• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI | OT | Vana'diel Forever

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
AN OFFER FOR LONG TIME PLAYERS.

guys, I've a present for you. my mother is moving so I cleaned out my old room. found a code for a "stuffed chocobo".

the code is 7 years old, so I've no(!!) idea if it still works. but if one of you wants it...the first to quote me gets it.

DISCLAIMER: really. I've no idea if it still works! also, please if you are a player who just wants to play a week or something like that...leave the code for someone else ._."

AN OFFER FOR LONG TIME PLAYERS.

guys, I've a present for you. my mother is moving so I cleaned out my old room. found a code for a "stuffed chocobo".

the code is 7 years old, so I've no(!!) idea if it still works. but if one of you wants it...the first to quote me gets it.

DISCLAIMER: really. I've no idea if it still works! also, please if you are a player who just wants to play a week or something like that...leave the code for someone else ._."

I'll take it if you still have. I'll let you know if it worked.

Clear

For anyone planning to jump on, keep in mind that, unlike previous return campaigns, this one only lasts for 3 days, so don't wait too long! :)

I'd add that I wouldn't recommend installing the windows client they are enouraging people to take on the website if you just fancy jumping back in for a short time. Although its an all-in-one package* with all add-ons and expansions, it requires an extremely lengthy update before you can join in. And when I say lengthy, I'm talking 10+ hours due to the slowness of the file-servers.

*The "Seeker's Edition" they are pushing for people moving to PC from the soon-to-be-defunct console versions essentially contains the original PC data disks, which is really dumb as what its effectively doing is serving people files that are often over a decade out of date! Just to put this into context, what this essentially means is that the .dat for virtually every item in the game needs replacing. Why they didn't include an archive based on a recent snapshot is beyond me, as it would save a huge amount of time.

I was hooked on this game like no other ever or since in my life. From 2004 to 2006 FFXI was my everything to the point I had to swear off any MMORPG after this or it could destroy me.

I'm amazed how different the game is now to when I played it a decade ago! It's unrecognizable.

DarkKyo

Greetings, XI GAF! I've had the sudden unstoppable urge over the past couple of days to sub and play. Going to be making a new character on Sylph so at some point I'll be seeking a link pearl. I haven't played in forever so I was wondering if anything had changed about the sub job quest in recent years. There's still no way to solo it when you come of level to accept it I assume?

ZetaEpyon

Greetings, XI GAF! I've had the sudden unstoppable urge over the past couple of days to sub and play. Going to be making a new character on Sylph so at some point I'll be seeking a link pearl. I haven't played in forever so I was wondering if anything had changed about the sub job quest in recent years. There's still no way to solo it when you come of level to accept it I assume?

The quest itself is the same, but several years back they did increase the drop rate on the items quite a bit. Between that and the ability to use Trust NPCs for your own party, it is definitely soloable now.

Parshias7

Completing an early section of Rhapsodies of Vana'diel will give you a KI that lets you skip collecting the three items and get your subjob.

DarkKyo

Wow! Very cool, thanks for the info. There is so much I don't know about the game now(for example, the Rhapsodies thing you just mentioned) but I feel like you've given me some really good tips to research.

Thanks all! Is there a certain level I have to be to be able to get a linkpearl?

Loona

Wow! Very cool, thanks for the info. There is so much I don't know about the game now(for example, the Rhapsodies thing you just mentioned) but I feel like you've given me some really good tips to research.

Rhapsodies is the latest mission line in the game, which sort of wraps around the others, in a way (if you played Dissidia, it's not unlike Warrior of Light's story mode, which is associated with the highest level of difficulty and likelier to be started last, but cronologically begins before the others and ends after everyone else's).

Progress in those mentions at some points requires some advancement in other mission lines, and when it does, what follows is best enjoyed by completing those other mission lines while you're at it. Along the way you get some key items that help with just about everything else in the game, like making exp gain higher and making some things cheaper, mostly those that use the game's wide variety of event-specific currencies.

You might want to look into Records of Eminence as well - that usually gets you exp bonuses for completing certain tasks, some of them one-time landmarks of progress in the game... other rewards can consists in things like gear, crystals or even NPC party members (Trust alter egos - really handy for soloing content).

DarkKyo

No, just send one of us a tell when you get online, and we can get you a pearl.

Awesome. I'll probably be on sometime later tonight so I'll let the thread know.

You might want to look into Records of Eminence as well - that usually gets you exp bonuses for completing certain tasks, some of them one-time landmarks of progress in the game... other rewards can consists in things like gear, crystals or even NPC party members (Trust alter egos - really handy for soloing content).

Damn, this is some really helpful stuff for leveling/exp gain, but it seems really complicated and sprawled out for people who are new or returning. Is there a single best new character guide out there designed for fastest exp gain and covering important quests and shortcuts you might miss(like for example how I would have missed the subjob shortcut if it weren't for you guys letting me know)? Not that it matters but I haven't played seriously in like 7-9 years, and the highest I ever got was a 61 Dragoon back when you needed to party for many hours to level up, so I'm a bit lost when it comes to soloing content and soloing leveling.

