• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortune Street |OT| WALUIGI TIME!!!

fernoca

I've noticed that the fan-made artwork used for both this thread and the Mario Kart has some very strong sexual undertones not found in the original artwork for the characters depicted.

Official artwork:
3FBa9.jpg

In-game:
Exv0y.jpg
R8gLE.jpg

Video showing said costumes with "realistic animations" (bobbies-engine)

But I guess a sexy outfit with bunny ears or a bikini-top are not sexual undertones.

Emitan

This game has online? How the single player? I might actually get this after watching the Giant Bomb TNT even though I'll probably never be able to find more than one other person willing to play.

fernoca

This game has online? How the single player? I might actually get this after watching the Giant Bomb TNT even though I'll probably never be able to find more than one other person willing to play.
Yeah online with randoms or with friends list. So, if you find other GAFfers with it, just exchange friend codes and you'll at least have a few more people to play with.

Yep, it has online so we could play the game together! Once I get the game that is... q_q I'm hoping to get it for Christmas.

Okay, I won my third game on Trodain Castle. I had a chance to buy out a shop from a player and get three-in-a-row. After a few upgrades, their values ranged from 990 to 1600. At this point, the CPU players outright REFUSED to go to the bottom half of the board, meaning it was just a matter of me passing the bank a couple of times to level up my way to 6000G.

I played a quick multi-player game too and now I have my first real problem with the game. You don't earn any stamps for unlocking costumes and gestures for your Mii in multi-player. And I'm assuming that what I do unlock will only be applicable to MY Mii. Meaning my girlfriend is stuck with default clothes unless she spends time in single-player. I suppose it's minor, but both points just seem completely backwards and damaging to the game as a multi-player experience. Nothing deal-breaking, of course. Hopefully there is a code to unlock everything.

kunonabi

I've been hearing that you can't play as Mario/DQ characters unless you're playing local co-op, any truth to that?

I've been hearing that you can't play as Mario/DQ characters unless you're playing local co-op, any truth to that?
I believe you are restricted to your Mii in the "Tour Mode" only, although I haven't tested "Free Play" or an online game, I would wager a good guess that you can select characters and change board rules in those modes just as with the local multi-player.

adroit

I believe you are restricted to your Mii in the "Tour Mode" only, although I haven't tested "Free Play" or an online game....
You are restricted to your Mii in Free Play too. And from what I've read on GameFAQs, you are also restricted to your Mii in online games.

You are restricted to your Mii in Free Play too. And from what I've read on GameFAQs, you are also restricted to your Mii in online games.
Wow. That's really strange. I prefer my Mii thanks to the cool customizations, but yeah, this game has a few baffling design setbacks.

At least I have a few things I can pop into my "post play" survey for Club Nintendo.

Caerith

Official artwork:
http://i.imgur.com/3FBa9.jpg

In-game:
http://i.imgur.com/Exv0y.jpg[/IMG] http://i.imgur.com/R8gLE.jpg

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyALsI8cOSs"]Video showing said costumes with "realistic animations" (bobbies-engine)[/URL]

But I guess a sexy outfit with bunny ears or a bikini-top are not sexual undertones.[/QUOTE]
Jessica Albert : wears corsets, uses whips, has moves like Lashings of Love, Lady's Thong, and an entire skill set called Sex Appeal (Puff Puff, anyone?). And if her appearance in Dragon Quest VIII isn't sexualized enough, the cartoonish style of [s]Itadaki[/s] Fortune Street only further emphasizes her breasts. So yeah, I think the complaint about the artwork's improper sexuality is just referring to Waluigi.

I played the hell out of the DS version (still have the Itadaki Chance translation bookmarked), so if Fortune Street is anything like it (and it appears to be), you can expect all the characters to have their own personality and playstyle. Bianca may be passive aggressive, and Donkey Kong may be regular aggressive, but I swear Peach cheats.

adroit

I swear Peach cheats.
Speaking of cheating, is it possible for a human player with very fast reaction time to control what their die roll is? Or is the number randomly selected when the player presses the A button or shakes the controller? I ask because it seems like I can very briefly see the number I'm going to get the instant after I press the A button. Just wondering if it's possible to see the number before you press the A button. That would be a bummer because not everyone can react that quickly (certainly not me).

kiryogi

Banned
Urgh what the lame. Picked it up, and enjoying it, but you can only play as your Mii mainly?! I was so looking forward to using Bianca or something D:

That said, went thru tutorial and played against toad and slime. The dialogue is very charming and amusing. Slime is all ploptastic. XD

adroit

I have a very important question: How does a six-sided die roll sevens? I'M LOSING MY MIND.
I guffawed the first time one of the NPCs rolled a 7. My immediate reaction was, "So that's how they always manage to win! Square Enix, you've gone too far this time!"

