• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For those that still game primarily on PS4 and haven't moved on to PS5... why?

What's your PlayStation situation at the moment?

• I have a PS5 and buy my PlayStation games there

Votes: 123 58.9%
  • I have a PS4 Slim or Original but plan to upgrade once I can actually get a PS5 easier

Votes: 14 6.7%
  • I have a PS4 Pro but plan to upgrade once I can actually get a PS5 easier

Votes: 11 5.3%
  • I have a PS4 Slim or Original and I'm totally fine with it for now, no plans to upgrade for a while

Votes: 28 13.4%
  • I have a PS4 Pro and I'm totally fine with it for now, no plans to upgrade for a while

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I don't own a PlayStation

Votes: 20 9.6%

• Total voters

Mess

I mainly play on PC these days but I would have bought a PS5 just for Demon's Souls had I managed to find one easily.

Now that pvp on PS5 is probably dead I feel I'm better off waiting for the PC version...

Banjo64

cumsessed
Not going to lie if my old PS4 was whisper quiet I wouldn’t have upgraded.

GT7, Ragnarök, Forbidden West, Miles Morales, Sack Boy, Kena & Elden Ring all available to play on PS4. I’ve not played Ratchet or Returnal yet, Im happy to wait. The SSD is lovely, but I would have waited for a non-hideous slim model.

I tried to play GoW 2018 on my old PS4 and it sounded like a hair dryer, that was my tipping point for upgrading.

Eiknarf

Only reason you'd still be on PS4 if you're primarily Playstation is financial reasons at this point
ddIlbXc.gif
I just hate that developers are still making games for the PS4. Enough! That shit makes the PS5 “feel” less relevant.
I put “feel” in quotes because I know that the PS5 is not irrelevant. I’m just saying that when titles come out on current and last gen, it gives the impression that there’s no need to get a current gen console

ParaSeoul

I just hate that developers are still making games for the PS4. Enough! That shit makes the PS5 “feel” less relevant.
I put “feel” in quotes because I know that the PS5 is not irrelevant. I’m just saying that when titles come out on current and last gen, it gives the impression that there’s no need to get a current gen console
Seeing all the people disappointed with re4 remake is hammering home this feeling right now

Eiknarf

Seeing all the people disappointed with re4 remake is hammering home this feeling right now
I mean, The Last of Us Part 1 Remake and Dead Space Remake alone were enough for me to get a PS5. I’m glad those two aren’t on last generation consoles. Actually, they couldn’t be.

Last edited:
Got burned badly last gen by buying day one. The generation didn't start for a good 3-4 years after that. Promised I wouldn't do it again unless they gave me a reason to and they havn't. Once I got past the initial FOMO, I couldn't feel happier about my decision. This gen seems to be off to an even slower start, "current gen"(lol) exclusives are few and far between. Less than a handful of those even slightly make use of the new hardware.

All my friends caved and none of them can give me a good reason to upgrade sides "looks/runs a bit better". Sorry, thats not enough for me. Especially when you take into account the inexcusable price hike, paying an extra 20% for "slightly better" is just a non-starter for me.

R&C looks incredible, but buying a console for 1 game is a brain dead decision so fuck that. FF16 looks like the beginning of the new gen, so I'm planning on getting one for that. But even then, is there a long list of "current gen exclusive" games I'm excited for? Not really.

At this point, given that the PS5 is backwards compatible with all but a handful of PS4 games, then the only reasons for any gamers to not upgrade would be because either they cannot find a PS5 or because they cannot afford one. Even if you think that the console is lacking in exclusive games and are holding off until there are more before committing, the point is that every PS4 game (bar those that don't work but no-one cares about those!) run better on the PS5, even older PS4 games running from an external hard drive as that extra GPU and CPU power means more stable framerates and higher resolutions in games that use dynamic resolutions. There are also PS5 enhanced version of PS4 games that look and run better, most with 60 fps framerates instead of 30 fps. It's just a win-win really.

Mr Hyde

Bought a PS5 solely for Demon's Souls remake. That was the killer app for me. One of my favorite games remade with next gen graphics were enough for me to pull the trigger. But I was pretty tired of the PS4 by the end. It felt slow and old. DS4 controller was crap. The PS5 was just a blessing. Faster, quieter, no loading. I went all in on accessories, extra controller, charging station, pulse headset, 4K screen. The gaming experience is night and day now. Huge upgrade from PS4. And the library of games have so far been awesome.

Ratchet and Clank, Returnal, Death Stranding, FF 7, Demon's Souls, Forbidden West, GoW Ragnarok, Miles Morales, Ghostwire Tokyo etc. And then you have the great PS4 BC which made my existing catalog of games play and look even better. I can't even imagine going back to the awful PS4.

Brucey

Personally I love that Sony doesn't arbitrarily cut off game support for the previous generation when they release a new gen. So even if you buy in later in the gen you still have years of games to come. Plus then you may have a bunch of "Greatest Hits" games to buy at low prices.

Top Bottom