• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Going to the movies.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Theaters whole thing are getting out maximizing attention and you can’t get up to let the dog out plus the huge screen bigger than 85in TVs.

I live going to the cinema. It’s just a fantastic experience… at least at my favourite cinema here in Hamburg.
But yeah, obviously it all depends on the cinema.

bitbydeath

and the audience getting in on it can add to the enjoyment.
How I picture American cinemas.
giphy.gif

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
The French arthouse production I went to see just had one other older couple and they were very nice.

AJUMP23

I went to see Creed 3 yesterday and in the final boxing sequence some ladies. in the same row as I, were coming apart when the men took off their shirt and they showed their chest. They cheered and celebrated everything Michael B Jordan did.

Ownage

This is a true story.

Back in 2000, when the film Traffic came out, I went to Potomac Yard in Alexandria to see it. This was a very mixed demographic neighborhood, but at the time the theatre was new and had all the desirable features.

During the film, when a hood rat drug dealer was banging the daughter of one the US government main characters, some line was spoken by a character, and all of a sudden someone in the audience pulled a gun out, shouted "Oh hell naw" with a few mf bombs, and started waving the gun at the screen. People screamed and ran out of the theatre.

This is the DMV.

Valonquar

I quit theaters long before the pandemic, I have to imagine it is way way worse now.
Cheap home screens and streaming have made people treat theatres like they are at home, which leads to lots of rude behavior. A lot of theaters have terrible upkeep and you'll get a screen that is damaged, or poor sound. It honestly can't compete at all with a 70"+ 4K TV which you're going to sit close enough to have the same perceived image without all the annoying bullshit.

Dr. Suchong

I'm partially deaf, and the dreadful sound systems in Cinema's seem to make hearing the actors even harder.
I simply don't go anymore, haven't for years.
The argument for the "Cinematic experience" over home viewing holds very little water these days.

It's a garbage experience these days. The lowest trash on the totem pole ruining the experience for other souls in the theatre, cell phones and light pollution, children kicking seats, yelling, and genius laggers waddling in 20 minutes into the theatre (and shining their cell phone flashlights because they can't see). It takes some real mindfulness and meditation to not berate the living daylights out of them.

Perhaps movie theatre experienes were always like this, and I grew intolerant. Whatever the case may be, I'll never go back to a movie theatre again after tonight.
There have always been issues but the introduction of the smart phone took the annoying levels through the roof. I’d say 35-40% of the time I’ve had to get a refund on my ticket due to horrible behavior of others. I don’t go nearly as often now.

After GAF recommended The VVitch. I went to see it in an empty theater. It was great. I can see why the rich put a theater inside their house.

DeafTourette

Older than air but younger than the foundations of the earth
Ant Man. I liked it.

@Quasicat, you're right. I have a bigass screen and surround too. I love it. I guess I didn't feel like waiting for the latest D+ MCU and wanted to get out on (what I thought would be) a chill Saturday night.

Mistakes were made.

I saw Ant-Man last night. It was indeed great!

Few people and I got in free somehow... AND I found which auditorium it was in somehow too!

DeafTourette

Older than air but younger than the foundations of the earth
When me and my wife get out of the house to watch something we always end up in this "screening room" at the local movie theatre:

FXKDiyD.png

We've never experienced anything annoying, everyone have been civilized AF.

Studio Movie Grill or CMX?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
What I hate with all my being when being in the cinema, is that there are people who bring this screeching sound, in the whole movie!!!

fuc.....

They take to see a movie that is not suitable for children or neglect.

It's what I don't like about movies

Last edited:
I once threw some kids phone at the screen after the wee fucker refused to stop talking on it after being asked politely 2 times to stop... It was some group of Chinese kids other than that incident it's been absolutely fine, once the movie starts everyone shuts up and god help if someone claps, US cinemas look like the wild west

Top Bottom