• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GMR and XBN magazines are no more

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
Another gaming magazine publication bites the dust. EB's exclusive mag through Ziff Davis ends it's run on February 2005. The final issue is the January 2005 one.

Subscribers to GMR will be notified if they want to move their existing balance over to another Ziff Davis publication.

Matlock

Banned
What.

The.

Fuck.

The best gaming magazine out there goes away...

...but why? I thought circulation was alright.

BuddyC

sadbub.gif

I really enjoyed GMR. Now all I've got left is XBN...

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
Matlock said:
What.

The.

Fuck.

The best gaming magazine out there goes away...

...but why? I thought circulation was alright.

Ever since EB seperated their EB Edge Discount Card and GMR subscription programs into two entities last August, the EB Edge cards have sold well. GMR subscriptions, on the other hand, have flatlined. As a result, Ziff Davis will be dropping the magazine.

All EB stores have been told to removing anything GMR-magazine related, although whatever stock is left of the January 2005 issue can still be sold to customers.

Matlock

Banned
Kumiko Nikaido said:
Ever since EB seperated their EB Edge Discount Card and GMR subscription programs into two entities last August, the EB Edge cards have sold well. GMR subscriptions, on the other hand, have flatlined. As a result, Ziff Davis will be dropping the magazine.

All EB stores have been told to removing anything GMR-magazine related, although whatever stock is left of the January 2005 issue can still be sold to customers.

That fuckin' sucks.

aoi tsuki

i admit to buying my first issue because of the refreshing magazine design, but my subscription with my hardly-used EB Games card didn't go to waste. Hate to see them go; they were one of my favorite gamer mags, especially compared to GI. i'll keep an eye out for Caroline King's name in the future.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
If there are any fans of Gamestar (US) here, then they should be crying too, as that magazine also regrettably shut down last week.

Anyanka

That sucks. It was fairly cool.

That's why I quit getting it...they should have never seperated them.

I was always wondering about something...

When the heck did Gameinformer get so big? Because I still can't find any copies of it in my city... I remember it back in 98 and 99 and 2000... when it had WWE covers and TUROK 2 covers and shit...

How the heck did a magazine so crappy get so big?

It was small too... and looked cheap!

Fowler

Man, that sucks. Admittedly I haven't read GMR in a while (they don't sell it overseas so I'm reliant on people sending it to me), and I am a bit biased since I did contribute to it a while ago, but I always really enjoyed the mag. They really concentrated on giving you info rather than wrapping it in fluff. And those covers did indeed rock.

This sucks. Say it ain't so, Uncle Ziff.

kiryogi

Banned
Kumiko Nikaido said:

<_< I don't mind the loss of the discount card at all, but with this said. I think this explains why I never got my renewal subscription of GMR. I thought it was fishy when the guy gave me the new card for just 5$. Is circulation possibly screwy due to employees messing up like this too? :/

ferricide

captmcblack said:
Goddammit, and fucking Game Informer still exists. Ugh.

Any of you guys gonna join up w/other ZD publications?
sure, if they'll have me.

note: this was found out because of EB sending out an email. we didn't hear about it directly yet.

oh, what adventures tomorrow may bring!

ferricide

haha, that actually made me laugh.

but acutally peter seems to be a lovely guy. i had immense fun interviewng him and hanging out at lionhead.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
That sucks, GMR was my current favorite gaming magazine. Oh well...

MarkRyan

Sam Houser fucked my wife
fennec fox said:
If there are any fans of Gamestar (US) here, then they should be crying too, as that magazine also regrettably shut down last week.
Well that was quick. And the just published their first interesting article this month!

skip

impirius said:
Aw geez... :lol :lol

Here's hoping all the GMR folks land on their feet.

group1.jpg

I felt this before
Now I feel it again
No matter how hard I try
This feeling won't end

So I pretend you're here by my side
Tonight on this lonely ride
I keep telling myself that

Life goes on
while you're miles away
And I need you
Time goes on
as night steals the day
There's nothing I can do

You heal up my wounds
I tasted your tears
You spilled out your heart
So I let out my fears

But one fear that I kept to myself
Was how I prayed that you'd love no one else
Like you're saying you love me

If you only knew how much I miss you

When my mind plays these tricks on me
It shows me things I don't want to see
That's why I tell myself
I keep telling myself
Just take another piece of me

And this last mile I travel with you

KiNeSiS

Banned
Say it ain't so!!!!

Well got your big news of the weekend happy people. =(

I stole a copy of it that had paper mario when I was stayin at one of my peoples cribs.
It was an aparment complex that particular mail box was buster.
It really had a good import section, I was really thinking of subscribing.

Rhindle

ZD should take a gamble on a high(er)-brow Edge-style newstand mag. It's hard to understand how the UK could support two such publications, and the US not even one. XBN comes pretty close, but it's constrained by the single-platform format.

Top Bottom