• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Funko sending $30M of its products to a landfill

Kyle Mooney Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

anthony2690

Not surprised tbh, the amount of funko pop stuff you see on clearance in the UK for £1-3 is amusing.

My partner grabbed all the frozen pops for £2 each.

& Seen the funko something wild card game with mini pop included for £2 each too.

Disgusting.

Donate them to children charities. There are plenty of kids out there who would love a little toy to play with. If not that then at least send them to be recycled as much as possible.

Of course it will all come down to money. Tossing it into the landfill is the cheapest option.

We need to hold companies more accountable for the waste they create.

As for you guys saying donate it, companies typically wont for good product that can be resold or is similar to existing products already on shelf. It'd cannibalize their sales of existing product, especially since there are $15-20 kinds of products which even poor people can buy. And $30M sounds like a lot for Funko. Stores would get pissed the company is giving away product.

My company has donated stuff. But it was obsolete product for a distinct product line no stores sold anymore. So nobody cared. And it was only like $200,000 worth. Not $20M.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

I’m sure this is much more sense than… you know… offering the stock at a discount.

Why not gift this stuff to poor childrens instead?

Our donating to low income, poor, or homeless children for starters.

Marking it down wouldn't allow them to claim as much loss, and donating it would kill demand for the toys in the future. They may have over-saturated demand for their products now, but they could simply be about to release new product, perhaps even under another company name. The 30m will probably be written off completely, and the "children" will buy their new shit. Win-win for them.

Marking it down wouldn't allow them to claim as much loss, and donating it would kill demand for the toys in the future. They may have over-saturated demand for their products now, but they could simply be about to release new product, perhaps even under another company name. The 30m will probably be written off completely, and the "children" will buy their new shit. Win-win for them.
I'm honestly curious how donating a toy that's not selling to poor kids that can't buy would kill demand for a product no one's demanding.

Fbh

Never understood the appeal of the these. They are so ugly.
I guess they are cheap, but just spend an extra $10 and get something much nicer.

Why not gift this stuff to poor childrens instead?

Hey!, they are poor but they've still got standards!.
But seriously though yeah this seems like waste that could have made some kids happy.

GeekyDad

I still need help. But you can continue being triggered by an honestly worded question.
Sorry, man. I don't mean to come off that way.

I guess for me, I just think that's perhaps their thinking. If they give toys away for free -- whether demand for those specific toys is all but nonexistent -- toys are still toys, and when they're free, as a business, you're not doing yourself any favors when you have a new product(s) about to be flooding the market again.

Last edited:

Billbofet

My friends collect this crap. It was cool and novel a few years back, but when you can get 17 different pops for each level of John McClane's injuries in Die Hard, that magic seems somewhat lost.
Now each of them have shelves upon shelves of this trash that all look the same after a while. Kind of like walking into a Gamestop.

NinjaBoiX

I’m sure this is much more sense than… you know… offering the stock at a discount.
It would probably be cheaper to literally just give them away. I imagine you can’t just show up and dump $30 dollars worth of moulded plastic in landfill for free…

Edit: and yes, I totally get how that would depreciate the perceived value of these products, but news stories like this don’t do Funko any favours either.

Last edited:
Sorry, man. I don't mean come off that way.

I guess for me, I just think that's perhaps their thinking. If they give toys away for free -- whether demand for those specific toys is all but nonexistent -- toys are still toys, and when they're free, as a business, you're not doing yourself any favors when you have a new product(s) about to be flooding the market again.
I do get that. And I could be wrong I just don't think that giving them away to a market that wouldn't be buying them anyway (poor kids or kids in foster care) could hurt that much. I am willing to acknowledge that there could be a legitimate business reason not to. But at the root of it, for me there's just an emotional reaction to seeing toys being thrown away that could be given to the underprivileged.

GeekyDad

I do get that. And I could be wrong I just don't think that giving them away to a market that wouldn't be buying them anyway (poor kids or kids in foster care) could hurt that much. I am willing to acknowledge that there could be a legitimate business reason not to. But at the root of it, for me there's just an emotional reaction to seeing toys being thrown away that could be given to the underprivileged.
That's probably the natural response for most of us. Unfortunately, I'm looking behind that curtain daily (well, not currently, since I'm on medical leave).

But who knows. Maybe the things are defective. But this company has made a lot of money on these toys, so I just can't believe they'd piss any money away trashing them altogether without good financial reason. Otherwise, they would give them away and make a public display of it, so as to garner favor from the public.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I understand the reasons for dumping rather than donating these, but really there ought to be some kind of environmental legislation to punish brands dumping product en masse.

Personally, I'd say the world can't afford to put resources into making utterly worthless shit like this that was always heading for landfill at some point.

poppabk

Maybe the underprivileged didn't even want them. You ever see the muffin top episode of Seinfeld?

TuxedoSammy

Banned
Izzit $30 mil based on the resale price or $30 mil based on how much it cost to produce said product? I presume the former, but this question is v important.

Top Bottom