• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

Perineum

Just beat the game, and yeah this is my favorite Final Fantasy game now easily. Technically FFXI is my favorite FF of all time, but since it is a MMO, and you can't experience that same game as you could when it first came out over all the years it's just a memory of an experience I had.

My favorite FF prior to 12 that was a SP only experience was FF9. This game does so much right, and it's only shortcoming for me is that in the "second half" it laid it a bit thick on unnecessarily long dungeons. Referring to 12 here.

That final boss was epic AF too.

Is Revnant Wings worth messing around with or am I better watching a synopsis video or something on it ?

Perineum

I barely used any tekniks all game. I mean other than steal sometimes and libra they were not needed.

Hell my Gambits were only set to use cure if health fell under 70% for anyone, and attack same enemy as party leader. Played the game 2x and if I needed extra actions I would issue the command myself. Found Gambits to be a trash game device but at least the game doesn't rely on using them or suffer in anyway if you ignore them.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I thought my lvl 33 cast and Gambits were on point,
but I'm being mowed down by the stage 17 enemies. I hate stop magic. And I don't have any accessories to combat it yet.

I barely used any tekniks all game. I mean other than steal sometimes and libra they were not needed.

Hell my Gambits were only set to use cure if health fell under 70% for anyone, and attack same enemy as party leader. Played the game 2x and if I needed extra actions I would issue the command myself. Found Gambits to be a trash game device but at least the game doesn't rely on using them or suffer in anyway if you ignore them.
I've been avoiding techniks as well. But having my non-magic users do nothing but attack doesn't feel as exciting.

So, original, reorchestrated or OST?

I went with the reorchestrated music and am very happy with the result. Some of the tracks are just amazing now -- Sakimoto's style is very well suited to a live orchestra. I would love to see a new remaster of FFT just for a chance at that OST getting the same treatment.

Balphon

Traveler and Horology are decent sources of non-magic AoE damage if that's something you feel like you need. Horology is probably too dependent on the clock being in a certain place to be all that practical, though.

Numerology is usually ineffective and Bonecrusher's decent chance of killing the user even when the target isn't immune to it is disqualifying.

Souleater is just a stronger version of attack that damages the user, uses its own damage formula, and doesn't combo. So, you'd mostly only want to use it against a strong non-undead enemy when (a) Attack is sealed or (b) you're using an axe/hammer.

The most effective technick is Gil Toss since it ignores the enemy's stats entirely but it obviously requires you to have impractically large amounts of money to burn.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Immobilize and stop are not the same thing, right?

Immobilize stops the character from walking but they can still attack, use items, and cast magic. Stop complete stops your walking and actions.

SkylineRKR

Immobilize and stop are not the same thing, right?

In immobilize state you can do everything still. Except for walking around. So you can't flee. The AI sadly doesn't abuse it, they're not going to pepper you from range.

Power armlets help against Stop.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
19 hit limit break, no black hole. Horrible luck, I did about 10 lv1 attacks.

You need 4 Lvl 3 attacks, 4 Lvl 2 attacks, and 4 Lvl 1 attacks for Black Hole.

Blizzje

Does anyone else have some audio bugs in this game using optical connection? For some reason, my amplifier gets quite a few hickups when I play this game. When the hickups happen, I get a message about +4 or whatever, indicating that the dolby digital signal is reset.

I checked all my connections and they are okay. I played some other games like Diablo 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider and even GTA Vice City (PS2) and it doesn't seem like it's happening there. I've heard it happen too in the ps4 menu when I have FFXII Zodiac Age playing.

Ludens

Banned
I'm having problems on getting the Great Trango in Ridorana.
I'm in the right place and I did the following:
-cleared out the area from enemies
-formed a group with one member only, no altered status, totally unequipped if not for the Diamond Armlet
-zoned out the area and zoned in back in order to great a savegame
-quitted to dashboard
-loaded Reks' save, got the 97 88 86 sequence, which in theory should spawn the chest without zoing out.

The problem is there's no chest for me. I never get the 87 88 97 sequence, only the first one I posted, but the chest won't appear even if I read several comments stating the chest should be here without zoning out and back in with those numbers.

RunTheGhouls

Neo Member
Some/most of these rare hunts are bullshit.

'Stand around for half an hour in this location and this enemy will spawn'

'Get a chain of exactly 12 of this enemy and this enemy might spawn'

RunTheGhouls

Neo Member
-formed a group with one member only, no altered status, totally unequipped if not for the Diamond Armlet
-quitted to dashboard
-loaded Reks' save, got the 97 88 86 sequence, which in theory should spawn the chest without zoing out.

The problem is there's no chest for me. I never get the 87 88 97 sequence, only the first one I posted, but the chest won't appear even if I read several comments stating the chest should be here without zoning out and back in with those numbers.

Do any of your other non-party team members have status effects/equipment on them? (e.g. sap, doom).

That was what was wrong for me.

Ludens

Banned
Do any of your other non-party team members have status effects/equipment on them? (e.g. sap, doom).

That was what was wrong for me.

Umh, I think I saw a couple of people with altered status, but I thought, since they were not in the party, that wouldn't count.

