• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glass

Can players really kick you for one betrayal on Breakout? Top of my team, one bad grenade and kicked on the 7th round. Gosh darnit.

Can players really kick you for one betrayal on Breakout? Top of my team, one bad grenade and kicked on the 7th round. Gosh darnit.

I've never gotten the option when betrayed for the first time in BO, but I have in other modes. I think it may heavily depend on what your betrayal history has been across the board though.

Caja 117

rainbow is in open beta so a ton of people will be playing that no questions, destiny has the casual crowd by the neck, fallout is fallout, gta is gta, fifa is huge in europe, madden is madden and NBA I guess is big in the US?

Halo 5 is a good game but it lacks the pulling power for the casual group even with warzone and it's req cards, it has no firefight for a start nor does it have infection that was a game type everyone voted for in reach to the point where they made a dedicated infection hopper for it, it's that popular.

The Playlist for Halo 5 are just too competitive now for a casual taste, going to CoD is a less painful experience than playing in a playlist like Team Slayer, get paired against Onyx and proceed to get systematically destroyed.

Overall, Halo is a very difficult game to get in to for a new comer and is frustrating to learn and be good, if it weren't for my friends I wouldn't had dedicated so many hours to Halo back on the Halo 2/3 days and would had probably played something less hardcore.

I've had someone betray me in Breakout because they wanted the active camo. As much as I wanted to ban the option didn't pop up.

I've had someone betray (and rather obvious about it) in BTB and it let me boot them the first time.

The Playlist for Halo 5 are just too competitive now for a casual taste, going to CoD is a less painful experience than playing in a playlist like Team Slayer, get paired against Onyx and proceed to get systematically destroyed.

Overall, Halo is a very difficult game to get in to for a new comer and is frustrating to learn and be good, if it weren't for my friends I wouldn't had dedicated so many hours to Halo back on the Halo 2/3 days and would had probably played something less hardcore.

You're not wrong about this. You can and will even get wrecked in the casual Warzone when folks play it more like slayer than an objective game. Sniped. Spawn. Tanked. Spawn. BR scoped when you haven't unlocked a fucking BR with scope at level 50. Spawn. Splattered by a ghost.

But there is nothing more infuriating than when a forerunner soldier hits you with a scatter grenade when you first jump out of the Vulture.

kaNgzRQ.gif

Dinokill

Man... It's really sad to see Halo falls back to number 11 in most played games.
COD
Fallout
Fifa
GTA
Destiny
BF
NBA
Minecraft
Madden
Rainbow Six beta

Aaaaaannnd and Halo 5.

What gives?? :/

Where do you see what games are played the most? In the XBOX OS or some tracking website?

Montresor

I'm up to the middle of mission 5 on Legendary. I think the first Warden fight is coming up...

Can someone confirm - are there any sections in this game with infinite respawns? So far I haven't seen that yet, and if that's the case then the Warden fights should all be manageable with a lot of patience on Legendary.

I really like arena but social side of the game needs to be stronger and fun. Also BTB maps look garbage, Battlefront stole good amount of Halo players too. Game looks amazing and big maps are really good..Halo 4 and MCC damaged the Halo aswell. 343 needs to work hard to bring people back to Halo..

I'm up to the middle of mission 5 on Legendary. I think the first Warden fight is coming up...

Can someone confirm - are there any sections in this game with infinite respawns? So far I haven't seen that yet, and if that's the case then the Warden fights should all be manageable with a lot of patience on Legendary.

I think you're asking if there are sections with "finite" respawns. The answer is no. Patience grasshopper. That first Warden is a complete asshole on Legendary unless you're doing it co-op.

Montresor

I think you're asking if there are sections with "finite" respawns. The answer is no. Patience grasshopper. That first Warden is a complete asshole on Legendary unless you're doing it co-op.

Sorry, I meant infinitely respawning enemies, like in Modern Warfare 1 or Black Ops 1.

That first Warden is a complete asshole on Legendary unless you're doing it co-op.

Bah, too bad co-op is not an option (since there is an achievement for beating the game solo Legendary).

Trup1aya

Man... It's really sad to see Halo falls back to number 11 in most played games.
COD
Fallout
Fifa
GTA
Destiny
BF
NBA
Minecraft
Madden
Rainbow Six beta

Aaaaaannnd and Halo 5.

What gives?? :/

Damn, halo less played than Battlefeild...

