• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon Musk Likely to Step Down From Twitter (NO POLITICS)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
MD can rob you of your voice. I had a friend who died of MD last year. Plus the guy was typing with one finger (gesture typing)
That reminds me, a buddy of mine has been in IT for over 30 years, still types with two fingers. Fastest two finger typer in the west tho.
Shots Fired Finger Guns GIF by World Chase Tag

DeafTourette

Older than air but younger than the foundations of the earth
That reminds me, a buddy of mine has been in IT for over 30 years, still types with two fingers. Fastest two finger typer in the west tho.
Shots Fired Finger Guns GIF by World Chase Tag

That's pretty cool! I can type pretty fast but I tried to do the George Bush typing and FAILED! LMBO!

Musk changed his tune when he learned that Haraldur's contract was structured in such a way that if he were terminated Twitter would have to pay out his entire $100 million agreement (funny how Musk repeatedly demonstrates that he knows nothing about his employees or company before making important decisions or insulting people):

[IM width="385px"]https://i.redd.it/sjaqecp5ugma1.png[/IMG]

On a side note, Musk fans keep surprising me. I had a group chat exchange with one yesterday in which he asked me "why the stock prices aren't being affected by all of this so called bad news". I asked what stock he was referring to, which he very pompously shot back "Twitter!" and went on to talk about how it has made him so much money over the months since the purchase.

I calmly informed him that the company was taken private after the deal closed in October. That's why all records of Twitter stock prices ended then. This is of course well known to anyone who bothered to follow the story at all, and definitely would be known to any prior shareholders.

He left the group chat.
The amount of money would appear to be what really turned the situation around.

In the initial contact Halli was softly well spoken, intelligent, thoughtful in his responses, honest, patient, emotionally controlled, and showed other maturity. Personal qualities that stand out strongly, which can be quite triggering to people who think they are better than those others that have them and don't value what those qualities in abundance bring out in a person. Thus the laughing emojis. It seems more that Musk wanted to and chose(maybe compelled by emotion) to attack from the low info he had trying to look impressive.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
You don't see the humor in the guy who owns twitter basically saying "better not to talk to people on Twitter"?

lol

I know he means "in serious situations" but it's still funny.

Nobody is "raging"... why in the world are you claiming that when people are just finding things funny?

Last edited:

Bragr

You don't see the humor in the guy who owns twitter basically saying "better not to talk to people on Twitter"?

lol

I know he means "in serious situations" but it's still funny.

Nobody is "raging"... why in the world are you claiming that when people are just finding things funny?
People are calling him a sociopath, there was headline news reports about how he was "mocking disabled people". The anti-Elon campaign is something else, this entire Twitter thing sent people over the edge.

DeafTourette

Older than air but younger than the foundations of the earth
I have no idea what you people are raging against, he made a dumb tweet, realized he was wrong, and called the guy.

You guys really belong on resetera, talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

Not raging but it wasn't "a dumb tweet" and then he apologized... He was setting himself up to be sued for breach of contract, breach of privacy rules concerning an employee, etc. It wasn't just one thing... He KEPT going!

He only apologized AFTER he was told who the fuck that was he was making fun of and firing! The guy was basically on a "do not fire" list.

IntentionalPun

People are calling him a sociopath, there was headline news reports about how he was "mocking disabled people". The anti-Elon campaign is something else, this entire Twitter thing sent people over the edge.
OK you asked me specifically about the humor in the statement about "don't communicate on Twitter" so that's a different topic that anything to do with the shit related directly to the disabled issue.,

But the guy did 3 things:
- Outed private information about a disabled employee
- Claimed he was faking it, and indicated that was part of why he fired him
- He did all of this to attempt to break an agreement involving Twitter buying his company, basically trying to not pay for the company they bought (since effectively the price was built into his employment contract)

The first are 2 pretty big no-no's in a workplace, really likely quite illegal. Even in the US where our employment laws favor the employer, let alone when he has employees like this guy who seem to be employed out of other countries w/ different laws. The 3rd really is just being a fucking asshole trying to break contracts.. also probably illegal.. Musk is currently not paying rent, not paying promised severance packages... basically not giving loads of people the money they are owed. You think that's "nice guy" stuff to do? It's particularly aggregious shit because no law enforcement agency is going to pro-actively help people resolve these things, you have to hire lawyers and sue.. which is the "game" assholes like Musk play. Playing chicken basically.. "I have better lawyers than you"

Most CEOs get that way by being ruthless assholes... aka, in layman's terms.. sociopaths. Musk seems like a prime example of that.