SkylineRKR

-quitted to dashboard

That 97, 88, 86 method works. I did it twice. Spawns the chest in the room while you're there. I first play to savepoint with reks, kill the 3 above and make a new save. Then i play to the abyssal room on my regular save, and clean it up. I use my mage with diamond armlet as he doesn't hurt himself. Then zone out and in, exit to Dash, load reks, hit myself 3 times and cure 8 ish times initiating 97,88,86. Then quit to menu and load Pharos abyssal save. Hit myself once, 1 cure and grab trango.

Meowster

I went with the reorchestrated music and am very happy with the result. Some of the tracks are just amazing now -- Sakimoto's style is very well suited to a live orchestra. I would love to see a new remaster of FFT just for a chance at that OST getting the same treatment.
I need this. ASAP.

Cess007

Finished the game last night. It took me more than 50hrs with a party of Vaan, Balthier and Fran at 49. (Everyeone else at 10 lol) And while, I can see the flaws on the game (the story specially grows very thin by the end) I still enjoyed it.

Now, all I want is a spinoff of Balthier and Fran. They frigging deserve it!

TheCed

Finished the game last night. It took me more than 50hrs with a party of Vaan, Balthier and Fran at 49. (Everyeone else at 10 lol) And while, I can see the flaws on the game (the story specially grows very thin by the end) I still enjoyed it.

Now, all I want is a spinoff of Balthier and Fran. They frigging deserve it!

If you want more Balthier, you might want to get
FFXII Revenant Wings
and
FFT : War of the Lion
<--- Highly recomended. He's a Minor Character in both so don't expect him taking the spotlight.

Put some spoiler Tags just in case.

Cess007

If you want more Balthier, you might want to get
FFXII Revenant Wings
and
FFT : War of the Lion
<--- Highly recomended. He's a Minor Character in both so don't expect him taking the spotlight.

Put some spoiler Tags just in case.

Yeah, I knew about those. I should get them, thanks! There's not enough Balthier!

Perineum

I wish Penelo had the same outfit she does in the end cut scenes when you beat the game during the entire adventure. Her outfit is just so bland and uninteresting.

I am dwelling on the game a lot, and one of the things I was confused by, is during the game you get that book narration from Ashe's uncle, correct? Why did they ditch that in the second half of the game altogether?

Every character in this game is well realized, but I don't think Penelo served any real purpose aside from her relationship with Larsa. The reason this game is at the top of my FF charts has to be just how well written it is. Why couldn't the team that wrote this been in charge of FF14's writing? FF14 is like the definitive try hard attempt at this kind of dialect and deep lore sounding dialogue, but falls flat on its face.

Best characters in order for me:
Basch
Balthier
Gabranth
Fran

I won't list everyone else, but those 4 made the game for me.

I asked earlier, but should I try to watch a video on Revnant Wings? Or will that soil this experience ?

kromeo

Basch barely says a word between like
killing Vossler
and the ending, I think he should have been better, same with Fran

KZObsessed

Just found out Knight can't learn curaga without giving them Mateus. Such bullshit. Thankfully they can still learn curaja.

Loving this game a lot more than the first time round, probably thanks to 2x speed.

TheCed

I wish Penelo had the same outfit she does in the end cut scenes when you beat the game during the entire adventure. Her outfit is just so bland and uninteresting.

I am dwelling on the game a lot, and one of the things I was confused by, is during the game you get that book narration from Ashe's uncle, correct? Why did they ditch that in the second half of the game altogether?

Every character in this game is well realized, but I don't think Penelo served any real purpose aside from her relationship with Larsa. The reason this game is at the top of my FF charts has to be just how well written it is. Why couldn't the team that wrote this been in charge of FF14's writing? FF14 is like the definitive try hard attempt at this kind of dialect and deep lore sounding dialogue, but falls flat on its face.

Best characters in order for me:
Basch
Balthier
Gabranth
Fran

I won't list everyone else, but those 4 made the game for me.

I asked earlier, but should I try to watch a video on Revnant Wings? Or will that soil this experience ?

No Larsa ?

About Revenant Wings, you could watch a video but only after having finished XII. RW isn't really great anyway.

Just found out Knight can't learn curaga without giving them Mateus. Such bullshit. Thankfully they can still learn curaja.

Loving this game a lot more than the first time round, probably thanks to 2x speed.

I don't think there was ever a point in the game where I cast Curaga anyway.

Perineum

No Larsa ?

About Revenant Wings, you could watch a video but only after having finished XII. RW isn't really great anyway.

Yeah I completed 12, so I may watch a video on RW just to see if it fleshes it out a little more for the universe.

Larsa is a cool character, but doesn't top those ones in my favorites list that made the game. Heck I enjoyed his brother more than him. Such a fantastic villain.

Shahed

I gave my Knight Mateus for Curaga. I always looked through every other person to see what each Esper unlocks, so I must have thought it was worth it. Who else would you give Mateus if not your Knight? Can't recall other unlocks

SkylineRKR

The story starts off extremely good in Matsuno fashion with war and treachery, done in short cuts as per Vagrant Story. Its just very apparent that he left the project and the story takes a backseat for it. It doesn't go anywhere except for 2 parties chasing god like powers to end the war.

