• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

for people that say drm ( denuvo ) doesnt affect performance

samoilaaa

sometimes there is even a 20+ fps difference , and the worst part is that denuvo doesnt help the game get more sales , i "bought" games like witcher 3 , deus ex , metro exodus and i liked them so much i bought them on multiple platforms to support the devs

Mr Hyde

If it wasn't for pirate scumbags there wouldn't be any need for Denuvo.

Think About It GIF by Identity

RickSanchez

Was it Gaben who said that piracy is a service issue rather than a price issue ? I don't fully agree, but there is some meaning to it.

Implement fair regional pricing, fix your games before release, implement anti-cheats that do not intrude in performance, ensure proper preservation of digital copies, get rid of microtransactions................and watch sales figures rise like magic, even without denuvo.

Multiple games and publishers over the years (AAA and Indie) have proved that this strategy works. CDPR, Sony, Microsoft, Annapurna, 505, iOi, etc

Even publishers like EA, Ubi and Squeenix who are overly fond of Denuvo nowadays, have released games in the past without Denuvo which were wildly successful commercially: Mass Effect, Dragon Age, early Ass Creed and Far Cry, the Final Fantasy series, etc

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Theres no such thing as a free lunch.
So dont come at me with that noise Denuvo does nothing.
People with super powerful CPUs just arent noticing the difference and/or its negligible enough on their systems to be run to run variance.

And dont even start with the whole, well if you are using a Ryzen 3000/Intel 7000 class CPU its your own fault.
Nah fuck that noise expecting people to upgrade their whole system for some DRM shit is nonsense.
If you tell me a Ryzen 1000 is enough to run the game, dont put in an invisible asterisk saying..........(as long as Denuvo isnt running)

Get that Denuvo outta here.

QAdtZHA.png

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Denuvo does impact performance, but in cases where there are custom things running on top, it seems to become much more notable

RE Village had Denuvo and Capcom's custom weird encryption running on top of it, hence the huge performance spikes at launch, but IIRC they later amended some of that in a post release patch (but kept the denuvo in) and that fixed most of the performance issues.

Bragr

Was it Gaben who said that piracy is a service issue rather than a price issue ? I don't fully agree, but there is some meaning to it.

Implement fair regional pricing, fix your games before release, implement anti-cheats that do not intrude in performance, ensure proper preservation of digital copies, get rid of microtransactions................and watch sales figures rise like magic, even without denuvo.
No, it's not what he meant, that quote is taken out of context. People use this quote to justify pirating and scumbag behavior all the time.

FukuDaruma

I bought REVIllage and suffered severe stuttering to the point I had to restart the game each hour or so. Then the cracked game came out and without Denuvo shit there wasn't any stuttering. But sure "It wAsN'T dENuVo's FaULt, iT wAs CaPcOm".
Now had to suffer Dead Space remake many stutter problems (not just 'traversal') and I bet when they remove the Denuvo shit it will perform better.
Denuvo is cancer. Wish they were hacked and the whole company inside out dumped online.

Last edited:
That's what all pirates say.

"I buy games, I really do. I like to support the devs, see what a good citizen I am. Now let me steal all your games that you worked so hard on without any punishment."

Get the fuck out here.

A very poor guy that knows nothing of the video game business once said that "piracy is a service problem"... He runs the biggest and most successful videogame selling business there are.

IvimpVI.png

And yet you're the "billionaire that knows better" about what cause piracy... RIGHT ???????????????? You should definitely open your own online store with even more intrusive DRM that would solve all piracy problems...

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

A very poor guy that knows nothing of the video game business once said that "piracy is a service problem"... He runs the biggest and most successful videogame selling business there are.

IvimpVI.png
IvimpVI.png

And yet you're the "billionaire that knows better" about what cause piracy... RIGHT ???????????????? You should definitely open your own online store with even more intrusive DRM that would solve all piracy problems...

And they call me the boot licker 🙄 I guess you must feel good about yourself that Gaben cleared your conscience about piracy.

Davevil

Do developers think that Denuvo protects their work? there is nothing you can do, even if you cry about how bad it is.
Doesn't suit you? buy another game.

Killer8

Preserving gaming history and improving game performance?

This piracy thing seems based as hell. Maybe the publishers could learn something from it.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
So I'm a boot licker just because I don't pirate and steal games like you losers do? Only in a pirates head does this makes sense.
People bought games before Denuvo was a thing.
People to this day buy games that dont have Denuvo all the time.

Sons of the Forest doesnt have Denuvo....its one of the best selling games on Steam right now.
The Witcher 3 to this day is still being bought up yet it launched without Denuvo.
Cyberpunk 2077....no Denuvo.
Would you like me to keep going?

Just because people are against Denuvo doesnt mean they are for piracy.....only a bootlicker would think thats what people mean when they want Denuvo expunged.

It's a shame Denuvo is still used. Chances are, anyone pirating these games were never going to buy them anyway. Especially at full price.

ANDS

Thought gaf was racist. Now knows better, honorary gaffer 2022
People bought games before Denuvo was a thing.
People to this day buy games that dont have Denuvo all the time.

Sons of the Forest doesnt have Denuvo....its one of the best selling games on Steam right now.
The Witcher 3 to this day is still being bought up yet it launched without Denuvo.
Cyberpunk 2077....no Denuvo.
Would you like me to keep going?

Just because people are against Denuvo doesnt mean they are for piracy.....only a bootlicker would think thats what people mean when they want Denuvo expunged.

Pretty sure the person Hyde was responding to was specifically advocating for piracy because of Denuvo - if I'm understanding that silly quote.

Rykan

It's not a service issue. It's never been a service issue. Gabe Newell is just simply marketing his own online store here. That's all there really is to it. I'm surprised so many people took it as an undeniable fact that shouldn't be questioned when it is said by someone who has an interest in getting publishers to release on his online store.

There is no service that can compete with free. A person intending to pirate a new release for free isn't going to be persuaded just because you made spending 60$ slightly more convenient.

Last edited:
It's not a service issue. It's never been a service issue. Gabe Newell is just simply marketing his own online store here. That's all there really is to it. I'm surprised so many people took it as an undeniable fact that shouldn't be questioned when it is said by someone who has an interest in getting publishers to release on his online store.

There is no service that can compete with free. A person intending to pirate a new release for free isn't going to be persuaded just because you made spending 60$ slightly more convenient.
Dude you have absolutely no idea of what you're talking.

There's nothing more """"""""""""FREE""""""""""""""" than anime because most of them aren't even licensed outside Japan but YET Crunchyroll is a huge success for many many years.

199% of the most famous stream service shows are widely available online for anyone to download or even watch online... but YET we have dozens of companies running to start their own stream services, maybe they do that because IT'S GUARANTED MONEY?? I don't know...

People don't pirate because it's "free" they do because it's THEIR* best option...

*let me explain if it's too hard for you to understand, what I've just said means that they pirate because the price sucks or the service sucks... or both

Last edited:

Rykan

Dude you have absolutely no idea of what you're talking.

There's nothing more """"""""""""FREE""""""""""""""" than anime because most of them aren't even licensed outside Japan but YET Crunchyroll is a huge success for many many years.

199% of the most famous stream service shows are widely available online for anyone to download or even watch online... but YET we have dozens of companies running to start their own stream services, maybe they do that because IT'S GUARANTED MONEY?? I don't know...

People don't pirate because it's "free" they do because it's THEIR* best option...

*let me explain if it's too hard for you to understand, what I've just said means that they pirate because the price sucks or the service sucks... or both
I have no idea what the deal is with the condescending tone in your post.

Anime services like Crunchyroll (and also Netflix to a certain extend) are popular because they are providing access to Anime, including offering translations done by actual translators instead of fansubs, that was previously inaccessible to people outside of Piracy. That was never the case with games: You could always go out to buy games at a store, or even have it delivered to you the next day.

Besides, piracy for Anime is bigger than it ever was. If you thought that the rise of Crunchyroll or other services stopped or hindered piracy in any meaningful way, you're wrong.

If you honestly think that people don't pirate because they can get a product that is 60$ for free, then I have a bridge to sell to you...or pirate, idk.

Yes, it's a "service issue" if the only possible way to obtain something is piracy and there are no other legal options, but by and large, pricing is the primary motivator for Piracy, as it has always been.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Corporate shilling in this thread is amazing. There are bunch of games without Denuvo and they do fine. Couple little games by CDPR called Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 are just an example.

Denuvo mainly gives publishers a chance to present to shareholders that they are "taking piracy seriously". Witness bullshit additional DRM on top of Denuvo that some companies put, "just to be on a safe side".

It's all bullshit for the most part. Ones who suffer are mainly customers. Yeah, maybe if you have latest i7-i9 or AMD equivalent chip you won't have a lot of issues (not guaranteed mind you), but fact is that most gamers do not own that. So the majority of customers suffer through this BS.

Not to mention what happens when inevitably Denuvo goes offline either due to company going out of business or moving on to Denuvo 3.0 or some shit. This is same company that had that SecureROM crap that went belly up. So yeah, good luck playing some of these games in 10-15 years.

Yeah, I know to a lot of people that's immaterial, but some of us do like replaying older titles. Imagine not being able to play say Chrono Trigger or FFVI because they were DRM protected.

Last edited:
Top Bottom