Aeana

That said, 9 is a bit more "modern" so it might be a good jumping in point too. But 5 is my absolute favorite in the series, and many others' as well.

Is 5 on the DS hard to find? I remember a while back I was going to get one of the DS Dragon Quest games (4 or 5) and ended up buying 4. Should I regret my decision?

Aeana

Is 5 on the DS hard to find? I remember a while back I was going to get one of the DS Dragon Quest games (4 or 5) and ended up buying 4. Should I regret my decision?

It was, but it was reprinted.
I don't think you should regret your decision, since 4 is a fantastic game, but I do hope you'll play 5 eventually. Now you can get it for $25-35 new.

It was, but it was reprinted.
I don't think you should regret your decision, since 4 is a fantastic game, but I do hope you'll play 5 eventually. Now you can get it for $25-35 new.

Oh I know, 4 is great, but good to hear it isn't to hard to find 5.

god this game fucks you so hard

even on the most basic game, i always seem to roll five or six ONES in a row. that alone screws me out of enough property sales to make me lose at the last minute

this might be ok with other people, but it's probably the type of game "hey dumbass, it's your fucking turn"

adroit

god this game fucks you so hard
The lesson the game seems to be trying to force us to learn in single-player mode with its highly suspicious die rolls: stocks, stocks, stocks. Buy stocks in the districts controlled by the highest-ranked NPCs. Don't waste a lot of money buying and upgrading property because the NPCs will almost never land on it once it's worth anything.

It's like single-player mode is basic training in the military. Learning essential stuff the unpleasant way.

Caerith

Speaking of cheating, is it possible for a human player with very fast reaction time to control what their die roll is? Or is the number randomly selected when the player presses the A button or shakes the controller? I ask because it seems like I can very briefly see the number I'm going to get the instant after I press the A button. Just wondering if it's possible to see the number before you press the A button. That would be a bummer because not everyone can react that quickly (certainly not me).
Not that I know of. The only thing you can really do to even the odds is:

The lesson the game seems to be trying to force us to learn in single-player mode with its highly suspicious die rolls: stocks, stocks, stocks. Buy stocks in the districts controlled by the highest-ranked NPCs. Don't waste a lot of money buying and upgrading property because the NPCs will almost never land on it once it's worth anything.

It's like single-player mode is basic training in the military. Learning essential stuff the unpleasant way.
Stocks. Basic strategy is basically this:
  • Acquire as much property as possible early on. Where doesn't matter, just get as much as you can afford. Hostile takeovers are almost never worth it, unless it helps your investments.
  • Buy as much stock as you can afford at every opportunity. The best places to invest are in your own properties. The more you own in a neighborhood, the better it is for you. Every time you level, buy 99 shares at a time: you can always sell it when you need the cash, so there's no reason to ever have cash on you.
  • Once you've got a ton of stock in a neighborhood, start upgrading your buildings to increase the stock value. Every time value goes up, your net worth goes up by how much stock you own. Upgrading without stock is just throwing money away. If you have like 300 stock in a neighborhood, then invest to turn your crappy buildings into modern palaces, and it takes your share value from 9g to 15g to 30g etc etc, your net worth just skyrockets. This is how you win the game.
  • Investing in your enemy's neighborhoods helps you profit from their improvements, but many enemies will refuse to upgrade just to spite you. Invest to spite them, or invest in your own properties to go for the win.
  • Venture cards give cash bonuses if you get them in a row. Feel free to cockblock the NPCs here, they won't retaliate.
This game is entirely about the stock market. If Monopoly had one, I think people would actually play that game.

Berordn

So I picked this up two days ago and I'm utterly hooked, though I'm pretty terrible at it. I love the game, and I'm honestly surprised it took this long to bring one overseas.

There's just a few gripes I have with it, one of which most people have mentioned already - being forced to play as your Mii in singleplayer. It's not a huge loss since you can customize it and the meat of it will be in local co-op for me, but it's such an obvious omission. The other one is how haphazardly tour mode seems to be thrown together, mostly with how every map has to have four players at once. Some of them are way too small to throw you in the first few times with that much going on at once (Castle Trodain and the Ghost Ship come to mind) , and there's no real progression to help ease you into it. And then the games take about a minimum of an hour to boot, thanks to all the shuffling going around.

Also I was kind of hoping for a cheesy and utterly pointless crossover story to mix the two series together, but that's just my own guilty pleasure.

Also that music. Why does Nintendo bother having a sound team when everyone else outdoes them with their own compositions?

Top Bottom