• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elminage Original |OT| - The Priestess of Darkness and The Ring of Gods

so i went ahead and made a devilthing summoner. his first contract was a chimera, which he recruited at level 1. kinda ridiculous, but here we go. that beast alone made my party 50% more powerful. i wasn't expecting 3 additional attack turns from a summon, but that's what you'll get with this thing, one for each body part. pretty good start.

It's spell level 6, called Rizefus.

oh yea i checked it out earlier. must have missed it somehow. leveled up a bit and unlocked the next level version.

Eusis

Not sure what your point is here. Is it all okay because a physical copy of the game was never sold in a store or are you just demonstrating your superior intelligence?
I'll admit to being pedantic, but that really highlighted how absurdly bad of a job this is. Can you imagine how much more ludicrous this would seem if they got it out to retail?

So, does anything transfer over after a class change other than hp total and spell level?

I found some Ruby Slippers that kills the user after turning her (female only) into a same level cleric with a high spell level. The Valkyrie I used it on actually ended up with higher spell levels than the cleric I had been leveling up. But seeing as how I already have a cleric I will probably just remove the curse on the and give them to my brawler.

I'll admit to being pedantic, but that really highlighted how absurdly bad of a job this is. Can you imagine how much more ludicrous this would seem if they got it out to retail?
I can't imagine any game getting a physical release in that state, but I guess stranger things have happened. I do wonder if a retail release would have made UFO take the localization process a little more seriously?

Soulhouf

Okay, now if this is true, this is not acceptable.

From GameFAQs:

I thought it was weird that all that was absent, it's in LoLS too.

The localization is mediocre but I'm happy enough it was localized.
I'm not sure if they put the money to make an acceptable localization, it would be profitable for UFO.

I say big YES if they do the same with Elminage 2.

^ I definitely would not unless they seriously improve the quality of the localization. It doesn't need to be perfect but at the very least all the text should be translated, in english and properly aligned on the screen.

I know how much gamers love to apologize for companies that bring over games they like, but there needs to be a point where the various circumstances that lead to a localization of this caliber become unacceptable.

cj_iwakura

It's tough for me, because while part of me hates localizations done this lazily, considering the alternative was not getting it at all... I wanted to think UFO wasn't cause for alarm(I kind of liked their Radio Allergy localization), but I guess it is.

Hopefully a dungeon crawler fan at one of the proper localization companies is playing this and thinking 'god, we better get the rights to Elminage II away from these guys, stat'.

text alignment is borked in some places. i don't remember where i've seen something like that outside of pc gaming last time. storyline translation is surprisingly decent. i'd prefer if they put in more effort next time.

Ephidel

I've only just purchased the game, and am still planning parties, making characters, and rerolling for bonus points obsessively. The character art is rather... underwhelming... though, and I haven't had any success importing my own.
Has anyone else had any luck with Face Load on Vita yet?
I went and got out my PSP to create some save data to try and import, but when I replace my backup save and try to copy across the save file and face load data across, the save file ends up with the default logos, and the face load data file seems to vanish (I'm a little concerned I might be cluttering my memory card with junk files, as even though it claims the file was copied over, I can't now locate it to delete it)

I've only just purchased the game, and am still planning parties, making characters, and rerolling for bonus points obsessively. The character art is rather... underwhelming... though, and I haven't had any success importing my own.
Has anyone else had any luck with Face Load on Vita yet?
I went and got out my PSP to create some save data to try and import, but when I replace my backup save and try to copy across the save file and face load data across, the save file ends up with the default logos, and the face load data file seems to vanish (I'm a little concerned I might be cluttering my memory card with junk files, as even though it claims the file was copied over, I can't now locate it to delete it)

i don't think anybody was successful with portrait uploads on vita. only know of people playing on psp with this feature.

Soulhouf

The forest went from being casual to tough to oh my god get me OUT OF HERE.

My summoner "captured" a Golem in the beginning and that made the later part of that forest easier. He has a shit load of HP, tank very well and you can heal him as well, so he stays with you forever as long as he's alive.

Hybrid897

20 nov - 26 nov. You get 10 bucks back on 6 dec if you spend 60 bucks in those days.

Oh sweet nice suprise for me! I was considering adding some more funds to PSN for this, but looks like I'll have enough come December 6th!

Picked up Persona 4 golden and Ps+ so I should be covered.

My summoner "captured" a Golem in the beginning and that made the later part of that forest easier. He has a shit load of HP, tank very well and you can heal him as well, so he stays with you forever as long as he's alive.

my newest capture is a
fire giant. two swords, fire row attack, high hp
. chimera is still good for heals, dispel and attacks. but her health is kinda low.

cj_iwakura

Thinking of ditching my mage, Bishop does everything she does only better.

What's a Shaman capable of? I rolled both a Shaman and a
Devil
Summoner
with Victor's face

Soulhouf

It's been a long time since I was that lost in a game and I don't know what the hell I am doing.
The crappy translation is for something, it's so bad that playing EII in Japanese felt clearer.
It reminds me of games 25 years ago, so it's not necessarily a bad thing lol

DTJAAAAM

Should I even be doing the forest as my second area? The monsters in the Heart/mist area are absolutely nuts.

Probably won't be able to fight the mist zone encounters till your party is around level 18. I think I did the Garden of Light (or whatever it's called) as my second part of the main quest. Still haven't found out what to do afterward, though...

cj_iwakura

Probably won't be able to fight the mist zone encounters till your party is around level 18. I think I did the Garden of Light (or whatever it's called) as my second part of the main quest. Still haven't found out what to do afterward, though...

I assume each zone has a ring hidden in it, and you'll need to earn Fame to get the compass up to par to find them?

KuroNeeko

No confidence that this will be any good, but I'm so there day one.
Mostly as a "pinch me" kind of response because I still don't really understand how this is real.

What? The Eliminage games are great! (Fine print: If you're into Wizardry-type dungeon crawlers. Only played the Japanese originals)

DTJAAAAM

I assume each zone has a ring hidden in it, and you'll need to earn Fame to get the compass up to par to find them?

Figure as much, but I'm still having rotten luck with picking maps to scout out completely. I've done 19 events, and fully explored the following maps:

Kraidia Caverns
Mauria Forest
The Mirror Marsh
Garden of Light
Sheba Ruins

Still just have the Ring of Change cleared, and no real hints pointing towards where to go after that. XD

i think i've cleared 6 maps so far. currently have two rings.

Should I even be doing the forest as my second area? The monsters in the Heart/mist area are absolutely nuts.

forest was my second map. just ignore the misty areas until you get stronger. garden of light is another good choice.

cj_iwakura

I know it's a dead system and all, but:

GFAQs:

Top 10 Message Boards
01 Dissidia 012
02 Elminage Original
03 Final Fantasy Type-0
04 Ragnarok Tactics
05 SD Gundam GG Overworld
06 Monster Hunter Freedom U
07 Tactics Ogre
08 FF Tactics: War of Lions
09 The Legend of Heroes
10 Phantasy Star Portable 2

Take that, Suzaku! (Of course, obtuse DCs do have a way of having people flock to GFAQs.)

DTJAAAAM

Mannnnn, figured out what I was doing wrong! I assumed the compass was just the little mini map thingie the king had you make in the beginning and never really paid attention to the menu option. Got all the rings and started to fight my way up Dragon's Fang.

I have 4 rings w/ 17 quests completed. Still haven't entered half the dungeons.

It looks like there is a small chance (3%) to form a contract with the
Dark Priestesses
. I gave it a shot, but no dice.
Thinking of ditching my mage, Bishop does everything she does only better.
Bishops earn spells far slower than the mage though. Seems like the class is barely ahead of Samurai and Entertainer for spell level growth.

Charms make a huge difference as well. Thunder magic is devastating with Lightning Charm +1.

What's a Shaman capable of? I rolled both a Shaman and a
Devil
Summoner
with Victor's face
The Shaman is pretty good against specific enemies. Gohei (M range) does 10x damage to ghost and demon class (maybe undead as well?) enemies, charm does 3x the damage and is L range.

