awesome Jaffe.
3. awesome thread.

This whole thing is what happens when you have a semi-obscure public figure that takes what a niche hardcore audience has to say personally. He probably values our opinion, as does Jaffe, because he too is a fan of games and if he wasn't making them he might still be here.

But at some point he has to start acting like a professional and focusing on what matters. Every single member of neogaf could promise to never by Too Human and SK would be out 10k-20k copies. Assuming that time and money eventually make a better product (a huge assumption i admit), he won't miss us.

A shame really. He needs our approval for personal reasons more than business reasons. In the grand scheme of things, neogaf is irrelevant, especially for any pub that wants to sell more than 20k copies of a game. The shame is not that you have one person that has a passion for his work and a crowd of anonymous wonks calling out opinions without any accountability, but the fact that he cares about what they say.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Chiggs said:

Yes, the poor souls that had nothing to do with this fiasco wouldn't appreciate a certain figurehead/leader tarnishing their blood/sweat/tears (the image I guess, lol as if it can get any worse) like a giant out of control baby.

You do feel sorry for them right? I'm sure some of them do care of what goes on, the backlash wouldn't be great for their careers if god forbid sales are abysmal right?

schild

I posted my thoughts earlier today at my normal outlet. But I boiled it down to this:

Dyack needs a PR mouthpiece controlling him because he doesn't know how to gauge the identity of the audience he's trying to communicate with. In that way, he's basically a a hulking, dumb ogre with a target painted on his back. He doesn't understand what NeoGAF is good for and what it's bad for and completely misused his position in the industry. To that end, he failed hard. Will he learn from his mistakes? Probably not. He chased after the wrong thing in the wrong way with the wrong intentions. The first two would indicate a mistake, but now that he's revealed the third (his intentions), I realize there was no mistake. He, like many other developers, tends to just be a goddamn moron when he's allowed to talk without a choke-chain on his neck.

You see this a lot more often with the MMORPG sector of gaming, but here it's just... well... it's fucking pitiful.

Edit: If you really want to read the whole thing, I called it "In Defense of NeoGAF: An Open Letter to Denis Dyack," located here.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
SpeedingUptoStop said:
:lol :lol @ their outrage over how long the thread is. It's not the same people over and over talking about the same thing over and over, guys.:lol For example, this very post.

Kargion said:
Re: Dyack Banned from the GAF - 2008/08/19 15:39
16pgs in one day is kidda sad lol do they not have jobs lol

Oh Kargion, if you only knew... 16 pages? We're just warming up...

Plus, that's just one thread. :)

Amir0x

Banned
AGAINST has the game!

I guess though dude has been asking for it. Trying to move the blame for his shitty product into a mass forum conspiracy to troll his crappy game of unlimited shititude to cover for his inadequacies as a game developer who has made nothing but abject shit that only the most devoted Gamecube tard could like was too far. The sin of your gimmicky Eternal Darkness and its slaughter of Lovecraft and legitimate influenced works is not one I personally take lightly, sir!

So here, now, the reality that many of us were all completely correct in assessing your game as a pile of shit before its release wasn't so far fetched after all. Your fault came in feeling the need to generalize that EVERYONE felt that way, or that it was any more punished than the normal shitty looking game. Did I mention how shitty Too Human has always looked? Shit!

skybaby

It's all shits and giggles for us while it's Dyack's actually real life on the line on the other side. I won't defend his positions or what he said of GAF, but of course what we say here bears absolutely no weight to our professional or personal lives while on the other hand it means 10 years of his work and reputation.
After all the pressure from the media, the publisher and from us, hardcore gamers, he put it on himself to live up to everything ever mentioned about the game and decided to face the toughest crowd he could and ultimately he was the one who fell short and failed.

Baker

Banned
El_TigroX said:
Oh Kargion, if you only knew... 16 pages? We're just warming up...

Plus, that's just one thread. :)

The job post is my favorite so far. Where the fuck are you posting from idiot?

KTallguy

Banned
PantherLotus said:
A shame really. He needs our approval for personal reasons more than business reasons. In the grand scheme of things, neogaf is irrelevant, especially for any pub that wants to sell more than 20k copies of a game.

But GAF is full of evangelizers that go out into the world and promote fun games to their less-hardcore buddies. At least that's the impression I get. Similarly, companies like Microsoft are great at utilizing their 360 evangelizers via Xbox Live as you can see what your buddies are playing and quickly get connected.

If the majority of Gaffers think a game is bad, that word of mouth advertising that so many companies court can quickly backfire.

Pimpbaa

I dunno why we had to wait for reviews to unleash all this. Anyone with good taste who played the demo would have known the game was crap. Terrible terrible demo.

Flavius

Amir0x said:
AGAINST has the game!

I guess though dude has been asking for it. Trying to move the blame for his shitty product into a mass forum conspiracy to troll his crappy game of unlimited shititude to cover for his inadequacies as a game developer who has made nothing but abject shit that only the most devoted Gamecube tard could like was too far. The sin of your gimmicky Eternal Darkness and its slaughter of Lovecraft and legitimate influenced works is not one I personally take lightly, sir!

So here, now, the reality that many of us were all completely correct in assessing your game as a pile of shit before its release wasn't so far fetched after all. Your fault came in feeling the need to generalize that EVERYONE felt that way, or that it was any more punished than the normal shitty looking game. Did I mention how shitty Too Human has always looked? Shit!

I laughed...shittily. :lol

besada

Banned
Dirtbag 504 said:
The whole dennis dyack podcast is the equivalent of top-10 lists. Its good entertainment - like good tv. If that is all you are saying then yes I agree. Did they fail at journalists, or did you take the entertainment out of context? Are you not entertained? Did you not listen? Would you rathered they not air this crazy ass podcast when it was finished, or was it the way you think they handled the interview itself the problem.

It made for some funny threads, and some heartbreak.. but it wasn't their decision. It was a surprise attack by Dennis. If you think that makes them failures as journalists then so be it, but don't make it out like the guys from 1up post here only because its about money.

I think they broke the first rule of an interview, which is to not allow yourself to be used as a PR mouthpiece. That's my only real problem with the interview. When you interview someone, the interviewee is always trying to control the content. The job of a journalist is to not let them. Journalists are the fourth estate, and their role is to act as the people's advocate by keeping newsmakers honest. I think 1up failed at that, and in the process served the community poorly.

Also, if I implied that the only reason they're here is money, I didn't mean to. While there's no question in my mind that someone listened to that interview and grinned at the number of hits it was surely going to spawn, I think the individuals that post here largely do so because they enjoy gaming. I don't think that precludes their use of GAF as a source for news stories, just like it doesn't stop McWhertor from using GAF the same way on Kotaku.

jesus christ, i go to work and come back to see this.

this thread is indeed epic.

but whats with people accusing 1up crew & dyack of podcasting just for site hits & money? perhaps i skipped a page on accident? or do people really just say things *that* outrageous?

Xater

Amir0x said:
AGAINST has the game!

I was waiting for Amir0x to show up. I knew it would be gold. :lol

I also wanted to say that Jaffe'S tag is so right. He's the fucking man!

Xabora

Amir0x said:
AGAINST has the game!

iirc blame for the game has been this:
1: Epic's Unreal Engine 3.0 not working for them. (If I can script with it, they should have no problems.)
2: Neogaf (o_O)
3: Reviews

So... there seems to be a lengthy scapegoat process here.

Branduil

Amir0x said:
AGAINST has the game!

What you say has truth in it but this statement is pretty ironic.

Flavius

xS1TH L0RDx said:
but whats with people accusing 1up crew & dyack of podcasting just for site hits & money? perhaps i skipped a page on accident? or do people really just say things *that* outrageous?

Denis is gone and after Jaffe's kickass post, they all love him.

Blood must be spilled. Someone must pay! That is the only way.

Snaku

Banned
Amir0x said:
AGAINST has the game!

20z8pxg.gif

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
It took me 30 min to read everything.

Evilore did justice for GAF in reasonable terms. Im just glad that Denis is gone. Not just because he went apeshit after criticisms, but for being hardheaded and expecting too much from his game he spoiled too much.

Well hopefully this thread doesn't escalate to something else.
GAF vs. Too Human forum ugh..

sp0rsk said:
My dick has never been harder.

true that.
;)

GhaleonQ

besada said:
I never said there was a marketing plan in place between 1up and Denis. I said that 1up failed in their job as journalists and let themselves be used by someone who clearly does have a marketing plan -- Denis.

While they can't be completely exonerated for what could have have been 1 1/2 hours of rewriting history, there's a time for Meet The Press and there's a time for C-SPAN. Khrushchev going on about American imperialism and banging his shoe on the podium didn't need commentary, and this was the gaming equivalent.

Flavius

wmat said:
I don't get his problem. It's all so arbitrary.

He needs someone who makes him shut up.

Something tells me that, short of a guy with a shovel willing to smack the shit out of him across the back of his head, that person does not exist.

Did anyone else listen to his PR handler during the last 1up Yours? It reminded me of that one old episode of Married...with Children when Peg won the personal trainer and the buff guy went in to shape her up only to get fat and join her on the couch watching soap operas and eating bonbons.

Clearly, Denis had already infected her with his insanity.

Zeliard

besada said:

Dyack barely talked about Too Human in that podcast, though, unless I'm not remembering it correctly. As I recall, he spent the vast majority of it discussing GAF/Internet forums, books he's read, and ideas he's developed relating to both.

Flavius said:
Something tells me that, short of a guy with a shovel willing to smack the shit out of him across the back of his head, that person does not exist.

Did anyone else listen to his PR handler during the last 1up Yours? It reminded me of that one old episode of Married...with Children when Peg won the personal trainer and the buff guy went in to shape her up only to get fat and join her on the couch watching soap operas and eating bonbons.

Clearly, Denis had already infected her with his insanity.

Holy crap, I felt exactly the same. I just didn't know how to verbalize it. That was beautiful!

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Zeliard said:
Dyack barely talked about Too Human in that podcast, though, unless I'm not remembering it correctly. As I recall, he spent the vast majority of it discussing GAF/Internet forums, books he's read, and ideas he's developed relating to both.

Don't forget the socialist/industrialist club he was asked to join.

Jesus Christ the people who think they are "above all this childish stuff" really needs to step back and just relax a little. This dude had it coming. He made a promise that he didn't deliver on, all the while slandering a whole community. I didn't follow this controversy from the beginning, but just reading his posts on GAF and reading those links in the OP is enough for me to see how much of a douchebag this guy is. Justice served and let this be a lesson to anyone whole thinks they are immune to do whatever the fuck they want on GAF.

Dirtbag

besada said:
I think they broke the first rule of an interview, which is to not allow yourself to be used as a PR mouthpiece. That's my only real problem with the interview. When you interview someone, the interviewee is always trying to control the content. The job of a journalist is to not let them. Journalists are the fourth estate, and their role is to act as the people's advocate by keeping newsmakers honest. I think 1up failed at that, and in the process served the community poorly.

Also, if I implied that the only reason they're here is money, I didn't mean to. While there's no question in my mind that someone listened to that interview and grinned at the number of hits it was surely going to spawn, I think the individuals that post here largely do so because they enjoy gaming. I don't think that precludes their use of GAF as a source for news stories, just like it doesn't stop McWhertor from using GAF the same way on Kotaku.

Well in that case we are mostly in agreement. I have a harder time swallowing the PR mouthpiece part, but I won't say you are necessarily wrong about that. I guess the reason I have trouble with it is because the closing statement, was Garnet's total disagreement, and frustration with the whole interview. I thought Shane sounded sheepish, but 1up isn't just shane, its the whole cast.

Nikorasu

At least Luc Bernard knew when to pack it in.

I'm kidding of course (sort of), but this whole thing is pretty freaking awesome.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
On the one hand, I think yeah... this post may not have been the most mature way to deal with Dyack, but at the same freaking time, this dude will not shut up about Neogaf. Seriously, he needs to move the fuck on.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
The worst part of this whole thing is the Gaf VS 1up aspect. I love Gaf. I love 1up. Please be friends.

I agree 1up could have done more to come back at Denis when he was on the show, but I also understand why they didn't. If I had a podcast there would be nothing better for it than to have both a controversy and a developer come in and say outlandish, crazy, and entertaining things about the controversy. Honestly, that Dyack bit and this whole thing has probably been best for 1up. They were a bit of an intermediary, and they got the big interview we all wanted to hear. I'm glad they both gave him that time, and aired it, because it was extremely entertaining. I think Shane was too cuddly with Dyack, but Garnett made up for it by questioning Dyack on some key points, and also with this video:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3168552

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
David Jaffe - great post. It's just getting personal and that's it. What a waste. It could have become a great friendship, now there's just hate.

KingJ2002

So the time has finally come... mr. dyack has been banned. i hope that this fiasco makes him re-think his approach to dealing with the online gaming community.

with that said... i look forward to their next title with Sega.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
Drinky Crow said:
no, that would be the jeremy parish zd review of ultimate ghosts and goblins

i ain't gonna let you forget that

ever
Doug, I'm touched that you still think about me, ever after all these years! It's funny, but we mentioned you while recording Retronauts yesterday. It's kismet -- as though we're cosmically connected, somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom