• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Gaf |OT| Fingerpickin’ good

zbarron

Go to any thread where people show off their stuff and this is bound to happen :p

Just be glad you're not an auto-enthusiast. Or are you?

I know. I was just joking around that there are some really nice guitars in this thread.

No luckily not. We have a 2012 Prius since we have an over 50 mile commute.

I've been religiously devouring the Rob Chapman videos over the past week, and that's one constant refrain when they are doing the comparisons.

I'm surprised my MIM Strat has apparently kept it's value after all these years. It's been so long I don't exactly remember how much I paid for it, but do remember I had to layaway it. It'll be more than I paid for this EP LP and my dreadnought.
Yeah I recently watched this and it had the same conclusion.

It's not just exclusive to guitars though. With video cards, the higher end you get the worse the dollar per frame ratio.

Absolutely. Forget about the name and find a guitar you like the look of and plays well. Seriously, a $2000 guitar is not 4 times as good as a $500 guitar. Twice as good maybe! But you can find some lovely looking axes if you look around - second hand and even new.

I kind of agree, but $500 seems a little low. I think around the $1,000 range is when guitars get amazing. As you said, you can drop that price a little going used. After that, the improvements lessen. I've never played a $500 guitar that really wowed me. Not that there aren't perfectly fine ones. But, for me, a $1,000 guitar will generally blow a $500 guitar away pretty easily, while a $2,000 guitar will be marginally better, or cosmetically flashier, than a $1,000.

Wag

I'm a really good blues harmonica player. I wish I could play with a harmonica neck-rack and guitar simultaneously. I could never really do the Jimmy Reed thing...

I've been religiously devouring the Rob Chapman videos over the past week, and that's one constant refrain when they are doing the comparisons.

I'm surprised my MIM Strat has apparently kept it's value after all these years. It's been so long I don't exactly remember how much I paid for it, but do remember I had to layaway it. It'll be more than I paid for this EP LP and my dreadnought.

Now that I'm going to have three, I need to figure out what I'm going to do with them. Got a cheap Strat hard case, and a nice gig bag. Thinking about putting them on the wall.

go with hercules wall hangers , they are great

I kind of agree, but $500 seems a little low. I think around the $1,000 range is when guitars get amazing. As you said, you can drop that price a little going used. After that, the improvements lessen. I've never played a $500 guitar that really wowed me. Not that there aren't perfectly fine ones. But, for me, a $1,000 guitar will generally blow a $500 guitar away pretty easily, while a $2,000 guitar will be marginally better, or cosmetically flashier, than a $1,000.
Yeah, $500 is a bit cheap though in £'s that'd be more like $700. My Chapmans Guitars Norseman was £530 and I prefer it to my Ibanez Jem 505 which cost £1100 when I got it. Don't get me wrong expensive guitars are better but I've played/own some great guitars that are sub £600. Some of the guitars coming out of Korea from World Musical Instrument Co (including PRS SE, Schecter, Chapmans, Gretsch) are very sound, well made instruments.
I mean it's hard to quantify the quality of an instrument. Fit and finish add a lot to price. And stability in tuning is a big plus that more expensive guitars can have (but not always). I just find it hard to believe that very expensive guitars always sound better or make you play better. Certainly not 4 times better.
It certainly used to be when I was a kid some 30 years ago that cheap guitars were shit. And generally that was absolutely true. But not now. Not at all.
And to be honest most guitarists suffer a little (or a lot) from guitar snobbery. If I were given a choice between a $2000 or a $700 I'd get the $2000. But something 3 times cheaper isn't 3 times as bad.

Yeah, $500 is a bit cheap though in £'s that'd be more like $700. My Chapmans Guitars Norseman was £530 and I prefer it to my Ibanez Jem 505 which cost £1100 when I got it. Don't get me wrong expensive guitars are better but I've played/own some great guitars that are sub £600. Some of the guitars coming out of Korea from World Musical Instrument Co (including PRS SE, Schecter, Chapmans, Gretsch) are very sound, well made instruments.
I mean it's hard to quantify the quality of an instrument. Fit and finish add a lot to price. And stability in tuning is a big plus that more expensive guitars can have (but not always). I just find it hard to believe that very expensive guitars always sound better or make you play better. Certainly not 4 times better.
It certainly used to be when I was a kid some 30 years ago that cheap guitars were shit. And generally that was absolutely true. But not now. Not at all.
And to be honest most guitarists suffer a little (or a lot) from guitar snobbery. If I were given a choice between a $2000 or a $700 I'd get the $2000. But something 3 times cheaper isn't 3 times as bad.

That's one of the other things they were hitting on as well, how the quality on the lower end has really grown by leaps and bounds. "Cheap" has really evolved into "inexpensive" at a similar price point.

Feel, sound, construction, parts...all improve but not linearly.

There's a Facebook group called "Awesome Cheap Guitars" and they have a $500 limit. The stuff that people post - both selling and stuff they bought - is quite astonishing. If you look around hard enough you can get an amazing guitar for under $500.

Quikies83

Just moved into a apartment after my previous home was flooded.
Have to keep volumes at a reasonable level, so I picked up Carl's Speaker Soak passive pedal. Works really well.
Schecter C-1 Platinum Diamond Series
Orange Micro Dark 20w head
Orange PPC108 and PPC112
TC Electronics Flashback mini in fx loop
Korg Pitchblack tuner
Carl's Custom Speaker Soak

xsLp5ov.jpg

Quikies83

Nice setup man! I recently payed my nephew's Orange 60watt and I was very impressed. Never tried one before but now I'm intrigued.

I wouldn't recommend the 8" but the 112 and up have vintage celestions -- fantastic sound.
If you can catch one on a local sale, I can't recommend them enough.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
Hey guitar gaf!

I got my first electric guitar! Its a Epiphone Rosso Corsa. I got it for a steal on craigslist. been learning a bunch of rock and metal songs isntead of typical flamenco.

Now all I need is an amp heh

B70jKM.jpg

Hey guitar gaf!

I got my first electric guitar! Its a Epiphone Rosso Corsa. I got it for a steal on craigslist. been learning a bunch of rock and metal songs isntead of typical flamenco.

Now all I need is an amp heh

B70jKM.jpg

That's gorgeous. Better finish than this wine red studio. Is there binding?

My shipment is taking so long to get from Boston to Atlanta I'm surprised it hasn't stopped over in Milwaukee.

While I wait, new amp recommendations. Needs to be fairly compact, or able to be easily integrated into a piece of furniture. They need to make one that fits into an Expedit shelf. Looking for $200 or less, ideally.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
That's gorgeous. Better finish than this wine red studio. Is there binding?

yeah it has white binding it looks really good!

I made it a goal of mine to learn 100 rock/metal songs (solos included) and then I will reward myself with the gibson version.

The guy who sold it to me has the gibson version and it sounds extremely different (better) then mine. It really growls like a bitch and leads in a tube amp really sing

While I wait, new amp recommendations. Needs to be fairly compact, or able to be easily integrated into a piece of furniture. They need to make one that fits into an Expedit shelf. Looking for $200 or less, ideally.

For a $200 budget:

Marshall CODE 50W, used (or 25W new)
Boss Katana 50W
Monoprice 15W tube amp
Fender Mustang III V2, used
VOX AV15
Peavey Bandit 112, used, made in USA
Yamaha THR-10

trebbble

After nearly 18 months on a waiting list, I finally got a King of Tone. Going to put it through its paces over the next few days.

trebbble

Damn just looked up the prices. What's so special about these pedals?

They're a high quality, flexible dual boost/overdrive pedal that's made in America. They're about $250 from the builder if you don't mind waiting, but it's about 18 months or so since they're still handmade as he and his team can push them out. Think of Klon quality if they were still being made, though they don't sound quite the same and are different circuits.

I think the inflated prices are due to the relative scarcity. By coincidence, the builder was doing custom colours when I ordered... the only one in black I could find that sold - on Reverb - went for nearly $1700 CAD. Again, I paid about $250 USD. You can only get four from the builder lifetime, and I went back on the list immediately after mine shipped, since no matter what you can flip them for more than you pay for them. Gear stuff is funny.

zbarron

I just saw This guitar on slickdeals. I didn't even know about Baritone electric guitars. Anyone here ever played one like it? It has a 30" scale length and is tuned A D G C E A so the bottom four are the same tuning as a Ukulele but obviously an octave or two down.

I'm a really good blues harmonica player. I wish I could play with a harmonica neck-rack and guitar simultaneously. I could never really do the Jimmy Reed thing...

I have seen some impressive one man bands play harp, guitar, and drums at the same time.

I really don't know what I am doing with a harp. I know which end is which and I can play along with a shuffle, but that's about the end of it.

Anyone here ever played one like it? It has a 30" scale length and is tuned A D G C E A so the bottom four are the same tuning as a Ukulele but obviously an octave or two down.

The tuning is the same as a normal guitar, just down a fifth. If you finger an A chord then you're sounding a D chord.

I just saw This guitar on slickdeals. I didn't even know about Baritone electric guitars. Anyone here ever played one like it? It has a 30" scale length and is tuned A D G C E A so the bottom four are the same tuning as a Ukulele but obviously an octave or two down.

i have a gretsch electromatic baritone tuned from c to c. it plays/feels like a midway point between a bass and a guitar, every string is wound. pretty cool but more of a novelty really.

Go to any thread where people show off their stuff and this is bound to happen :p

Just be glad you're not an auto-enthusiast. Or are you?

Or try being into both and be a poor college student. I'm thinking about buying a mexican fender strat, but its hard to save up when I need to buy car parts.
That and the automotive thread is filled with expensive cars which makes you feel even more poor, lol.

So, I picked up the Epi just now, and I'm not sure excellent condition is applicable. Has a few light scratches on the top, which is disappointing but not a deal breaker. It has SD pickups though, which I was not expecting. Can I identify by taking them out, and are there any that would be worse than the included pickups on a Epi LP Traditional Pro?

I'm not really complaining, but it took me by surprise. It is a lovely model, and I'll be returning the Epi LP Studio Deluxe that I paid more for.

Pics soon.

Syncytia

Recently got the PRS SE Mark Holcomb. Pretty nice, I like it more than I thought I would and compares favorably to a USA PRS I think. If anyone is considering a PRS SE and unsure about it I would say just go it. I guess I'll have to play like an SE 245 or something to see how it plays.

Jesus 30" is insane. I suppose it depends what you play, but I wouldn't want to go more than 28" scale. Never played a 28" but I have a 7 string 27" and that's plenty.

So, I picked up the Epi just now, and I'm not sure excellent condition is applicable. Has a few light scratches on the top, which is disappointing but not a deal breaker. It has SD pickups though, which I was not expecting. Can I identify by taking them out, and are there any that would be worse than the included pickups on a Epi LP Traditional Pro?

I'm not really complaining, but it took me by surprise. It is a lovely model, and I'll be returning the Epi LP Studio Deluxe that I paid more for.

Pics soon.

Yeah, there should be a model number/name on the underside of the pick ups.

The promised pictures. With the Studio Deluxe I'm about to take back. $249+ $20 shipping for the Trad Pro w/ Seymour Duncan pups. I think I did well vs the $279 for the Studio Deluxe.

Wow very nice Chochese! Two beauties. And yeah that's a score with the Seymour Duncan pickups. I'm not sure what models they are but you can bet that they're way better than the stock Epiphone ProBuckers. The stock ProBuckers aren't bad, but they are cheap. They're slightly better than the stock Epiphone Alnico Classic & Alnico Classic Plus on your Studio. If you wanna test out the stock pickups you can buy them for like $60 a pair on eBay - people are always dumping Epi Probuckers after they do an upgrade. I wonder if the person who upgraded improved the wiring too. People tend to do the "50s Wiring" on Epis with new caps when they do the pickup upgrade.

I have to assume some people don't like '50s wiring or all dual humbucker/four pot guitars would have it.

Trivial mod to do (just move the wire for the tone circuit from the pickup lug of the volume lug to the sweeper/switch lug in the middle).

Wow very nice Chochese! Two beauties. And yeah that's a score with the Seymour Duncan pickups. I'm not sure what models they are but you can bet that they're way better than the stock Epiphone ProBuckers. The stock ProBuckers aren't bad, but they are cheap. They're slightly better than the stock Epiphone Alnico Classic & Alnico Classic Plus on your Studio. If you wanna test out the stock pickups you can buy them for like $60 a pair on eBay - people are always dumping Epi Probuckers after they do an upgrade. I wonder if the person who upgraded improved the wiring too. People tend to do the "50s Wiring" on Epis with new caps when they do the pickup upgrade.

