• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

Taste test time!

mns24.jpg

Went ahead and placed an order myself!

They have a very good rep

Saudades

Thanks for all the responses guys. I'mma give Greyskull LP a spin and see how it goes.
Also I was wondering: is there any lift that can help widen your shoulders? I read that shoulder width is biological (something to do with clavicles) and you can't fix that but I'm just wondering anyway - even exercises to make them look wider is fine.

Hypron

Ugh I almost hurt my back again doing squats (with only 20kg total on the bar at that -_-) today. I hurt my lower back 3 months ago at the same weight, probably because of my form, so after going to the physio for a bit I started with the empty bar again and increased by 1kg each session, watched tons of videos, did some stretches every day, made sure to keep my core braced (and did some bracing exercises before squatting)... Yet I'm still fucking it up somehow.

I should probably get a personal trainer for a couple of sessions at this point to have someone point out to me what I'm doing wrong in real time...

torontoml

So I started to go to the gym for the first time in my life about a month ago, but all I've done is go on the elliptical for half an hour every time. Having never lifted weights I'm nervous about doing it I guess, I'm also unsure of how and what to do properly.

Any suggestions for where to go from here?

So I started to go to the gym for the first time in my life about a month ago, but all I've done is go on the elliptical for half an hour every time. Having never lifted weights I'm nervous about doing it I guess, I'm also unsure of how and what to do properly.

Youtube how to properly bench press, over head press, squat, and deadlift. Those lifts work out lots of different muscles. Get good at doing those with light weight, learn how to do them properly, and gradually add weight over time.

Are your goals to get stronger? Do what Arhkam said. I personally like this video series for the lifts;

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLIasrSrFGdSNbeOT8Agw9N301qCHpRU0

lenovox1

My goal is to just get in better shape. Like I don't want to get huge or anything, I guess some muscle definition is all I would be looking for.

Do you eat huge? Do you have the time to devote to lifting weights like it's a part time job?

Otherwise, don't worry about getting huge. That doesn't happen on accident. Watch the videos.

torontoml

Thanks, yeah I figured that. Just wasn't sure how to state what my end goal is, because I don't really have one. So I'll give the videos a watch and go from there.

DOWN

Banned
If you are lifting a couple hours before bed, is it better for the higher calorie Day to be the next day after you’ve slept Post-workout, or should it be the day of the workout despite the workout coming at the end of that day?

I’ve kinda gone with the following day because that’s when I figured the protein synthesis stuff will be firing off

If you are lifting a couple hours before bed, is it better for the higher calorie Day to be the next day after you’ve slept Post-workout, or should it be the day of the workout despite the workout coming at the end of that day?

I’ve kinda gone with the following day because that’s when I figured the protein synthesis stuff will be firing off

You're recovering for 48 hours. Don't overthink it.

Curious, what kind of supplements do you guys take?

BCAA's -- Glutamine, Arginine, Leucine (The GOAT for protein synthesis) and Carnitine

Plus Creatine

Plus Protein (Veggie Elite Performance Protein)

Disclaimer: I train 10-12x a week in summer (including baseball skills and sprint training).

Tuorom

Neo Member
Thanks for all the responses guys. I'mma give Greyskull LP a spin and see how it goes.
Also I was wondering: is there any lift that can help widen your shoulders? I read that shoulder width is biological (something to do with clavicles) and you can't fix that but I'm just wondering anyway - even exercises to make them look wider is fine.

Delts - DB lateral raises, face pulls, cable lateral raise
Back - straight arm lat pull down, pull ups, all of the rows, farmer carries

Delts will give you the shoulder pad look, and back should help bring your shoulders out of a hunched position

KillerBEA

Cable side Raises are GOAT fof medial delt

Curious, what kind of supplements do you guys take?
Creatine
Whey Protein
Melatonin
Tons of Monsters and Nos

What does everyone do for arm/core stuff? I've built a routine around using an exercise bike while playing Overwatch or watching TV but have been unable to really stick with any upper body stuff on the regular. I'd like to avoid a gym membership right now and have something I can easily do while pumping content into my veins.

lenovox1

What does everyone do for arm/core stuff? I've built a routine around using an exercise bike while playing Overwatch or watching TV but have been unable to really stick with any upper body stuff on the regular. I'd like to avoid a gym membership right now and have something I can easily do while pumping content into my veins.

Buy a pull up bar and do pushups.

mf.luder

I've added in some erg at the end of my workouts. Trying to burn those extra cals.

Also adding in wall ball and wall crawl. My gym has a nice crossfit studio that I can use by myself.

Ixian

Some of these flavors sound good but more expensive than Quest Bars? Boooo. Gonna have to get my hands on those Cake Bites though.

FWIW I switched from SL5x5 to Greyskull around this time last year when I was ready to start my first bulk. My primary reason for doing so was not wanting to squat every session anymore; I'd already moved to 3x5 reps on my lifts by that point, but squatting mid-200s each day was still pretty rough on my back. GS felt a little weird at first since SL was all I'd known at that point, but I really enjoy it. Having some more emphasis on upper body is nice, especially given how weak mine is relative to my lower body. I also really like the AMRAP concept for the last set since I can definitely squeeze out more than five reps after a deload. Hope you like it!

Beth Cyra

Heya Fit Gaf, my SO is trying to take on a Keito lifestyle and I wanted to show support so I’m doing it with her.

However most of my good in take these days is carbs (large pan cake in the am) Portien Shakes and then a huge meal with dinner and a bunch of carbs.

I’ve found a meal plan to cover everything except that of the Protien Shakes post work out, does anyone have a Keito friendly Shake they suggest?

Have you found these effective/helpful?
I take them when I am training in a fasted state.

Ooh, these are interesting. Why melatonin?

Melatonin raises HGH

J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2007 Oct 23;4(1):14 [Epub ahead of print] LinksEffects of a single dose of N-Acetyl-5-methoxytryptamine (Melatonin) and resistance exercise on the growth hormone/IGF-1 axis in young males and females.Nassar E, Mulligan C, Taylor L, Kerksick C, Galbreath M, Greenwood M, Kreider R, Willoughby DS.ABSTRACT: Melatonin and resistance exercise alone have been shown to increase the levels of growth hormone (GH). The purpose of this study was to determine the effects of ingestion of a single dose of melatonin and heavy resistance exercise on serum GH, somatostatin (SST), and other hormones of the GH/insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1) axis. Physically active males (n = 30) and females (n = 30) were randomly assigned to ingest either a melatonin supplement at 0.5 mg or 5.0 mg, or 1.0 mg of dextrose placebo. After a baseline blood sample, participants ingested the supplement and underwent blood sampling every 15 min for 60 min, at which point they underwent a single bout of resistance exercise with the leg press for 7 sets of 7 reps at 85% 1-RM. After exercise, participants provided additional blood samples every 15 min for a total of 120 min. Serum free GH, SST, IGF-1, IGFBP-1, and IGFBP-3 were determined with ELISA. Data were evaluated as the peak pre- and post-exercise values subtracted from baseline and the delta values analyzed with separate three-way ANOVA (p < 0.05). In males, when compared to placebo, 5.0 mg melatonin caused GH to increase (p = 0.017) and SST to decrease prior to exercise (p = 0.031), whereas both 0.5 and 5.0 mg melatonin were greater than placebo after exercise (p = 0.045) and less than placebo for SST. No significant differences occurred for IGF-1; however, males were shown to have higher levels of IGFBP-1 independent of supplementation (p = 0.004). The 5.0 mg melatonin dose resulted in higher IGFBP-3 in males (p = 0.017). In conclusion, for males 5.0 mg melatonin appears to increase serum GH while concomitantly lowering SST levels; however, when combined with resistance exercise both melatonin doses positively impacts GH levels in a manner not entirely dependent on SST.

Heya Fit Gaf, my SO is trying to take on a Keito lifestyle and I wanted to show support so I'm doing it with her.

However most of my good in take these days is carbs (large pan cake in the am) Portien Shakes and then a huge meal with dinner and a bunch of carbs.

I've found a meal plan to cover everything except that of the Protien Shakes post work out, does anyone have a Keito friendly Shake they suggest?

It's Keto as in Ketogenic.

There a tons of low carb protein powders available e.g. the one I reference a few posts up. Mix with Almond milk.

Some of these flavors sound good but more expensive than Quest Bars? Boooo. Gonna have to get my hands on those Cake Bites though.

They're about the same price for me.

Unrelated... Don't fuck around with the bench press. There's a reason I don't do it without safeties.

An Australian teenager has died after being crushed by weightlifting equipment at a gym.

Ben Shaw, 15, was attempting to bench press almost 100kg (220 lb) when the accident happened in Brisbane on Tuesday, local media said

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-41464134

Top Bottom