Bane

Now that the story is all done I want to come back and finish it. I'd love to join you guys on Sylph but I'm positive I'd have to change my character's name, Bain, and perhaps It's a bit silly but as it's my first ever mmo character going back to '03 I just can't bring myself to do it.

Husker86

Holy shit. Steelshells/Flys in Boyahda from 65-69 level sync'd with my friend. 3800-5k xp per kill with Emperor. We have been screwing up not going for ITs!

I have such fond memories of XI that it'd kill me to go back into it, where you get thousands of exp. It just feels wrong. I slaved for months leveling up, the oppressive struggle forged friendships deeper than I have ever known, or ever will know. Yeah, it's better designed, now. Yeah, you can have AI partners instead of being 5/6 looking for a brd/rdm/pld/nin, but is it really FFXI if you're not suffering every moment and loving it?

I just don't know.

I just don't know...

I miss Lufaise Meadows. I miss Sarutabaruta .

Hell, I even miss Sky. If only barely. It's been years since I stopped playing. I think they raised the cap to 80 just as I was leaving. The memories still flow.

Help, the nostalgia is overtaking me.

Husker86

I have such fond memories of XI that it'd kill me to go back into it, where you get thousands of exp. It just feels wrong. I slaved for months leveling up, the oppressive struggle forged friendships deeper than I have ever known, or ever will know. Yeah, it's better designed, now. Yeah, you can have AI partners instead of being 5/6 looking for a brd/rdm/pld/nin, but is it really FFXI if you're not suffering every moment and loving it?

I just don't know.

I just don't know...

Hell, I even miss Sky. If only barely. It's been years since I stopped playing. I think they raised the cap to 80 just as I was leaving. The memories still flow.

I loved experiencing that part of FFXI. But I also still can't believe the time I put into this game back then. I don't have that time now.

It's fun getting powerful and doing the things I missed (though I haven't done those things yet, I'll be able to get to the point to do them in a reasonable amount of time).

I want an Aegis, that's actually possible for me now. I will not quit again until I get one!

Loona

Famitsu has an interview with apparently the scenario writers for the game, primarily for the Windurst, Promathia and Rhapsodies missions, from what I could tell from Google Translate:

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201603/23101945.html

And if the translation didn't let me down, no wonder chapter 3 of Rhapsodies was so good - apparently they started working on that first to make sure they'd meet the 11/11 deadline.

There's also some mention near the end of a hidden reference to CoP in Rhapsodies's title - I'm not sure if it's the fact that the Japanese name is something like "Vana'diel no Hoshi Uta", "Vana'diel's Star Song", which could be a nod to those recurring verses about amidst the darkness and roaring chaos a bright star shines as a song rises, and "that star is you and the song is yours" - that's doesn't sound specifically CoP'ish, but CoP does go the deepest into the game's mythology...

DarkKyo

I started playing on Sylph today. I started in Bastok, when someone gets the chance I'd love a linkpearl! I'd feel bad if you came to Bastok just for me so I can always wait until I get to an area that you higher levels might hang out at like Jeuno(if that's where people still hang lol).

My character's name is Capsule.

B.K.

I'd feel bad if you came to Bastok just for me so I can always wait until I get to an area that you higher levels might hang out at like Jeuno(if that's where people still hang lol).

Why feel bad? It takes 30 seconds to go to any of the cities now.

Taruranto

Used this chance to log in my old Ragnarok character, it feels super weird, I didn't even have WotG installed lol.

R3YdLSB.png

I'll check Ragna for a while and then log on with my main. Managed to get hang of an old friend from 2009 or so.

I just don't know.

I just don't know...

You're basically me. I was hopelessly addicted to this game from 2004 to 2006. Shunned my real life friends and my grades dropped. It was bad. But on the upside I got to be a badass PLD75 (before level caps were raised). Got all story missions done including the tough as nails CoP one (goddamn were those difficult, especially the three-in-one 6-4) and even all Dynamis beat. In fact a week after me and my Linkshell beat Dynamis Xarcabard was when I suddenly stopped having the will to keep playing and quit cold turkey for my own sanity.

From what I've been reading here and elsewhere FFXI is unrecognizable, it's so goddamn different now!

I too have been overwhelmed by nostalgia lately. I may shed a tear for real the day the game gets shut down for good.

Loona

You're basically me. I was hopelessly addicted to this game from 2004 to 2006. Shunned my real life friends and my grades dropped. It was bad. But on the upside I got to be a badass PLD75 (before level caps were raised). Got all story missions done including the tough as nails CoP one (goddamn were those difficult, especially the three-in-one 6-4) and even all Dynamis beat. In fact a week after me and my Linkshell beat Dynamis Xarcabard was when I suddenly stopped having the will to keep playing and quit cold turkey for my own sanity.

From what I've been reading here and elsewhere FFXI is unrecognizable, it's so goddamn different now!

I too have been overwhelmed by nostalgia lately. I may shed a tear for real the day the game gets shut down for good.

I can almost guarantee that if you play Rhapsodies of Vana'diel to completion you will shed that tear while getting closure.

Rawk Hawk

I can almost guarantee that if you play Rhapsodies of Vana'diel to completion you will shed that tear while getting closure.

This may be something I have to do at some point, I know the game is solo friendly now, but how time friendly is it? With work and kids now, I'd have maybe 3-4 hours a week to hop on, maybe for half hours at a time.

Obviously in lv75 cap world, that would be completely worthless, but I'm guessing now it's not that way?

I may try out one of the new jobs, my SAM and BRD are 80 from before I left, but may unlock Geomancer or Runefencer to play the game fairly fresh, after the weekend we will see if it hooks me enough to pay for a few more months.

This may be something I have to do at some point, I know the game is solo friendly now, but how time friendly is it? With work and kids now, I'd have maybe 3-4 hours a week to hop on, maybe for half hours at a time.

Obviously in lv75 cap world, that would be completely worthless, but I'm guessing now it's not that way?

I may try out one of the new jobs, my SAM and BRD are 80 from before I left, but may unlock Geomancer or Runefencer to play the game fairly fresh, after the weekend we will see if it hooks me enough to pay for a few more months.
your progress will be slow, but you will enjoy how many levels a week you are getting despite only playing 3-4 hours. Story missions besides rhapsodies can take some time, but rhapsodies itself is quick

Rawk Hawk

your progress will be slow, but you will enjoy how many levels a week you are getting despite only playing 3-4 hours. Story missions besides rhapsodies can take some time, but rhapsodies itself is quick

Not bad, thanks! Now I just need to figure out what job I want to play.. which is always harder than it sounds.

Kyolux

I just uninstalled the game like a week or two ago and now there's free login on a long week-end where I have a few days with nothing to do?

:/ S-E, :/.

The tought of having to mess around to beat the part where I have to catch the last cait sith in WotG is helping me not reinstalling though. Got tired having to walk back every few tries because it wouldn't just move up.

Loona

The game's former major timesinks were levelling and travelling, and both got addressed fairly well in the past few years.

For transport, there are are multiple kinds of teleports you can use nowadays, most of which just require you to reach the location the old-fashined way once - for example, nowadays practically all battlefield entrance stops have a home point crystal in them, so once you've activated that you can just use any other homepoint to teleport there in exchange for some gil. So if you want to do the prime avatar fights regularly you only need to cross the dungeons that lead to them once, and if you do those fights for the gil, they more than pay for the trip.

As for levels, you gain more exp per kill, even more the more you progress in Rhapsodies, and with some reasonably-chosen Records of Eminence objectives set in your Quests menu you'll get extra exp just for doing stuff you were already goin to do anyway, some of it one-time (completing missions, unlocking jobs, levelling a job to a certain point, AF quests, etc,,,), some of it repeatable (kill # mobs, get 10 crystals of a certain time to drop, do # total damage, etc...). This might help, if missing a few parts: https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Category:Records_of_Eminence

Rawk Hawk

The game's former major timesinks were levelling and travelling, and both got addressed fairly well in the past few years.

For transport, there are are multiple kinds of teleports you can use nowadays, most of which just require you to reach the location the old-fashined way once - for example, nowadays practically all battlefield entrance stops have a home point crystal in them, so once you've activated that you can just use any other homepoint to teleport there in exchange for some gil. So if you want to do the prime avatar fights regularly you only need to cross the dungeons that lead to them once, and if you do those fights for the gil, they more than pay for the trip.

As for levels, you gain more exp per kill, even more the more you progress in Rhapsodies, and with some reasonably-chosen Records of Eminence objectives set in your Quests menu you'll get extra exp just for doing stuff you were already goin to do anyway, some of it one-time (completing missions, unlocking jobs, levelling a job to a certain point, AF quests, etc,,,), some of it repeatable (kill # mobs, get 10 crystals of a certain time to drop, do # total damage, etc...). This might help, if missing a few parts: https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Category:Records_of_Eminence

Wow RoE is nice.. I came back for a welcome back in 2015 and I remember someone mentioning it, but I got a chance to play for like an hour this morning and gained like 3 levels on Dancer in Crawler's Nest. Thanks!

Korezo

Can I play through the new campaign they got going on? I haven't played since like 2008, and it states canceled accounts can't play so I'm not sure what the campaign is for.

DarkKyo

I told some people in the LS online yesterday but I figured I should post it here: I wasn't satisfied with my new character's name (Capsule), so he has become my alt bank. My new character is named Blutarch, so at some point I'll be joining the LS as that and getting rid of the pearl on my alt. I definitely won't be changing again as I already have my new character to 30 with subjob :p

Taruranto

There is a plugin for windower that allows you to change how your character looks by modifing the dat, but only you will see it.

I think it's wardrobe?

Loona

There is a plugin for windower that allows you to change how your character looks by modifing the dat, but only you will see it.

I think it's wardrobe?

I recall reading about something called PlasticSurgeon to modify character looks in XI only for the user.

Top Bottom