I'm not terribly surprised by most of the others but damn! I can't get enough of Halo, but i guess I'm in the minority.

Man I wish they launched with more content.

The theme I see here is that most of those games target a casual audience

Detective

Where do you see what games are played the most? In the XBOX OS or some tracking website?

Yeah. Store and most played games.

You know, when you need to call in 50 tanks at once. Escape from ARC? More like Destroy every fuckin' ARC ever.

loool.
One match I called 3 tanks almost in a row. The other team went crazy.

Too bad most of teammates are not team players.

When they get the tank I always protect them.

Glass

Just had a hilarious game of Breakout, lost 0-5. One guy with a mic, getting all our kills pretty much, then one kid also with a mic, 0 kills the whole time. He asks the guy all these questions whilst the guy is trying to clutch it pretty much every round. Best part was the kid asking 'Why do the enemy team keep twerking on my corpse?' with the guy responding 'It's not twerking, I'm not going to say what it is.' So funny, felt so bad for this guy getting stuck with our useless asses.

The learning curve is just too much for most people. There are reasons why games like CoD are so popular, anyone can do well with minimal effort. People love feeling good about themselves calling in kill streaks and what not, pretty much CoD makes everyone feel like a winner. You could be completely terrible at the game, yet still get some decent kill streaks. In Halo if you're terrible at the game you just get punished for it, there is very little hand holding. This turns off a lot of people; there is a reason why game modes like Rumble Rockets are so popular.

Halo is a niche genre on consoles now, in my view, Halo would be better off moving to PC.

Strider

I want that playlist badly, but right now it would just be 100% Slayer. We need Oddball, KOTH, hell, maybe even something like Headhunter to make that playlist interesting.

True :/

KotH and CTF are my favorite Halo game types. Sad one isn't around and the other is in a playlist with slayer and breakout.

I'd queue Team Arena a hell of a lot more if it wasn't for Breakout. I just don't like it at all... I don't think it's bad I just typically don't enjoy round based modes like that. CS is the only exception but that game is built entirely around that elimination format sooooo....

VinFTW

In regards to player population seemingly dropping everyday more and more:

The install base on the Xbox one isn't there, which makes it all the more important for 343 to have a proper launch.

They NEEDED to be perfect, and while they should be commended for a relatively great launch in terms networking and bugs, they failed to deliver a system that keeps casual players coming back.

Halo isn't halo without whacky custom games, silly theater clips and pictures and that colorful, playful art/aesthetic.

It's so serious in tone most of the time and it's really overbearing to be so competitive and serious all the time.

I want to spend 50% of my time playing with a to4 trying to rank up, and the other 50% I want to spend playing hide and seek on backwash, or assault on a proper btb map, hell, even juggernaut on colorful, non competitive dev made maps.

These key experiences are missing, and it's depressing.

It's gone from a fun, playful, yet competitive shooter to an eSport focused game with a super serious atmosphere. Not to mention its viability as an eSport isn't perfect either (powerful autos, strict matchmaking system making it seem dead, radar, etc).

Things like firefight don't keep pros or eSports scenes around or thriving but they keep your population around and makes the game fresh and lively. Weekly and daily challenges, social playlists, whacky gametypes, you know, THE FUN STUFF, is what I miss the most right now.

This sustain plan needs to be shifted and fast forwarded, ASAP.

Sorry for the typos and bad grammar, using my iphen.

Rant over.

The install base on the Xbox one isn't there, which makes it all the more important for 343 to have a proper launch.

They NEEDED to be perfect, and while they should be commended for a relatively great launch in terms networking and bugs, they failed to deliver a system that keeps casual players coming back.

Halo isn't halo without whacky custom games, silly theater clips and pictures and that colorful, playful art/aesthetic.

It's so serious in tone most of the time and it's really overbearing to be so competitive and serious all the time.

I want to spend 50% of my time playing with a to4 trying to rank up, and the other 50% I want to spend playing hide and seek on backwash, or assault on a proper btb map, hell, even juggernaut on colorful, non competitive dev made maps.

It's gone from a fun, playful, yet competitive shooter to an eSport focused game with a super serious atmosphere. Not to mention its viability as an eSport isn't perfect either (powerful autos, strict matchmaking system making it seem dead, radar, etc).

Things like firefight don't keep pros or eSports scenes around or thriving but they keep your population around and makes the game fresh and lively. Weekly and daily challenges, social playlists, whacky gametypes, you know, THE FUN STUFF, is what I miss the most right now.

Rant over.

This is true, there needs to be a balance between competitive and causal, and at the moment it's too focused on being a competitive game. Even BTB feels competitive and it really shouldn't be. The only real casual mode is WZ and it only has three maps, so people aren't going to play it for too long. We need game modes like: Headhunter, Grifball, Invasion, and etc. I'm going to bring up Reach again, but there was a reason why it was so successful; it had something for everyone.

Bessy67

Strongholds is weird in that I've never been in a game of it that is remotely close. I either have all the idiots playing slayer on my team or those idiots are all on the other team resulting in hugely lopsided scores. I really wish there was an objective playlist so I could play the objective modes without the idiots that insist on playing slayer during them.

Can't sell gold subscriptions on PC.

Monetize in-game (Reqs, etc.). Their stubborn intransigence to support their own platform with games has lead to them completely conceding the digital marketplace on Windows to competitors who would like nothing else but to undermine them from within their own walls. How long are they going to sit idly by and let Steam (and now Sony, making their own in-home streaming to PC) dig the foundation out from underneath them.

Companies that are afraid to disrupt themselves will eventually have someone else do it for them (Steam).

Trup1aya

Rant over.

Pretty much this...

I'm still a lil baffled at the omission of daily and weekly challanges... Seems like it would have been another way to keep people coming back, and could have been easily tied to the req system...

Launching without some of Halo's key modes and gametypes was a huge mistake. Even if they weren't going to be part of HCS right away, people should be able to play Juggernaut, KoTH, OddBall, Regicide etc, right now in custom games.

Also, the lack of firefight is another glaring omission, that again, would have been perfect for firefight...

No dev made maps for BTB, on top of no BTB at launch. Again baffling.

They keep talking about a sustain plan, but if their plan what's to sustain if everyone leaves because of a lack of meat with their potatoes?

Tawpgun

Imagine if they had weekly challenges that if you completed would give you a silver or maybe gold tier req pack.

343 did nail the gameplay. But it does need that silly fun factor back. Hopefully the forge update delivers.

Toa TAK

Banned

Rant over.
Nailed it.

It's a bummer in that sense because they absolutely nailed the multiplayer here. The game is just missing some sense of variety when it comes to the playlists. Hell, even the objective gametypes like CTF, Strongholds, and such should all be dedicated. Then there's the lack of Doubles as a permanent playlist (which boggles my mind). At least SWAT got in there, which is really surprising considering the rest.

Pretty much this...

I'm still a lil baffled at the omission of daily and weekly challanges... Seems like it would have been another way to keep people coming back, and could have been easily tied to the req system...

Launching without some of Haloms key modes was a huge mistake. Even if they weren't going to be part of HCS right away, people should be able to play Juggernaut, KoTH, OddBall, Regicide etc, right now in custom games.

Also, the lack of firefight is another glaring omission, that again, would have been perfect for firefight...

They keep talking about a sustain plan, but if their plan what's to sustain if everyone leaves because of a lack of meat with their potatoes?

Its repeating the same story with every game with these guys. At what point can we just safety say that they just cant deliver?

I get the "new studio" an all but im honestly getting quite fed up of waiting for improvements to things that with a little common sense should have been there from day one. Especially when a ton of these things were available in passed halo games.

Edit: Like my impression is that it always seems like they're just overwhelmed by all the features theyre working on so they delay some stuff cause of the workload (like BTB and forge) but then when the game is out you notice how even with the delayed stuff, the game is still lacking a lot of features passed halo games always had. I mean how is it Bungie managed to do this but they cant? At one point, maybe we have to realise that maybe they just aint good enough.

A Custom Games Browser needs to be made a priority with Halo 6 for the reasons you're all saying.

This is broadly what I want for Halo moving forward:
  1. Campaign w/ 4p co-op
  2. Matchmaking for ranked Arena gametypes
  3. Matchmaking for unranked Warzone + BTB
  4. Matchmaking for Firefight + Firefight Versus + Invasion = Mix of pvp/pve modes where it's Spartans vs human/AI-controlled enemies
  5. Custom Games Browser
  6. Forge
  7. Theater + Spectator Mode
Almost there, but not quite yet.

Trup1aya

Its repeating the same story with every game with these guys. At what point can we just safety say that they just cant deliver?

