• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO Original | The Last of Us | Part 1 OT | Endure & Survive

JfaYOqs.jpg

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Man.

Sarah's death hit harder this time around.
Actually thought the prologue was done better in the game.
Nice some dialogue was carried over and some scenes.
I think they showed too much of the infected and for how much they need to tell they extended parts & cut parts unnecessary.
The City part is definitely better in the game.
And Sarah's death felt more emotional in the game too.
I just wasn't feeling Pedro performance in that scene.
I'm not knocking it, still good so far.
But I definitely think the way it was done in the game was better.

Represent.

Banned
Also im happy to say that the quality on HBO Max was actually pretty good. Still not Netflix or Apple TV crisp but very solid. Solid Dolby Vision.
Everything looked amazing on my OLED and holy fuck am I happy I bought a new audio set up recently. Shit was singing.

Last edited:

Ansphn

This was absolutely amazing. Better than the game in a lot of ways. I can't wait for next Sunday. I doubted the castings but they brought them to life.

Last edited:

Foilz

Even though I found the first game utterly boring after 4 hours I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. I kinda had a walking dead vibe. I think the casting was perfect.

gow3isben

Very Very good. Bella nailed Ellie like Cavill nailed Geralt.

But Witcher show except geralt and dandelion is dogshit and this was great.

Last edited:

Poppyseed

parts of it were great. parts of it seemed like a bad Walking Dead spinoff. and kinda hokey. So i wish they could kinda keep the quality even. Which they didn't.

Pedro was decent. The little girl was good. I don't feel like they are the exact ppl from the game tho. They def put their spin on it a little. whatever. I don't like the game anyway.

the adult woman with the black eye was the best actor in the episode. She was very believable. the leader of the firefly boston chick who was bleeding out was the worst actor in the episode
Agreed. That was Marlene and she wasn’t super convincing to me, either. The acting is… a little too act-y, if that makes sense? Absolutely it captures The Last of Us’s spirit quite well, and the budget is clearly there, but somehow it’s lacking something, - like I don’t believe the film sets enough or the sense of space. Hopefully that will change in future episodes. The prologue and opening scene were the best part of the episode, and I was almost *gasp* bored by the rest of it.

Last edited:
What i had to put up with and hear for 10 years: "This game's story is nothing special. if this was a TV show or movie no one would care...this story has been told millions of times and better. People only talk about this cause of its presentation as a videogame."

The real world NOW with a TV show out there:

Haters just can't win with this IP and it's amazing to witness, lmao.

Sorry but i waited a LONG time to make a post like this and it's here!

well if u believe that. Then u have to believe this game would've been forgotten or at best just something on a "hidden gem" list, if this game had been an Xbox exclusive. I don't think its as good as ppl like to claim it is. State of Decay came out the same week. And it held my attention way more. I always felt like it got the triple threat bump of PS exclusive CHECK/Naughty Dog game CHECK/Really pretty graphics CHECK. You make this an Xbox game with okay graphics from rando dev team.....and it wouldn't have gotten any 10's. But nobody wants to have that conversation

jaysius

A show that actually kept my girl awake, she fell asleep through Avatar 2, goddammit.

The scene in the truck and chaos around town was phenomenal... the plane crash. Beautiful.

Acting is on point. I like all the little extra things they added to the show.

Looking forward to the next one. HBO has another one. Druckmann and Mazin make a beautiful team.

I bet money Pedro will have an acting role in TLOU 3 as some new character.
Avatar 2 is 3h+… your logic is just awful.

DForce

Actually thought the prologue was done better in the game.
Nice some dialogue was carried over and some scenes.
I think they showed too much of the infected and for how much they need to tell they extended parts & cut parts unnecessary.
The City part is definitely better in the game.
And Sarah's death felt more emotional in the game too.
I just wasn't feeling Pedro performance in that scene.
I'm not knocking it, still good so far.
But I definitely think the way it was done in the game was better.
Yeah, I was referring to just Sarah's part in particular.

As for me.

