• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Story Trailer

Makariel

Does it have a 10,000 year old dragon with the body of a half-naked 14 year old?
Asking the important questions.

giphy.gif

Celcius

°Temp. member
I’m really liking the way this game looks. I’ve never played fire emblem but may want to check this out.

Pejo

This game comes out soon and there’s no buzz for it at all. Did the last FE game kill it?
The gameplay assets look absolutely terrible in most footage shown to this point. This is mostly just cinematic story stuff which looks fine. The fields and trees and characters themselves look awful for a current gen game, even on the Switch. The animations are janky, the soldiers just run directly through each other. It looked like a hot mess, again, last time gameplay was shown.

Animagic

Banned
The gameplay assets look absolutely terrible in most footage shown to this point. This is mostly just cinematic story stuff which looks fine. The fields and trees and characters themselves look awful for a current gen game, even on the Switch. The animations are janky, the soldiers just run directly through each other. It looked like a hot mess, again, last time gameplay was shown.
I thought the same. When they first showed field map footage I thought they had recycled assets from Fire Emblem Heroes

I expect it to be good because Fire Emblem but I just can't look at this video and be excited.

Hopefully the gameplay stream will get me hyped but after the wonderful Shadows of Valencia on the 3DS, I was expecting to be really enthused about this game as we saw more and more trailers for it.

kevm3

Why do the characters look so weak? Who are they trying to appeal to visually with this game? 14 year old girls? These folks are supposed to be at war, but every character is some wafer thin prettyboy

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I watched some of the Treehouse gameplay showing off the combat. I like the idea of the "battalion", if for no other reason than the battles finally have a bit more... vibrancy to them. I love seeing all the troops behind each Unit participating in the attack. Gives me those warm Advance Wars vibes.

Treehouse demo for OP

I watched some of the Treehouse gameplay showing off the combat. I like the idea of the "battalion", if for no other reason than the battles finally have a bit more... vibrancy to them. I love seeing all the troops behind each Unit participating in the attack. Gives me those warm Advance Wars vibes.

I actually really liked what I saw from the Treehouse gameplay, the battles are classic FE and thank god team stacking is finally gone. I want my movement to actually matter in how I position my troops, not be forced to combine two of my guys into an unstoppable juggernaut.

The persona school stuff actually looks kinda cool to me. It at least looks wayyyyy better than the stupid half assed fort stuff in Fates.

The visual style looks good in battles to. The character art is actually kinda growing on me. When this was first revealed I was a bit skeptical but I'm hyped now.

I personally getting this day one, it looking pretty damn good so far.

I'm just happy that it doesn't look like it's going to be a steaming dumpster fire like Fates.

Just thinking about Fates makes me want to fucking break something lol.

Three houses is giving me more of a Path of Radiance vibe in battles though with the proportionate character models in the overview. But I like the cel-shaded art style of the characters in the battle screens.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm just happy that it doesn't look like it's going to be a steaming dumpster fire like Fates.

Just thinking about Fates makes me want to fucking break something lol.

Three houses is giving me more of a Path of Radiance vibe in battles though with the proportionate character models in the overview. But I like the cel-shaded art style of the characters in the battle screens.
Yeah, I don't know what they thinking with Fates, especially the fact you to buy the game again to even have choice which side you want to be on.

Okay the treehouse gameplay video today really sold me. Well, the word "Fire" next to the word "Emblem" sold me, but honestly this game hasn't been looking good to me until today and I was getting concerned.

All I was seeing until now is that the in game models look bad and the character designs seem pretty bland. I'm not sure how to explain it... something to do with the black outlines and anti-aliasing I guess. And since there are 3 armies in this game I presume this is a much higher number of characters than even recent FE games, and it's hard for the designer to crank out so many characters and have them look interesting and unique. Well, that's still how things look sadly, but the visuals aren't all bad. There are explorable environments and the menu design is very nice, with lots of lovely graphical touches. Also, the character portraits next to dialogue boxes are beautifully drawn.

More importantly, I can see clearly what they are doing with the direction of this game now. To put it simply - they're going full Persona.

Never go full Persona.

Lol. Nah, it's okay, you can go full Persona sometimes I'm sure. You're the professor teaching students the art of war in a large academy, and everything you do there affects relationships and stat growth and ultimately ties into combat in a very Persona-y way. There's study sessions, the type of meal you choose and who to sit with, little character story moments that strengthen bonds, all of that sort of stuff. There's even a strong emphasis on the calendar and day to day living, which just screams Persona.

I can't help but think of Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE on the WiiU, which I guess has a bit more Fire Emblem like downtime between Persona like sessions of combat. This game has Persona like downtime between Fire Emblem style battles. The glaring difference, of course, is that Tokyo Mirage Sessions has a beautiful art style that constantly beams pleasure into your brain through your eye holes - I'm quite fond of that game. But while the visuals here might be a mixed bag, I got a feeling from today's gameplay demonstration that there is a whole lot of game here to sink my teeth into and it will be fun to see how these new features relate to combat. I'm also happy to see at least some of the great ideas from the excellent Shadows of Valencia have been carried over, like combat arts.

I have a better idea of the gameplay loop now and my attitude has gone from concerned to hopeful. Can't wait to get stuck into the game.

^Hey I'll take the class room professor stuff any day over that fortress and treehouse that was in Fates.

In other news it looks like the game will have amiibo support, but to what extent is unknown.

Top Bottom