• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 3, Fallout 4, Fallout New Vegas. Which do you prefer and why?

Durmos

Neo Member
ummm fallout 76 isnt an option?
Its easily GOAT!
But real talk i liked Fallout 3 the most just because it came out first and i have a bit more nostalgia for
then new vegas, which i had fun with but for some reason it didn't click with me as much
and i didnt play 4 more than 10 mins cause it was shit (sorry not sorry)

Aren117

New Vegas was a buggy mess that couldn't let me finish it, so I'll take Fallout 3 for being at least less buggy.

Didn't play enough of 4, got stuck doing settlement building.

This is the easiest answer in the world, New Vegas.

It's the best written, feels like you're actually returning to the same world as 1 and 2, the others felt like (and probably should have been) a separate continuity altogether.

I haven't played 4, just 3 and NV. I prefer NV because of these factors:

-Intricate story/politics/factions
-getting involved with factions felt very natural/fluid, not like "one decision to join"
-well-developed followers with interesting stories/quests
-I liked how the skills system worked

IKSTUGA

4 > 3 > New Vegas.

I have a huge amount of nostalgia for F3 (first WRPG I got into), but mechanically F4 is just more interesting. New Vegas I just didn't like that much. On my playthrough of it I encountered a game breaking bug that made it impossible to finish the game. Also, the game world was too populated for my tastes. I just love the atmosphere in the empty wastelands of F3 and F4.

Last edited:

rofif

Fallout 3. Best atmosphere and details.
I did not like the legion and mr house stuff in NV and hated all factions in 4. Also 3 has least bugs.
It might also be some nostalgia but getting out of vault in Fallout 3 was MIND BLOWING when the game came out

Zelent

Compared to the original Fallout series, they are all bad (I really don't like Bethesda's take on the franchise).

That being said, if I had to pick one, I'd say New Vegas was pretty decent.

JimmyJones

Banned
I thought 3 was the best initially. I traded New Vegas in a week after I bought it because the amount of options overwhelmed me. I was an idiot in hindsight. New Vegas is the best out of the newer Fallout games, it's not even close.

Bethesda have a habit of making their newer games worse than the previous. I don't have high hopes for the new Elder Scrolls...

TheContact

I put way more hours into 3 than I did New Vegas. I think that New Vegas is the better game, but I had more fun with 3's quests. Maybe it was because I spent so much time into 3 that when NV came out, I was a little burnt out from the Fallout world. Fallout 4 got a bad rap at first but, in my opinion, the worst part about FO4 was the dialogue system. Unlike 3 and NV, your choices didn't really matter, and what you chose on screen wasn't an accurate representation of what you thought you were going to say. I'm not sure why they dumbed down the dialogue so much. Every other part of the game I feel is great.

My answer is still 3 though. I have a lot more memorable times with that game than I do of any other Fallout game.

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
First time through: New Vegas

Best Modded Experience/Most interesting Mods for subsequent playthroughs: Fallout 4.

I honestly have a PC primarily for playing modded Bethesda Games.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Vegas had soul but shit gameplay
3 was shit
4 has the best gameplay to date but outside the dlc is barren like a 50 y/o's womb.

MiguelItUp

I thought 3 had the most captivating story, not to mention it was just so exciting as it was the first time Fallout was approaching the new style. It was such a change, but it was so good. I loved it so much. New Vegas brought an even better gameplay experience across the board IMO.

Fallout 4 to me was just so incredibly meh, I honestly don't even remember if I beat it, but I'm pretty sure I did?.... That being said I'm sure the mods are best for FO4.

adamosmaki

Fallout 3 > Fallout NV >>>>>>>>Fallout 4
I liked the atmosphere of 3 more than NV and i love exploring in 3. NV thought felt a better RPG with better storyline.
As for 4 i hated that . I didn't like the building in this kind of game let alone KB+M controls felt a bit off and i had to switch between M+KB and gamepad all the time. Let alone i cant even remember a memorable character out of that game and its rpg elements were dumbed down

drganon

I actually really enjoyed fallout 4. I had a hard time getting into the previous games to be honest. Maybe if I played them again I'd like them more. Either way, I'd say 4 has become somewhat underrated.