Joel's house
TV Show > Game

City
Game > TV show

However, I did like the plane crash better than the truck sequence, tho.

njean777

Played the first game and thought it was pretty good. Will watch as I have HBO for the year so we shall see where it goes. Was hoping for more clickers, but seeing the previews they will come later. Look forward to watching!

reinking

well if u believe that. Then u have to believe this game would've been forgotten or at best just something on a "hidden gem" list, if this game had been an Xbox exclusive. I don't think its as good as ppl like to claim it is. State of Decay came out the same week. And it held my attention way more. I always felt like it got the triple threat bump of PS exclusive CHECK/Naughty Dog game CHECK/Really pretty graphics CHECK. You make this an Xbox game with okay graphics from rando dev team.....and it wouldn't have gotten any 10's. But nobody wants to have that conversation
Bored Blah Blah Blah GIF

gothmog

You're right. Nobody wants to have that conversation.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
For reference, go check the Console Screenshot Thread, I'm literally just after where this episode ends in TLOUPT1 so it's very fresh in my mind 😉
Anyway so after the first episode......
It's kinda what I expected, it's generally like most okay game adaptations (sorry I'm not seeing a big difference here)
Some changes I didn't like, some I did.
Some new stuff I didn't like, some I did.
I'm not a fan of the new story beats they put into it as what they cut was... better imo
but I guess they needed those actors to have more screen time I guess?
Everyone played their roles fine I have no complaints there.
But the look of the show looks kinda underwhelming in comparison to the game.
Like a TV adaptation of Blockbuster Movie.
It looks lower budget and the art direction, lighting etc just isn't there.
That's probably my biggest gripe.
Overall It's okay, could of been better and it could of been a lot worse
Hopefully it does get better later.

It was ok. Felt a bit rushed and the characters still feel off - it will take me a few episodes to adjust I imagine. Weirdly enough, it didn't feel as "cinematic" as the game.

I hated when the credits rolled though, wanted to keep going. Next episode can't come soon enough.

So I guess next episodes could go like this:
Episode 2: Museum + Death of Tess
Episode 3: Bill and Frank's episode where we see Frank's death
Episode 4: Getting the Car with Bill
Episode 5: Pittsburg Ambush and meeting Henry and Sam, ends with the deaths of Henry and Sam
Episode 6: Reuniting with Tommy and this is where we will see the "You have no idea what loss is" dialogue from Joel
Episode 7: Going to the Campus and/or Left Behind story
Episode 8: David's arc
Episode 9: Hospital

kyliethicc

So I guess next episodes could go like this:
Episode 2: Museum + Death of Tess
Episode 3: Bill and Frank's episode where we see Frank's death
Episode 4: Getting the Car with Bill
Episode 5: Pittsburg Ambush and meeting Henry and Sam, ends with the deaths of Henry and Sam
Episode 6: Reuniting with Tommy and this is where we will see the "You have no idea what loss is" dialogue from Joel
Episode 7: Going to the Campus and/or Left Behind story
Episode 8: David's arc
Episode 9: Hospital

1 is Prologue & beginning of Boston
2 is the rest of Boston
3 is Bill
4 and 5 are Henry & Sam
6 and 7 are Fall & Left Behind
8 is Winter
9 is Spring & Epilogue

roughly, more or less

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I thought it was well done. The things I liked better in the game were how it went down at night with the introduction to the infected. The neighbor running over and smashing on the glass door and then Joel coming in not really knowing what was going on I thought had more tension in the game.

And I thought how they met Ellie was better in the game.

But I don’t think the way they did it was bad in the show, it was fine.

Are there going to be multiple seasons? If so, I wonder if they have the balls to kill off Joel again.

Last edited:

Lasha

The first episode's close adherence to the game story drained much of my excitement. Forming an opinion is difficult when I felt like the episode was getting formalities out of the way. Everything looks great from a technical perspective though. I'm keen to see where the show goes next. My wife who never played the games enjoyed it more. She did get pissed when I told her it was a TV show.

I didn't follow the casting drama much. I think that the show should have swapped who plays Sarah and Ellie. Ellie's performance feels lower than the rest of the cast while Sarah's performance felt wasted on such a short role.

Top Bottom