Even my ignorant and untrained ear could hear how much better it sounded vs the Studio Deluxe. That was a very pretty guitar, and I may one day go for wine in an SG or something.

I did appreciate all the advice here, and am glad I listened and didn't just settle for the 100.

Is there a way to shield a guitar without owning a soldering iron?

Do yourself a favor and get one. Comes in so handy for so many things and they are dirt cheap and easy to learn to competency.

Always do wiring and electricity the right way and you'll never regret it.

zbarron

Depends on the guitar— you do need to connect the shielding to ground somehow, and a soldered connection is going to be the most secure.
Strat copy.
Do yourself a favor and get one. Comes in so handy for so many things and they are dirt cheap and easy to learn to competency.

Always do wiring and electricity the right way and you'll never regret it.
They are cheap, but I still struggle to justify it. What would it be useful for besides my electric guitar?

Edit: While we're on the subject is replacing the pots worth it?

Strat copy.

They are cheap, but I still struggle to justify it. What would it be useful for besides my electric guitar?

Edit: While we're on the subject is replacing the pots worth it?

Literally anything involving electricity. It's $10, it's impulse buy territory.

I can't believe I've never seen this thread before. I'm looking forward to reading through it checking out everyone's guitars and setups.

Quick question: anyone own or play a 2016(?) Fender Duo Sonic or Mustang? I've got a chance to grab up a capri orange duo sonic for pretty cheap, but I haven't heard much about their quality or anything.

forrest

formerly nacire
The BOSS Katana is crazy good for $199.

Yup, I second this statement. I bought one in December, now that I live in a small apartment in Seattle and the ability to change the wattage is awesome. You can have bedroom levels or gig levels at the turn of a knob.

I got the Katana 100 by the way. You can hear it in the video I posted a few pages back, but its recorded on my Samsung phone, so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7U4ZO92qZw&feature=youtu.be

trebbble

I can't believe I've never seen this thread before. I'm looking forward to reading through it checking out everyone's guitars and setups.

Quick question: anyone own or play a 2016(?) Fender Duo Sonic or Mustang? I've got a chance to grab up a capri orange duo sonic for pretty cheap, but I haven't heard much about their quality or anything.

Most anything Fender that's made in the USA or Mexico is pretty good quality these days. I like both of those guitars... they've got a bit of character.

I have to assume some people don't like '50s wiring or all dual humbucker/four pot guitars would have it.

Trivial mod to do (just move the wire for the tone circuit from the pickup lug of the volume lug to the sweeper/switch lug in the middle).

Oh definitely. The newer Gibson are all PCB boards, which many purists absolutely detest. That's what it all comes down to is purist taste. I had a long-winded discussion on another board about caps - orange caps, oil caps, Russian caps - I mean just ridiculousness! But people swear there are differences. And holy cow, bring up wrapping strings around the bridge and people go bonkers!

getting this in my post count and bookmarks

I sold my ibanez artcore bass (picture in spoiler) for some quick money which I immediately regretted because a it was pretty: b i'm a lefty so will probably never be able to buy a similar one again and c: I was then bequeathed a 1960s epiphone texan that has been valued at at least a 1000 pounds so I didn't actually need to sell it in the first place *facepalm*

stuck with my first bass from 10 years ago which is a shitty ashton so until I can save up for a bit for one that I want (haven't been able to find a £350 or so replacement I like the look of yet, just a schecter and a fender anodyne that are nearly £800 and £1000 respectively ._.) I think I'll give up for a while.

I do have a real hankering to play on instrument now though so I I'm going to buy an entry level acoustic as I never learned to play a six string and now seems as good a time as any. any recommendations?

found a left handed guitalele which I'm going to buy out of sheer novelty too.

Strat copy.

Some pots will have a part of the case which extends to the back of the pick guard, which you would have shielded, and the back of the pot should be grounded. Shielding tape can wrap up from the cavity onto the body (but hidden by the pick guard), to then make contact with the pickguard's shielding when it is on.

While we're on the subject is replacing the pots worth it?

What's wrong with the current ones?

Do you want a different value? A different taper? Something that isn't scratchy? Push-pull for something?

Ordered a piece of recording equipment used from guitar center. The store it's at called me to say it was actually a return, but they saw nothing wrong with it other than a couple loose screws. Said they couldn't run it through all of it's paces to be sure it was 100% functional, but I could return it to my local store if there's an actual issue. So, I guess we'll see. Kind of funny phone call. It was a pretty damn good price, so hopefully it works.

Oh definitely. The newer Gibson are all PCB boards, which many purists absolutely detest. That's what it all comes down to is purist taste.

Not all of it— there's objectively a difference in how the tone and volume controls work depending on where in the circuit the tone controls are. In 'modern' (1961+) Gibson-style (and every Fender), rolling off the volume rolls off treble, because some amount of the treble frequencies see less resistance through the tone pot (the cap is a high pass filter) than through the volume pot. Putting the tone control on the inner lug means that the signal goes through the volume pot before seeing the tone control. There's apparently a downside but I've forgotten it because it didn't matter to me in practice.

I had a long-winded discussion on another board about caps - orange caps, oil caps, Russian caps - I mean just ridiculousness! But people swear there are differences. And holy cow, bring up wrapping strings around the bridge and people go bonkers!

There's a lot of voodoo-magic in the guitar world with little basis in reality.

The cap's (real) value matters a lot, so it's worth spending the tiny amount of money on an orange drop or whatever with good tolerances but after that pfffft— wish I had a stock of paper-in-oil caps to throw on eBay.

Top wrapping is also a worth-while experiment to see if you like how it changes the play feel/sustain, but aesthetics aside, fairly sure there's no difference between top-wrapping and simply raising the stop-tail so that the break-angle over the bridge is the same.

There are those that think that anchoring the stop tail to the body somehow increases sustain in and of itself.

Syncytia

Ordered a piece of recording equipment used from guitar center. The store it's at called me to say it was actually a return, but they saw nothing wrong with it other than a couple loose screws. Said they couldn't run it through all of it's paces to be sure it was 100% functional, but I could return it to my local store if there's an actual issue. So, I guess we'll see. Kind of funny phone call. It was a pretty damn good price, so hopefully it works.

Huh, that's really odd. Maybe they were sketched out by the screws? What is it by the way? I do a lot of recording, just of guitar and bass though.

Huh, that's really odd. Maybe they were sketched out by the screws? What is it by the way? I do a lot of recording, just of guitar and bass though.

A Digi 003. I already have a 002, and there isn't much of a difference. But, they stopped supporting the 002 years ago. Essentially I just want to be able to use it in windows 10, and it was cheap enough to be worth it.

Not all of it— there's objectively a difference in how the tone and volume controls work depending on where in the circuit the tone controls are. In 'modern' (1961+) Gibson-style (and every Fender), rolling off the volume rolls off treble, because some amount of the treble frequencies see less resistance through the tone pot (the cap is a high pass filter) than through the volume pot. Putting the tone control on the inner lug means that the signal goes through the volume pot before seeing the tone control. There's apparently a downside but I've forgotten it because it didn't matter to me in practice.

Oh yeah, I've done 50s rewire on my Epiphone and there's definitely the roll off advantage. People don't like it cuz it does that phase shifting in the middle position (which I don't quite understand). Installed orange caps too, but the difference is more subtle. Slightly more trebly maybe?

zbarron

Some pots will have a part of the case which extends to the back of the pick guard, which you would have shielded, and the back of the pot should be grounded. Shielding tape can wrap up from the cavity onto the body (but hidden by the pick guard), to then make contact with the pickguard's shielding when it is on.

What's wrong with the current ones?

Do you want a different value? A different taper? Something that isn't scratchy? Push-pull for something?
This is the back of the pickguard.
32806205595_dec063a54d_b.jpg

31963277474_592ff07ee6_b.jpg

The white wire is ground and goes through the guitar and is connected to the tremolo claw on the back of the guitar. As you can see there is some shielding but it's insufficient. I need to figure out how to fully shield it.

As for what's wrong with the current pots, nothing I know of. Truth be told I don't know much about how they work at all. I'm just a tinkerer and like modding things.

Top Bottom