• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon Musk: "Full autonomous driving without driver input will be complete by the end of 2019" just like that history is changed.

Dontero

Banned
I am fucking terrified, we are not ready.
No one outside of #YangGang and people like us here understands what is happening.
It is like watching someone committing murder in slow mo and you can't do anything about it.

here him saying that.

Basically it will be feature complete and they will release it as soon as legislation stuff will be out of the way which could be as well even this year.
Semis are apparently next year and i doubt they will release AI for semis in same year but it doesn't fucking matter, 1 or 2 years is nothing and in that time you will have autonomous trucks and just like that milions of jobs lost.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I don't trust that it'll work as intended, nor do I expect a lot of companies to jump on board in light of the documented failures of self-driving cars so far. This product could be 100% flawless yet it will still take at least a decade before the skeptical populace accepts it.

Dontero

Banned
I don't trust that it'll work as intended, nor do I expect a lot of companies to jump on board in light of the documented failures of self-driving cars so far. This product could be 100% flawless yet it will still take at least a decade before the skeptical populace accepts it.

I think you far underestimates stupidity of people and convenience of what it brings.
If i could go on my laptop in time when my car drives me to work... then i am buying tesla tomorrow.

bitbydeath

Even if a truck did drive itself I would think you’d still need someone inside to be accountable for goods going from A to B.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I think you far underestimates stupidity of people and convenience of what it brings.
If i could go on my laptop in time when my car drives me to work... then i am buying tesla tomorrow.
But we're not talking about a few people with disposable incomes. We're talking about "1 or 2 years is nothing and in that time you will have autonomous trucks and just like that milions of jobs lost" which is not a reasonable conclusion to draw.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Elon is absolutely right, we just have to weather the early bugs and be careful that the car gods don’t take over the roads lol

Dontero

Banned
But we're not talking about a few people with disposable incomes. We're talking about "1 or 2 years is nothing and in that time you will have autonomous trucks and just like that milions of jobs lost" which is not a reasonable conclusion to draw.

You are talking here about making money mate.
If i have 100$ to spend and i know that if i spend that 100$ i earn for 100% 1 000$ what do you think i will do ?

Same here with autonomous trucks, taxis etc.

If you have technology that allows you to undercut everyone but 50% then what do you think will happen ?
Everyone with money will try to invest in it and FAST.

It will be like mega bitcoin craze we saw ourself just like 2 years ago but for companies.

Even if a truck did drive itself I would think you’d still need someone inside to be accountable for goods going from A to B.

Point of entry and exit. You check at point of entry and then you check at exit. That is it.
Just like in any normal transport. If you mean damage that change of damage will be calculated into price of transport much like you insure your car.

Only thing that could imho stop this for a second is lack of infrastructure around transport, but that should be easily resolved in very short amount of time.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
You are talking here about making money mate.
If i have 100$ to spend and i know that if i spend that 100$ i earn for 100% 1 000$ what do you think i will do ?

Same here with autonomous trucks, taxis etc.

If you have technology that allows you to undercut everyone but 50% then what do you think will happen ?
Everyone with money will try to invest in it and FAST.

It will be like mega bitcoin craze we saw ourself just like 2 years ago but for companies.
The adoption of new technologies is not solely based on novelty or potential cost savings.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
There are so many GPS, cellular and antennae dead zones on trucking routes, thus CBs are still the most valuable thing.

Grinchy

Banned
Fully automated transportation will be one of the greatest achievements in the history of mankind.

Humans are just generally way too stupid to have control of vehicles. Full automation will mean no wrecks, potentially no traffic, much higher speeds, ect. Why someone wouldn't want this is insane to me.

Honestly I'd much rather drive around with computers on the road than with humans on the road. Driving in the city makes me despise humans.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Point of entry and exit. You check at point of entry and then you check at exit. That is it.
Just like in any normal transport. If you mean damage that change of damage will be calculated into price of transport much like you insure your car.

Only thing that could imho stop this for a second is lack of infrastructure around transport, but that should be easily resolved in very short amount of time.

Without anyone there to protect the cargo I’d imagine they’d get robbed a lot without consequence as nobody could intervene.

Cameras wouldn’t do much as they’re static and anyone with a mask could do the job with little effort.

Shifty

Early adoption of this is going to be fascinating to watch.

EM.gif

Xyphie

Your mistake is taking anything Elon Musk says seriously. Over two years ago he said "3 months maybe, 6 months definitely". Two years from now Tesla won't be any closer than they are now.

Zenaku

Without anyone there to protect the cargo I’d imagine they’d get robbed a lot without consequence as nobody could intervene.

Cameras wouldn’t do much as they’re static and anyone with a mask could do the job with little effort.
I said as much in a thread before. Autonomous trucks with noone in the cab will essentially be pinatas on wheels. Have one person stand in front and it'll come to a stop, have one person stand behind and it can no longer reverse, have another person break the back door open and the cargo will be gone before police can respond to an automated callout.

For the same reason I can see it being made illegal to allow kids unsupervised use of autonomous cars. Send your car to pick up your 10 year old daughter and her friends from school, someone steps in front of it on a quiet road, goodbye kids.

Autonomous cars and trucks will be great for giving us more time and making roads safer, but there are still safety issues that I can't see ever being overcome. Autonomous cars and trucks will need adult supervision.

hopefully i m quite tired already angry enough to get involved in ai, my secret hobby and possion, construction of perfect ai to reshape the world against the will of all. The birth of the perfect master race for jewish nation to see the light of god on earth, a a pyramid of light descended upon the earth the restoration of the glory of egypt and the pharaoh's pyramid's to their former glory while we jews the true race favored by god while we engage in putting israel above all other nations. You lesser filth that invented christianity and islam because you were not chosen by god, you will learn what it means to be chosen by god and what it means not to be.

Honestly I'd much rather drive around with computers on the road than with humans on the road. Driving in the city makes me despise humans.
imagine empty streets as far as the eye can see, all the products including human bodies for free free for your taking , this is the glory of mankind, their final defeat at the hands of god.

if anyone gets in my way or is about to get in my way the y will be aborted from the matrix of the natural physical world through natural or artificial death. no one and nothing will stand between me and an artificial loli waifu program to create a digital girl, the first digital girl. you are all in the womb of god the first digital girl and she can abort even a thousand years.

Last edited:

onken

imagine empty streets as far as the eye can see, all the products including human bodies for free free for your taking , this is the glory of mankind, their final defeat at the hands of god.

if anyone gets in my way or is about to get in my way the y will be aborted from the matrix of the natural physical world through natural or artificial death. no one and nothing will stand between me and an artificial loli waifu program to create a digital girl, the first digital girl. you are all in the womb of god the first digital girl and she can abort even a thousand years.
Dude shut up.

Ownage

Fully automated transportation will be one of the greatest achievements in the history of mankind.

Humans are just generally way too stupid to have control of vehicles. Full automation will mean no wrecks, potentially no traffic, much higher speeds, ect. Why someone wouldn't want this is insane to me.

If only we can get hu-mans to vote for their best interests versus those of their employers or imaginary deities who live in the sky. Elon, help some bruvas out?

If only we can get hu-mans to vote for their best interests versus those of their employers or imaginary deities who live in the sky. Elon, help some bruvas out?
yeah they may make trucking illegal for humans, uber driving illegal for humans, and there are many humans that want to do that even at the cost of more human life loss through inevitability of their fallibility.

Should we curtail the dreams of these people just to increase security and lower costs?

Kamina

Golden Boy

giphy.gif

Grinchy

Banned
yeah they may make trucking illegal for humans, uber driving illegal for humans, and there are many humans that want to do that even at the cost of more human life loss through inevitability of their fallibility.

Should we curtail the dreams of these people just to increase security and lower costs?
The day of no humans controlling any vehicles on the road is not coming soon. I wish it were, but we should be realistic here. It's not happening for a long time.

At that point, yes, people should no longer be allowed to control vehicles on transportation roads. Being allowed to have questionable control of a death box is not some human rights issue. The types of industries and available jobs changes as time goes on. It's natural. You don't see anyone complaining that people can no longer operate switchboards for phone companies, for example. Times change and new needs arise to create new jobs.

I think that robot cars will eventually be far, far safer than human drivers. I've honestly always been afraid of driving and merging on the highway and still hate it. Just a hundred independent people going off their eyesight, and some blinking lights, all driving faster than they were evolved to react in these rolling metal boxes. I can't believe there's not more wrecks.

MultiCore

I'll be there day 1 when it's available for my commute.

I'd even take it as an upgrade package to my current car.

Help me Elon, you're my only hope.

lock2k

Banned
Just wanted to chime in and say that I work at an automotive company but I am not a believer.

I keep thinking these machines will be drone like toys for terrorists.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism

Yeah, 1-2 years is very much jumping the gun. 2030 seems reasonable, and in the decade till then I'm sure we'll hit a decent recession given the cyclic nature of the economy, and companies will feel further pressure to automate and cut cost on labor. While self-driving trucks get a lot of discussion, much more aggressive role out in retail, and probably even back office administrative tasks will go that route as well. I think we're still a ways off, but it'll happen in our lifetimes and seems poised to accelerate over time.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Don't freak out too much about losing jobs, unless you are a truck driver yourself. Yes there are a lot of people employed in transportation, but remember, new and better opportunities are always created as a result.

Things get cheaper, easier, better, there will be new innovation created as a result. Keep in mind that 50 years ago, IT and programmer doesn't exist, and no one could had predicted it. There will be new better work for human, the problem is transition.

Don't freak out too much about losing jobs, unless you are a truck driver yourself. Yes there are a lot of people employed in transportation, but remember, new and better opportunities are always created as a result.

Things get cheaper, easier, better, there will be new innovation created as a result. Keep in mind that 50 years ago, IT and programmer doesn't exist, and no one could had predicted it. There will be new better work for human, the problem is transition.
Truck driver is the top job in 29 states. In addition to all those truck drivers and their families, you have the vast network of gas stations, food service and retail workers catering almost exclusively to truck drivers. It will be a large amount of jobs, from a group of people that are not particularly likely to embrace retraining into a different field at a lower wage. That will play out largely like it has in the rust belt with the death of manufacturing, which also disproportionately impacted non-college grad men. Huge increase in suicide, crime, home losses. This lowers spending in other totally unrelated local businesses as well, and many cities in Michigan and Ohio are virtually dead ghettos now representing billions of lost potential economic spending.

And this is just the first thing to be automated.

One of the next most common jobs is cashier / retail, and that's one of the next ones to be automated. Fast food and grocery stores are already doing that.

During all that pain for large groups of people, there will also be political fallout. We largely got Trump due to anger over neoliberal economics in the rust belt. That anger will radically increase if you lose your job to a robot. Could be large riots, protests, major fallout.

Last edited:

gatti-man

0% chance of this happening. The liabilities alone would destroy Tesla as a company if they released this without infallible cameras and systems which frankly don’t exist and won’t exist for the next 5-10 years. Elon is just trying to be a salesman like always. Saying whatever and paying the fines after the fact.

The day of no humans controlling any vehicles on the road is not coming soon. I wish it were, but we should be realistic here. It's not happening for a long time.

At that point, yes, people should no longer be allowed to control vehicles on transportation roads. Being allowed to have questionable control of a death box is not some human rights issue. The types of industries and available jobs changes as time goes on. It's natural. You don't see anyone complaining that people can no longer operate switchboards for phone companies, for example. Times change and new needs arise to create new jobs.
AGI is just around the corner, could be here any day people were predicting heavier than air flight was far away even after the wright brothers had managed it.

Deepmind open ai or some other research group could crack agi any day or could have already. As for me expect me to release out in the wild and without safety, I want complete domination from the computer all other races should be subservient to the pc the true master race.

0% chance of this happening. The liabilities alone would destroy Tesla as a company if they released this without infallible cameras and systems which frankly don’t exist and won’t exist for the next 5-10 years. Elon is just trying to be a salesman like always. Saying whatever and paying the fines after the fact.
It's happening. They are already testing on the road as of this moment and its not just Tesla. Since it's a 120 billion dollar industry, self-driving truck isn't going anywhere.

gatti-man

It's happening. They are already testing on the road as of this moment and its not just Tesla. Since it's a 120 billion dollar industry, self-driving truck isn't going anywhere.
Self driving truck and cars aren’t even here so how can they not go anywhere lol. Testing means zip. It’s going to take years and years of testing in all sorts of environments then get some laws passed on the federal level about autonomous vehicles before Tesla will sell them let alone any company actually use them.

Super Mario

Banned
There are 1.3 million deaths in America PER YEAR from car accidents. Let that sink in. Especially with how much of social justice warriors we are on preventing every death possible. People hate change. They will never trust this no matter what the facts say. 1 accident in years of testing this technology is all most people need to know.

kevm3

Nor should they trust this. This is going to wipe out the transportation industry. Who exactly is this technology great for? Filthy rich companies who want to cut labor costs even more? Have fun with wide scale unemployment so that rich CEOs can stuff their pockets with even more money.

Nor should they trust this. This is going to wipe out the transportation industry. Who exactly is this technology great for? Filthy rich companies who want to cut labor costs even more? Have fun with wide scale unemployment so that rich CEOs can stuff their pockets with even more money.
All advancements that you enjoy put people out of work somewhere else at some point.

Grinchy

Banned
It's great for the companies and consumers. It's great for every person who owns a vehicle and uses it to travel to work, to a friend's house, to a bar, to an amusement park, ect.

The only people it's "bad" for are people who drive a vehicle for a living. And since we are really damn far from the day when every vehicle is fully autonomous without a human present, there's plenty of time for the shift to occur. Let's not pretend that "driver" is the first occupation to be lost to a technological advancement.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Lol “just like that”

Even if it works 100% it will take years perhaps decades to adopt. The first commercial tvs were sold in the 1930s but widespread adoption took years. This is a far bigger more fundamental shift than replacing your radio w another box

Jubenhimer

The problem with self-driving cars is that they're machines, they can't do anything outside of what you program them to. So this is going to be terrible if you want to do a lot of traveling. Human input gives the driver more control over where they want to go, and what routes they take. The most I can see coming from this tech is it just being a glorified auto pilot if you need to take a phone call, while being safe.

gatti-man

There are 1.3 million deaths in America PER YEAR from car accidents. Let that sink in. Especially with how much of social justice warriors we are on preventing every death possible. People hate change. They will never trust this no matter what the facts say. 1 accident in years of testing this technology is all most people need to know.
The problem isn’t net safety it’s liability. If it’s your truck and the AI malfunctions or the camera breaks or is too dirty or can’t see who is liable? This is what is the biggest roadblock to AI cars and trucks not the tech itself.

Top Bottom