• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO Max removes 4K and Dolby Vision support for Xbox One and Xbox Series platforms

What do you mostly use to watch your streaming services?

• Total voters

StereoVsn

I find TV apps to be buggy, slow and annoying. So I usually either use Apple TV 4K (main room and bedroom) and consoles in kids room and game room.

This is unfortunate, hopefully Xbox will support new codes. Meanwhile I can always use PS5 and kids don't care about 4K.

Three

First, AV1 exists because companies like HBO and Netflix do not want to pay royalties to other formats such as HEVC, so they grouped together and made their own.
Second, it saves them a lot of bandwidth because video streams can of a smaller size than competing formats.
Third, with all that money saving business in the back of your mind: they still remove 4k and Dolby Vision.

Conclusion: fuck HBO, their service is a scam, AV1 exists because solely for $$$ reasons and hardware decoding is poo-poo right now because only the latest and greatest (three fiddy percent of the world) supports it.
Not sure how that makes AV1 a scam.
A royalty free, open codec is good. Lower bandwidth usage is good, saves you money and data usage.
AV1 still supports 4k and Dolby Vision, just doesn't work on xbox for some reason.

I see folks on the internet complain a lot about smart TVs but I've never seen an annoying ad on my LG TV. But I'm in Europe so maybe that's why.
I'm sure they are data mining the hell out of me though.

Bo_Hazem

Gold Dealer
I see folks on the internet complain a lot about smart TVs but I've never seen an annoying ad on my LG TV. But I'm in Europe so maybe that's why.
I'm sure they are data mining the hell out of me though.

Never had an issue with smart TV's native apps, and I have a 2015 LG and a 2016 Sony, both are budget 4K TV's. Actually Sony got way, way better throughout the years with all the updates that are still constant vs LG stopped in like 1.5 years.

ManaByte

If true, does it have to do with the support of AV1, the new compression that is slightly better than H.265 in compression/quality and open source (no licensing required vs H.265)? PS4 Pro and PS5 support it:
PS4 Pro and PS5 support AV1, but neither support Dolby Vision or Atmos so…

Confused Power Rangers GIF

Mr Moose

PS4 Pro and PS5 support AV1, but neither support Dolby Vision or Atmos so…

Confused Power Rangers GIF
Currently, Microsoft™ Xbox™ is the only console that supports Atmos for gaming. Sony™ PlayStation® 5 doesn’t, at least for now. For games, PS5 has its own immersive format called Tempest 3D Audio, although it does support Atmos for streaming video or when using the built-in 4K Blu-ray player. There have been reports about future support in PS5 for object-based audio formats like Atmos and DTS:X™, but nothing has been confirmed … yet.
However, a Playstation 5 can also play Blu-Rays. And what it can do in that case, is send audio data from a Blu-Ray directly to a receiver. This is called pass-through. The Playstation passes on the audio data without touching it. This means no Tempest chip, and the audio channels are up to the Blu-Ray creators.

So, a Playstation cannot produce Dolby Atmos from a game, but it can play a Blu-Ray movie with Dolby Atmos encoded on the Blu-ray. This leads to a lot of confusion online. You can play Dolby Atmos movies on disc on a Playstation 5, but you cannot produce Dolby Atmos or 3D PCM from a video game running on a Playstation 5. Something that, for example, an XBox Series X can do: it supports Dolby Atmos fully.
Is this not correct?

diffusionx

I use HBO Max on PS5 and it is a massive piece of shit app. One time my password just stopped working and it was because they changed the allowable strings without telling anyone. It crashes constantly and yea it's just a giant hunk of shit. I suspect some IT company in Bangalore is writing all these apps but obviously nobody at HBO HQ is actually using it. It sucks.

ManaByte

Is this not correct?
Whoever wrote that doesn’t own a PS5. The streaming apps (like Disney+) don’t support Atmos and even though many iTunes movies on the Apple TV app will have their Atmos support complete with the logo, they can only output in LPCM 7.1 48kHz or 5.1 Dolby/DTS on the console.

Likewise the spatial audio on the Apple Music app (which is mastered for Atmos) is gimped as it also is limited to the same output as everything else.

Last edited:

ManaByte

The PS5 is not feature complete for 4k Blu-ray playback imo, that's why I use a Panasonic udp820 for that (Dolby Vision support plus hdr mapping to suit various display types).
Neither console can do Dolby Vision for Blu-Rays.

I cannot imagine fucking around with console apps. My TV has decent apps on it (LG CX) but I sitll 99% of the time go to my 4k apple tv. It's such a better experience.

jaysius

Canadians are laughing in CRAVE the provider that has all the HBO content in Canada, we don't even have better than STEREO audio on Xbox OR PS4/5, or even the WEB BROWSER and many platforms still get it in 720p.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Gold Dealer
Canadians are laughing in CRAVE the provider that has all the HBO content in Canada, we don't even have better than STEREO audio on Xbox OR PS4/5, or even the WEB BROWSER and many platforms still get it in 720p.

And I was angry that we only have 1080p for HBO through OSN+ (has Paramount as well with other OSN+ originals and stuff). Looks very good but compared to Netflix's 4K + HDR it's still a downgrade.

Last edited:

soulbait

The problem with using Smart TV apps is over time they slow down and can no longer be updated due to the TV not being powerful enough.

I will use my TV Apps sometimes, but also if I am wanting to use my Hue Sync Box to sync lights with the TV, then I will play through my Xbox. eArc does not send out the video, only the audio, so it won't work with it. Also, in theory the consoles could do better audio due to not being limited by eArc restrictions. However, this is not the case with any apps right now. The only thing I will absolutely use my Xbox for streaming is Hulu. For some damn reason, Hulu has not updated their app in Sony TVs to do 5.1 surround sound. It drives me mad. The Xbox will do it though.

Bo_Hazem

Gold Dealer
The problem with using Smart TV apps is over time they slow down and can no longer be updated due to the TV not being powerful enough.

I will use my TV Apps sometimes, but also if I am wanting to use my Hue Sync Box to sync lights with the TV, then I will play through my Xbox. eArc does not send out the video, only the audio, so it won't work with it. Also, in theory the consoles could do better audio due to not being limited by eArc restrictions. However, this is not the case with any apps right now. The only thing I will absolutely use my Xbox for streaming is Hulu. For some damn reason, Hulu has not updated their app in Sony TVs to do 5.1 surround sound. It drives me mad. The Xbox will do it though.

Not sure what sort of TV's and how old are they. Mine is 2016 and that's already pretty old and all apps work perfectly and the system regularly updated (Android).

sainraja

Damn Xbox, you can't do even simple industry standard correctly.
I assume this is on xbox and not some back door shady Sony money under table thing.

I gave up on my built in Samsung Apps as they never get updated and Crunchyroll bailed.
Bought that Apple TV 4k, expensive but worth it. Everything works including HBO Max watching LOU with all the bells and whistles.
I don't use consoles for TV or video apps anymore since getting the Apple TV. It is a great little thing.

soulbait

Not sure what sort of TV's and how old are they. Mine is 2016 and that's already pretty old and all apps work perfectly and the system regularly updated (Android).

I have Sony TVs. The latest is a X95J and it still runs good overall. It does lock up a little too much for my liking, causing me to have to reboot the TV. Especially if I am switching between apps a lot.

My X930E is getting too slow for me, which I got in 2017, runs too slow for me. Its responsiveness compared to my X95J is very noticable and can get frustrating. Thankfully, it is only a secondary TV and not used a lot at this time. I am usually using it for Spotify in my office, which I can use my computer to control, or some gaming on my Xbox One X if my main TV is occupied.

Bo_Hazem

Gold Dealer
I have Sony TVs. The latest is a X95J and it still runs good overall. It does lock up a little too much for my liking, causing me to have to reboot the TV. Especially if I am switching between apps a lot.

My X930E is getting too slow for me, which I got in 2017, runs too slow for me. Its responsiveness compared to my X95J is very noticable and can get frustrating. Thankfully, it is only a secondary TV and not used a lot at this time. I am usually using it for Spotify in my office, which I can use my computer to control, or some gaming on my Xbox One X if my main TV is occupied.

Interesting. Maybe because I don't switch between apps at all and usually just use a single app at a time so maybe not much happening in the background? Not snappy but I would argue it's as fast as on the iPad Pro or close to.

JackMcGunns

No we use NVIDIA Shield Pros like a normal person.

I use the new Apple TV 4K because imo it offers the best Dolby Atmos music via Apple Music. I have a 7.4.4 setup and it's Godsend! A15 Bionic chip is pretty beefy too for a streaming device, everything is super snappy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom