• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grew a beard for the first time in my life deep into adulthood and it has a certain power (no pics)

Tschumi

Any time I try to grow a beard it pauses at about 1cm and gets itchy. I think I was born to be a clean shaven adonis.

TheGrat1

I may clean shave again at some point in the future, but I think every guy needs to try this out at some point in their life and see where it goes.
Stay the course.
images
#AestheticGoals

Vagswarm

My beard grows too fast, and I'm way too lazy these days, to keep it clean cut like it used to be in the 20s. Maybe I'll give it a try once fit & motivated again.

I grew mine a couple years ago. As a middle school teacher, I need it. When I shave, I look 13; I'm 37. Also, my wife prefers my beard. I don't even shave at all anymore. I just go once a month to a barber to edge it up and keep it clean. You can see my beard on IG: guiltyofbeing. My current beard is a month's growth.

Last edited:

Vagswarm

I grew mine a couple years ago. As a middle school teacher, I need it. When I shave, I look 13; I'm 37. Also, my wife prefers my beard. I don't even shave at all anymore. I just go once a month to a barber to edge it up and keep it clean. You can see my beard on IG: guiltyofbeing. My current beard is a month's growth.
Damn, that's quite the jump... 13 years old? lol. I was always told I look younger as well, and fit into younger crowds like nothing. Kind of curious what it would look like clean shaven. It definitely doesn't look good when you're a little overweight though, as I am currently.

Damn, that's quite the jump... 13 years old? lol. I was always told I look younger as well, and fit into younger crowds like nothing. Kind of curious what it would look like clean shaven. It definitely doesn't look good when you're a little overweight though, as I am currently.

Same. The beard hides my neckmeat.

Vagswarm

This thread needs pictures

I don't know if it's good idea to post this here or not but fuck it
Sure I'll bite, even though a bunch of us posted on the "picture of yourself" thread a while back. Lots of beards there, lol... Great picture by the way. 👍

Got some grey hair on the bottom due to old age, but it's starting to gruff pretty good. Might still cut it clean 'cause it always worked great.

self-2.jpg

I shave constantly because I grow a fucking neckbeard and I hate it. Might as well give me a fedora while you're at it, m'lady.

Cyberpunkd

I shave constantly because I grow a fucking neckbeard and I hate it. Might as well give me a fedora while you're at it, m'lady.
You shave the whole face or only the neck area? I don’t think you can ever avoid having hair not grow on your neck.

It’s funny to see as someone from Eastern Europe living in France now - here the beard is super trendy, in my home country it’s the opposite.

Mistake

Any time I try to grow a beard it pauses at about 1cm and gets itchy. I think I was born to be a clean shaven adonis.
Mine does that sometimes too. You just have to get through the itch phase and it will go away. There’s anti itch cream for beards if you need it, made from coconut oil. I also recommend buying a beard trimmer to keep it at the length you want.

On the topic of hair maintenance, here’s some sage advice from our dear member Gaborn.
“Shaving cream is a scam and makes your face weak. Use hot water.”

manfestival

I have this weird thing where I have gotten the most tail of my life hands down after having a decent amount of facial hair. Nothing too bushy but it seems to have mystical man powers that seduces the women with my damaged hair follicles.

WoodyStare

I too didn’t grow a beard until I was 25 and now I can’t see myself without one. The baby face is too much to bear, and everyone I’ve encountered loves it as well.

The beard has powers. Enjoy them.

Last edited:

Vagswarm

Whatever you do, don't do it like this dude. That weird pube looking beard triggers me. :messenger_fearful:
Looks like he could do with a good trimming of all that extra. Luckily mine just gets gruffy for the most part, although there is a little extra hanging out.

Dark Star

I was that guy in high school who could grow a legit beard and I thought it was really cool. I got a lot of attention. It made me look way too old, though. Outside of school random people thought I was in my mid 20s!

Now that I am in my mid 20s my beard is way more developed and people think I'm like 30 with a beard now. Right now I'm clean shaven (been experimenting with the clean shaven look for the last few weeks) and I could pass off a few years younger than I am, so I like it. I like looking clean and fresh, and so many guys of my ethnicity have beards, so I stand out a bit in a crowd.

I'd say the one issue I had with beards is the dryness you get, especially near the chin area. It's hard to moisturize your skin when you have like an inch of beard growth over it.

Last edited:

Polelock

Whatever you do, don't do it like this dude. That weird pube looking beard triggers me. :messenger_fearful:

All it takes is a simple trimming and that would look great. Spots on my face grow faster than others so I trim once a week. Also, people need to clean their beards and that includes the skin under it. That shit gets oily quick.

Kev Kev

lol, my man posts embarrassing fanboy bait threads on a gaming website on a biweekly basis, and then turns around and tries to claim hes got a power beard

Thaedolus

Any of y’all have a beard for so long you’re worried what you’d find if you shave it off? I think I’m in that camp now, I don’t think I’ve been clean shaven in like 15 years

Vagswarm

*Edit: Think I misunderstood what you said. I took it as you haven't shaved at all in 15 years. Disregard.

Last edited:
i've been shaving since i was 14 and i hate it. i can't win cause i hate how i look with and without a beard. right now i should shave (well long before now) but fuck it i'm gonna keep it going another week. i really can't be arse shaving.

Marty-McFly

Banned
I was that guy in high school who could grow a legit beard and I thought it was really cool. I got a lot of attention. It made me look way too old, though. Outside of school random people thought I was in my mid 20s!

Now that I am in my mid 20s my beard is way more developed and people think I'm like 30 with a beard now. Right now I'm clean shaven (been experimenting with the clean shaven look for the last few weeks) and I could pass off a few years younger than I am, so I like it. I like looking clean and fresh, and so many guys of my ethnicity have beards, so I stand out a bit in a crowd.

I'd say the one issue I had with beards is the dryness you get, especially near the chin area. It's hard to moisturize your skin when you have like an inch of beard growth over it.
I'm going to give everyone a beard hack.

Cerave hydrating cleanser followed by some beard oil.

It's looking more majestic by the day.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Sure I'll bite, even though a bunch of us posted on the "picture of yourself" thread a while back. Lots of beards there, lol... Great picture by the way. 👍

Got some grey hair on the bottom due to old age, but it's starting to gruff pretty good. Might still cut it clean 'cause it always worked great.

self-2.jpg
I have a similar growth pattern. Still not long enough for a handlebar just keeping a Chevron right now. Keeping the sides a bit shorter with an extended goatee.

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
lol, my man posts embarrassing fanboy bait threads on a gaming website on a biweekly basis, and then turns around and tries to claim hes got a power beard
lol It's not like I had to do anything to achieve it. I just stopped shaving for once in my life. Shit it's even growing right now while I post. I'm wondering at what point the majestic stops and I start looking like a bum or does it just keep getting better.

Vagswarm

lol It's not like I had to do anything to achieve it. I just stopped shaving for once in my life. Shit it's even growing right now while I post. I'm wondering at what point the majestic stops and I start looking like a bum or does it just keep getting better.
Can confirm that after a while you start looking like a bum, especially if you don't keep it groomed. Double time if you let your regular hair grow and do nothing with it either.

highrider

Banned
I enjoy having a beard but I get tired of it as well. I could never be one of the permanent beard dudes, particularly in the summer I find it pretty uncomfortable.

Kev Kev

lol yeah man why stop now? keep goin, with the the beard, the bait threads, all of it. you keep doin you buddy (y)

Outlier

I tried growing my beard out recently. I managed to get about 5 or more inches in length, but my beard hair is so coarse that it was brittle and many hairs would just break off.

So, it never looked right and i trimmed it off.

I can't shave often as I'll get major bumps.

Oh well.

I wish I could grow a proper beard but when I tried during lockdown all I could get was some weird chin thing that looked horrible.
I'm not sure a full beard would even suit me tbf but I'd at least like to see what I'm like with one.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Growing that face might be the hard part though.
Spoken like someone who doesn't understand the true power of the beard :messenger_sunglasses:

I wish I could grow a proper beard but when I tried during lockdown all I could get was some weird chin thing that looked horrible.
I'm not sure a full beard would even suit me tbf but I'd at least like to see what I'm like with one.
You have to at least give it a couple weeks and use your beard trimmer to cut it into an even length to see how many follicles you have growing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom