• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuchsdh

On the other side Bungie also have IMO the best narative execution in the series with Halo 3: ODST, which I think was a bit of an experiment for them.

I think CE wins for best narrative execution, although its story is deliberately pretty bare bones.

And as for botched narrative, I think 3 ultimately takes the cake when you balance what they were trying to do with what they did. Halo 2 I think of as generally just a bit too ambitious for its own good, whereas 3 had to wrap a bunch up but fumbled badly in the storytelling, especially regarding cinematics.

I think CE wins for best narrative execution, although its story is deliberately pretty bare bones.

It is by far the best IMO. There's so much mystery surrounding the ring, the covenant, and the flood but you never feel like you don't understand why you have to do something -- from start to end you have very clear, understandable, and common sense objectives which mostly just boil down to "stay alive and make sure this shit is contained". The depth comes from 343's throwaway comments, Cortana's observations, trying to figure out why the covenant were already there and so on. 4 is the only game in the series that tries to recreate that style of storytelling but I have too many issues with it to enjoy it in the same way.

And as for botched narrative, I think 3 ultimately takes the cake when you balance what they were trying to do with what they did. Halo 2 I think of as generally just a bit too ambitious for its own good, whereas 3 had to wrap a bunch up but fumbled badly in the storytelling, especially regarding cinematics.

I think CE is an exception (and is exceptional to me in so many ways, the GOAT!) because it was the first game with nothing else to build on. Everything was mysterious, and nothing could be compared to something prior.

So I suppose I should clarify that ODST IMO is the best narative execution based in a pre-existing setting and timeline. I think that it showed an approach that could allow so many smaller tales to be told in the Halo universe without everything having to be Space Jesus Saves the Galaxy. Loved it, and it was really well done.

a.wd

Thanks, I worked pretty hard on that piece, 'cause it's a series I care about a lot. But, I mean, deep analysis stuff is basically the gig I have right now at Kotaku, so I try to keep all my stuff up to snuff.

With the gameplay stuff... I could have done an entire piece, so I kept it as objective as I could: the amount of hits I'm doing should be downing enemies the way they used to, but they don't. The enemies seem to be taking more damage, while I seem to be taking less. The amount of one-shot kills I took in that game was ridiculous compared to, uh... every other Halo. I liked it better when the only one-shots came from guys with swords who were very easy to see and prioritize, y'know? But, like... I could go forever on this angle.

I really appreciated the article, and some of your thoughts I agree with, I think something of the mystery and therefore the heroism has been lost in the development of the series, but I also acknowledge that you need some resolution otherwise you end up like the end of lost.

The campaign of H5 was such a good campaign (it had some points I didn't like, some of the cutscenes could have been done in gameplay and would have been better for it) but in terms of dynamic action I think you may be playing it a certain way and expecting something very different from what it actually offers.

The moment to moment gameplay loop is actually the best (imo) in a Halo game.

You can move so quickly, have so many offensive options, and also have a team to revive you if the plan doesn't work out so when you say bullet sponge enemies I have to think you played a different game to me (apart from the warden, but even then there is a specific way to play him that renders him a moving target not a sponge).

Again I appreciate the article, well written and obviously sent with love, and I agree that more character development should occur (blue team the lost missions between the end of fall of reach and now, Lockes Oni ninja death days before he was a spartan, Buck rocking some more ODST missions) but the central point of the game is for me the juxtaposition of the very personal (getting Cortana) and the massive sci fi concept ( what if AI's ruled the weapons?), so for me it worked. But I always wanted more from gaming in terms of looking at big concepts so for me that works.

Jinaar

One of the very very very few chest pieces I don't hate.

1055_0_2044_3029_24_2

because it actually feels like a protective piece and not a sports bra

It looks like a transformed Veritech Fighter :) Looks great and I have that helmet too. Love it.

vf-1j-battloid.gif

I wish we'd get the weekend playlist a little early. I didn't vote for rumble rockets, but I think it's going to be a fun playlist to take a break from SWAT with.

Boy howdy I sure got lucky with that legendary EXP boost, the biggest I've gotten prior was about 7,500. I was only 70% of the way to 51 before this game.

vPlgQcf.png

Raide

Slowly getting a hang of Warzone. Trying to learn how to get to objectives, where the choke points/killzones are and swapping out weapons to balance out things.

So wish there was a Battlefield style spotting mechanic :D

BraXzy

Boy howdy I sure got lucky with that legendary EXP boost, the biggest I've gotten prior was about 7,500. I was only 70% of the way to 51 before this game.

Damn that's quite the boost. Did you do anything in particular to get that much? Did the match last a really long time or something?

What helmet and armor is this?

Helmet is War Master
Armour is Recluse.
Not sure what variants though. I use recluse and love it's description:

The RECLUSE does not appear in any UNSC logistics tracking system, nor does it bare any manufacturing markings. It is a suit that doesn't exist, created for missions that never happened, by Spartans who never were.

It looks like a transformed Veritech Fighter :) Looks great and I have that helmet too. Love it.

-img snip-

It's literally what I thought, the first time I saw those thrusters. Been using it ever since. Love it.

Raide

No Turkey Weapon Skins?
No "Gobble gobble" SFX?
No "Stuffing a thanksgiving grenade in a Spartans ass" assassination?

Weak 343...weak.

Damn that's quite the boost. Did you do anything in particular to get that much? Did the match last a really long time or something?

It was a Legendary Warzone AI Kills one where the higher up the Top 50% ladder you get the more points and I am pretty darn sure I was at the top for AI kills by a lot.

Omni

I just have no motivation to return to this game.

My biggest issue is that they've locked everything behind requisitions. In previous Halos - even Halo 4 - I had reason to come back and work on things. Like the Legendary campaign. Or finding collectables. Or whatever else.

Now I feel like I'm just forced to gamble in order to get cool looking gear and items. No one is earning a damn thing here. You just get lucky. Which I don't find fun at all.

Ramirez

Let's get ready to Rumble!

Awful.

^ What exactly were you "earning" in past games? Credits and the like are basically RP, they're less avenues to get them, but it's not like anything in past games was hard enough to obtain that you "earned" it, lol.

I just have no motivation to return to this game.

My biggest issue is that they've locked everything behind requisitions. In previous Halos - even Halo 4 - I had reason to come back and work on things. Like the Legendary campaign. Or finding collectables. Or whatever else.

Now I feel like I'm just forced to gamble in order to get cool looking gear and items. No one is earning a damn thing here. You just get lucky. Which I don't find fun at all.

What?
The only thing reallt locked behind the request system is multi-player skins and war zone reqs.

Legendary campaign isnt stuck behind a paywall...There are like 130 collectibles scattered throughout the campaign not behind a pay wall. ..

In fact nothing relates to campaign is locked behind any sort of pay wall.

BraXzy

I don't know why but I thought this was a team gametype. I saw a blue guy and thought oh I think he's on my team.

Then he blew me up. Oops

This is gonna be a K/D tank for some people I can tell. Possibly myself included.

What?
The only thing reallt locked behind the request system is multi-player skins and war zone reqs.

Legendary campaign isnt stuck behind a paywall...There are like 130 collectibles scattered throughout the campaign not behind a pay wall. ..

In fact nothing relates to campaign is locked behind any sort of pay wall.

Pretty sure he is talking about armour and such that can be unlocked through challenges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom