• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Game of the Year 2009 - Voting Thread - 3 POINT SYSTEM, rules updated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Assassins Creed II - 3
Dragon Age: Origins - 2
Batman AA - 2
Borderlands - 2
Professor Layton & the Diabolical Box - 1

As we kick off Page 13 (in the 100 post format), I've updated the votes through Page 6 (through Post #600). Some facts:

- Two games are tied for 8th place
- Three games are tied for 15th place
- 49 games have 10 or more points
- The top handheld game is currently tied for 21st place, which compares similarly to last year's results, where the top handheld game (The World Ends With You) came in 20th place

Noshino

timetokill said:
As we kick off Page 13 (in the 100 post format), I've updated the votes through Page 6 (through Post #600). Some facts:

- Two games are tied for 8th place
- Three games are tied for 15th place
- 49 games have 10 or more points
- The top handheld game is currently tied for 21st place, which compares similarly to last year's results, where the top handheld game (The World Ends With You) came in 20th place

If you don't mind me asking, what is the position of the highest ranked PC game?

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Uncharted 2 - 3
Batman: AA - 2
Street Fighter IV - 2
inFamous - 1
Assassin's Creed II - 1

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Just for the record, I think your system is great. People can still list a traditional top ten if they want to, but if they have a game they enjoyed significantly more than the others, like me, they can give it more points than their 10th favorite games of the year. You did good and we appreciate all the work you're doing.

Didn’t play much games this year, but from what I did play:

~3 Points~
• Resident Evil 5 ((My Game Of The Year!)) :D

~2 Points~
• Red Faction: Guerrilla
• Splosion Man
• Grand Theft Auto: Episodes From Liberty City

Yeah, overall this was such a weak year for gaming for me.

Left 4 Dead 2
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Punch-Out!!
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
Rhythm Heaven
Dead Space Extraction
The Beatles Rock Band
Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride
New Super Mario Bros. Wii

EDIT: Whoops, thought I had to spend three points on at least one game. I like to spread my points around as much as possible - this way, I can give more games cred instead of giving one game more cred.

Nyx

Streetfighter 4 - 3
Dragon Age : Origins - 3
Fifa 10 - 1
Battlefield 1943 - 1
CoD : Modern Warfare 2 - 1
BlazBlue Calamity Trigger - 1

Alts

timetokill said:
* lots of stuff *

I don't want to shit this thread up any more, but I still have a few questions.

What does this system accomplish that Anihawk's wouldn't?
How many people have explicitly said they prefer ranking games in tiers to creating a Top X list?
Where Anihawk's threads asked "What are your top 10 games this year", this thread seems to be saying "Vote up your favorite games". While similar, I feel the spirit of the question is different, especially after enforcing the point limit. Do you agree/disagree, or do you find the distinction unimportant?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Street fighter 4 - 3
Uncharted 2 - 2
Assassins Creed 2 - 2
Red Faction: Guerilla - 2
InFamous - 1

Alts said:

Too much whining in this thead (just like in the Bayonetta thread). Just roll with it man. It's a good system. It's simpler in terms of calculation, it's easy for voters, plus it allows underdogs or less appreciated games to do well.

(There have been several threads in the past months about how the voting should be done. You should've weighed in there.)

Edit: Oh yeah, and the most laughable are those posters who heroically refuse to vote because of the system. LOL, really? really?

ibu

Uncharted 2 -3
Batman Arkham Asylum - 2
Assassins Creed 2 - 2
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 - 1
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite - 1
Dragon Age Origins - 1

Garcian

Street Fighter IV - 3
New Super Mario Bros - 2
Mario & Luigi Bowser's Inside Story - 2
Mushihimesama Futari - 2
Professor Layton & The Diabolical Box - 1

A Link to the Snitch said:
EDIT: Whoops, thought I had to spend three points on at least one game. I like to spread my points around as much as possible - this way, I can give more games cred instead of giving one game more cred.
Perfect :) Glad that worked out for you!

Alts said:
I don't want to shit this thread up any more, but I still have a few questions.

How many people have explicitly said they prefer ranking games in tiers to creating a Top X list?
Where Anihawk's threads asked "What are your top 10 games this year", this thread seems to be saying "Vote up your favorite games". While similar, I feel the spirit of the question is different, especially after enforcing the point limit. Do you agree/disagree, or do you find the distinction unimportant?
Cool, I thought that since it was the last post on that page that it might be missed :lol
Thanks for the questions. Before I begin let me say I really enjoyed your page looking at the previous results and different algorithms on them, and I think I mentioned that in your thread. I found it really interesting, and right up my alley.

I haven't gone through counting how many people have said that, but I've gotten a few PMs to that effect and I've seen a few people say it in this thread as well:
jcm said:
For what it's worth, I like the voting system. It's a classic Good Better Best sorting, with the stipulation that there can be only one best, and a limited number of points. It's no more arbitrary than any other voting system.
Several posters have also said simply that they like the new system (just one example), though they haven't necessarily given specific reasons. And of course a ton of people simply voted.

I'll try to be concise but also address most of the things I've been seeing in this thread.
I think this system is more flexible and I think works more realistically for people who don't want to rank each and every one of their choices. A lot of people don't have "#1" games, and just have a list of games that they enjoyed and feel should be recognized. Other people do have #1 choices. I aimed to meet both types of people with this system. The previous system forced people to order them, and while that accomplishes certain things and I'm not saying it's a bad system, I do prefer this style of voting. I also feel that this system enables those who only wish to vote for one game to do so without totally skewing the end result. I also like that this method is flexible enough to give the same "net impact" to people who want to list a lot of games as well as the people who were passionate about a smaller list of games.

Something else that I like about this system is that your "first-place" vote is never more than 3x the amount of points you give your other games... in the previous system, one game could receive up to 10x the amount of points that another got. Under this system, if four people vote for a game, it will always outrank a game that only one person has voted for. In the previous system you could have up to 9 people vote for a game (with a score of '1') and it wouldn't rank above a game that one person voted a '10'. I don't think that would really accurately reflect the community's feelings towards the game as well as in the new system. I think Top 10 lists can become kind of arbitrary as well... you're implicitly encouraged to "complete" the list, but to me it can be hard to say one game is a 6 and one is a 5. Is my first choice really 10x better than my last choice? Etc. Noshino also pointed out in this thread that this system avoids the situation where a person votes for a title at #1 and then throws out a couple other games at #9 and #10.

bcn-ron said:
I think it's good that this one doesn't make you order everything. You can now name several games that you enjoyed as much as each other.
Noshino said:
With the old system, people had to put their games in order of preference, hell, even if one wanted to just name 3 games, they couldn't put the 3 of them at the top, one HAD to be better than the other. That problem is solved this time around.
To answer your question about the "spirit" of the voting, I do think this is about voting for your favorite games, while not necessarily about voting them "up," so to speak. I think it's much more interesting to see what GAF's favorite games are, and I think it's more fun that way. Making it about the "Top" games makes it seem more about critically appraising and objectively ordering the top games. I think it's more fun to see what people simply enjoyed and stuck with them. To me this system makes it so when a game appears on your list, it's a game that really stood out to you and one I should take note of. I also think a Top 10 list would cause people to populate the list "just because," sometimes to fill the list or sometimes to put in more prestigious titles or such. Lostconfused said something about it:
Lostconfused said:
Well I guess that's my problem but I would end up listing those games anyways. Because they were pretty good. This point system made me think about which ones I had more fun with this year rather than just listing an ok AAA game.

Of course, if people were really concerned about niche titles getting recognition compared to the big titles, the most effective way to do that (in both systems) is to leave off the AAA games from your list and only vote for the niche titles. You know others will vote for the big AAA games and you will have avoided pushing them even higher by not voting for them at all. Same issue for both systems, but I feel mine mitigates that by pulling the numbers closer together.

People also were worried about niche titles not getting recognition. flabberghastly touches on this:
flabberghastly said:
I like this approach even more for niche titles, because the niche titles making the cut are ones that people cared enough about to devote their meager points to, which means they're more likely to deserve some interest from other people. I know that I personally had three niche titles on my list, Flower (3 pts.), Machinarium (2 pts.), and Noby Noby Boy (2 pts.). Many other people have been doing similar things with their points.

You said something earlier in this thread that I disagreed with: that I "shifted the complexity of the system to the voters." I don't really see this as being true... in both systems, we are simply asking GAF users to count to 10. But in the previous system we are also asking them to rank every single one of their choices in comparison to the others, which I think can be more complex than what I am asking in the rules for this year's voting.

Lastly, and again not to "shit up the thread" as you mentioned... what are your thoughts on the theoretical revision I posted on the last page (the 20/4 example)? In that system you'd have more games (which seems to be the primary issue for some people, still) and still have the flexibility we have now. It also might be fun to limit it to 10 points maximum per platform, to address the console warrior issue people were discussing earlier as well as promote variety in the voting.

In the end we may have to agree to disagree. There are always going to be tradeoffs, but I think that along AniHawk's directive and suggestions were to use this opportunity to experiment and try and improve the way we do this. And damn it, I typed too much :lol

Hugbot

Batman: AA: 3 Points - If you had told me a year ago that a Batman game would be my GOTY, there's not a chance in hell I'd believe you. Pleasant surprise of the ever.

Borderlands: 2 Points - I've always liked Gearbox, but there games have always taken special eyes to appreciate. Borderlands has a style and humor that really stands out, and is addicting as all hell. The post-launch DLC is keeping it relevant, and it doesn't feel like they pushed out an incomplete game to have stuff to sell later.

Uncharted 2 : 2 Points - Great googly-moogly, what a game.

Dawn of War 2 : 1 Points - Absolutely wonderful game, it manages to marry two genres that lonely nerds sit at home and play all night with WH40K. In spite of (because of) this, I absolutely love it.

Torchlight : 1 Point - A really good game, has this 'loot' business down to a science. The amazing support the devs have given the mod community pushed it above dozens of full-price games to make it on my list, so that's something.

SFIV : 1 Point - I like punching guys and (to a lesser extent) being punched by guys. Great entry into the SF series, even if the online play was at times janky.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 2
Flower - 2
Uncharted 2 - 2
Little King's Story - 1
Sin & Punishment 2 - 1
Mushihimesama Futari Ver 1.5 - 1
Muramasa: The Demon Blade - 1

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Uncharted 2 = 3
Street Fighter IV = 2
Ratchet And Clank: A Crack In Time = 2
Killzone 2 = 2
Infamous = 1

nib95

Banned
At the end when you guys post results, could you please mention how many points each game got? I'm really curious to know. As I was last year but I don't think they actually posted the number of votes/points. Just the end results which was a shame.

Cheech

Neuromancer said:
I hope you're not talking about my favorite level, the ice cave. =(

UC2's ice cave started out really, really cool. But it dragged badly. Jumping from crack to crack on the wall, platform a bit, more crack-navigating... man. But like everything else in the game, it was a really cool location. It just wasn't very much fun to play.

Lince

Banned
perryfarrell said:
Oh yeah, and the most laughable are those posters who heroically refuse to vote because of the system. LOL, really? really?

I agree they're somewhat comical but I respect their decision, they should start their own thread though, so everyone's happy :)

RickA238

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 === 3
Street Fighter IV === 2
Metroid Prime Trilogy === 2
Resident Evil 5 === 1
Dragon Age: Origins === 1

logic: I've put over two days of play time into MW2, it's the best online game I've played since CS 1.5. SFIV is great, but less replay value than MW2, no local community for the game (net code sucks for advanced play). Haven't yet beaten RE5 or DA:O, or they would probably both get 2's. MP1 alone is still one of the best games I've ever played, so it lifts the trilogy up above most 2009 releases

I mostly wait for games to go down in price before buying, so I don't have a large pool of games I feel I can legitimately rank. Only bought about five games released in 2009 thus far.

zigg

New Super Mario Bros. Wii: 3

Big Bang Mini: 2
Excitebots: 2
Little King's Story: 2

The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks: 1

stevenapex

Neo Member
Uncharted 2 - 3 - Game of the year. This is the only game that made me use my PS3 all year! Slightly clunky controls but the filmic storytelling more than makes up for the 10 minutes of controller frustration.

FIFA 10 - 2 - Great improvement on a great solid foundation of a football game. PES is getting better, but still has a way to go to get here.

Batman Arkham Asylum - 2 - So close to getting 3 points. Graphics were sublime. Mark Hammil as the Joker really works for me. Let down slightly by the repetitive nature of the fistfights and i'm just not that good at stealth...

Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box (or Pandora's box) - 1 - Good storytelling, complex puzzles. Great for a partner's DS to keep her occupied for a day or two.

Halo 3: ODST - 1 - Not seeing a lot of love for this. Underrated game. Does feel like just an expansion pack for Halo 3, but a thoroughly good few hours play. Inclusion of all the paid MP DLC and a beta code for Reach was a bonus.

Inarius

Formerly 'GMUNYIFan'
Dragon Age: Origins - 3
Batman:AA - 2
Demons Souls - 2
Borderlands - 2
Professor Layton & the Diabolical Box - 1

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
nib95 said:
At the end when you guys post results, could you please mention how many points each game got? I'm really curious to know. As I was last year but I don't think they actually posted the number of votes/points. Just the end results which was a shame.

Anihawk did post the total number of points each game got last year, but not the total number of votes.

orioto said:
Street Fighter IV -3
Pixel Junk Shooter -3

Read the rules.

Cuisino

Neo Member
Uncharted 2 - 3 points
New SMB - 2 points
Batman AA - 1 point
Borderlands - 1 point
Bayonetta - 1 point
NHL 10 - 1 point
Half Minute Hero - 1 point

HiResDes

AndyD said:
I think he meant there were not a lot of 360 exclusives this year, and those with only a 360 played the multiplatforms instead of the exclusives because there were hardly any exclusives to speak of. So the multiplatforms were surrogates for the missing 360 exclusives.

If I read it wrong, correct me.

I see very few lists with predominantly Wii and 360 exclusive games on them though. Lots of either Sony exclusives or multiplatforms.
Yeah I reacted harshly because I tend to lend the term "surrogate" a very negative connotation .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom