• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Funko sending $30M of its products to a landfill

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Is it possible to mount them on a rocket and launch them into the sun?

That would probably just exceed the break even scale.

Probably safer to just launch them into space so Four billion years from now a space faring alien race can find them on the edge of the galaxy and finally have the excuse they need to use their doomsday tech and open a black hole right smack on top of Earth.

Lasha

Value of inventory is recorded as the lower of cost and market price. $30 million of Funko pop inventory is probably 8-16 million figures. What children's charity is prepared to take on that level of inventory much less distribute it across the nation to children in need? Simply destroying the items for the write off is easier and more benefifical for accounting purposes.

The original press release says "write down" which implies that the inventory loses value rather than becomes completely worthless. Funko may sell the unwanted stock below cost to bulk retailers, scrappers, or whomever will pay something to try an recoup cost. The "landfill" bit is editorialized by the gaming publications all referencing each other. It's omitted from the primary source.

Doom85

Nendoroids are far superior. They used to be more limited in variety since at first they were only anime, but now they cover anime, video games, movies, comics, cartoons, etc. Yes, they cost quite a bit more than a POP, but if you’re going to be displaying a figure, might as well have a good looking one and 99% of POPs look terrible (there are a few good ones like Overwatch’s Wrecking Ball having an amazing one. The (Fullmetal Alchemist) Alphonse Elric one with him holding the kittens was pretty good too).

But yeah, for those willing to spend some extra dough, feel free to join the Nendoroid express. We have fun here.

TJie937.jpg
LZSmhVw.png
GHEtLRm.jpg
p9w90H8.jpg
dsjvj2H.jpg

diunxx

Sooo any reason why they don't just donate them? there are some kids in Haiti that would love to have their first toy.

Toons

Why not gift this stuff to poor childrens instead?

Because that costs money and funko, while their products are neat little gossamers is a corporation.

Honestly I would get behind a petition to stop this from happening.

Donate that s***. Wouldnt be hard. It would be expensive but they can afford it.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I never get the craze for Funko figures. The design look so similar to one another I consider it the CalArts for figurines.

There are some interesting looking ones out there.

One in particular I do fancy but it was a limited edition and it costs 150 bucks on ebay so fuck that.

gundalf

Image all the resources/energy wasted and generated pollution just for that shit.
How am I supposed to help the environment and global warming with that wild shit happening?
Same goes with all that plastic tad shipped from China around the world, it's impossible to compensate for that on an individual level.

I never get the craze for Funko figures. The design look so similar to one another I consider it the CalArts for figurines.
It's aimed at nerdy manbabies and any adult who wants cutesy toy on their shelf. No doubt anime lovers too given the looks of them with giant heads.

That's why the racks of Funko toys are aimed at the video game and electronics sections of stores. And not the kids toy section like Barbie and Beanie Babies.

Surprisingly, Funko is appealing to a wide demographic. The company reported that the average consumer is 35, which is a fantastic group to target as they tend to have disposable income and the $10 -$15 price tag of each Funko tends to be insignificant.

[I'll remind you that the average age of our consumer is 35. In addition to dominating this adult demographic of fandom, Funko plans to continue increasing our offerings for younger audiences.]

Last edited:

DadEggs

Image all the resources/energy wasted and generated pollution just for that shit.
How am I supposed to help the environment and global warming with that wild shit happening?
Same goes with all that plastic tad shipped from China around the world, it's impossible to compensate for that on an individual level.
Thats why individual level environmental conservatism is pointless, aside from i guess the self-fulfillment aspect.

You as a consumer cannot make a significant environmental impact in the grand scheme of things. You want to believe you can. But you cant. Its a farce. Big govt and corps want you to think can help, but its just an agenda and marketing to benefit them in other ways. Until its heavily and strictly regulated at a global or national level then just do what makes you live comfortably.

20cent

Nendoroids are far superior. They used to be more limited in variety since at first they were only anime, but now they cover anime, video games, movies, comics, cartoons, etc. Yes, they cost quite a bit more than a POP, but if you’re going to be displaying a figure, might as well have a good looking one and 99% of POPs look terrible (there are a few good ones like Overwatch’s Wrecking Ball having an amazing one. The (Fullmetal Alchemist) Alphonse Elric one with him holding the kittens was pretty good too).

But yeah, for those willing to spend some extra dough, feel free to join the Nendoroid express. We have fun here.

TJie937.jpg
LZSmhVw.png
GHEtLRm.jpg
p9w90H8.jpg
dsjvj2H.jpg
They look way, way better.
That's still plastic garbage though.
They are also sold 3-5x the price of Funko stuff, for a smaller size.

Rayderism

Ever since I first saw those ugly things, I called them Funky Poops.

Being 55 I'm sure I am not the demographic they were going for, but I couldn't help thinking who would want those horrid things.

Last edited:
It's aimed at nerdy manbabies and any adult who wants cutesy toy on their shelf. No doubt anime lovers too given the looks of them with giant heads.

That's why the racks of Funko toys are aimed at the video game and electronics sections of stores. And not the kids toy section like Barbie and Beanie Babies.

Surprisingly, Funko is appealing to a wide demographic. The company reported that the average consumer is 35, which is a fantastic group to target as they tend to have disposable income and the $10 -$15 price tag of each Funko tends to be insignificant.

[I'll remind you that the average age of our consumer is 35. In addition to dominating this adult demographic of fandom, Funko plans to continue increasing our offerings for younger audiences.]

This data is disturbing. You said it yourself, fucking directed at manbabies. Otaku Wannabes. Lol..

RoboFu

One of the green rats
they are cool but I have noticed there is always a huge amount of the ones no one wants on the shelves

Top Bottom