Fallout 3 is miles ahead of the other two games for me. Much better story, environments (the metro tunnels are incredible!), missions, atmosphere and just about everything else.

Fallout 4 was fun, but a little dumbed down. Still a very solid game that I enjoyed very much. The crafting shit was utterly pointless though and a waste of time.

I Never liked New Vegas much and never understood the love for it. To me it's just so much worse than Fallout 3 in every possible way. I really don't agree that it has better writing, missions or that it is supposedly better as an RPG. Don't like the western stuff either.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'll be honest, I don't like any of them anymore. There are better post-apocalyptic shooters out there, better open-world designs out there, better RPGs out there, better Fallout games out there. They sold on the brand name and the lack of competitors.

The Bethesda Fallout games were a great shot of nostalgia released at a perfect time when the market didn't have many games like this. Now the imitators are everywhere and they're better.

If I had to pick, I'd say New Vegas, but I don't think I'll ever return to the Fallout world unless I'm replaying 1, 2, or Tactics.

Teslerum

I'll be honest, I don't like any of them anymore. There are better post-apocalyptic shooters out there, better open-world designs out there, better RPGs out there, better Fallout games out there. They sold on the brand name and the lack of competitors.

The Bethesda Fallout games were a great shot of nostalgia released at a perfect time when the market didn't have many games like this. Now the imitators are everywhere and they're better.

If I had to pick, I'd say New Vegas, but I don't think I'll ever return to the Fallout world unless I'm replaying 1, 2, or Tactics.

What?

I can't think of a single one. There's.... Yeah, got nuthin.

Edit: Yeah, I've really got nothing. There's Elex (Gothic), Eurojank, Isometric RTWP/Turn-Based, theres even some blobbers released, but straight up Fallout 3/Elder Scrolls clones? No.

Edit2: If we're talking Fallout games on the whole

Fallout 1 > Fallout: New Vegas >> Fallout 2 >>>>>>>> Fallout Tactics > Fallout 3 > Fallout 4 >>>>> Fallout 76.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
What?

I can't think of a single one. There's.... Yeah, got nuthin.

Edit: Yeah, I've really got nothing. There's Elex (Gothic), Isometric RTWP/Turn-Based, theres even some blobbers released, but straight up Fallout 3/Elder Scrolls clones? No.
A few off the top of my head, depending on what kind of fix you get from Fallout: Metro series, Borderlands series, modern Far Cry series, Mad Max, STALKER, ATOM RPG. I'm sure I could hunt down more on Steam or GOG but those ones are all pretty known.

An upcoming example would be Outer Worlds.

I'm also excluding all the isometric imitators like Wasteland 2.

Teslerum

A few off the top of my head, depending on what kind of fix you get from Fallout: Metro series, Borderlands series, modern Far Cry series, Mad Max, STALKER, ATOM RPG. I'm sure I could hunt down more on Steam or GOG but those ones are all pretty known.

An upcoming example would be Outer Worlds.

I'm also excluding all the isometric imitators like Wasteland 2.

Yeah, none of those are the same as Bethesda RPG's. 2 are straight up shooters (Far Cry, Metro), Stalker released before Fallout 3 (and isn't like Bethesda Fallout at all), Mad Max is a better Ubisoft sandbox and Atom RPG is isometric/top-down turn-based, much closer to the earlier Fallouts.

Outer Worlds is the closest I can think of and even then thats gonna feel quite a bit different as not open-world.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Yeah, none of those are the same as Bethesda RPG's. 2 are straight up shooters (Far Cry, Metro), Stalker released before Fallout 3 (and isn't like Bethesda Fallout at all), Mad Max is a better Ubisoft sandbox and Atom RPG is isometric/top-down turn-based, much closer to the earlier Fallouts.

Outer Worlds is the closest I can think of and even then thats gonna feel quite a bit different as not open-world.
No accounting for taste, which is why I said imitators.

TexMex

I didn't have a decent PC for any of them, and 3 (PS3) was honestly the most broken game I've ever purchased. Countless glitches and game breaking bugs and some out and out crashes made it impossible to progress, so I couldn't and just gave up around 5-6 hours. Never attempted Vegas.