I get the "new studio" an all but im honestly getting quite fed up of waiting for improvements to things that with a little common sense should have been there from day one. Especially when a ton of these things were available in passed halo games.

Edit: Like my impression is that it always seems like they're just overwhelmed by all the features theyre working on so they delay some stuff cause of the workload (like BTB and forge) but then when the game is out you notice how even with the delayed stuff, the game is still lacking a lot of features passed halo games always had. I mean how is it Bungie managed to do this but they cant? At one point, maybe we have to realise that maybe they just aint good enough.

I dunno, I'm not programmer, but I can't imaging there are any technical or talent related issues when it comes to missing gametypes. They are just variants of the existing base game. Instead, I HAVE to think is was a decision based around their sustain model. Seems to me that someone high up said; "lets launch with just enough content to keep people's interest for a couple months, then trickle out more content to keep people interest beyond that. Maybe they looked at Destiny and said, if people can play that for a year with very little content, surely this game will do fine with free monthly updates. They forgot to add all the hooks Destiny has though.

What they failed to realize is that people were already apprehensive towards their work AND people have expectations that come along with Halo launches. The over estimated there base games draw.

I can maybe see them being overwhelmed by having to work of Arena, BTB, Forge, and Warzone. But the exclusion of Oddball, Juggernaut, Koth etc, HAD to have been a bone-headed, yet intentional decision.

I think they have the talent to deliver. This is the most fun I've had with halo MP since H2. They just don't have the management.

Raide

Warzone where players get to be Grunts.

Or some REQ card drop that lets you be a random boss in the Warzone match, just to mess up someone day.

BraXzy

Warzone where players get to be Grunts.

Or some REQ card drop that lets you be a random boss in the Warzone match, just to mess up someone day.

It would be awesome to have a game mode that takes all of the cool stuff in the sandbox and just goes crazy with it, for something fun that isn't competitive in the slightest.

arimanius

Pretty much this...

Launching without some of Halo's key modes and gametypes was a huge mistake. Even if they weren't going to be part of HCS right away, people should be able to play Juggernaut, KoTH, OddBall, Regicide etc, right now in custom games.

So much this. I bought battlefront because I got tired of the lack of content in Halo. If they had challenges, more modes, and some pve content I could use my reqs on I would be in heaven.

I get depressed thinking about how great the gameplay is but the lack of content is killing it.

Caja 117

Imagine if they had weekly challenges that if you completed would give you a silver or maybe gold tier req pack.

343 did nail the gameplay. But it does need that silly fun factor back. Hopefully the forge update delivers.

The fun factor is there, is just missing content IMO: Social Playlists, Gametypes, challenges, etc. I can play hours and hours of this day and enjoy it, but thats me that loves Halo, and absolutely find Halo 5 MP to be top notch, but, and no offense to 343, Halo 5 MP looks like more like the first game of a series than the 6th game it looks raw and not with the amount of content we are used to have in Halo, yes, they will come up with those eventually, and I have no doubt in my mind, that when 343 came to decide what was not going to be in the initial release some tears of sadness came down from Frankie and the rest of the team, but the competition out there is relentless with other FPS, and the non hardcore fans (and some hardcore fans) will just go and just move on.

I dunno, I'm not programmer, but I can't imaging there are any technical or talent related issues when it comes to missing gametypes. They are just variants of the existing base game. Instead, I HAVE to think is was a decision based around their sustain model. Seems to me that someone high up said; "lets launch with just enough content to keep people's interest for a couple months, then trickle out more content to keep people interest beyond that. Maybe they looked at Destiny and said, if people can play that for a year with very little content, surely this game will do fine with free monthly updates. They forgot to add all the hooks Destiny has though.

What they failed to realize is that people were already apprehensive towards their work AND people have expectations that come along with Halo launches. The over estimated there base games draw.

I can maybe see them being overwhelmed by having to work of Arena, BTB, Forge, and Warzone. But the exclusion of Oddball, Juggernaut, Koth etc, HAD to have been a bone-headed, yet intentional decision.

I think they have the talent to deliver. This is the most fun I've had with halo MP since H2. They just don't have the management.

I think is the same reason why Split screen wasnt included, it not about talent (its just cringe worthy when anyone call to suspect the talent of a developer) Frankie gave a brief reason about it, it looks like more with the timing on adding the features than having problems doing it, not to mention, things looks way different from their end, over here the only thing we can say "ohh Halo 5 is ranked $$$" but I don't think they measure how their game is doing based on a list open to the public.

Trup1aya

The fun factor is there, is just missing content IMO: Social Playlists, Gametypes, challenges, etc. I can play hours and hours of this day and enjoy it, but thats me that loves Halo, and absolutely find Halo 5 MP to be top notch, but, and no offense to 343, Halo 5 MP looks like more like the first game of a series than the 6th game it looks raw and not with the amount of content we are used to have in Halo, yes, they will come up with those eventually, and I have no doubt in my mind, that when 343 came to decide what was not going to be in the initial release some tears of sadness came down from Frankie and the rest of the team, but the competition out there is relentless with other FPS, and the non hardcore fans (and some hardcore fans) will just go and just move on.

I think is the same reason why Split screen wasnt included, it not about talent (its just cringe worthy when anyone call to suspect the talent of a developer) Frankie gave a brief reason about it, it looks like more with the timing on adding the features than having problems doing it, not to mention, things looks way different from their end, over here the only thing we can say "ohh Halo 5 is ranked $$$" but I don't think they measure how their game is doing based on a list open to the public.

I can see timing effecting modes like Forge or firefight. I can see timing being a reason to omit things like daily and weekly challenges. I can also see timing affecting the number of dev made modes at launch.

But I really cant see how timing would prevent them from having the old modes back. Like I said, I'm no programmer, but if you have mechanisms for nuetral flag, how much time would it take to impliment odd ball? if you have strongholds how long should it take to implement KotH. If you have FFA slayer how hard could it be to impliment Juggernaut. You've got team slayer, why no VIP.

These game modes, at a technical level are minor variations of the gamemodes that shipped with the game. They don't need new maps or anything.

In regards to Forge, it's sort of sad to me that 343i still seems pretty ignorant of the potential of player-made content to enrich the game. Crowdsourcing has worked for way, way more intense things than videa games, for Christ's sake. You just need to give people the right tools, and they'll work for free. Some of the most popular gametypes (SWAT, Zombies, Grifball...) have come out of the community.

Velcoro

Nailed it.

It's a bummer in that sense because they absolutely nailed the multiplayer here. The game is just missing some sense of variety when it comes to the playlists. Hell, even the objective gametypes like CTF, Strongholds, and such should all be dedicated. Then there's the lack of Doubles as a permanent playlist (which boggles my mind). At least SWAT got in there, which is really surprising considering the rest.

If we had some social playlists too it would be awesome. Sometimes I just want to chill out and have fun. Everytime I hop on to play I feel like I need to be in the zone and ready to focus. But sometimes I just wanna chilllll.

I remember running Custom FFA's in Halo 3 and all of us would play for hours.

Monocle

You might find this video helpful. That channel has good strategies for cheesing or skipping all of the Warden encounters.

BradC00

i pretty much just threw everything i could at the wardens until they ded.

jet1911

I would love a gun game playlist. Can we have a gun game playlist Frankie? Or daily and weekly challenges for the campaign? Pluuuuuuheaaaaase.

I wonder if they ever plan to add a tab to see medals post game? It's kind of a joke it's not implemented already, it was something that people complained about in the beta.

So much this. I bought battlefront because I got tired of the lack of content in Halo. If they had challenges, more modes, and some pve content I could use my reqs on I would be in heaven.

I get depressed thinking about how great the gameplay is but the lack of content is killing it.

Hows all that content in Battlefront though?

While I agree wholeheartedly about the game needing more nooblet/casual gametypes I find it odd that other FPS get a pass on this for some reason. Battlefront was called for it but COD basically got a free pass even though it has fewer weapons than ever and it basically ripped off titanfall/destiny with traversal and specials.

Glass

A month after launch and still no way to mute the lobby. Fuck I hate kinect.
Having loads of fun tonight, swapped from my big tv to my comp monitor and the aiming has finally clicked.

I just found a 416 player lobby:

Unfortunately, it wouldn't start the game so thanks 343i. I was preparing myself for a crazy game. :p

Also, a guy was shooting our Core in a match prior to that and I told him that nothing will happen. He then proceeds to threaten me with calling the SWAT on me. Nice fella overall. Here are his messages: http://i.imgur.com/0EHi6vd.png. And does anybody know what "Fat You" means? lol

I see you found the elusive Bitter Quitters MM penalty server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom