• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Going to the movies.

Ownage

It's a garbage experience these days. The lowest trash on the totem pole ruining the experience for other souls in the theatre, cell phones and light pollution, children kicking seats, yelling, and genius laggers waddling in 20 minutes into the theatre (and shining their cell phone flashlights because they can't see). It takes some real mindfulness and meditation to not berate the living daylights out of them.

Perhaps movie theatre experienes were always like this, and I grew intolerant. Whatever the case may be, I'll never go back to a movie theatre again after tonight.

Quasicat

I’m done with movie theaters and have been since they did day and date (or even 45 day) releases; plus I have a big screen TV, awesome headphones, my recliner, and nobody around me to take me out of the experience.
I went out for dinner when most of the Covid restrictions were up and looked at the theater across the street seeing the new Ghostbusters movie was there. I went in and, during the movie, people were on their phones, talking over the movie, and one guy was yelling at the guy in front of him about how he was going to kick his ass. I got up, went home, and bought it on iTunes.
The kids want to see the Mario movie when it comes out on their spring break. I will probably take them during the matinee showing in a neighboring town where everyone else is still in school.

IDKFA

It's a garbage experience these days. The lowest trash on the totem pole ruining the experience for other souls in the theatre, cell phones and light pollution, children kicking seats, yelling, and genius laggers waddling in 20 minutes into the theatre (and shining their cell phone flashlights because they can't see). It takes some real mindfulness and meditation to not berate the living daylights out of them.

Perhaps movie theatre experienes were always like this, and I grew intolerant. Whatever the case may be, I'll never go back to a movie theatre again after tonight.

This must be a US problem.

In all my decades of going to the cinema in the UK, I've never had anyone kick seats, talk through a film, use their phone (maybe the odd one person for a few seconds) etc.

In the UK, when the film starts people shut up and are engaged. The only time you'll hear other people is from laughing at a funny moment in the film. Nobody starts screaming and clapping at some exciting moment.

I actually went to the cinema yesterday with my son to watch Creed 3. For the whole duration of the film I was lost In the world. Not one interruption at all.

Mr Hyde

I've been going quite frequently to the cinemas from a young age and outside of the random guy or gal checking their phones from time to time (you just have to live with this, it's inevitable in this modern age) I have only encountered two incidents that were noteworthy and ended up ruining the movie I was watching.

1. Due to a severe hangover I fell asleep during the Attack of the Clones after 30 minutes and woke up at the end credits when one of my buddies tapped me shoulder and asked me if I thought the movie was good.

2. Went on a date to the movie Snake Eyes with Nicolas Cage. We agreed to meet up inside the theater, but she never came. And the movie sucked so much ass I walked out after 45 minutes.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I went to see Avatar, and to be honest, the experience was different. Nothing like you are describing. Basically there were ten people in the whole theater. And it was cold as fuck.

John Bilbo

I hate those guys walking around with their cellphones on. Always got to adjust the camera anew because of them.
There will be an AI implementation to filter those sons of bitches out. Peace
Peace Out Reaction GIF

Kev Kev

I've had great movie theatre experiences the last few years or so. Bohemian Rhapsody, Lightyear in 3D, Thor Love and Thunder, Avatar 2, etc. I wait till a month or so after the movie is released, then go on a slow weekday, get high as hell, popcorn and soda, 3D if available and just enjoy the hell out of myself. The seats recline, there are maybe 8 other people in the theatre, and it's genuinely an enjoyable experience.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I quit going to the theater since the pandemic and haven't been back. I've come to just enjoy watching a movie in the comfort of my own home. I can wait a few months for it to be available on streaming services or Redbox. Cheaper than a movie ticket too.

Last edited:

winjer

It's been maybe 7 or 8 years, since I last went to a cinema. I don't even remember what movie I saw, the last time I went.
For the most part, it's just a waste of time and money.
Better to watch a movie at home, where I can pause at any time, to get something to eat, or to go to the bathroom, or whatever.
And best of all, no annoying people, no one making noise, no overpriced popcorn.

SegaManAU

Yeah, I feel exactly the same way.

I hardly ever go to the movies now, it has to be something really amazing I want to see and I normally will pay extra to watch it in gold class.

Went to see Creed 3 last night and I never had a theater experience like this: people talking, coming in and out constantly, someone shouting Shut the fuck up in response to the talking, a woman was getting gummy worms thrown at her and she called out the dumbasses who were doing it, sexual moaning, and vaping (wtf?).

I guess maybe the type of movie attracts the people who will go see it (teens, young adults) but that was by far the worst experience so far.

Creed 3 is a solid-good film btw.

This must be a US problem.

In all my decades of going to the cinema in the UK, I've never had anyone kick seats, talk through a film, use their phone (maybe the odd one person for a few seconds) etc.

In the UK, when the film starts people shut up and are engaged. The only time you'll hear other people is from laughing at a funny moment in the film. Nobody starts screaming and clapping at some exciting moment.

I actually went to the cinema yesterday with my son to watch Creed 3. For the whole duration of the film I was lost In the world. Not one interruption at all.
Yes, US problem. Never experianced this at home in Austria and here in Hong Kong is even more chill/respectful. I barely even saw people using their phone here. Quite impressive.

Coconutt

Went to go see Cocaine Bear recently, I'll go out to the movie theatres maybe 3 - 4 times a year, fairly certain the person in the row in front of me was some guy catching a free movie, kept moving seats when they were assigned. Guy had serious BO and decided to take his shoes off halfway through the movie, never again . :sick:

Spaceman292

Depends what movie you go to see and when you see it. If you see some garbage like Antman at a peek time of the day, of course you're going to end up with the kids and wankers.

If you go to see something cool when it's not busy then it's fantastic

k_trout

way back in the day my local cinema did a midnight screening of movies like Aliens, this was way before mobile phones were common place. that was the last time I enjoyed the cinema

Tams

It's great in Japan.

No one uses their phone. People shut the fuck up (no retarded clapping and cheering). Very few come in late, if at all, and they don't even profusely apologise like normal (which is great).

Subtitles on non-Japanese films can be a little annoying, but nothing to really complain about.

You do get the odd heavy breather and loud eater, and sometimes someone buys something stinky to eat.

Lasha

I have only experienced what you describe when I went to the cinema in rough neighborhoods. You wouldn't happen to be trying to catch movies in Baltimore would you?

SJRB

I swear to god cinema has always been a shit experience I avoid unless I absolutely have no other choice because of the risk of the movie getting spoilt on the internet.

I go and see one movie per year, tops. The amount of people, the talking, the disgusting chewing on rancid-smelling food, the price of admission, the mediocre image quality, of course the tall dude with the giant afro sits right in front of you.

It's just a shit experience overall.

My cinema has a VIP section where the prices are triple for the tickets but junk food is all free and included, better seats, etc. No idiot goes there besides ppl who love cinema so not a big issue for when I want to watch a huge important movie. Problem is, I havent needed to watch a movie at the cinema in a while. Peak was Avengers Endgame and since then, meh. Maybe Ill go to John Wick 4.

If I want to see a movie I usually go on a Friday between 10AM-1PM and there is usually a bunch of people but can't say I've had any issues with them. Also I buy tickets for the "SuperScreen", whenever possible, which is less popular because it's more expensive.

I've not been to the cinema for a while. I wanted to go see Avatar but couldn't get the time off work and when I did I didn't want to go anymore because most likely I'd be the only person there lol and I don't want to sit in a huge room myself. I know some people would love that but it's nice to have some people around.

For weekends, I never go to the cinema unless I'm going with a few people. I can't deal with how busy it gets or I start having panic attacks lol. I'm not good in busy enclosed spaces.