Basch starts out great, but his arc and rivalry with Vaan then sort of ends. And picks up briefly much later in the game. I wished Vayne's rise to power was shown differently, we don't see him acting much as the de facto leader of Dalmasca. In fact, I don't like how they handled that mid game scene where that sunglasses guy tells you

The emperor has been assassinated and Vayne took his place

I was like did I miss that? But the game then proceeds to show it. That could've been handled differently.

The single-target cure spells are handy in like a very few specific situations for saving MP, but given that a knight is primarily about damage output, MP shouldn't be a problem for them. But you want Esuna and Regen from that unlock more than you want Curaga. And Mateus doesn't really unlock anything else that's super important for any other classes

I do find it fascinating that this game gets easier with the job combos but makes the esper/quickening choices MUCH trickier and much more consequential.

I'm personally likely to be waiting until near-endgame to assign Espers to *anyone*, outside of the mandatory Belias choice (which is basically the only Esper that barely unlocks anything anyway and can be pretty safely assigned). I guess the toughest choices are with Shemhazai, Cuchulainn, Hashmal, Famfrit, and maybe some of the high-end armor unlocks. Everyone's got plenty of good weapon choices, but getting any character closer to vanilla FFXII's broken-ass Paladins with huge hp and cures/buffs is a big deal, and only a few Espers do that for *multiple* jobs.

It feels like that, but then when you start looking at what licenses are actually blocked off, it's sort of like, a lot of the Espers don't give you access to anything good or they give you access to stuff you've probably picked up on the character's other board.

It feels like that, but then when you start looking at what licenses are actually blocked off, it's sort of like, a lot of the Espers don't give you access to anything good or they give you access to stuff you've probably picked up on the character's other board.

I think writing off hp boosts/magick and battle lores/weapon access makes the choices significantly easier. It's really all about getting access to genuinely good spells and getting the best armors (and, occasionally, unlocking Swiftness access).

KZObsessed

I gave my Knight Mateus for Curaga. I always looked through every other person to see what each Esper unlocks, so I must have thought it was worth it. Who else would you give Mateus if not your Knight? Can't recall other unlocks

I must have been half asleep as I didn't realise they unlocked anything. Just gave it to Ashe. I looked it up and everyone said it didn't matter... but I guess that was for the original release. Doh.

At least it doesn't seem to matter. Thanks guys.

faridmon

Is Revnant Wings worth messing around with or am I better watching a synopsis video or something on it ?

Personally I loved every minutte of that game, espcially if you want a light hearted continution of Vann and Co's story after the event of FF XII.

Its Tough midway, The AI can be frustrating, The pathing of your squads can be even more frustrating,and the overall story can be alot to be desired, But the writing is very strong, the artstyle is great and the gameplay can be challenging in a good way.

Really reccomend it

Demoskinos

Question about the Barheim Entrance Key Side Quest...

Okay so I did the Hunt talked to Dantro then he mentioned giving the flower to his wife. I talked to her in the south village. She mentioned there being trouble on the North Bank. The kid said the ferry was out so I went the long way around get up to the north village and...nothing. Nobody but a moogle in the village.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here?

Shahed

I must have been half asleep as I didn't realise they unlocked anything. Just gave it to Ashe. I looked it up and everyone said it didn't matter... but I guess that was for the original release. Doh.

At least it doesn't seem to matter. Thanks guys.

I find Knight needs or has a lot of use for Espers. At least conpared to everyone else. It seems like I gave like 5 Espers to Ashe.

Ashe(Knight/Time)

Mateus (Curaga, Regen, Cleanse, Esuna, 230 HP)
Hashmal (Confuse, Faith, Bravery, Curaja, 3rd Channeling)
Ultima (Battle Lore, Telekinesis)
Exodus (350HP)
Belias (Potion Lore)

And if I played again, I would have given her Addramalech as well for Cura/Raise

On the other hand Basch (Bushi/Monk) was really good for me, but I didn't give him a single Esper. Didn't feel like he needed it

I find Knight needs or has a lot of use for Espers. At least conpared to everyone else. It seems like I gave like 5 Espers to Ashe.

Ashe(Knight/Time)

Mateus (Curaga, Regen, Cleanse, Esuna, 230 HP)
Hashmal (Confuse, Faith, Bravery, Curaja, 3rd Channeling)
Ultima (Battle Lore, Telekinesis)
Exodus (350HP)
Belias (Potion Lore)

And if I played again, I would have given her Addramalech as well for Cura/Raise

On the other hand Basch (Bushi/Monk) was really good for me, but I didn't give him a single Esper. Didn't feel like he needed it

I feel like Chaos makes far and away the best sense for your Monk.

Hashmal's a tricky one, since it gives some really high-quality White Magick to your Knight *or* your Monk.

Everyone's got loads of offensive options in this game but the more efficiently you can keep your HP/buffs up using your full party's MP pool the better.

Top Bottom