Shaman can also throw up a spell repelling barrier (grows weaker with use) and use musical instruments.

i only have like 11 quests cleared after 25 hours. i won't quit a dungeons until it's fully mapped.

i can't quit my mage. porting across maps is just too much fun.

oh and i found some overpowered holy bow for my fighter. good dmg and good stats all around for resist, devastating versus undead.

^ I am using two parties. One to grab rings/complete quests and another to fully map out the dungeons or at least what they can manage at the time.

An issue I have with completing dungeons in one shot is that the final areas are generally way tougher than the other floors/areas of the dungeon. I guess I could just grind till my party was powerful enough, but I would rather spend that time exploring new areas personally.

i don't have enough characters for 2 parties yet, but i'll try to switch around. what i don't like about the open direction of this game is that the first area is usually too easy for my party, and the second isn't much tougher either. i have to fight through too much trash to get to the good stuff.

i don't have enough characters for 2 parties yet, but i'll try to switch around. what i don't like about the open direction of this game is that the first area is usually too easy for my party, and the second isn't much tougher either. i have to fight through too much trash to get to the good stuff.

So it's the opposite of Etrian Odyssey, where the first two floors are tough, then the rest is easy? :p Sounds good to me.

DTJAAAAM

Beat the main quest, timer says it took me a little over 41 hours.
The last boss battle against all the priestesses and their demon lord thing was short and a little too easy with a mage and alchemist on my team.
Now to do the post-game stuff and keep on grinding...

Kid_Compile

Neo Member
My dragonewt fighter gained a high level skill yesterday - physical damage up. Started at 5% and has gained an additional 1.7% on every subsequent level up. My alchemist learned disassemble. No more worries about wasting materials...maybe.

looks like i'm starting to get good gear. it's mostly weapons with crazy secondary stats, but i'm not complaining. swapped in my newly made hunter, cause that's where my best overall drops are. ranged class with a bit of thief in it. works for me.

So it's the opposite of Etrian Odyssey, where the first two floors are tough, then the rest is easy? :p Sounds good to me.

that's correct.

Mugaaz

Man, I figured I was almost done with the game, but I ran into some stuff the other day that made me realize your chars will get to levels in the 600s+

cj_iwakura

Wow, I love some of the Alchemist's spells. Might be retiring my Bishop sooner than expected, and keep her in town for appraising.

^ I don't think so, but it does activate the Hunter's pursuit ability. Guess that is something.

Lake Nineevah is kicking my ass. The short timer coupled with randomly getting into a fight with Fendel and his crew is killing me, literally.

It looks like healing spells are tied to the holy element. I slapped the light seal +1 on my Valkyrie and she heals for way more than before anyway. Don't think that is just a fluke.

cj_iwakura

I love the sidequest about the rogue monster party. Bears repeating, I really like the writing in this game. Shame the rest wasn't given the same amount of care.

^ I don't think so, but it does activate the Hunter's pursuit ability. Guess that is something.

Lake Nineevah is kicking my ass. The short timer coupled with randomly getting into a fight with Fendel and his crew is killing me, literally.

what is pursuit? i thought it prevents you or the enemy from running. for the lake, i thought the
teleport ability
was very helpful. the last floor kicked my ass as well.

Pursuit seems to be a follow up attack at the end of the current turn on an enemy afflicted with a status ailment. It only seems to work with bows.

Probably makes Beastmen the best Hunters since they have an inherent ability to poison enemies. Equipping the Hunter exclusive silencing bracelet is also a good idea.

Pursuit seems to be a follow up attack at the end of the current turn on an enemy afflicted with a status ailment. It only seems to work with bows.

Probably makes Beastmen the best Hunters since they have an inherent ability to poison enemies. Equipping the Hunter exclusive silencing bracelet is also a good idea.

lol, that's weird. i have that exact combination on my hunter right now and i didn't even know about that skill. female beastman with silence armand and bow in the back row.

Top Bottom