Last edited:

Ownage

I have only experienced what you describe when I went to the cinema in rough neighborhoods. You wouldn't happen to be trying to catch movies in Baltimore would you?
Tysons Corner was Saturday night. Bethesda before that. I can't imagine what Baltimore would be.

Lasha

Tysons Corner was Saturday night. Bethesda before that. I can't imagine what Baltimore would be.

Man now did I know this was in the DMV. Basically any social activity is a shitshow there. Catch a movie in SoMD and it's peaceful. Even down in Waldorf was better than up your way.

Baltimore...you take your life in your hands.

Ownage

Man now did I know this was in the DMV. Basically any social activity is a shitshow there. Catch a movie in SoMD and it's peaceful. Even down in Waldorf was better than up your way.

Baltimore...you take your life in your hands.
I dunno about SoMD. I've seen some films at Montgomery Mall and saw the same behavior at AMC Arc Light. The entire experience is a dumpster fire. Price point won't weed out the scrubs. Same goes for a lot of stuff in the DMV.

I will say this about Baltimore. There are some chill, cool and very successful Asian girls around there. If you are a guy who has your stuff together, it's an easy win.

Mr Blobby

Neo Member
where I go the place rarely fills out so you can move around and people are generally respectful. Movies are often dumb fun, not to be taken seriously and the audience getting in on it can add to the enjoyment. I think going is more than the sum of its parts and for me it's an escape, both imaginatively and physically.

SteadyEvo

I wouldn’t dare go to the movies. For what? To be in a cramped space with strangers that may or may not have common etiquette? I’m good. If a movie catches my interest I’ll watch in the comforts of my home.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
I would never see a "mainstream" movie in theaters. People are animals and have zero consideration of others and their surroundings. However, It's a super nice experience if you go to a fine arts cinema with cultured and civilized folks

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Last time I went, the guy across the isle was tilting his phone screen towards my direction, when he opened it up to scroll every five minutes. I guess this was a courtesy to the people on the other side of him.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I go to the matinee so the crowd is all old people.

This isn't always necessarily a solution. Went to a matinee screening once and all the fossils fell asleep and started snoring

Movie was Bone Tomahawk which is hilarious in retrospect. That scene happened and some old bird down the front went "oh that's terrible"

AJUMP23

This isn't always necessarily a solution. Went to a matinee screening once and all the fossils fell asleep and started snoring

Movie was Bone Tomahawk which is hilarious in retrospect. That scene happened and some old bird down the front went "oh that's terrible"
Yes I saw the Riddly Scott movie the Last Duel and when her husband says to his wife after she talks about her rape "I can't let him be the last man to have entered you" and undoes his pants the women in my theater gasped. I laughed a little.

Lasha

I dunno about SoMD. I've seen some films at Montgomery Mall and saw the same behavior at AMC Arc Light. The entire experience is a dumpster fire. Price point won't weed out the scrubs. Same goes for a lot of stuff in the DMV.

I will say this about Baltimore. There are some chill, cool and very successful Asian girls around there. If you are a guy who has your stuff together, it's an easy win.

The culture of the region is so bizarre. Basically the hardest hoods, white trash who used to live in the hood but got government jobs and act fancy, young transient workers, surrounded by hick farmers. I lost faith in America until I finally took a vacation outside of the DMV and realized normalcy was only a few hours drive north or south.

thefool

While its not usually bad, I regularly go to movie theaters which are quite a bit more pricey to not have to deal with certain crowds who might think going to the cinema is a social activity.

Last edited:

Ownage

The culture of the region is so bizarre. Basically the hardest hoods, white trash who used to live in the hood but got government jobs and act fancy, young transient workers, surrounded by hick farmers. I lost faith in America until I finally took a vacation outside of the DMV and realized normalcy was only a few hours drive north or south.
Agree. Richmond isn't bad. Charlotte is good. Philly... dayum, lol.

For real tho, I do like and respect Shaw / Howard. I also remember what it was 25 years ago during Clinton / GWB era.

thefool thefool , you'd think such a strategy would work, but in the DMV pricing out certain demographics doesn't mean any behavior changes.

Last edited:

Fbh

The good thing about living in a non English speaking country is that the vast majority of people who behave like that tend to go to watch the dubbed version.
Still, even when the movie going experience is good I hardly see the point anymore when most stuff releases on demand 2-3 months later and it's cheper than ever to have a really nice setup at home. Only the ocassional movies like Avatar which truly shines on IMAX is worth the trouble and money IMO.

Spyxos

Thor 4. Everyone was talking and screaming it was almost unbearable. I probably only experienced 50% of the film.
Avatar 2 no one talked rarely experienced such silence in the cinema. But the prices were raised again and I think I will avoid the cinema for now.

Lasha

Agree. Richmond isn't bad. Charlotte is good. Philly... dayum, lol.

For real tho, I do like and respect Shaw / Howard. I also remember what it was 25 years ago during Clinton / GWB era.

thefool thefool , you'd think such a strategy would work, but in the DMV pricing out certain demographics doesn't mean any behavior changes.

There's a reason that all the signs on 95 north list NYC as the next major city after DC.

I only get back to the district every few years and I'm honestly kinda depressed every time I visit. U-street used to have a unique character. Now it's entertainment for the suburban tourists and the people from southeast who cross the river to rob them. I doubt any of the local culture survives another generation since I was looking at houses near Howard hospital that all topped a mil.

Southeast is depressing for a different reason. My parents grew up there and I used to go play Tekken and hang out with friends all the time. It used to be that nobody fucked with you if you looked like you belonged. Now even the cops stop to mess with you if you aren't black. The gentrification of DC and the NW/SE divide has become disgusting.

But OT, I caught movies in NYC and Charlotte recently and found the experience to be more inline with what I see at home: Polite audiences, assigned seating, and good audio visual. I really think you're just stuck in the DMV bubble.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
In my opinion, it's better than ever. I love having reserved seats. Most of the theaters around me have recliners. And most have pretty decent (albeit over priced food).

The bigger problem is the lack of theatrical movies. Just tentpole super hero trash.

IDKFA

This is why I have an 85" 4k tv at home and surround sound. Who needs the movies?

I have to admit, if you can afford it then a home experience is unbeatable.

I'm just about to drop a few hundred quid on a Sony 4K UHD BR player because physical UHD discs wipe the floor with streaming (I'm also back into film collecting). That, combined with my Dolby Atmos sound system and 65" 4K TV makes for a hell of a home experience.

GeekyDad

I wouldn’t dare go to the movies. For what? To be in a cramped space with strangers that may or may not have common etiquette? I’m good. If a movie catches my interest I’ll watch in the comforts of my home.
I'm kinda like you in that way. Though the sound is sometimes a treat, it's also usually too loud -- both the audience and the movie.

Outside of going to see The Rocky Horror Picture Show, I don't find it inspiring to go to a theater all too often. The exceptions are movies I have to see Day 1.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Cinemas at their best are better than a home experience. If you could guarantee it, I'd go all the time.

As is, I do as mentioned above - go to an expensive cinema where people go to watch films. This is the UK, btw.

I think the monthly fee passes may have made things worse - people with nothing to do will go see a film they're not interested in when they have nothing to do.

Imo, they ought to put a member of staff in each screening to tell people to behave - I'd happily pay more for a good experience.

Last edited:

Winter John

The best time I ever had at the movies was when the local place had midnight double bills of old black& white monster films. Dracula, Wolfman, The Mummy. Me and my buddies would drop acid and go watch them. The place was always empty except for us. The best date movie ever was Boogie Nights. There's something about that film that drives chicks crazy. The best advice I can give to anyone who's started seeing a girl is to get some weed and put that film on. It's a guaranteed winner.

Top Bottom