Last edited:

dave_d

Not raging but it wasn't "a dumb tweet" and then he apologized... He was setting himself up to be sued for breach of contract, breach of privacy rules concerning an employee, etc. It wasn't just one thing... He KEPT going!

He only apologized AFTER he was told who the fuck that was he was making fun of and firing! The guy was basically on a "do not fire" list.
So basically more people Should follow this advice.

SlimySnake

The Contrarian
Nah, He's just a moron who speaks without thinking. Most adults, especially adults in charge of multi billion dollar corporations think before they speak.

He comes off as an idiot teenager at best, an 8 year old child at worst. This is not the first time.

And yes, we do need the news to call out this kind of behavior. We dont want to normalize this kind of behavior.

Bragr

The 3rd really is just being a fucking asshole trying to break contracts.. also probably illegal.. Musk is currently not paying rent, not paying promised severance packages... basically not giving loads of people the money they are owed. You think that's "nice guy" stuff to do? It's particularly aggregious shit because no law enforcement agency is going to pro-actively help people resolve these things, you have to hire lawyers and sue.. which is the "game" assholes like Musk play. Playing chicken basically.. "I have better lawyers than you"

Most CEOs get that way by being ruthless assholes... aka, in layman's terms.. sociopaths. Musk seems like a prime example of that.
Dude, do you think you figured this out and know anything about this at all? this is the sort of weird stuff people are saying, I can guarantee you we only know 3% of what is going on.

Bragr

Nah, He's just a moron who speaks without thinking. Most adults, especially adults in charge of multi billion dollar corporations think before they speak.

He comes off as an idiot teenager at best, an 8 year old child at worst. This is not the first time.

And yes, we do need the news to call out this kind of behavior. We dont want to normalize this kind of behavior.
I agree that he can be a moron and that he gets out of line too often. But the attacks on him go too far. Out of all the important things going on in the world, this is nothing, this is media generated because it's popular to go after people. The big sites report on this because they target people.

It happens once in a while, like with Joe Rogan, or Jordan Peterson, or Sam Harris, or whoever has a personality that doesn't fit the line the media draw. It's an insane push to ruin people and it echoes across social media.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Where was I raging dude?

Don't cite what a person literally said or wrote in public, point out their habitually callous actions and statements, reference the litany of times they've childishly attacked others, or find humor in their hypocritical nature and/or stupidity. Otherwise you're "over the edge" and "raging" while engaging in a conspiracy. /s

:pie_eyeroll:

It's projection. Change the target to an individual or group they disagree with and this sentiment magically vanishes while the banter becomes decidedly cruel and ugly on their part.

Shouldn’t rush to throw your people under the bus publicly when it’s avoidable, and certainly when you don’t understand the absolute basics of a situation.

I think you're both right. It would be one thing if this was the first mistake like this Elon made, but he's made a lot of them. That said, people do take it too far, and run headfirst into hyperbole.

Isn't he autistic? That would probably explain a lot of what the rest of us see as issues with social skills.

Taken from wikipedia:
"characterized by challenges in social interaction, verbal and nonverbal communication, and often repetitive behaviors and restricted interests. Other common features include unusual responses to sensory stimuli and a preference for sameness or unusual adherence to routines."

If that is a large factor in his issues with social skills, it would ironically mean his most hateful critics were also "mocking the disabled," wouldn't it?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If that is a large factor in his issues with social skills, it would ironically mean his most hateful critics were also "mocking the disabled," wouldn't it?
All off that goes out the window and is okay by the virtuous™ if 100% of the ideologies don't align. We've seen it time and time again towards select protected™ races, sex, etc..

Not sticking up for the man and some of his actions, none of us are infallible, but the patterns are prevalent in the hyperbole information war in mainly one direction in large.

SlimySnake

The Contrarian
Isn't he autistic? That would probably explain a lot of what the rest of us see as issues with social skills.

Taken from wikipedia:

He might be on the spectrum but this kind of behavior isnt common in autistic people. They might misread social cues but they arent assholes. He's just being an asshole.

I agree that he can be a moron and that he gets out of line too often. But the attacks on him go too far. Out of all the important things going on in the world, this is nothing, this is media generated because it's popular to go after people. The big sites report on this because they target people.

It happens once in a while, like with Joe Rogan, or Jordan Peterson, or Sam Harris, or whoever has a personality that doesn't fit the line the media draw. It's an insane push to ruin people and it echoes across social media.
He's bullying his own employees AFTER firing them. Sam Harris, Jordan Peterson and Joe Rogan were lambasted for their views and opinions that diverged from the norm. The difference with Elon Musk is that he's mistreating his employees, not simply sharing an unpopular or controversial opinion.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
He might be on the spectrum but this kind of behavior isnt common in autistic people. They might misread social cues but they arent assholes. He's just being an asshole.
That is a broad brush. I am sure there are many that are assholes, it's human nature after all. ;)

Anecdotal but relevant. I had an ex who's brother has Asperger syndrome, and he was very similar as far as headstrong in his ways and a total asshole a lot. Especially as he got into his late 30's early 40's.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
You, like many here, have spent weeks in this thread going after his tweets. I get the sense you guys are venting, maybe I am wrong.
Point to an example dude. I’m not rooting against Musk. I will absolutely laugh when he does something stupid, but by no means am I guilty of what you’re suggesting.

And it’s rich that a guy who joined in 2020 is telling me to go join era.

Bragr

Point to an example dude. I’m not rooting against Musk. I will absolutely laugh when he does something stupid, but by no means am I guilty of what you’re suggesting.

And it’s rich that a guy who joined in 2020 is telling me to go join era.
I did a knee-jerk reply because you replied with a meme, I took it as you going after Musk. I guess I was wrong. I apologize.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
You, like many here, have spent weeks in this thread going after his tweets. I get the sense you guys are venting, maybe I am wrong.
I get the sense you are being overly sensitive to relatively reasonable critiques about Musk's socially questionable behavior, which is arguably irresponsible for a person of his standing. Twitter is a huge institution with lots of power and influence. One would hope the person in charge of that power is using it responsibly, as Uncle Ben would advise.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
If we can’t make fun of public figures when they do dumb things, even ones we may respect and adore, what are we even doing? Thicker skin could benefit everyone.

In the grand scheme Tesla & SpaceX are doing a net positive for humanity. Whether Musk is successful with Twitter is largely irrelevant for the future. His ego will survive either way and his humanitarian goals the same.

Rich guy does dumb thing, takes the L, apologizes. Now onto the next dumb thing.

Bragr

I get the sense you are being overly sensitive to relatively reasonable critiques about Musk's socially questionable behavior, which is arguably irresponsible for a person of his standing. Twitter is a huge institution with lots of power and influence. One would hope the person in charge of that power is using it responsibly, as Uncle Ben would advise.
Besides his antics, has he shown actions regarding the platform that is more problematic than it was before?

Musk is an extreme example because he has so much power, but he was beloved a few years ago.

The critiques might be reasonable here, but with a quick glance at places like Reddit or Twitter itself, the amount of hate is extreme. Some communities are so riled up you would think he killed people. And when I see an effort to hang him out to dry in several of the biggest news publications, on every little thing he does, literally on a weekly basis, then I feel like something has gone horribly wrong with this sort of social critique. This is something else.