4 didn't exactly run like a dream on PS4, but it was sure better than 3 on PS3.

Codswallop_

Neophyte
Having put 100+ hours into all of these...New Vegas far and away. IMO it had the best developed story, had far greater depth in gameplay and dialog choices, and your choices actually felt meaningful in the way they impacted the game. It also still had skill checks, which Fallout 4 ditched aside from one memorable mission.

Fallout 3 was fun at the time, but feels pretty dated today.

Fallout 4 is the prettiest and has the best shooting, but overall the experience felt pretty vanilla for a Fallout game. The rpg elements were scaled back in favour of making it into more of a fps looter shooter, and the radiant fetch quests became mind numbing. Also found the settlement system more of a headache than anything else. I still got all the endings and played through the dlc, but there's no urge to ever go back to it. Meanwhile I'd buy a NV remake day one.

4 its pretty but its too much simplfied for building your character that well meh compared on older series and lack of karma system(that all your builds will become jack of all trades than older titles that still stuck on build in 100+ hrs)

Builds on Fallout 3 and New Vegas has more fluid and focused on pro and cons of your char builds than 4 + adding its difficulty curve on it due restriction of a build

Fallout 3 well this one best as primary fallout series but its issue mostly its buggy but more okay than 4 story building with choices that can changes moral values aka karma of your character then the world see on you

Fallout New vegas its updated version of 3 with good faction system that can be tied on your character + its karma system

Last edited:

desertdroog

New Vegas. It's the closest to the Obsidian world we got in 3D. It's too bad it was on such a tight deadline, imagine what could have been had the developers had more time to work through making the factions fully realized.

Rodolink

Haven't played 4, didn't grabbed my attention.
New Vegas is by far the best. Better narrative, better quests, better world more reminiscent of the first Fallouts. NV is what the real F3 should've been. f3 is shit.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
3 had the coolest world
4 was cool in VR
Las vegas was kinda bland.

Maybe if it was a dlc for 3 i would have liked it more? ☹

Fitzchiv

I'm by no means on the hate train for Fallout 4, I spent a hell of a lot of hours on that game including post-completion dicking around making bases...but...something IS missing from it. I've never quite put my finger on what it is. People get bent out of shape about the voiced protagonist and that's certainly a small factor toward a bigger theme that it's simply lost it's charm and personality. I think that's the closest i can get to the real reason people aren't able to move past the single issue that's particularly annoying for them; the rollup impact is Fallout 4 just isn't charming.

As for the comparison, I'm with the bulk of everyone else, it's got to be Fallout NV. Fallout 3 is a great game, although I've never touched it since completing it when it came out so it might be interesting to chuck it in the X1X myself at some point, but I remember the story and overall personality of NV to be superior. It's the first game I 100%'d on the 360.

They're all good games in their own right, though. I do worry about the Fallout franchise a bit, especially with the cash grab that is Fallout 76. People often talk about Bioware going down the shitter this gen but Bethesda have taken several steps backwards themselves.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I’m one of those weird’u s that likes them in this order:

3>NV>4

Now as to why... I couldn’t really tell you. I think if I picked any single thing, that result would always be different. Like location, it goes 4>3>NV, but story goes NV>3>4. But overall, as an RPG game, 3 was for me the peak.

There’s no question though that 4 usually sits last in most areas, it was just too much of a step backward.

raduque

New Vegas > 4 > 3

I love the NV setting, characters and storylines. It feels more like a real place. I enjoyed 4's crafting (love upgrading armor and switching around components on guns), but hated settlement building. 3 laid the groundwork, but IMO was the least impressive story-wise.

Bl@de

New Vegas is the best because it's the best RPG and has the best writing.
Fallout 3 is good because I like the world.
Fallout 4 is garbage. Shooting mechanics, animations and the engine are improved. But the game is trash. Bad RPG, terrible writing, mediocre world.

EDIT: Favourite Fallout is Fallout 1. Short and sweet.

Last edited:

Furozen

Fallout 3 was boring. I've never finished my first playthrough of the game.
Never played Fallout 4. I lack motivation to do so.
I love Fallout: New Vegas and I can't wait to play The Outer Worlds.

Top Bottom