• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gollum's new showing is a clear upgrade

Bragr

Gamers are cruel beyond measure when a game looks rough, and Gollum faced a storm of hate when they last showed it.

It's easy to meme and go after games these days, but making games is a difficult endeavor, and I appreciate it when a developer puts every ounce of effort into a project.

Frankly, I am not sure how good this game will be, but they have done a lot of work on the game since the last time, and it shows in this new trailer.

SJRB

This trailer is a million times better than previous trailers, but honestly this game was doomed from the start.

Nobody, literally nobody wakes up in the morning thinking "sheesh you know what LOTR game I really want? A game about Gollum". LOTR has so much potential and it's mindboggling that this is the road they took.

For the developer's sake I'm hoping for the best, but fearing the worst.

anthony2690

Some parts look great, like the environmental art direction & I don't mind the stylised cartoon looking featured characters etc.

But Gollum's hair looks so bad.

I might check it out on a deep sale, as I'm not really sure if the game is something I'd enjoy, I don't think it looks bad though.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Gollum looks like a regular kid from Manchester. Just missing a North Face jacket.
Laughing Out Loud Lol GIF by VH1

I’m sure it has an audience, it’s not me though. It just looks really off and considering the amount of time this has been in development, it’s not really got much to say for itself.

Kadve

I'm still trying to figure out what Daedalic was thinking taking on a project like this. They make some great P&C Adventure games but a 3P Actiion-Stealth like this? That's a genre that's completely new to them and using a well known and beloved character and license to boot is just asking for trouble. This tanking could easily tank them as well especially considering their last high profile release was in 2018.

Cyanide (the after mentioned Styx games) would have been a much better choice if MME wanted someone who could do it cheaply.

Last edited:
I'm still trying to figure out what Daedalic was thinking taking on a project like this. They make some great P&C Adventure games but a 3P Actiion-Stealth like this? That's a genre that's completely new to them and using a well known and beloved character and license to boot is just asking for trouble. This tanking could easily tank them as well especially considering their last high profile release was in 2018.

Cyanide would have been a much better choice if MME wanted someone who could do it cheaply.
Beloved character?
Gollum?
Lord Of The Rings GIF by Maudit

CGNoire

Sure, there is only so much they can do in such a short time. I like that the lighting is completely redone, which does a lot:

Old

HpCQezQ.jpg

New

2hftg9r.jpg
I agree the trailer cutscenes where alot farther along this time and didnt look like a 360 game like last showing. ....the gameplay however.....yeeeeesssshhhh!

Holammer

Does anyone really want to crawl around as Gollum for a whole game?

Such a weird design decision but we'll see, anything LOTR can sell I guess.
Why not? It fills in some blanks in things alluded to in the LotR story.
Spoiler: he gets caught.

I have more reservations about the character designs. Gandalf looks and sounds how I imagine one of the blue wizards would.

Holammer

Peter Jackson's Lord of the Ring, did things so well it basically defined how characters should look and sound.
Because this game doesn't have the movie license, it looks like a cheap knockoff.
Chuck Dixon & David Wenzel's adaptation of The Hobbit defined the look of everyone for me, to the point where I can't bring myself to watch the movies.
Especially when all of them look like goofy fucks.

the-hobbit-wenzel-1.jpg

AJUMP23

True. At first I thought it was Radagast...
It is the name. He has a grey beard his whole life. He came out of the sky with a grey beard. Then he got a white beard after he took over for Saruman.

I did think the game looks pretty interesting.

Saber

Didn't even remember this game until now.
You have an entire cast of heroes and even enemies you could make a game...but they choose Gollum. The one that its important to the plot of LoTR but not alot interesting to play or be because of his nature.

Stuart360

Does anyone really want to crawl around as Gollum for a whole game?

Such a weird design decision but we'll see, anything LOTR can sell I guess.
I think they are going for a 'Styx' style stealth game, and those games did decent. With the LOTR license behind it i'd guess they are expecting it to do solid numbers.

Top Bottom