• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Pass & User Reviews.

User reviews are only useful if holistically the gamers rate the game without some kind of bias or review bombing. The issues can also have nothing to do with many gamers so it's moot.

For example, COD games will get grilled because people will bring up mtx and loot crates. Anyone who rates the game a bad score due to this makes no difference to me since I dont buy them and dont care about paying mtx in any game. The last mtx I bought was a Modern Warfare 3 map pack 10 years ago. Yet I can still enjoy the series since then.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

I looked at the user reviews for Fallout 76 on the windows store, and there are many positive ones from people who claim to like it. Shocking stuff, they should just shut the user reviews down. These people have no knowledge of gaming and just mindless consume any trashy multiplayer GaaS title they can get at.

BeardGawd

I don't know what it is, but recently I find myself looking at user reviews and I think what an absolute idiot.

Looking at Recent Reviews:
Guilty Gear Strive:
2.8/5
Lots of 1 star reviews moaning that half the roster is locked behind dlc, I feel as Xbox users we are very lucky to even have this series return to the platform and part of a sub too, I purchased the ultimate edition as I'm super pumped about the series returning to Xbox, why do people expect dlc content free?

Wo Long:
2.9/5
Lots of 1 star reviews as the first boss is apparently too hard, got a retail copy sat on the shelf, can't wait to dive into this after wild hearts, really enjoyed the beta.

Atomic Hearts:
3.1/5
Lots of 1 star reviews due to being a Russian game. (Also some valid review complaints about poor performance etc) I don't think I'll ever have the time to start this game sadly.

Plus if you look at reviews for any 2D game, no matter how good it is, you will sadly see a lot of fools saying they are sick of megadrive looking games coming to Xbox.

I just feel like game pass user base is incredible entitled & full off fools.

They have a genuinely great service with great additions constantly added and you get stupid user reviews, crapping on stuff for trivial reasons or crapping on something they have no interest in.

I think the review system needs a serious overhaul with maybe X amount of playtime before you're allowed to leave a review.

If I was a publisher and saw people crapping on my game due to some of the stupid reasons I read in the reviews, I'd seriously reconsider putting my games on the service.

I understand everyone has different tastes, but I wouldn't go out my way to play or crap on something I have no interest in.

Sorry for rambling on, but it just really irks me.

I just think the user reviews can be detrimental to some truly excellent titles, that people might skip on from looking at user scores.

Edit: after seeing GHG's comment about steam reviews that show time played & whether they got the game free or paid, I think Xbox should adopt a similar review method, so it's easier to tell which reviews are fluff.
Game Pass should probably have their own Reviews seperate from purchased games.

One set of Reviews in yhe Game Pass app. The other set in the Microsoft Store where games are purchased.

Batiman

To be fair Guilty Gear could have a couple more characters. Feels very lacking compared to other games. I’m playing it again on series X but had that same complaint when I bought it on ps4.

User reviews get a bad rep. I miss star ratings on Netflix. Xbox store has a star rating and then you can read comments about the games. Its massively better than the other stores where you have zero input from consumers in rating or comments. Yes some people troll. But its not that different from just using a forum. You read through it and learn more about the game and then make up your own mind. Its better than having nothing but a marketing page and zero rating from consumers.

Banjo64

cumsessed
You think that's bad ? 90% of the user reviews on the Italian MS/Xbox store are :
"1/10
No ITA ! "

Apparently, there's still people in 2023 that can't read , speak nor write English and for them, the lack of a proper localization translates to "bad game", 'cause that will show the devs , amirite ?
Fucking developers man, why didn't they think about Nunzio, Luigi and all the others that at 20+/30+ years of age can only speak their native tongue ? 😁

I assume that the same thing goes on the Spanish/French stores...
What a shit take.

Imagine buying a product sold in your country and expecting proper localisation.

Top Bottom