I honestly think some people get so upset over his somewhat conservative memes against woke people that they will never let it go.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The decay continues:

The service was introduced last year to allow for more secure tweeting. Since the article was published yesterday the service is now be gone (it was https://twitter3e4tixl4xyajtrzo62zg5vztmjuricljdp2c5kshju4avyoid.onion). Perhaps it will be resurrected as something Musk will try to monetize in the future, but it's doubtful given everyone involved with the project was fired or left.

Twitter will probably lose all but its most essential features and services in time - unless, of course, one wants to pay for it.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Besides his antics, has he shown actions regarding the platform that is more problematic than it was before?

Musk is an extreme example because he has so much power, but he was beloved a few years ago.
I'm not sure what you mean by this question. Most of the criticism in this thread is concerning his antics both in shitposting and in his managerial style. That's the point, right?

The critiques might be reasonable here, but with a quick glance at places like Reddit or Twitter itself, the amount of hate is extreme. Some communities are so riled up you would think he killed people. And when I see an effort to hang him out to dry in several of the biggest news publications, on every little thing he does, literally on a weekly basis, then I feel like something has gone horribly wrong with this sort of social critique. This is something else.
Okay, so take it up with them, not us. I think most of us here acknowledge that there are others out there who have an axe to grind over Elon. That doesn't mean it's our responsibility to overcorrect in the other direction. Call it on a case by case basis.

I honestly think some people get so upset over his somewhat conservative memes against woke people that they will never let it go.
People who are going to play team sports are going to play team sports. Shed yourself of the tribal burden, and it won't bother you so much anymore.

The decay continues:

The service was introduced last year to allow for more secure tweeting. Since the article was published yesterday the service is now be gone (it was https://twitter3e4tixl4xyajtrzo62zg5vztmjuricljdp2c5kshju4avyoid.onion). Perhaps it will be resurrected as something Musk will try to monetize in the future, but it's doubtful given everyone involved with the project was fired or left.

Twitter will probably lose all but its most essential features and services in time - unless, of course, one wants to pay for it.

That was easy to find:

Bragr

I'm not sure what you mean by this question. Most of the criticism in this thread is concerning his antics both in shitposting and in his managerial style. That's the point, right?

Okay, so take it up with them, not us. I think most of us here acknowledge that there are others out there who have an axe to grind over Elon. That doesn't mean it's our responsibility to overcorrect in the other direction. Call it on a case by case basis.

People who are going to play team sports are going to play team sports. Shed yourself of the tribal burden, and it won't bother you so much anymore.
Na, you can see shades of the intense attacks on Musk here too, it might not be as vile, but this incessant need to go after him and tell everyone how bad he is doing is still showing up in an abnormal way. And I think this is how the system works now, some elements in the media over-report on him, legitimizing the incessant critique, then social media takes over and turns it into humor, memes, and anger that rolls over him over and over until he is destroyed.

But he also has a lot of fans, and a lot of money, so he can withstand it to some extent, at least so far.

Taken from wikipedia:
"characterized by challenges in social interaction, verbal and nonverbal communication, and often repetitive behaviors and restricted interests. Other common features include unusual responses to sensory stimuli and a preference for sameness or unusual adherence to routines."

That seems very quickly dismissive. Do you know many autistic people or have experience working with them? Because a lot of the description of the condition seems to fit.

And getting back to this for a moment:

It was acceptable before for the "old guard", which is the entire discussion. Anyway Elonjet is still suspended, so it looks like a permanent ban making your whole point moot.

The last I heard, Elonjet was allowed to keep his account, provided he delay the flight info for one day. If that isn't the case, and it was a permanent ban, then I do disagree with that. I stand by my words that permanent bans should be avoided as much as possible, and I'd disagree with Elon on that action. It wouldn't be the first time.

Actually, I decided to look myself. Original account is still suspended. I don't agree with that. New account can post delayed info, is not suspended. Seems to be run by the same person. Not a perfect solution, but still MUCH better than old twitter removing people forever. An example:

I agree that Musk should reinstate the original account.

The last I heard, Elonjet was allowed to keep his account, provided he delay the flight info for one day. If that isn't the case, and it was a permanent ban, then I do disagree with that. I stand by my words that permanent bans should be avoided as much as possible, and I'd disagree with Elon on that action. It wouldn't be the first time.

Actually, I decided to look myself. Original account is still suspended. I don't agree with that. New account can post delayed info, is not suspended. Seems to be run by the same person. Not a perfect solution, but still MUCH better than old twitter removing people forever. An example:

I agree that Musk should reinstate the original account.

It's a new account. In social media terms it's a new user, anyone could have set up a new jet tracking account on delay. Its a posthoc olive branch that it happens to be run by the same person.

Your argument isn't "old twitter removing people forever". Your argument is the rules didn't change, and this clearly proves they did. On Musk's whims.

It's a new account. In social media terms it's a new user, anyone could have set up a new jet tracking account on delay. Its a posthoc olive branch that it happens to be run by the same person.

Your argument isn't "old twitter removing people forever". Your argument is the rules didn't change, and this clearly proves they did. On Musk's whims.
This was the exact wording of my original claim: As far as I'm aware, none of the actual rules have changed, just the edge-case enforcement.

The rule of not doxing people did not change. The enforcement changed, because a unique situation required it (or didn't, depending on your perspective) Unless someone was giving real time location information about someone old twitter would have wanted to protect before Musk got there, and they specifically said they wouldn't censor that info, then "twitter didn't do this before musk" doesn't mean a lot to me.

And there was no such posthoc olive branch given to banned accounts before musk. If you made another account, they'd ban that one too. For higher profile bans, old twitter would ban accounts for merely tweeting something that the banned user said on another platform, even if that content itself didn't violate any rules.

Elon Musk is objectively better for free speech at twitter, even if he is a hypocrite when it comes to his stated goals, and even if he could do a lot better. Twitter has barely changed (if at all) when it comes to transparency, and they have not made any actions towards reinstating all the banned accounts that came before Musk. Better than before, sure, but Musk has disappointed in a lot of ways.

Although again, "Original account is still suspended. I don't agree with that. I agree that Musk should reinstate the original account."

Last edited:
This was the exact wording of my original claim: As far as I'm aware, none of the actual rules have changed, just the edge-case enforcement.

The rule of not doxing people did not change. The enforcement changed, because a unique situation required it (or didn't, depending on your perspective) Unless someone was giving real time location information about someone old twitter would have wanted to protect before Musk got there, and they specifically said they wouldn't censor that info, then "twitter didn't do this before musk" doesn't mean a lot to me.

And there was no such posthoc olive branch given to banned accounts before musk. If you made another account, they'd ban that one too. For higher profile bans, old twitter would ban accounts for merely tweeting something that the banned user said on another platform, even if that content itself didn't violate any rules.

Elon Musk is objectively better for free speech at twitter, even if he is a hypocrite when it comes to his stated goals, and even if he could do a lot better. Twitter has barely changed (if at all) when it comes to transparency, and they have not made any actions towards reinstating all the banned accounts that came before Musk. Better than before, sure, but Musk has disappointed in a lot of ways.

Although again, "Original account is still suspended. I don't agree with that. I agree that Musk should reinstate the original account."

Musk was the one that decided it was a unique situation, despite trying before to get the Elonjet account removed, and once he had the power he could do it. It's convenient that you don't care, in this instance about old Twitter because that's the easiest way to see that something changed. The rules changed because the definition of doxxing changed, how do I know this? Musk changed the definition at least twice before the delayed account was instated. It wasn't just the enforcement (and if it was, that enforcement was also on a whim made up on the spot) but there was no rule breach before it affected Musk.

To be clear, it went from no enforcement to full enforcement. That does not indicate just the enforcement changed.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
well, if the bot pulls the information that means there's a public API providing it, so, it looks public to me.
Once again, flight manifests are not public information. Elon Musk should be afforded the very same anonymity as you or I when boarding a plane. It's just easier to receive said information since these wealthy people own their own planes more often than not.

It's some stalker ass shit no matter how you cut it.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Flight manifests are not supposed to be public information.
That's not a flight manifest.

It's just the actual airplane's departure's and landings, which are public info. I mean, they are required to broadcast said info over open radio signals even.

Difference is the man owns an airplane. We don't know he's on it.

I agree it's creepy shit though.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Dude, do you think you figured this out and know anything about this at all? this is the sort of weird stuff people are saying, I can guarantee you we only know 3% of what is going on.

This is not a secret. The situation is quite similar to the executives he fired last year quickly after taking over "for cause" and is currently in lawsuits w/ those people.

The situation that just happened was, guy got let go.. guy tried to contact HR about the money he is owed, no one got back to him.. he @'d Elon.. and Elon's answer was his rant claiming the guy was useless, was fake disabled, etc.

AKA he is trying not to pay the guy out and publicly bashing him just like he did those executives last August.

Nor is it a secret he hasn't been paying rent, hasn't been paying for services, etc.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

There are apps where you can point your phone at the sky and see the airplane info. Same apps you can put in a plane's "tag number" and just track them.

What the guy does is he uses an API from one of those services to publicly name which plane is Elon's and then of course broadcast it's info. IIRC plane ownership records are public, and then it's a matter of figuring out whose LLC owns it. The celebs never deny they own it, because they do lol.

It's creepy ass shit, and it's not what the vast majority of people using that info are doing. They do compile information on people's planes to sort of shame them for being super wasteful, which is not really anything creepy.

It's particularly egregious that places like that purple site will argue to their death that there's nothing creepy about that ElonJet account. "It can't be used to stalk!" just utter bullshit.. they think private jets land at hectic airports like LAX, but they don't.. they land at small airports where there are roads nearby where they can see them landing. At that point, it's a matter of "is Elon actually on the plane?" which wouldn't be too hard to tell with a simple pair of binoculars. They also want to claim it's the same as someone being scene at an NFL game, when it isn't.. because flying into a public airport and into a car puts you in a much more compromising position.

Just complete lack of empathy on many of those people.

Last edited:
There are apps where you can point your phone at the sky and see the airplane info. Same apps you can put in a plane's "tag number" and just track them.

What the guy does is he uses an API from one of those services to publicly name which plane is Elon's and then of course broadcast it's info. IIRC plane ownership records are public, and then it's a matter of figuring out whose LLC owns it. The celebs never deny they own it, because they do lol.

It's creepy ass shit, and it's not what the vast majority of people using that info are doing. They do compile information on people's planes to sort of shame them for being super wasteful, which is not really anything creepy.

It's particularly egregious that places like that purple site will argue to their death that there's nothing creepy about that ElonJet account. "It can't be used to stalk!" just utter bullshit.. they think private jets land at hectic airports like LAX, but they don't.. they land at small airports where there are roads nearby where they can see them landing. At that point, it's a matter of "is Elon actually on the plane?" which wouldn't be too hard to tell with a simple pair of binoculars. They also want to claim it's the same as someone being scene at an NFL game, when it isn't.. because flying into a public airport and into a car puts you in a much more compromising position.

Just complete lack of empathy on many of those people.
Weird people.

That's like all the grifters in California you hear about selling celeb maps to tourists so they can drive by their mansion and hope to get a glimpse of them.

Whether their house address is public knowledge from a directory or leaked to the public, I find it insane Person A would round up the info tracking it in the first place, and Person B who would use that info and follow their every move.

Dumbassery at its best.

SF Kosmo

The Trigglypuff
I have no idea what you people are raging against, he made a dumb tweet, realized he was wrong, and called the guy.

You guys really belong on resetera, talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.
Look, no "rage" but this sort of stuff would get anyone fired if they weren't the billionaire owner of the country. He didn't just talk out of his ass, be disclosed a man's disability and breached his buyout contract at a minimum. He's an idiot and he's severely out of touch with what is and isn't okay in the professional context.

He is also exposing that Twitter has basically no functioning HR department. This company is in really bad shape, I don't think they're gonna make it.

Top Bottom